Caribbean Princess Rude Staff

cruise4fam

Hi All,

Just got back Saturday from the Caribbean Princess boy when did it become ok for staff to be rude to passengers. Well since there was many rude staff I can't say that it was a 1 time thing. The staff in the buffet and all were great those guys work hard. This was my 1st Princess cruise and I think it will be my last. I have cruise almost 20 times between RCL, NCL, Carnival & Holland America and never had 1 problem with staff not bending over backwards to help.

Long story short I was yelled yes yelled at by the Head Maitre'd Nicolo when I tried to get a table for my whole party to be seated at together. I don't think it's to much to ask to have your party eat together on a vacation. We were 10 in total and he wanted to give us 2 tables of 4 and a 2 person table. I was very upset to be yelled at that I told Nicolo I wanted him to come to the purser desk he let me know that he was to busy and I could go do what I wanted. I went to talk to the hotel manager. Also trying to get to talk to hotel manager is a major thing they don't want to let you talk to him. They let us know that he is very busy and that he had important things to do.

The ship is beautiful amenties were great.The rooms were a nice size with plenty of room to hang your clothes. Childrens program was very good the kids had a blast. 2, 14 year olds, 12, 9. Teens had a really great time. The youth staff is all aroung to keep things in check.

I did email Princess from the boat and did not get a response which leads me to believe customer service is not what it use to be. Which surprised me very much since I have heard great things about Princess in the past.

Not trying to bash Princess or anything just giving my experience. Any one else have rude staff problems on this boat or others in the Princess lines?

Janice :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Just got back Saturday from the Caribbean Princess boy when did it become ok for staff to be rude to passengers. Well since there was many rude staff I can't say that it was a 1 time thing. The staff in the buffet and all were great those guys work hard. This was my 1st Princess cruise and I think it will be my last. I have cruise almost 20 times between RCL, NCL, Carnival & Holland America and never had 1 problem with staff not bending over backwards to help.

Long story short I was yelled yes yelled at by the Head Maitre'd Nicolo when I tried to get a table for my whole party to be seated at together. I don't think it's to much to ask to have your party eat together on a vacation. We were 10 in total and he wanted to give us 2 tables of 4 and a 2 person table. I was very upset to be yelled at that I told Nicolo I wanted him to come to the purser desk he let me know that he was to busy and I could go do what I wanted. I went to talk to the hotel manager. Also trying to get to talk to hotel manager is a major thing they don't want to let you talk to him. They let us know that he is very busy and that he had important things to do.

So which part of...... "I don't have a spare table for ten laying around and I have 3,000 other passengers to feed"..........did you not understand.

Seems to me that if I wanted 10 to sit together I would expect at least two table.....maybe three to do it........especially if I was dealing with the M'd on the ship.

Sorry to say, at times, the staff on most ships gives a little of what they get. They are service personel, but they are also human. We have found on any line that the way we talk to the staff (with respect as they are not there just to please us but an entire ship full of passengers) is also the way we are treated in return.

Demanding and threatening is no way to treat any of the staff.

Sorry, but I am not surprised that you did not get exactly what you wanted at the time you wanted it. :(

we had no problem getting a table for 15 on the Star and we reserved for every night. I am sorry to hear that the staff on the CB were not as helpful. I would also be very upset if I were yelled at by someone on the staff.

I think your experience deserves some attention as this is not the tytpical Princess experience. I hope you will give them another try since you liked other parts of the experience.

First, please try using spell check. Maybe you wrote while upset, but from your post, I don’t know what happened.

Traditional or PC?

Did your party ask for a table of 10 during registration?

When did you request the large table? When you got on the ship or when you arrived for dinner?

Hi All,

Is this a definition of rude now "the staff won't do what I want them to do"{, regardless they cannot get it done ?. It perceive it is by the OP that they expect the staff to always "bend over backwards".

I think the "lets go see the purser" and "explain to me" was probably the worse insult the OP could have perpertrated and insured them to be labelled a malcontent and I would be surprised if any further requests were granted.

I also do not remember seeing the "take a number" machine or the "Hotel Manager Open Door" times posted. I think he has more important things to tend to other than "my ten family members can't sit together".

I am surprised the Captain wasn't notified. This has to rank right up there with his most important duties.

Large groups seem to be a problem in Anytime dining unless you plan ahead. I'm guessing from the OP's comments that they expected a large table when walking up. In such a case, a little planning ahead helps. I recommend one of the fixed seatings for large groups, that way it can be set up before you board.

Large groups seem to be a problem in Anytime dining unless you plan ahead. I'm guessing from the OP's comments that they expected a large table when walking up. In such a case, a little planning ahead helps. I recommend one of the fixed seatings for large groups, that way it can be set up before you board.

My TA just set up a reservation for a table for our family of 9, in traditional seating for our cruise on the CB NEXT JULY. Just to be sure, I will see the Maitre D on boarding to make sure all is taken care of. Karen

Your TA should have linked the bookings together and requested a table for 10 prior to the cruise. I had clients on the CB in May who needed a table for 10 and had no problems when they arrived at the dining room.

I found the entire staff on the CB to be very customer service friendly during my cruise in Sept.

Nicolo was one of the best Maitre D's I ever dealt on the high seas with so you must have come on "too strong" or demanding. It really pays to be nice. All the crew and staff work as a team. Nicolo literally could not do enough for my wife and me,, he went to Sterling to get me those huge shrimp cocktails every night,, what a great guy he is.

Running down to the Hotel Manager and complaining and being angry really will not help your plight. You were labeled at that point by them all, it got you nothing but more stress. You should have taken what Nicolo suggested that night and schmoozed him a bit after dinner and gotten suggestions on how you all could be better accomodated for the rest of the cruise.

Demanding, angry, obnoxious cruisers just dont cut the mustard anymore in the cruise industry.

The last thing you want to do on "their" ship is start running around thinking you are going to get someone into hot water, It will never happen, they are all on the same team and are most likely friends. If something eggregious happens than you have a case,, but nothing from a professional staff will ever happen on a large cruise line. What happened to you was an uncontrolled event and you should not have made a big deal about it. You will not get an apology from Princess and you shouldnt. They did nothing wrong in this case.

Maybe you should think about traveling on Carnival in the future. If I were you I wouldnt go back on the CB. Personally I d have a very long memory if someone complained to my boss about me the way you did.

Don

Your TA should have linked the bookings together and requested a table for 10 prior to the cruise. I had clients on the CB in May who needed a table for 10 and had no problems when they arrived at the dining room.

Thanks for suggesting that, but I believe she did just that. Karen

Hi All,

I don't think it's to much to ask to have your party eat together on a vacation. We were 10 in total and he wanted to give us 2 tables of 4 and a 2 person table.

I see you've only posted 15 times, so you haven't been around here much. If you had done some research before your cruise you would have learned that Anytime Dining is problematic for large groups. Almost all the complaints about Anytime Dining are from large (over 8 or so...) groups. You should have gone traditional dining.

So which part of...... "I don't have a spare table for ten laying around and I have 3,000 other passengers to feed"..........did you not understand.

Seems to me that if I wanted 10 to sit together I would expect at least two table.....maybe three to do it........especially if I was dealing with the M'd on the ship.

Hmm lets see you always get someone who thinks they know it all. Well how come once we talked to the hotel manager a table of 10 just came available. We were able to get it for the whole time after that.

Why should I expect my party to be split when were told by Princess before hand a table of 10 was no problem at all talk to them when you get on the ship and talk to the M'd. We tried getting a early seating before hand my mother is a diabetic and needs to eat early. Of course it wasn't available even with a doctor's note.

Janice:)

Sorry to say, at times, the staff on most ships gives a little of what they get. They are service personel, but they are also human. We have found on any line that the way we talk to the staff (with respect as they are not there just to please us but an entire ship full of passengers) is also the way we are treated in return.

Demanding and threatening is no way to treat any of the staff.

Sorry, but I am not surprised that you did not get exactly what you wanted at the time you wanted it. :(

I totally agree with you and that you should treat people the way you wanted to be treated. When we asked for the M'd they told us our party needed to go find him. I am sorry when there is a issue I expect to be treated with respect. I told the person at the door to please get the head M'd. The M'd came in a huff like we were putting him out. He came on strong and had a attitude from the beginning. I told him what Princess told us before we left and he said no that is not what Princess has said and started yelling at me in front of other people. Maybe he just got done with a situation but he should not have taken it out on my family.

After the fact we did get what we wanted from the hotel manager but it was no thanks to a rude employee. How come the hotel manager can get us a table for 10 but not the M'd?

Still the fact I don't feel a employee has any right to be rude or yell at a passenger.

Janice :eek:

First, please try using spell check. Maybe you wrote while upset, but from your post, I don’t know what happened.

Traditional or PC?

Did your party ask for a table of 10 during registration?

When did you request the large table? When you got on the ship or when you arrived for dinner?

Sorry to have a few spelling errors maybe since I wrote the post late the mind was 1st to go.

We had PC and before we left we requested traditional early seating my mother is a diabetic and needs to eat early.

When we got on board I asked about a table of 10 and was told no problem when we go to dinner we can get a table for 10 and use it the whole trip.

Is this a definition of rude now "the staff won't do what I want them to do"{, regardless they cannot get it done ?. It perceive it is by the OP that they expect the staff to always "bend over backwards".

I think the "lets go see the purser" and "explain to me" was probably the worse insult the OP could have perpertrated and insured them to be labelled a malcontent and I would be surprised if any further requests were granted.

I also do not remember seeing the "take a number" machine or the "Hotel Manager Open Door" times posted. I think he has more important things to tend to other than "my ten family members can't sit together".

I am surprised the Captain wasn't notified. This has to rank right up there with his most important duties.

My definition of rude is someone yelling at me, when you can tell they don't want to be bothered helping me. Especially when you are told by the cruise line that there would be no problems.

I guess I am used to having cruise lines bend over backwards since this is the service I have always received. This is a service related industry. Never have I had a employee yell at me on all the other lines I have been on. I have never had some raise their voice to me.

I thought that if I am being treated poorly by a employee in a high position, some one should take responsiblity for his actions. Maybe you are one of those people who don't mind being treated like that, but I dont appreciate it. I pay alot of money for a vacation and don't feel the treatment was just. The hotel manager should not have a ticket # on his door. His job is to make sure his staff is respectful.

Have you been on this ship? Have you received this type of treatment, that you can critique my situation. I don't appreciate your sarcasm in this matter. I was just letting people know of my experiences. If this can save people issues and make their trip more enjoyable then my comments were helpful. You always get people who think they know it all.:(

There is no excuse for staff to be rude to passengers, but I can understand it the staff member is being badgered for something that they cannot provide.

I agree that there is no excuse for the staff to be rude. When the staff comes in with a attitude, what are you suppose to do? :eek:

This was done before we left. The problem was we needed early seating and we were waitlisted before we left. My mom is a diabetic and needs to eat early. :)

I found the entire staff on the CB to be very customer service friendly during my cruise in Sept.

Nicolo was one of the best Maitre D's I ever dealt on the high seas with so you must have come on "too strong" or demanding. It really pays to be nice. All the crew and staff work as a team. Nicolo literally could not do enough for my wife and me,, he went to Sterling to get me those huge shrimp cocktails every night,, what a great guy he is.

Running down to the Hotel Manager and complaining and being angry really will not help your plight. You were labeled at that point by them all, it got you nothing but more stress. You should have taken what Nicolo suggested that night and schmoozed him a bit after dinner and gotten suggestions on how you all could be better accomodated for the rest of the cruise.

Demanding, angry, obnoxious cruisers just dont cut the mustard anymore in the cruise industry.

The last thing you want to do on "their" ship is start running around thinking you are going to get someone into hot water, It will never happen, they are all on the same team and are most likely friends. If something eggregious happens than you have a case,, but nothing from a professional staff will ever happen on a large cruise line. What happened to you was an uncontrolled event and you should not have made a big deal about it. You will not get an apology from Princess and you shouldnt. They did nothing wrong in this case.

Maybe you should think about traveling on Carnival in the future. If I were you I wouldnt go back on the CB. Personally I d have a very long memory if someone complained to my boss about me the way you did.

Don

You should consider yourself lucky, when he came to us he was in a huff and had a attitude. This took me back, since I have never had treatment like this on a cruise.

I don't understand how people think it's "OK" to be treated rudely. They were not in my situation and have no idea how if feels to be treated rudely. I don't understand why I have to suck up to someone who treated me poorly. If you feel you need to suck up to have good service by all means go for it. Maybe people are ok with poor service but I am not.

Oh by the way on the 5th night the rude Nicolo came to me and did apologize. Obviously talking to the hotel manager did have some effect since he I am sure he was the one to get him to apologize.

If a passenger is ok with being treated rudely, by all means then that is your choice. In my case I was not ok with it. You were lucky to be treated with respect you should be happy after my situation.

Sounds like you belong with Princess, you have their "I don't care" attitiude and let me think about myself first. :cool:

Archived