Need Laundry Info Asap

theduffys

I am now beginning the process of trying to get over the fact that I simply cannot pack everything I "want" to and deciding on what I "need" to take:eek: .

To that end, can anyone tell me the cost of the washers and dryers in the self-service laundry? I want to be sure I have enough of the denominations required. Also, must I bring detergent or is that provided or sold? Thanks all.

The new Vista Class ships i.e. Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam do not provide self-service laundry.

On these ships you can stuff all that you can get into a smallish laundry bag and it will be laundered and folded or hung up for $12.

Be careful, though, because if you send more that you can stuff in the bag, it will get pricey.

Allow 48 hours for return.

The older ships do provide self-serve laundry and a very modest price. There is detergent, etc available to buy.

:) You didn't mention which ship you would be cruising on.

Older ships do have laundries - newer Vista ships - no.

I read a report somewhere where someone said that the washers cost $2 and the dryers $1. Then someone said the dryers were free.

Also someone mentioned that the soap was free. Hope you get some answers to your questions.

You can always get quarters at the front desk.

:)

But it is a fact of life. Of the Statendam ship they have laundry facilities. Washers are $2 and the soap is already in the machine and you push a button to activate it at no addiitonal charge. Dryers are $1. They work very well. Have a great cruise

:)

The new Vista Class ships i.e. Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam do not provide self-service laundry.

I can't imagine doing laundry while on vacation!

Of course, I guess I'm spoiled. My 90-year-old father lives with me ... and since most of his friends are gone now, he goes nuts trying to stay busy. He took over all the "house work" type stuff almost immediately after moving in. Won't cook for me, though. Said he doesn't like the "crap" that I eat. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks everybody. I thought my signature indicated it is the Rotterdam that we

can't wait to board in 4 days!!!! Can you tell I'm just a little excited???

Need laundry infor since the trip is 17 days long and if I can keep the amount of

DH"s underwear down I might be able to fit in one more pair of shoes.:D

You can also have it done. Cost is something like $12 for all you can stuff in one of their laundry bags OR an unlimited laundry package for the whole cruise. We've done the later on our last two cruises. We send a bag out daily so it comes out a bit better for us than the per bag cost. Normally we're very frugal, but this is worth it to us as we don't have to waste valuable cruise time sitting in a laundry room.

We get a bag to our room steward each morning around breakfast time and it is returned to us by the evening of the next day. Yes, we do send undies. We even have a system for this; mine one day, DD's the next.

Until the 10th.

Cost is something like $12 for all you can stuff in one of their laundry bags OR an unlimited laundry package for the whole cruise. We've done the later on our last two cruises. We send a bag out daily so it comes out a bit better for us than the per bag cost.

Question ... how large are these bags that they provide? The size of a ziplock, or can you get several shirts and a couple pair of jeans or dockers or some such into them??

They aren't large but would hold a couple pr. of jeans, couple of shirts, and still have room left. On our New England/Canada trip last year (Brrr!), we'd sometimes stuff in a couple pr. of jeans, a couple sweatshirts or sweaters, and some smaller items. That's per bag. For the whole cruise laundry package, my understanding is you can turn in more. However, one bag per day met our needs.

Glad I read this thread ! WHat about the unlimited laundry ? Do they advertise this or is oit one of these things that you need to ask about ?

It would work well for me. My husband works out every day and his stuff is really wet by the time he is done. And then we are touring the Med. And then there are the kids. If it is one bag a day I guess they dont care whose clothes are in it ?

How much does it run ?

Unlimitied laundry is NOT $45 per bag and don't think it includes pressing, but could be wrong on that. Per bag is around $12. The package depends on the length of the cruise. For a 10 day cruise 1/04 the laundry only package was $70 according to daily bulletins from that cruise. However, I'm not sure that is right as I was thinking it was higher.

If it's about $70 for a 10-day cruise, would that make it about $140 for a 21 day cruise??? :)

Does anyone know how much it might be?

Even if $140, it would be worth not having to do laundry at all.

Cost seems to vary by ship. You might want to try per bag depending on what they charge for 21 days. If you go per bag, there is no purchasing. The bags are just charged to your account. The package is purchased at the Front Office and is best done the first day. That way you can start using it right away. The laundry service is fine for clothes you just toss into the washing machine. It is not suitable for other clothes.

On the old board there was a thread mentioning they had to use hot water and concern about shrinkage or whatever. I've not had anything damaged or shrunk so far.

The laundry service is fine for clothes you just toss into the washing machine. It is not suitable for other clothes.

In the past I've used the Dry-cleaning service for suits and such. And, I've had dress shirts laundered, starched, and pressed. But for the rest of my clothing I've just used the self-service laundry. BUT ... if the price is right I'd rather not do even that! Hey ... I'm on holiday! Why should I work!? :D

It might also be helpful to evaluate your packing list. Depending on what ship you are going on, there are a lot of "recommended" items you may not need which take up space. I also found that you can wear many items more than one day since you will wear your bathing suit part of the day and evening clothes part of the day. Your daytime clothes, therefore, can be worn at least twice unless you wore them to shore.

...you can wear many items more than one day since you will wear your bathing suit part of the day and evening clothes part of the day. Your daytime clothes, therefore, can be worn at least twice unless you wore them to shore.

That's probably good advice for warm weather cruisers who spend much time by the pool and tend to skip the ports. They wouldn't want or need a laundry package. On cruises over a week, the laundry rooms (not on vista class) or per bag service might be helpful.

We prefer longer port intensive cruises in colder areas. My just packed daytime clothes plus what I'll wear on the plane consists of: 3 pr. jeans, 1 pr. shorts, 2 sweatshirts, 3 sweaters, 3 long sleeved tees, 3 short sleeved tees, light weight jacket, and a light weight rain pancho. My list is planned around laundry turn over time.

I won't be wearing a bathing suit, have 9 port days, and day time temperatures in ports are running from upper 30s to upper 60s plus NY is in the 80s.

We were on the Prinsendam last month and the charge for unlimited laundry worked out to $7 per day. It was a small price to pay for not having to sit in front of a washing machine waiting for our clothing. The items came back promptly, and everything was ironed ... I mean everything, including my little white tennis socks - they had the cutest little creases running down the front of them. Poor things are looking a little dejected now that we're home and they haven't seen an iron yet. :)

Everything that should be hung up was delivered that way and other things like t-shirts, underwear and socks were folded neatly and delivered in a tissue-lined wicker basket sealed with a gold Holland America seal. It was like opening up a gift every time we received our clean laundry!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived