Bed Bug Spray

Nope, not the same thing. Chiggers are mite larvae, and need plants as food in adulthood to live, thus they live in vegetation. Bedbugs are "blood feeders" and can go 18 MONTHS without a meal, making them a nightmare to get rid of once they've infested walls, furniture, mattresses, etc (where they live). Also, bedbugs are quite a bit bigger than chiggers, they just have very flat bodies and can hide in tiny spots (like a roach). They can most definitely be seen if the lights are turned on quickly, or the headboard is removed. Before Beary's thread vanished, she had stated she actually caught some of the bugs into a cup and gave them to RCCL staff members for proof/identification. Here's a few links:

CHIGGERS

http://www.pestproducts.com/chiggers.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001333.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm

BEDBUGS

http://www.pestproducts.com/bedbug.htm

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/bedbugs.html

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7454.html

And if you aren't scratching madly after reading these articles...:eek:

LOL....Man you are right about that. Thanks for the information.

You'll laugh at what I used when I got bit - liquid bandage. You know the kind you paint on like nail polish? Took the itch right out and dried up the blister.

Try e-mailing the Host Monitor that was on duty when your post was pulled Beary. They would know why. Maybe it became a post for the floataway lounge and they didn't know where to put it. They do that sometimes.

I think both posts were pulled because the topic was swaying to other things and people were being downright nasty.

I plan to sail on Voyager in Feb 2007 and am now afraid of what I might find. Thanks RCCL for the lack of peace of mind. I'm not sure if Raid is on my list or not. RCCL has some damage control to do and they really should do it fast by making some sort of PUBLIC announcement. .

Im not taking sides here..because this is a wrongful situation indeed..But..seems since RCCL is replacing all their beds/bedding this month..that maybe why they didint take her so seriously..seeing as they were going to replace the infested stuff anyways....just a thought...im sure the bed bugs were brought in by the people before you. if you noticed them that badly. Im sure they would of too..at least one would think...

I've been following the bedbug topic with interest as I will be on NOS in December. When people refer to RCCL replacing bedding and beds, does this just mean sheets/pillows/mattresses? Or is the entire bed being replaced? I'm just wondering because it seems like headboards, curtains, etc are main places for the bugs to hide, so if RCCL is only replacing 'bedding', wouldn't there still be the possibility of bedbugs living in the headboards etc?

Thanks

Donna

If you must use something, your best bet is a permethrin based insecticide. These are sold everywhere from Wal-Mart to REI. Usually you will find them marketed as anti-headlice sprays for bedding and clothes, and other times as general camping supplies for use against all insects. Permethrin itself is not good for people, but the quantities in these products is usually in the fraction of one percent. Still plenty to off a lot of bugs and these are approved for use on fabrics that come into contact with skin.

That said, I will take my chances. If I wind up chewed up by these, the cruise line will make it right, or I will get my pound of flesh from them. They should be taking care of the problem, not waiting for their guests to take matters into their own hands.

The anti-headlice sprays for bedding and clothes can make asthma conditions worse in children according to my DD's pediatrician. They also say it on the sprays themselves. Please no spraying...call your room attendant or guest relations.

The anti-headlice sprays for bedding and clothes can make asthma conditions worse in children according to my DD's pediatrician. They also say it on the sprays themselves. Please no spraying...call your room attendant or guest relations.

Any pesticide on someone else's bed is probably a bad idea (and illegal in some cases), but this beats someone bringing in a can of Raid and going to town since this is the sort of thing it is designed for. FWIW, I have asthma and it has never caused me any trouble.

However, as I stated, it is the cruise line's/hotel's/whoever's responsibility to eradicate these things. Not the guest's. I would hope they take that responsibility seriously.

The product is only rubbing alcohol and water. You can go to the drug store and buy rubbing alcohol for less than a buck, I'm sure. Also DON"T smoke while you're spritzing the stuff around and don't spray it onto electrical items that are plugged into a socket. The stuff is FLAMMABLE.

Having registered pesticides with EPA, I know that the MSDS has to (by law) state what the ingredients are in the product. The only item listed on the MSDS is isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

I've been following the bedbug topic with interest as I will be on NOS in December. When people refer to RCCL replacing bedding and beds, does this just mean sheets/pillows/mattresses? Or is the entire bed being replaced? I'm just wondering because it seems like headboards, curtains, etc are main places for the bugs to hide, so if RCCL is only replacing 'bedding', wouldn't there still be the possibility of bedbugs living in the headboards etc?

Thanks

Donna

I believe it is mattresses and linens. This will most probably NOT be adequate to eradicate a bedbug infestation in a stateroom. They hide under baseboards, furniture, behind headboards, etc. Having ineffective (and potentially dangerous) chemicals sprayed by overzealous, anxious travelers is not an answer either. The problem needs to be addressed using "pest control" measures, by a pest control PROFESSIONAL (if you check out some of the info links posted, this is what is strongly recommended), and not just cleaned by housekeeping staff.

However, as I stated, it is the cruise line's/hotel's/whoever's responsibility to eradicate these things. Not the guest's. I would hope they take that responsibility seriously.

The problem is--RCCL has informed Beary that the bedbug issue that she experience in the stateroom is HER problem and that THEY have NO liability in this matter. When she returned to the cabin right before disembarking, she saw that it had been made up and was ready for the next guests...without being treated.

The problem is--RCCL has informed Beary that the bedbug issue that she experience in the stateroom is HER problem and that THEY have NO liability in this matter. When she returned to the cabin right before disembarking, she saw that it had been made up and was ready for the next guests...without being treated.

And if that was the response I got, I would have to reply that my lawyer thinks it's their problem, and they had better be prepared to defend their position in court. I'm not a sue happy person, but this crosses the line. One benefit to hearing how they are treating her is that if I should experience a similar problem, I know full well to do everything I can to start building a case against them, because they are not interested in doing anything themselves.

Hello everyone! Bed bugs are real. Here is another article talking about the bed bug proliferation...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060807/ap_on_re_us/bedbugs_are_back_4

Bed bugs do not bite once and then go away, they can literally bite away all night and you can wake up completely biten up from head to toe.

I am a newbie poster and am not sure if I am allowed to write this...here goes...on the web site cruisejunkie.com, they have an accident/incident link. Bed bugs have been reported on some ships. From what I have read on this post as well reading information off cruisejunkie and other sites, it seems the issue is that cruise ships do not have policies re: bug infestations which can ruin a trip. They don't seem to feel it is their problem. I stumbled across some ship reviews on cruise critic which indicated the same issue over and over again...travelers have bed bug problems and no response and/or compensation from the cruise line for a ruined trip.

Good luck to beary!

Beary..... I might have missed a bit the past few days....have been too busy to spend online time. Have you heard from RCCL yet? Hopefully yes.

If not, I know if it was me that was in your place they would next be hearing from my attorney. ( they tend to listen better then)

Please keep us informed.

I will be getting on the Enchantment on Monday. Should I go to room 7094 and ask the occupant in that room on my cruise if I can check their bed for bedbugs? :D Or might that offend them? Would this be a good deed? Or just plain mean and upsetting? Or maybe it is mean to allow them to get bedbugs.

My luggage could end up next to theirs at some point in the transfer. :( That's a scary thought.

I will be getting on the Enchantment on Monday. Should I go to room 7094 and ask the occupant in that room on my cruise if I can check their bed for bedbugs? :D Or might that offend them? Would this be a good deed? Or just plain mean and upsetting? Or maybe it is mean to allow them to get bedbugs.

My luggage could end up next to theirs at some point in the transfer. :( That's a scary thought.

I am appalled at the reports of RCCL denying any responsibility for this incident. While the sheer numbers (very low) are overwhelmingly in support of any one of us not having a problem, the entire assessment of Risk includes both probability as well as consequence. It's hard to even imagine the total revulsion many of us would feel at the prospect of being stuck in a bloody, bug infested cabin for an entire cruise.

RCCL is clearly living in denial here, both of the actual problem as well as the fact that this is no longer a world of one-on-one customer to provider communication. The internet has forever elminated that. It is the ultimate "light of day" provider, and eventually the truth of their policy will be made known and they will either change it or suffer the consequences.

I can only answer the question from my own perspective. If I were in a cabin that was known to be previously infected, I would be very greatful if someone came by and told me about it. I think informing them of this would be a very kind thing to do, and not just for them, but for all of us, if it will help to force RCCL to suck it up and do the right thing.

If cruise after cruise after cruise, we keep the occupants informed of the issue, even the stupidest hotel manager is going to eventually figure out they need to fix the problem. It has to become more expensive to ignore than to fix, before they will.

Theron

That is exactly correct.. I sent back an email and informed that I have released my pics to the media, and I DID get a phone call today.. FINALLY an actual person was kind enough to listen to me.. I have to see where we go from here. I faxed all proof (AGAIN) and emailed him most of the pics, including the yellow bagged linen sitting on the bed..

So that is where we are... not much further than before, but I did however get a phone call today, so maybe they will make this right since the whole incident was handled so negligently.

Have a good night to all.

Beary

That puts an interesting spin on the question, MB and TP. If it was me, and someone had knowledge of a bedbug problem in my hotel or stateroom, I would definitely want to know. I don't know how I would react to a stranger coming to my door to mention it, though. I started to say,,,if they looked friendly, but I really don't know what I would think. If I let them in and we found some...great...we could advise immediate action. If they didn't find any, the poor person might be creeped out all week. :o

There has been a lot of mention about Beary's room not being treated and already made up for guests...you should probably know that most shipboard pest control treatments are done by licensed pest control companies, onshore, on the turnaround day. The room steward may not have been aware that it was scheduled. At San Pedro, we have seen as many as 10-12 pest control trucks from a major pest control company at the pier on boarding day. All those technicians have boarded and are working around the ship before it sails. :)

That puts an interesting spin on the question, MB and TP. If it was me, and someone had knowledge of a bedbug problem in my hotel or stateroom, I would definitely want to know. I don't know how I would react to a stranger coming to my door to mention it, though. I started to say,,,if they looked friendly, but I really don't know what I would think. If I let them in and we found some...great...we could advise immediate action. If they didn't find any, the poor person might be creeped out all week. :o

There has been a lot of mention about Beary's room not being treated and already made up for guests...you should probably know that most shipboard pest control treatments are done by licensed pest control companies, onshore, on the turnaround day. The room steward may not have been aware that it was scheduled. At San Pedro, we have seen as many as 10-12 pest control trucks from a major pest control company at the pier on boarding day. All those technicians have boarded and are working around the ship before it sails. :)

good information.. but they apparently missed my cabin :(

I understand that, B. And unfortunately bedbugs require multiple treatments, infestations usually keep going, and going and going. (obviously). It is just speculation that MAYBE they planned to do something about it? Could just as easily be maybe not.:D All I'm saying is that they do utilize commercial applicators. :)

I understand that, B. And unfortunately bedbugs require multiple treatments, infestations usually keep going, and going and going. (obviously). It is just speculation that MAYBE they planned to do something about it? Could just as easily be maybe not.:D All I'm saying is that they do utilize commercial applicators. :)

you are absolutely correct

Here is a copy of the exact email I recieved from RCCL

Ms. Monica Beach

We are writing in regards to your email communication addressed to Adam Goldstein on August 3, 2006. We thank you for allowing us to review your concerns and are very sorry about the unfortunate incident described in your letter.

We wish to thank you for bringing this important matter to our attention and after checking with the Enchantment of the seas find there was no report of any type of infestation on this particular cruise. Please note that a bug exterminating company routinely exterminates the ship, and our bedding and blankets are changed daily by our housekeeping staff.

It is nearly impossible to completely irradicate any type of insect-as in many instances they come in with other guests' luggage, from the different ports of call delivereies to the ship, ect. We realize this is a frustrating type of experiance, but please understand there is no liability on the part of the cruise line.

We thank you for bringing this important matter to our attention, and hope to welcome you back onboard another cruise in the very near future.

Maria Lorie' Diaz

Adjuster- Guest Claims

Risk Management Department

direct line (305) 982-2531

Fax (305) 982-2531

MLDiaz@rccl.com

SO there you have it .. verbatem as recieved...

My reply was as follows:

Ms. Diaz

In response to your reply I can assure you that I have validation that my cabin was very infested with bed bugs. One week after being bitten I still have marks on my body. I took live specimens to the purser's desk and showed them to the nurseon board as well as the hotel manager. I have the pictures and documents to prove it.They yellow bagged my linen and then left th eyellow bagged linen in my cabin. I could not even get a new mattress and was told to sleep with my daughter on the sofa. The manner in which this was handled is completely unacceptable and I will contact an attorney and please note that I will take this to the media immediately since you state the ship has no liability in this matter. I was bitten over 80 times and then had to carefully unpack and wash every item with great care when I got home. I have spent MANY THOUSANDS of dollars sailing on RCCL, and have three pending reservations currently...sounds like I need to cancel my three existing reservations since this is apparently not important to RCCL, as it is a very SERIOUS issue, and your response is totally unacceptable.

In another email to Ms Diaz:

Ms. Diaz:

I am attaching the severe pictures of the extensive bed bug bites from teh enchantment of the seas. You indicated that they did not record the incident, though I have an incident report from the nurse onboard and documented names of all crew members I spoke to in this incident. You indicate that the ship has no liability, so the pics I am sending you have been released to the media and will be taken to my lawyer since RCCL cannot make this right fro me. I have always sailed RCCL in the past and prefer to sail RCCL in the future. It is very sad that RCCL finds this as an insignificant problem, and to be told the room would be sprayed at turnaround, I went back and found the cabin all ready for the next occupants..what if it were your child in that bed?

I could not get a different mattress..please note the filth stains on the mattress after the linens were stripped off the bed. The condition of the mattress is deplorable and unacceptable. Please note the yellow bagged linens in my cabin, and then note how badly I was bitten..then tell me the ship is not responsible??

I am now seeking full compensation due to the negligence of RCCL in teh very poor manner this has been handled.

Monica Beach

I will continue to keep you informed.. now I have to get some sleep.. morning comes way too fast. :)

Maybe I should just print the important parts of this out and slide it under the door. I'm not sure I would want to set foot in the room to look.

It would creep me out if someone told me this and there was no sign of them in the room. Of course it would creep me out more if there were signs of them.

I can tell you I won't be going to the crown and anchor study just 2 doors away from room 7094. And I'm glad my room on the 8th floor is way forward and not directly over that room.

They may not be a grizzly bear. They are worse. One can protect themself against a bear. One shot and he's down. These bugs would be my worst nightmare. And to think when my kids were small that I had a fear of head lice....

Usually I just check one side of my mattress when entering a room on board or in a hotel. On Monday, my mattress will be inspected all the way around along with banging of the headboard over some white paper. BEFORE bringing in my luggage.

Beary

Start a new thread when you get your response as this one is dropping fast.

Maybe you should suggest Steri-Fab to the cruise line? I would be more inclinded for the cruise ship or any other public facility to use this rather than an insecticide, and certainly not Raid or other chemical insecticides directly to the bedding.

Per their site - Once it drys (15-20 min) is biodegradable, leaves no residue or active ingrediants. As an It is a combination of synthetic pyrethroid, a dual Quat, Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and water. Further to that, it is a disinfectant that sanitizes (bactericide, germicide, mildewcide, fungicide), which is why is is used in hospitals, daycare and schools. According to their site -

"PASSED THE MILDEWCIDE EFFECTIVENESS TEST AGAINST ASPERGILLUS NIGER."

"...................PASSED THE GERMICIDAL SPRAY PRODUCTS TEST AGAINST PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA, SALMONELLA CHOLERAESURIS, STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS AND TRICHOPHYTON MENTAGROPHYTES WITH A TEN MINUTE EXPOSURE TIME."

"...................SHOWED NO SURVIVING VIRUS AND IS THEREFORE EFFECTIVE AGAINST HERPES SIMPLEX TYPE II."

So maybe RCCL should use this to control not just the bedbugs, but also the noro and other nasties as a standard practice. The site lists this product as applicable to the nasty areas "STERI FAB SHOULD BE SOLD FOR APPLICATIONS THAT OTHER PRODUCTS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR, EG: TO BE SPRAYED DIRECTLY ON FURNITURE, LOCKERS, CABINETS, DRAWERS, CARPETS, CAR INTERIORS, ANIMAL BEDDING/CAGES, BEDS, BUS SEATS/INTERIORS, HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM AREAS, DOCTORS OFFICES, POLICE CARS, PRISONS / HOLDING CELLS, GARBAGE BINS ETC."

Archived