Bed Bug Spray

This never would have happened if RCCL had taken the matter seriously in the first place. By Beary going back and seeing that same cabin all made up for the next person WITHOUT being fumigated, that sealed the deal for me that RCCL is part of the problem, not the solution. And they haven't even contacted her yet as to what they plan to do about the problem. I plan to sail on Voyager in Feb 2007 and am now afraid of what I might find. Thanks RCCL for the lack of peace of mind. I'm not sure if Raid is on my list or not. RCCL has some damage control to do and they really should do it fast by making some sort of PUBLIC announcement. As someone in public relations, I know how damaging this kind of talk can be. I just wish for a peaceful, carefree cruise, that's all. Is that so much to ask when we spend our hard earned money on their cruise ships? I feel sorry for Beary.

Well my niceness and patience are wearing thin mostly because I cannot even get a stinkin' phone call returned so tomorrow, I will not plan to be so nice.. Nice is not getting me anywhere.. My original thread had over 6,000 views and has been pulled... sad it is gone because people need to be aware that bed bugs is a serious problem that RCCL does NOT take serious at all.. I have even emailed Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain with attached photos included.. and now I am sick of being nice simply because now I am being IGNORED..

The only ones I know of on this thread who experienced bedbugs is Beary and I. My daughter brought them home from Myrtle Beach unknowingly and we had a mild case. I've been through all the extermination visits, stripping stuff down, vaccuming galore, etc.. Sterifab is safe to use on fabrics and is used by hospitals (my daughter is a nurse and they use it where she works). Those fussing are doing so due to lack of understanding or experience.

Keep in mind - this doesn't work as a prevention - only as a way to kill bedbugs and the eggs if there is infestation. I would not recommend spraying it the sheets or anything you are going to have direct contact with your skin. Also keep in mind this is an insecticide so if you bring something like this on a plane or cruise ship as labeled, you might get stopped.

I missed that the thread was pulled. That's too bad. Did someone start a fuss?

is there an anti bed bug lotion one could put on only themselves ? that way at least you could protect yourself but not be spraying chemicals that could cause harm to others........? just wondering....... and would calomine lotion be a good thing to bring for just in case you have bed bugs in the cabin? thanks for any input

is there an anti bed bug lotion one could put on only themselves ? that way at least you could protect yourself but not be spraying chemicals that could cause harm to others........? just wondering....... and would calomine lotion be a good thing to bring for just in case you have bed bugs in the cabin? thanks for any input

when I was severely bitten on enchantment july 27 sailing cabin 7094 the nurse gave me hydrocortisone cream and benadrly both can be gotten over the counter.. that is what you should take just in case..

don't be surprised if this thread disappears.. seems the moderators do not like us talking about the truth about bed bugs :eek:

(yes I am unhappy because my threads keep getting pulled for no good reason)

beary,

I have read your posts.....

you really should not attach people or the cruise line like you are......

please remember we are on a chat board.....be nice.

I never attacked anyone and have been nothing but nice.. I am trying to make people aware that this is a valid concern and the ship did nothing to resolve the issue even when they were informed the problem existed. I never said anything unkind to anyone. :) I have said all along that the enchantment is a beautiful ship and we had an incredible time, despite the fact that I was severly bitten.. so I apologize to anyone who did not want to know the truth.. I have been very nice about this whole thing.

You'll laugh at what I used when I got bit - liquid bandage. You know the kind you paint on like nail polish? Took the itch right out and dried up the blister.

Try e-mailing the Host Monitor that was on duty when your post was pulled Beary. They would know why. Maybe it became a post for the floataway lounge and they didn't know where to put it. They do that sometimes.

I had no idea that this was any problem............till I headed north yesterday, from Scottsdale, AZ to Prescott, AZ, for a family reunion.

Several of us were staying at a decent (Marriott) hotel in Prescott, and we took a bottle of vodka into their room for cocktails.........and my wifes sister is pulling the sheets out of the end of the bed, and then pulling up the mattress away from the box springs.............and is checking everything with a flashlight.

Well.............I just sat there somewhere between amazement and amuzement.............and then she tells me about bedbugs.......and how they are starting to have a real comeback in America.

So............the conversation that follows gets me a bit bothered. I have not had a chance to check it out for any other source.............but cruise ships are starting to have more bedbugs, as are hotels and motels across America. The sad news is that they were once almost araddacated..........but thru new pest sprays.........that they are immunized to............they are once again attacking beds.

The secret is if you have found them in between your box springs and mattress............call the front dest............and help is on its way.

Rick

Just my 2 cents from California law. You are allowed to apply pesticides on your own property and possesions. You ARE NOT allowed to treat other people's (like the cruise line's) property and possesions. Especially if you make other people ill by your actions.

Feel free to treat your own luggage, but you really can't spray or dust insecticides around hotel rooms or staterooms. As lame as it sounds you will have to address the problem with management and you should expect satisfaction. :)

I never attacked anyone and have been nothing but nice.. I am trying to make people aware that this is a valid concern and the ship did nothing to resolve the issue even when they were informed the problem existed. I never said anything unkind to anyone. :) I have said all along that the enchantment is a beautiful ship and we had an incredible time, despite the fact that I was severly bitten.. so I apologize to anyone who did not want to know the truth.. I have been very nice about this whole thing.

Beary, I suspect it was pulled because other people were attacking you and other people. You were more than nice and helpful. Definitely contact the hosts though to see why it was pulled.

People laugh at me because we travel prepared for most emegencies. Even bugs. I always take a can of Raid. Well perhaps I should take 2 if this is becoming epedemic. Always take Benadrly spray in the event the Raid does not fight the insects. I do not realy want to need to check the bedding when we cruise. Perhaps housekeeping should do a better job of inspection and automatically treat each room before allowing check-ins. It certainly would be worth waiting another 2 hours before boarding to be assured the bugs are not there ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

beary,

I have read your posts,

you really should not attach people or the cruise line like you are......

please remember we are on a chat board.....be nice.

Huh...??? I read through Beary's whole thread before it disappeared and the only people "attacking" (and that is really too strong of a term for most of those posts) were those asking her how she could be SO AMAZINGLY complimentary and upbeat regarding her cruise and RCI after what she'd been through...

I am aggravated that the thread went into oblivion. 1) It was a great overall review of the ship and cruise, despite the bites, and 2) the info was very informative, as were the pics.

Most pics of bites on the internet are of those after they've been scratched into infection, or on people who develop an extreme reaction. I was also victim of bed-bug attack (hotel, not cruise line), and those looked EXACTLY like mine...I had over 20 bites on just one 4 inch area of my forearm (had that arm against headboard while I slept...yuck).

Unfortunately, seems like most threads that are heavily viewed, with potentially unpleasant publicity for RCI end with same fate here... :rolleyes:

Good luck, and I hope they do right by you...

Huh...??? I read through Beary's whole thread before it disappeared and the only people "attacking" (and that is really too strong of a term for most of those posts) were those asking her how she could be SO AMAZINGLY complimentary and upbeat regarding her cruise and RCI after what she'd been through...

I am aggravated that the thread went into oblivion. 1) It was a great overall review of the ship and cruise, despite the bites, and 2) the info was very informative, as were the pics.

Most pics of bites on the internet are of those after they've been scratched into infection, or on people who develop an extreme reaction. I was also victim of bed-bug attack (hotel, not cruise line), and those looked EXACTLY like mine...I had over 20 bites on just one 4 inch area of my forearm (had that arm against headboard while I slept...yuck).

Unfortunately, seems like most threads that are heavily viewed, with potentially unpleasant publicity for RCI end with same fate here... :rolleyes:

Good luck, and I hope they do right by you...

Thank You.. I could not see where I was unkind to anyone.. but I am NOT happy with RCCL right now as I was told the ship has no liability in the poor handling of this case... No Liability ?? so the bed bugs are MY FAULT?? I will contact a lawyer and I will contact media if they do not rethink their inconsiderate response to say "sorry" tough luck..

ok so many ppl are getting crazy over the bedbugs...A note...these critters are a problem in 5 star hotels..mostly brought in, in the luggage...ill bet..(and it may be a icy thought) that thosands more roaches, insects are brought in on a daily basis in luggage, purses...they can flatten to thickness of paper..squeeze through anything...are you all freaking out over that?

If you see bugs (of any kind) tell the attendant..Im sure they have some kind of pest control..and would like to know if a room has bed bugs (which yes you can see) so they can abolish a breakout...aforehand..:)

ok so many ppl are getting crazy over the bedbugs...A note...these critters are a problem in 5 star hotels..mostly brought in, in the luggage...ill bet..(and it may be a icy thought) that thosands more roaches, insects are brought in on a daily basis in luggage, purses...they can flatten to thickness of paper..squeeze through anything...are you all freaking out over that?

If you see bugs (of any kind) tell the attendant..Im sure they have some kind of pest control..and would like to know if a room has bed bugs (which yes you can see) so they can abolish a breakout...aforehand..:)

you can only hope that they would respond to your complaint. I was told I could not have a new mattress and I would have to sleep on the sofa with my daughter. The cabin was never sprayed not even on disembarkation day.. I know this because I returned to the cabin to find it all made up and ready for the next guests. The ship gave me a written incident report but did not put it in ship logs according to RCCL. and now I am told the ship has no liability in this matter... so to the media I shall go and I will be getting a lawyer ASAP.. this was handled all wrong on behalf of RCCL.

you can only hope that they would respond to your complaint. I was told I could not have a new mattress and I would have to sleep on the sofa with my daughter. The cabin was never sprayed not even on disembarkation day.. I know this because I returned to the cabin to find it all made up and ready for the next guests. The ship gave me a written incident report but did not put it in ship logs according to RCCL. and now I am told the ship has no liability in this matter... so to the media I shall go and I will be getting a lawyer ASAP.. this was handled all wrong on behalf of RCCL.

Shame Shame Shame on RCCL.

It' seems as though you did all you could to document the bed bug problem.

And still they do nothing. It's a shame in today's society, nobody takes any responsibility. It's always someone elses fault. Is it so difficult to do the right thing?

I wonder how the people that had your cabin on the following sailing made out with those critters?

You really should follow through with the media and tell us who you contact. I suggest FOX news. It would be an interesting break from the non-stop war coverage - not that a war isn't big news and something to know about - but the repetativeness gets old. Greta is always fun to watch with these kinds or stories. Or Jeraldo! :) But Greta would be better in order for it to be taken seriously.

Every time someone falls overboard it's big news even though something like that doesn't really affect all of us. That's usually a personal tragedy. But bed bugs could happen to anyone and we should be fully informed. That's why these forums are so good.

I hope this one doesn't get pulled.

Please don't waste your money taking anything to spray for bed bugs; the over the counter stuff that the general public can purchase is ineffective. Also, it is illegal to spray pesticides, other than your own property, unless you have the licenses to do so. Not safe!

While bed bugs freak everyone out, even me and I am in the pest control industry, they DO NOT carry diseases. A trick that you can do - without spraying everything in sight - is to pull the bed away from the headboard as that is a favorite hiding spot. Also, you can steam iron the seams of the mattress to eliminate adult bed bugs, this is not permanent solution, as the eggs in the seams will eventually hatch.

There are some great articles on the following websites:

http://www.pestworld.org/database/FactSheet.asp?ID=111&UserType=

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7454.html

I previously posted some numerous tips on what to do while traveling, but I can't find the thread; anyone wanting info on the tips can email me at dog8it@comcast.net. No I am not advertising, just sharing useful info.

I have a question about Bedbugs. We stayed at resort last year and we both got bitten by something. My husband apparently had a bad reaction and had red spots all over his body for about 8 months. Mine cleared up in about a month. I treated mine the same way I had treated chiggers when I was growing up (with nail polish). So I came to the conclusion that we actually had been bitten by chiggers, not bedbugs. We figured that when were collecting pine cones (for about 30 minutes) THAT was when we picked them up and brought them back to our room. You don't ever see the actual chigger, you just see the bites. Much the same way as with bedbugs. I wonder if they are even the same thing? Does anybody know? Is it possible that chiggers were brought back to the cabin from some shore excursion and infested the bed? Whaddaya think of that theory?

Nope, not the same thing. Chiggers are mite larvae, and need plants as food in adulthood to live, thus they live in vegetation. Bedbugs are "blood feeders" and can go 18 MONTHS without a meal, making them a nightmare to get rid of once they've infested walls, furniture, mattresses, etc (where they live). Also, bedbugs are quite a bit bigger than chiggers, they just have very flat bodies and can hide in tiny spots (like a roach). They can most definitely be seen if the lights are turned on quickly, or the headboard is removed. Before Beary's thread vanished, she had stated she actually caught some of the bugs into a cup and gave them to RCCL staff members for proof/identification. Here's a few links:

CHIGGERS

http://www.pestproducts.com/chiggers.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001333.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm

BEDBUGS

http://www.pestproducts.com/bedbug.htm

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/bedbugs.html

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7454.html

And if you aren't scratching madly after reading these articles...:eek:

Archived