What are the Rituals at Sailaway?

The days of streamers are gone due to protecting the ocean's. The actual happenings depend on the ship and cruiseline but most do this, a live band plays on the pool deck for your listening and dancing pleasure, waiters come around with drinks (these are not free and keep the glass as you paid for it). Now depending on which port you are departing from, people will be waving from balconies, cars (honking horns) and waving flags of all types. This usually goes off around 5:00 pm or about 30 minutes before sail-away. Just the the Capt pushes off he will sound the horn (it is quite load). Then your vaction is on its way, sit back relax and enjoy it all.

on our last sail away, most of the activities were done.

the midnight parade down the promenade was happening.

BUt lots of people(us included) were outside at the bow of the ship and on the upper decks, freezing our patooties off at 12 midnight in November watching us going under the Verranzzano bridge.

Other sail aways we didn't really do much...

We have a DVD copy of the "Love Boat" weekly sailaway.........that we put into the player.........then as we start to leave the dock, we hit "Play" on the remote............and watch the Pacific Princess people throw streamers.....toilet paper, and other edible pieces overboard!! Yeh..right!!!???...................If you believe all of that..........I have a bridge for sale.

We normally have a few friends in for the sailaway...........with cocktail in hand..............watch as the ship moves away from the dock..........say a toast to whom ever is with us..........and let the party continue.

We do have a CD of the music from Titanic.......which is wonderful.......and we play that at sail aways and 5PM cocktail parties!

Rick

We have a DVD copy of the "Love Boat" weekly sailaway.........that we put into the player.........then as we start to leave the dock, we hit "Play" on the remote............and watch the Pacific Princess people throw streamers.....toilet paper, and other edible pieces overboard!! Yeh..right!!!???...................If you believe all of that..........I have a bridge for sale.Rick

Rick, you got me all excited about visiting your cabin to watch the Love Boat sailaway ... and then you popped my bubble!:( I'm so blue ... see :(

Actually, now that I'm getting over that little depression, I think your REAL sailaway sounds pretty good ... except maybe the Titanic part. :eek:

More specifically, out of NY.

Streamers? Music? Horns Tooting? Marching Bands?

What goes on?

Waving back to everyone that is waving to you when leaving Miami...Some cars would drive along w/the ship, stop get out and wave, get back into their car drive a bit, stop get out, wave...etc.....

Waving back to everyone that is waving to you when leaving Miami...Some cars would drive along w/the ship, stop get out and wave, get back into their car drive a bit, stop get out, wave...etc.....

That's fun. Did they do that for the Freedom sailaway?

Crystal Cruise Lines always plays Al Jolsen "What a Wonderful World" and it is just great for sail-away song. We always bring our favorite CD, Julio Iglesias and play it at full blast as we sip our martini from the balcony. Ahhhh...Only a couple months until the Med and back to BOS again.

Archived