Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

Is the Deli free? Or do I pay for the deli sandwiches? They do sound yummy..

Are can's of pop available from a pop machine? If I buy a can of pop at the bar, do I have to tip?

Deli: Free (Deli Menu)

Soda/ Pop: Some ships have a machine, I think only Triumph and Victory do.

Buying from a bar will have an automatic 15% tip.

i think that stinks, not only are cops underpaid for the work they do but they dont even get the respect they deserve as far as a nice vacation discount. i am not a cop or even related to one but i have always felt that they are enourmously underpaid.

i dont think the cops in bergen county NJ are underpaid.. they make a pretty decent salary--- BUT they dont get any discounts which stinks!!! blah

I got detained at Customs when they checked my purse because my round allergy medicine looked like a cookie and the agent was sure I was secretly hiding one. If you get away with it fine but the consequences can be significant if they ask if you have food and you say no and they find some. It's not the American justice system.

Ya, I heard of a guy, who heard of a guy who did hard time in a Cayman prision for smuggling chocolate chip cookies...

I guess the concept is closed / packaged items. Although everyone should take bottled water,,,who knows what that could contain...

I'm sorry, that's just creepy. What's weirder is that even you think there's something unsavory about it:

I am with you on this one!!! I cannot imagine buying pictures of someone else's children. And, I can imagine what my reaction would be if I found out that some stranger was buying pictures of my children.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I read all EIGHTY pages of this and I still have a couple of suggestions.

One is a variation on what someone else posted. I buy a cheap plastic file folder (not a binder, a collapsible file folder) to keep all my documents in. I used throw away manila file folders so I could reuse the file folder. One section is for all airline info, one for all hotel info. One for credit card copies and emergency numbers of credit cards, COLOR photocopies of the passports, cruise documents, and another can be used for receipts gathered throughout the cruise. I also print off an interesting page of information on each port and for the ship we'll be sailing so that I have some fun reading material for the plane ride down to Florida. In each of those same folders, I put all of our confirmations for the private (read: less expensive) excursions that we have planned. All of these documents are meant to be kept away from your originals IN CASE something happens. I also kept an emergency contact sheet in there which included family members and how to reach my DPS (darling pet sitter!). I just found it handy to have all things accessible in one spot.

My other tip is a variation of the lanyard. They are handy, for sure, but not so stylish, if you care about that. That lanyard did nothing for my little black dress on formal night! :D A way we got around the lanyard was to buy a coil wrist band with a key ring on it (WalMart, $1). Could be easily wrapped around a beach bag or tucked inside a handbag. Slightly less conspicuous, still handy, and won't blow away in a strong gust of wind.

Just my two cents! I loved the other posts, and even as this one nearing is my 4th, I'm still learning tricks of the trade!

Oh, and my current BF and I met on the Valor last November. I recently moved from WI to live with him in RI. I'm glad there's other people who have met onboard, too. It does make for a great story!!

I buy a cheap plastic file folder (not a binder, a collapsible file folder) to keep all my documents in...One for credit card copies and emergency numbers of credit cards, COLOR photocopies of the passports...

This is a recipe for IDENTITY THEFT, if the steward or maintenance guy someone sees it in your cabin and copies down the info.

Yes, you should have copies of the passport and copies of your credit cards (front and back), but these should be in a envelope sealed with packing tape (to detect tampering), carried in your carry-on luggage and placed in your safe as soon as you get to your cabin... not kept in a binder or folder. The other stuff you mention, OK, but not your ID and credit card documents.

Is it a rumour or has Carnival gone and changed the wine policy again. I am now hearing you can bring only 1 bottle? Anybody hear anything?

PA

I was on Carnival in September and it is 1 bottle per person of wine or champaign. I didn't bring any because I don't like wine but that is the policy now.

Linda

I again! have read all pages...now up to 80 pages!

wow! still a great thread here.....we should keep it going.

The best thing i can say was that i kept a notebook with clear page protectors (like someone mentioned previously). This notebook had ALL of my important papers in it...maps, tickets, iteneraries, birth certs., reservation/confirmations, names/addresses important numbers etc etc. each then were put in order that we would use them...and in my carry on.

first, airline stuff, rental car, cruise line, excursions etc. everything was handy to access and neat. then, i could store all of my photos that we bought on the ship, right inside the notebook to protect them...and over $20 bucks a pop, it adds up quickly. we stored our capers in them, our cruise critic door sign too. It made a neat little memory book when we got home. i honestly think that was the best thing i did for our cruise. i knew where everything was.

also, another great tip (on conquest anyway) leaving the ship for port days, they sell large bottles of water, inside an insulated carrier (on a string thingy)...buy one!!!! it makes a great little souviner for later too.

also, the last night on the ship...great deal on developing all of my film, double prints and ready that morning so i had them to enjoy on the ride home. and they were CHEAPER than what i cost at home for doubles. hmmm, go figure that one.

some of these things are outdated on here....or are ship specific. so remember that.

happy sailing!!!!

I again! have read all pages...now up to 80 pages!

wow! still a great thread here.....we should keep it going.

The best thing i can say was that i kept a notebook with clear page protectors (like someone mentioned previously). This notebook had ALL of my important papers in it...maps, tickets, iteneraries, birth certs., reservation/confirmations, names/addresses important numbers etc etc. each then were put in order that we would use them...and in my carry on.

first, airline stuff, rental car, cruise line, excursions etc. everything was handy to access and neat. then, i could store all of my photos that we bought on the ship, right inside the notebook to protect them...and over $20 bucks a pop, it adds up quickly. we stored our capers in them, our cruise critic door sign too. It made a neat little memory book when we got home. i honestly think that was the best thing i did for our cruise. i knew where everything was.

also, another great tip (on conquest anyway) leaving the ship for port days, they sell large bottles of water, inside an insulated carrier (on a string thingy)...buy one!!!! it makes a great little souviner for later too.

also, the last night on the ship...great deal on developing all of my film, double prints and ready that morning so i had them to enjoy on the ride home. and they were CHEAPER than what i cost at home for doubles. hmmm, go figure that one.

some of these things are outdated on here....or are ship specific. so remember that.

happy sailing!!!!

did you buy the insulated water bottle on the ship? or before you left?

if before, where did you buy it?

did you buy the insulated water bottle on the ship? or before you left?

if before, where did you buy it?

I just bought one on Liberty. They sell them on port days on the Lido deck...right next to the pool. They come with an ice-cold bottle of water. It was GREAT to have on a very hot and humid day in the Caribbean. You even get to choose your color (red, blue, ?). I think I even saw someone selling these as we were leaving for our excursion as we disembarked on deck 0. You'll see them, don't worry. Now that we're home, I plan to use it on local adventures too. It's great for the zoo or a sporting event.

WE will be sailing on the Conquest on 8/29 too!!!!

Do you have kids? i have an 11 year old boy coming with me, it would be great to know if he will have anyone to hang with right off the bat.

AFter reading the boards and 11 cruises under the belt...here is what i can add...

i will be taking my own beach towels, i will be taking my own diet sprite (can't do caffeine) and Jack Daniels, I will tip my cabin steward early and often, i will get one drink pass for my son, i will take a reusable cups with lid and straw to keep our drinks cold, prevent spills and hide the fact that i am bringing my own JD, taking a fanny pack for shore excursions and on-board, taking late seating as i think it is best for most scehedules and you can always eat someplace else earlier if you want.

Let me know if you have any other questions and i will try to help!

Have you cruised before?

How do you get the JD on the ship? Have you ever had problems?

yes, the water bottles were for sale on deck 0 right as we were leaving the ship in port. they were fabulous. my daughter now uses ours for drill team practice. they are large bottles, and ice cold! :D

and as for the notebook, yes, i thought it was a great idea. i still go back through my book and wish i was there again.

as far as sneaking booze on board.....well, i had bloody marys all day long. we each had our large insulated mugs with us. hubby had his favorite crown royal all day. rum runner flasks all the way! you can find them online. they are great! i have since loaned them to a couple of my friends and they too had success getting onboard with them!:eek:

happy cruising!

Here's a secret Carnival doesn't seem to publish: the bar in the supper club is open to all guests, not just the guests with dinner reservations. On the Legend, the Golden Fleece bar is much nicer, less crowded, and more intimate than the other bars on-ship. And they had a nice band and dance floor.

Wish we had known this since we would have spent a night or two in the Golden Fleece bar on our recent cruise.

Mike

Well, I'll risk posting here, although I will admit to not reading all 80 pages. I have been taking a water bottle with insulated carrier on trips for at least ten years. Started with the old canteen...I saw those bottle holders on Zenith, but they weren't insulated. the ones I have hold a 22-30oz bottle. I carry a wide moth bottle, nalgene or similar, because you can go up to the buffet and fill it with ice and water...or iced tea, lemonade, whatever is free. Then you don't have to pay for the expensive bottled water as you go off for shore excursions. I also have bottles with filters, for when I visit countries where you can't drink the water. Then, when others in my group/tour are buying bottled water to brush their teeth, I am filling my bottle from the tap, then squeezing the water through the filter and into my glass. E.

Archived