Please help me choose a cruise!

Hello -

I'm new to cruising and about to reserve our frst vacation. We want to go to the Caribbean and are looking at RCL Serenade and NCL Dawn.

Does anyone think one is better than the other? Is there a beter time to go? We can schedule anytime between Feb and May.

Many people have told me that a cruise vacation is the best value and it seems so, is a suite the best way to go for a little extra "luxury". It seems like it from some of the messages here.

Thanks in advance.

Nora

Tough to answer not knowing your interests and where you prefer to sail from. We have cruised on every class of RCCL ships - the larger Voyager class ships have every concievable option including ice skating - we prefer this size ship when it is a family vacation - for just my wife and I - I prefer the Radiance class - new ships with a lot of glass and amenities. The "older" "Vision" clas ships are bit less expensive but are still beautiful and more intimate (smaller in size). Look at the itinerary - Eastern / Western or Southern Caribbean first and then look at the ship next then consider your costs including the transportation to the port.

You will enjoy any of the RCCl ships.

My vote is for the Serenade. I much prefer the Radiance class to the Voyager class. Too many people & crowds for us. We also love the walls and elevators of glass which give you a feeling of being outside as opposed to the closed in feeling of the Voyager class. We also much prefer RCCL to NCL. In our minds, there is no comparison.

As far as a suite; It depends on how much room you really want and how much time you will be spending in your cabin. For 2 people, a balcony or Jr. Suite is adequate.

Dear NNA

We really think that the RCI is much better that NCL, been on both.

Don't forget Princess, we loved this line, just great!

The new Carnival ships are just great, newer only! See our list below.

They may be as good as any moderate ships today. None of the above are Celebrity, etc., Princess is very close.

The eastern carib is the best, don't waste you time with the western carib on your first cruise, unless you really love Mexico, and I don't.

Have fun.

Intentionaltourist

Since this will be your first cruise, I would suggest to try and pick a ship that has the age group you want to hang out with. Some lines tend to have older crowds (NCL) and other slightly younger (RCCL and Princess) and othe the party young crowd (Carnival). Most lines should have a ship that should give you the amenities you want.

The good thing about cruising is that there is such a wide range of ships and amenities, that each cruise is an adventure.

I've sailed both ships. Here are some items that come to mind that you may want to consider:

+ The Dawn and the Serenade are among the nicest ships for each line, so you've lined up good options.

+ Keep in mind that NCL is built on the freestyle dining concept. This can mean extra fees for particular dining experiences, and some extra work making reservations. It can also give you more flexibility.

+ Both ships have very nice indoor pool areas and gym facilities.

Given that, I would pick Serenade by far. I am not a fan of freestyle and I think NCL's food quality is below average. The Serenade is really strong in all areas, and has an awesome thermal suite.

I agree, the Seranade will offer you a nice 7 night cruise vacation. I disagree that Princess is on the same scale as Celebrity especially with their Personal Choice dining. To experience a nice cruise, getting dressd up for 2 Formal nights is part of the vacation. You don't have to go the Tux and Gown route but a lovely fancy dress or formal ensemble and nice suit for him are perfect. Seranade doesn't have many balconies but an outside cabin would be very comfortable if the expense of a suite is not in your budget. I have never had a suite so I can cruise more. February is high season from President's week onto the middle of April. We often cruise the very last week of February, mid-March or mid-April. You will have warmer (hot) weather the closer you get to Summer. There are more ships and itineraries for Caribbean sailings to choose from in Feb. March & April too. If I can help you narrow down your choices, just let me know.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I have never been on NCL but my most recent cruises have been on RCCL. I love their cruises - a mix of young fun and class. We will be cruising with them again this coming January on the Serenade. A cruise from San Juan gives you a chance to visit many islands - at least 5 in this case.

As for suites, junior suites are a great choice however the D1 cabins on Royal in the aft section offer a great value for the dollar. Generally the balconies are much bigger than the side balconies in the aft section. When booking it is very easy to request a specific cabin. If it is not available you can ask to be waitlisted for it. It has worked for us in the past !!

As to the period to cruise, it depends on your budget- February and March are more expensive than late April and May- so your choice should be based on budget as well.

Have fun choosing your cruise and you will find a wealth of info on this board. I have often had help in making my choices from this message board - from which cabin, to what excursions, to what times for flights.

Archived