UK airports on Maximum alert

haggis

Wow, what a mess. DsrtDrmr. it sounds like your relative might well be stuck for a bit. Seems like quite a few airlines have cancelled their flights, and the rest are going to be significantly delayed.

Apparently, they're making everyone check all items that aren't essential, and those items (passport, wallet, medicine) must be carried on in clear plastic bags. I also read that the explosives are thought to have been liquid in nature, and they're making everyone dump their liquids, in the US as well as the UK.

I can imagine this is going to be a test of a lot of peoples' patience, not the least of whom will be the group of passengers bound to and heading home from the Golden Princess today.

People should also be aware that US airports (just announced) will not permit any liquids to be carried on board an aircraft in carry-on luggage, including things like shampoo and mouthwash bottles. The only exceptions are being made for baby formula, which must pass a taste test, and liquid prescription medications that are properly labeled.

The morning news here in canada also does say that Toronto Pearson has also stated NO liquids at all, except for medicine and baby food. Anything else must be checked. Also doing "shoe searches". Going to be a big mess for anyone going to, returning from the UK.

So.....DON"T pack ANY liquid in carryons, BUT DO be prepared for some long lines at checkin and security.

They said this increase in security will be in place at least a few days minimum.

The morning news here in canada also does say that Toronto Pearson has also stated NO liquids at all, except for medicine and baby food. Anything else must be checked. Also doing "shoe searches". Going to be a big mess for anyone going to, returning from the UK.

So.....DON"T pack ANY liquid in carryons, BUT DO be prepared for some long lines at checkin and security.

They said this increase in security will be in place at least a few days minimum.

It's also a big mess for anyone traveling from anywhere into the US and around the US. Make sure you all leave tons of time and the airports around the US are completely backed up.

Apparently for those flying to and from the UK you are not allowed a carry on at all.

I am so glad that we did the Golden Princess British Isles cruise on July 11th. We wanted to do the one that ended today but it would have ended too close to the start of school.

Gatwick was a mess without elevated security protocols.

Just woke up to the news telling everyone that carry ons to/from the UK are limited to a clear plastic bag with only essentials, things like meds, glasses etc. No liquids or gels unless it is baby formula (that must meet the taste test) or mediciations. Everything else must be checked. This is going to be a toughy for those leaving or coming home from their cruises over in the UK.

And to think, I tried to talk DH into going back to the UK this month and he didn't want to. Guess he made the right decision this year.

Sounds like there are going to be a rash of terrible delays today. But this threat sounds like it was stopped as some were about to board planes. EKK!

Best of luck to all those flying today, hang in there and don't forget to pack your patience. ;)

Flying is just the pitts anymore.

Thanks, everyone, for your great links! Still haven't heard from DH, but have heard that cell phones, and everything else, have been banned, and have had to be checked. According to airline site, plane still delayed.

I DID see a cruise passenger interviewed at Gatwick, and he seemed okay with the delays in the circumstances.

I sure feel for everyone stuck, as they all must be missing connections, etc, and be exhausted when they do get home. It's better than what COULD have happened though...........thank God the British police, and all other agencies involved, foiled this plot.

thank God the British police, and all other agencies involved, foiled this plot.

AMEN!

Since liquid explosives can not be detected by x-ray, will they allow liquids in the checked luggage? We may find ourselves purchasing those things at destinations and discarding them before our flights home.

Another negative thought (since we can no longer lock our bags), hopefully there will not be a rash of cameras, jewelry etc. stolen from checked bags.

Another negative thought (since we can no longer lock our bags), hopefully there will not be a rash of cameras, jewelry etc. stolen from checked bags.

Ive always wondered what the point of that is, its only flights within the US / Out of the US that you can't lock your bags on. All the flights within Europe and from Europe to the USA you can lock your bags. Surely its safer to have the bags locked so noone can stick something into them???

Ohh well!

Everyone will have to fly naked from now on so nothing can be concealed. All electronics and luggage must be checked in. :rolleyes:

Now I feel safe!

Hey, Steve,

How about this?

Everyone flies naked on one plane while ALL the luggage is sent on a second plane flown by a drone.

NOW, I feel safe! :D

This is so scary. What has this world come to? This is very upsetting.

And as I think someone already mentioned...........the Golden is in Southhampton today and many of the passengers are probably heading to either Gatwick or Heathrow for their flights home. Not going to happen today.

Archived