An article on Royal Caribbean on drinking on board etc, check it out!!!!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14947944.htm

I wonder if this article is completely true and WHEN did Royal Caribbean change their drinking age? Have any of you heard any of this. Doesn't apply to m e anymore but my little brother is in that age range. This article makes points for both. I hate how people hate on the cruise lines, when people need to be responsible themselves. PERIOD.:eek:

Good news for all passengers. The drinking age was 18 for me, switched to 19 a few years later and was 21 by the time I graduated from college. Although I think the right to vote, the honor of military service and drinking should all be the same age - cruise ships are not in the business of "training" young adults how to drink. The adults who know how to drink responsibly are not the ones who need stricter guidelines. I'm not a booze smuggler but I can see the time when the cruise lines are going to have to stop looking the other way. I've seen some embarassing drunks of every age onboard and the frustration is that lawyers like Rivkind eliminate the personal responsiblity we should all follow. The friends and family of the "partiers" need to actively monitor their behavior. It's sad that so many cruisers have to avoid spring break, graduation time and summer cruising because of the reckless behavior of so many young people who haven't yet learned the difference between "vacation" drinking and "drink til I urp or pass out" drinking. (And no, I'm not THAT old)

wolfganghowell sums it up pretty well.

RCCL has been banged around in the media for a year now since the George Smith incident. The recent events have just added fuel to the fire.

In addition (my personal opinion only), RCCL has built a strong market with cruising families. I don't think they want to be a "spring break destination". I think part of the change in their alcohol policy is due to the increasing numbers of 18 - 20 year olds that are taking cruises during spring break. It's not a good mix with families with small children on board.

So, I think it's a combination of reasons.

I have to agree that this is a good idea. I'm 22, so it doesn't matter for me. But I saw it on the last cruise I was on. It might upset the 18-21 crowd, but I think it'll improve the experience for everyone.

We just sailed on Navigator of the Seas, and the stated policy was that people between 18-21 could be served beer and wine only if parents signed a waiver.

Hahaha...i find this hilarious...everyone is on different pages here, and it doesnt make sense. HELLO EVERYONE..OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVENT CHANGED THE POLICY. If they have, people wouldnt be able to sign waivers anymore. So all of this talk is nonsense until it actually happens, just my opinion though.

I sailed Grandeur last week and 18-20 were permitted to drink with signed waiver. I don't get it. Why are they saying that it is no longer permitted??? Doesn't make sense to me.

I just wanted to add my two cents on this subject. We are platnium cruisers and in addition to RCCL, have sailed on Carnvial and Disney.

This past April we cruised on the Mariner with 18 yr old son and his friend. They were given permission to drink wine and beer but we limited them to two per day. I monitored their sea pass at least twice a day as they were warned if they went over thier limit, their privledges would be removed. Never once did they go over the two drink limit.

However, they did feel like the cruise was lacking in activities and meeting places for their age group. Son has been cruising since he was 10 and was always very active in the kids club based on his age at that time. However, this past cruise, it seemed like they did not fit in. They could not get into the teen club but were too young to hang out at the bars.

Whether the drinking rules are changed or not, then maybe RCCL needs to look into a special lounge area and meeting place for those 18-20 year olds. It took until at least the third night until they had met others their age.

I did put this on the comment card - hopefully there will be some changes.

Jill.

(next cruise - Jewel of the Seas repo cruise - Oct 07 - first one with just husband and myself)

Hahaha...i find this hilarious...everyone is on different pages here, and it doesnt make sense. HELLO EVERYONE..OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVENT CHANGED THE POLICY. If they have, people wouldnt be able to sign waivers anymore. So all of this talk is nonsense until it actually happens, just my opinion though.

There isn't a page for us to be on yet....that's the problem. RCCL is "announcing" this change, but haven't implemented it yet. It's all guesswork at this point.

Yeah, I just checked and the cruise we're boarding on Friday (Explorer of the Seas) is allowing it. So...maybe they'll enact the rule soon? Who knows...maybe it's a conspiracy. :-)

Yeah, I just checked and the cruise we're boarding on Friday (Explorer of the Seas) is allowing it. So...maybe they'll enact the rule soon? Who knows...maybe it's a conspiracy. :-)

it may never be implemented

Good news for all passengers. The drinking age was 18 for me, switched to 19 a few years later and was 21 by the time I graduated from college. Although I think the right to vote, the honor of military service and drinking should all be the same age - cruise ships are not in the business of "training" young adults how to drink. The adults who know how to drink responsibly are not the ones who need stricter guidelines. I'm not a booze smuggler but I can see the time when the cruise lines are going to have to stop looking the other way. I've seen some embarassing drunks of every age onboard and the frustration is that lawyers like Rivkind eliminate the personal responsiblity we should all follow. The friends and family of the "partiers" need to actively monitor their behavior. It's sad that so many cruisers have to avoid spring break, graduation time and summer cruising because of the reckless behavior of so many young people who haven't yet learned the difference between "vacation" drinking and "drink til I urp or pass out" drinking. (And no, I'm not THAT old)

I think this is really the heart of the problem! Once again it goes to responsibility. I cruised Hawaii 20 years ago with my parents when I was 18. Yes, they allowed me to drink but monitered it very closely. Was that more work and worry for them, you bet, but that is what it takes. Not only did it prevent me from getting into trouble it TAUGHT me how to act in that sitiuation and when enough was enough. It might help if RC creates a stricter policy or enforces better, but until people relearn about personal responsibility (I am not sure when we lost this) it will only be a band-aid. I see this all the time in teaching. Kid fails it is everybody else's fault, never the student (I teach 7th grade) It does kids no service not to teach them limits.:mad:

I think this is really the heart of the problem! Once again it goes to responsibility. It might help if RC creates a stricter policy or enforces better, but until people relearn about personal responsibility (I am not sure when we lost this) it will only be a band-aid. I see this all the time in teaching. Kid fails it is everybody else's fault, never the student (I teach 7th grade) It does kids no service not to teach them limits.:mad:

Amen to that teacherkim! I am an HR Manager for a company that employs 275 associates in my location. That is probably the thing that drives me the most nuts. I can't tell you how many times I have heard blame placed elsewhere than with the person who should be accepting it. We are a society that accepts no personal responsibility. Everything is someone elses fault! We as a people need to accept responsibility for our actions and the end results. This includes the responsibility that comes with the use of alcohol.

all this still comes pretty much from a highly publicized honeymoon couple. One dissapeared when he was extremely drunk as was his new wife. I see this all the time on nancy grace. they were OVER the age of 21. The guy who jumped off the mariner was 21...see where I am getting at? And I am over 21. :eek:

all this still comes pretty much from a highly publicized honeymoon couple. One dissapeared when he was extremely drunk as was his new wife. I see this all the time on nancy grace. they were OVER the age of 21. The guy who jumped off the mariner was 21...see where I am getting at? And I am over 21. :eek:

I think you are implying that changing the drinking restrictions for 18-21 yr. olds won't make a difference?! That was my point, these people are not taking responsibility. We all make bad choices sometimes but need to admit they are our choices and change the behavior.I am sure most of howiethedog's employees are over 21. But their lack of personal responsibility began much eariler, this is IMHO a huge huge problem in society today. Not sure if it is isolated to our country or is growing worldwide or how it can be fixed!!!

sag: You can see that the date on your article from the Miami newspaper is July 2nd. It is now the 8th (actually the 9th), and this has already been discussed and discussed and discussed.

As a matter of fact, two related threads are directly under yours as I type this. In case it moves, here is the link to the longer of them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=363839

I have just recently was able to fill out an online wavier for my 18 yr old daughter who will be supervised at all times... she does not drink much but a few beers is not going to hurt her in any way...I printed out our setsail pass just the other day and it is still there as a waiver, so I suppose we sill have to wait until we board to see if it will actually hold true..:confused:

RCCL had a press release on their site for months announcing the change, but AFAIK they got some bad feedback on it from TA's and such...

They yanked it once it got noticed.

The original release had no date for implementation, it also mentioned it would apply to US Citizens only, and a bunch of other stuff... At this point it's safe to assume they've dropped it for the time being.

I do not at all condone underage drinking. Or excessive drinking at any age (my personal opnion, not law. not looking to get flamed here). I do beleive people should be responsible for themselves and not blame the bartender.

I do just want to say, even thought I am sure it does happen, I have never once seem a drunk teen on board. But I have, on MANY occasions, had a drunk adult well into their 30's and 40's fall on top of my in am elevator or in a hallway at 1pm in the afternoon.

~~Stepping off my soapbox.~~

Archived