5 things you couldnt cruise without

tiffani!

1. Half the clothes I think I need and four times the $ I think I will need.

2. Highlighter for the daily events paper.

3. Chargers- for the phone, portable DVD ( DS=6yrs old), video recorder, etc.

4. Duct tape (keep a tiny roll in the travel size first aid kit we travel with)

5. "Vitrues"- manners, grace, patience,courtesy, consideration, and the most important- GOOD PARENTING SKILLS!

I told my DH that I wished I had a highlighter for the daily events paper and much to my delight he produced one. Before I mentioned it I spent half my time trying to find the info I needed. A little item that makes life easier with all the huge amounts of paper we gather on a cruise.

I've read all the reasons for bringing duct tape but here is my question to all those that bring it - would you bring it on another type of vacation or is there something about a cruise that makes it more necessary? I have traveled many places and never had my suitcase burst open or felt the need to duct tape my surroundings. Although I am just not someone who brings portable hampers or cases of water in my suitcase so maybe I'm just not stuffing as much in my bags as other people.

Also, how dirty/smelly are these rooms going to be? I see lots of people bringing cleaning wipes or squeegies or air freshners. :confused:

As someone who has never cruised I find myself wondering if the responders would be bringing these items wherever they go or if there is something inherent to cruising that makes them more necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a small roll ,actually they sell a travel roll of Duct Tape as well as a bottle of super glue. It seems that when things break, like a handle on a well traveled suitcase, or a kids plastic toy, there's never a hardware store near-by. Better to have and not need.....

I never travel without a good dependable tactical flashlight. 3v. mini lights can be a lifesaver , have had to used superglue on some deep cuts in the past in a jam, but that's just me.

I've read all the reasons for bringing duct tape but here is my question to all those that bring it - would you bring it on another type of vacation or is there something about a cruise that makes it more necessary? I have traveled many places and never had my suitcase burst open or felt the need to duct tape my surroundings.

Being a hiker, on those port intensive cruises, duct tape is absolutely the best thing to cover a blister on your foot. We always bring a small roll everywhere we go.

RC

• 1 month later...

3. Chargers- for the phone, portable DVD ( DS=6yrs old), video recorder, etc.

4. Duct tape (keep a tiny roll in the travel size first aid kit we travel with)

5. "Vitrues"- manners, grace, patience,courtesy, consideration, and the most important- GOOD PARENTING SKILLS!

Amen to number 5

1. Tweezers

2. Hair Iron

3. iPod

4. Flip Flops (Even to Alaska)

5. Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom Perfume Spray

I can think of many more, but those are my top essentials

Isn't is funny what are essentials to different people? Of the above list I would only take the tweezers - and I would substitute my beloved Holey Soles (like Crocs but I think with better support).

A highlighter is definitely handy for the ship's newsletter. Otherwise you are always going back and saying "now where did I see that?"

I have yet to go on my first cruise and reading the things that everyone has put on their own top 5 list has been nice to read and start to put together my own list.

Me too, it s my first time cruising and my list is up to 32 items I should look over to pack.

More warm clothes! I always fill my suitcase with loads of tropical weight clothes, then freeze in highly air-conditioned rooms.

Once we played a silly game where everyone got an extra point for arriving in their bathrobe. It was the first time I was ever warm in that particular lounge which was always freezing. You'd think I would learn! (Do they make heavy weight bathrobes suitable for evening wear? :D )

Brad, it's for the "you-never-knows"

Luggage rip? Fix it with duct tape.

Lose the hem in your dress or trousers? Fix it with duct tape.

Closet door keeps banging in the night because it doesn't latch properly? Fix it with duct tape.

Children won't stop yapping? Well, you get the idea. :)

ROTFLMAO!

LOVE the bottom reason! :eek:

We're heading out on our first family cruise and now that roll of duct tape will be SURE to go in!!

My 5:

Binoculars

Xtra contact lenses for DH and I

over door shoe thingy (thanks CC boards! great idea)

travel mugs/ kids sippy cups

highlighters & post it notes

• 4 weeks later...