5 things you couldnt cruise without

tiffani!

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. is my first cruise, but right now my 5 "must-haves" are:

1. Trashy gossip mags (or, okay, novels) for poolside.

2. Scuba/snorkel gear

3. iPod

4. Woolite travel packs

5. Leave-work-behind-me vacation attitude

Most important thing for a good vacation is to leave the office at the office. No one is indispensable. When asked how to contact me for emergencies, I always tell my boss and my secretary to act as if I died. Handle it however they would handle it if I got hit by a bus. You may not be happy with how something was handled in your absence, but it was still better than having to deal with it on your vacation.

When asked how to contact me for emergencies, I always tell my boss and my secretary to act as if I died. Handle it however they would handle it if I got hit by a bus.

No! No! Don't say that. They'd replace you. :eek:

I'm a new cruiser and really interested in all your five favourite items but a bit puzzled about some. What are clorox wipes? And what is a pop top hamper and what do you need it for? Also, some of you have mentioned taking alcohol... Is that allowed on cruises? I thought you had to buy it from them. I'm travelling soon on QE2 and a Royal Caribbean ship.

Zinni

I'm a new cruiser and really interested in all your five favourite items but a bit puzzled about some. What are clorox wipes? And what is a pop top hamper and what do you need it for? Also, some of you have mentioned taking alcohol... Is that allowed on cruises? I thought you had to buy it from them. I'm travelling soon on QE2 and a Royal Caribbean ship.

Zinni

These are the Clorox Wipes, most use them to disinfect surfaces.

cdw.jpg

This is a pop up hamper - there easy to travel with and make it nice to keep all your dirty clothes in during you cruise.

C50814.jpg

Alcohol - taking a bottle or two of wine on board is usually okay, you will pay a corkage fee. Some people will take other drinks with them. Everytime I have tried they find it and keep it until the end of the cruise so now we just suck it up and buy from the ship. I did see a pic on one of the boards of a man with a suitcase packed with 4 - 12 packs of Bud Light...lol.

Hope this helps

Five things we DIDN'T need on our Grandeur cruise 7/24/08:

Duct tape

Outlet strips (there were three outlets, 2 at desk & 1 in bath)

Insulated cups/mugs (unless ur into just sitting for hours on end)

Bug spray

Hangers (there were lots & plenty of shelf space)

What I wouldn't leave without next time:

Case of bottled water (they'll just put a luggage tag on it, our room steward was so kind as to bring it into the cabin as soon as it arrived so it didn't get "picked" up by anyone)

Soda

Snorkel gear

Soaps & lotions (RCCL very stingy with soap & zero lotions,shampoos etc.)

Ipod

Five things we DIDN'T need on our Grandeur cruise 7/24/08:

Duct tape

Outlet strips (there were three outlets, 2 at desk & 1 in bath)

Insulated cups/mugs (unless ur into just sitting for hours on end)

Bug spray

Hangers (there were lots & plenty of shelf space)

What I wouldn't leave without next time:

Case of bottled water (they'll just put a luggage tag on it, our room steward was so kind as to bring it into the cabin as soon as it arrived so it didn't get "picked" up by anyone)

Soda

Snorkel gear

Soaps & lotions (RCCL very stingy with soap & zero lotions,shampoos etc.)

Ipod

For me you could just about reverse those lists. Funny how different people's priorities are.

I have never understood the need to take hangars. True, there are not enough when you board, but the steward will quickly bring you as many as you wish. Same with shampoos and creams.

Burm~You know it could very well have just been our particular room steward....but I had the feeling that they(RCCL) were being very careful about all the "extras"....we had one small, what became sliver of soap for most of the cruise...he noticed that I had brought my own Oil of Olay for the shower, so nothing was provided in there....it was just little things...only 2 bath towels provided... I requested a couple extra towels one evening which he left, but then never again.... everything is getting tight everywhere I guess & we're not wasteful people at all....but I always enjoyed feeling pampered on cruises.

Burm~You know it could very well have just been our particular room steward....but I had the feeling that they(RCCL) were being very careful about all the "extras"....we had one small, what became sliver of soap for most of the cruise...he noticed that I had brought my own Oil of Olay for the shower, so nothing was provided in there....it was just little things...only 2 bath towels provided... I requested a couple extra towels one evening which he left, but then never again.... everything is getting tight everywhere I guess & we're not wasteful people at all....but I always enjoyed feeling pampered on cruises.

Interesting. I have never sailed with RCCL and have never experienced such stinginess on other lines. Have others had the same experience with them?

My five:

1. Meclazine - Couldn't cruise without it!

2. My Pillow - Don't leave home without it!

3. Mesh Laundry Bag - hangs on a hanger. lighter and easier to pack than pop up.

4. Mug - Insulated Travel Mug

5. Money - Never have enough of it!

LOL, this list has been brought to you by the letter M. My Most important. I won't go on to the other letters...

Now I have to ask----why is a bungee cord needed?

My five

1. Bonine (although I have only needed it once in 10 cruises. Guess it makes me feel confident)

2. Tums (in case of over eating)

3. Small roll of traveling toliet paper and seat covers. (Needed it once when on first cruise to Caribbean so I found that I would never be without that again) (Some places are dirty)

4. Night light (inside cabins are dark at night)

5. plastic bags to pack dirty clothes in when coming home. It's nice to have the dirty clothes all in one bag within your luggage to pull out and immediately throw in to the washing machine.

In the Caribbean ALWAYS bring suntan lotion and a crushable hat of some kind so you won't have sunburn.

This has been a very interesting and entertaining topic. Thanks to the one who suggested it!

After something broke on a recent cruise I now take along a small tube of Crazy glue. The purser actually had some so I was rescued. I too travel with my own pillow. Thank God for the travel bags that let you squeeze the air out. Instead of the night light, I prefer a small round flashlight the size of a silver dollar to make my way at night. I keep my plastic quart travel bags at the ready at all times. Just give me 24 hours notice and I'm out the door.

BTW, I was told that RCCL doesn't allow booze, water, or soda to be

brought onboard. No champagne as well. Has that changed? Usually, at embarkation most cruise lines allow sodas, water and wine to be brought on.

Security was given as the reason.

Don't even need him...or the quartermaster... an officer just sets the computer and they can stand on the dock (well, actually leave with the harbor pilot) waving bye-bye, hop on a plane, and meet us at the next port.

But my 5 are:

1. %#&* Platinum shopping guide...to try and get my money's worth out of it by getting to most of the ports included in it within a year (I know, it'll never happen)

2. Jack

3. Jim

4. Johnny

5. caffeine free diet coke (for the above 3 friends) :D

I am so right there with you. Bottoms UP!!!

I had to do a search on Pure Green. I always travel with hand disinfectant, but this stuff is and anti-fungal and anti-viral too? I wonder where you buy it in Canada.

I've got some CleanWell hand sanitizer... it's available at Target, and online (do a search for CleanWell). No toxins.

I'll look at Pure Green, too :D