Fun Fountain Card and Bottled Water???? HELP!!

arcticcruiser

The soda card costs $4 per day for children (under 18) and $5.50 per day for adults, plus there is a 15% service charge (tip) when you buy the card. You have to purchase the card to cover your entire cruise (i.e a 4 day child card is $20 + $3 tip for a total of $23). Sometimes the convenience is worth it (i.e. you don't have to go back to the cabin for the drinks you bring on board or sign for each drink you buy), and if you are a big soda drinker (3-4 per day which is pretty easy to do on the ship) it is worth it. The soda card covers sodas at any of the bars, lounges, and dining room (not room service).

Bottled water is available on the ship, but is not covered by the soda card. Keep in mind that the water on the ship is highly filtered and distilled by the on-board system and is very good. In my opinion it is equal to any bottled water, but if you like bottled water, just be ready to carry a supply on with you or have your sign and sail card ready!

Any way you go, have a great cruise!

bill

Not much, maybe $1.50 a glass. I think you would have to drink 4 - 5 per day before you break even. That is a lot of soda. I have bought them in the past, but it is somewhat of a hassle to keep going up to the bar and ask for a soda. I just bring my own now.

cans of soda went up this year-- now 1.75 each can plus 15% gratuity. a few cents over 2 bucks per can.

Carnival sells soda coupons on the gift pages 4 cans for 6.80 which includes the tips.

You can carry on a reasonable amount of soda and water.

Bottled water is about 3.50 each bottle. Take your own and fill it at the Lido deck.

7 day cruise soda card is 45. bucks. = for a couple you are looking at 90 bucks for unlimited soda - for me-- that is way too much money.

You can bring one bottle of water with you and just keep filling it up as you need it. Have your cabin steward fill your ice holder everyday and leave your bottle in it. The onboard ships water is good and you can get it on Lido deck by the Juice station.

Fred

Not much, maybe $1.50 a glass. I think you would have to drink 4 - 5 per day before you break even. That is a lot of soda. I have bought them in the past, but it is somewhat of a hassle to keep going up to the bar and ask for a soda. I just bring my own now.

I am not a soda drinker - however DH will drin 4 glasses with dinner so we will definitely get him a card.

Bottled water is available on the ship, but is not covered by the soda card. Keep in mind that the water on the ship is highly filtered and distilled by the on-board system and is very good. In my opinion it is equal to any bottled water, but if you like bottled water, just be ready to carry a supply on with you or have your sign and sail card ready!

Dont drink the sea water, fish have done all kinds of things in that water.

I am not a soda drinker - however DH will drin 4 glasses with dinner so we will definitely get him a card.

Does anyone have a problem getting the bar waiter to wait on you at dinner for soda??

Last cruise we had soda coupons... we got waited on once the first night and it was like pulling teeth the rest of the week. Refills?? ha.

by the 3rd night we knew to order 2 at a time..ask for an extra cup of ice.

I cant imagine what its like with a soda card.

With the soda card-- can you get a bigger glass at dinner time thenthe smaller ones they give you?

Someone mentioned in a tip section to purchase the soda the second day instead of the first since it would get little use, normally. That would save $4.00 (four day cruise). Has anybody actually done this before and where are they selling them after the first day?

Does anyone have a problem getting the bar waiter to wait on you at dinner for soda??

Last cruise we had soda coupons... we got waited on once the first night and it was like pulling teeth the rest of the week. Refills?? ha.

With the soda card-- can you get a bigger glass at dinner time thenthe smaller ones they give you?

Our experience with the card has been very different from yours. We've shown the cards to the bar waiter the first night and usually had the same sodas sitting on the table when we got there the rest of the cruise. Also, refills were never a problem. I like the water on the ship, but with the card I usually will have 2 diet sodas with dinner as well.

Sorry your experience wasn't very good. I've never used the coupons and I usually tip the bar server a couple of dollars at least the first night (and later too if our sodas keep showing up!).

bill

Someone mentioned in a tip section to purchase the soda the second day instead of the first since it would get little use, normally. That would save $4.00 (four day cruise). Has anybody actually done this before and where are they selling them after the first day?

any bar will have them. The pursers desk is another choice.

Each day you wait the cheaper it will get.

Why are people paying so much for Soda? We haven't even gone on the cruise yet (Carnival Valor - Oct 15-06) and I'm already getting annoyed with all the fees being charged. Now I find out that we have to pay $45 for a card just to drink soda???? Basically I'm assuming it means at dinner (which I hope is included in the price!) anything we drink we'll have to pay for. I think that is very low and I'm really not pleased. As a rule, we generally don't drink alcohol, so we usually have soda and/or iced tea (which I hope is listed as soda).

Does anyone else know what isn't included on a Carnival cruise? I'm bringing $1,200 in spending money but the more I hear about the cruise, the more I think that won't be enough (i.e. tendering [not sure what that is but have read that it can be expensive], tipping all the time, fountain drinks, etc.)

Why are people paying so much for Soda? We haven't even gone on the cruise yet (Carnival Valor - Oct 15-06) and I'm already getting annoyed with all the fees being charged. Now I find out that we have to pay $45 for a card just to drink soda???? Basically I'm assuming it means at dinner (which I hope is included in the price!) anything we drink we'll have to pay for. I think that is very low and I'm really not pleased. As a rule, we generally don't drink alcohol, so we usually have soda and/or iced tea (which I hope is listed as soda).

Does anyone else know what isn't included on a Carnival cruise? I'm bringing $1,200 in spending money but the more I hear about the cruise, the more I think that won't be enough (i.e. tendering [not sure what that is but have read that it can be expensive], tipping all the time, fountain drinks, etc.)

Tendering is not a separate charge, that is included in port fees which are included in the price of your cruise. (or something like that. I just know it is not an extra fee!)

Ice Tea is not charged for, neither are the juices you can get from the juice stations on the Lido deck. Coffee, hot tea, and hot chocolate are also available on the Lido deck for free. All your meals are included (including room service, just remember to tip a couple of dollars or whatever depending on how much you order) except the Supper Club, that's $30 per person. You will pay for anything alcoholic you drink and any soda pop (Coke, Sprite, etc...). You will also pay for anything you get from the specialty coffee bar. You will not pay for any food from the formal dining rooms, Lido deck restaurant, Deli, Asian food counter, 24-hour pizzaria, 24-hour soft-serve ice cream/frozen yogurt.

Did I miss anything? :)

You do pay for soda, but coffe, tea, iced tea ,milk & I believe there is some sort of fruit punch are all free.

You are not charged for tendering, (well it's included in your fare).

it's not a problem i've had to deal with ship to ship. i remember our first cruise we didn't get waited at the table for pop, but then the next two we did, and they even knew what we wanted to order and brought it to us without even asking (we had the fountain fun cards).

Thank-you both so much! Since neither of us drink pop (I guess that's what we call soda in Canada... I don't know why!), we may not purchase the card, although I do have a craving for diet coke every now and then. The breakdown of what is included is very helpful and kind of you since we haven't received our cruise documentation yet. Much appreciated!

Don

Thank-you both so much! Since neither of us drink pop (I guess that's what we call soda in Canada... I don't know why!), we may not purchase the card, although I do have a craving for diet coke every now and then. The breakdown of what is included is very helpful and kind of you since we haven't received our cruise documentation yet. Much appreciated!

Don

No problem! I'm not possitive, but I don't remember ever seeing a breakdown of what is included and what isn't, as far as food/beverages go, in my cruise documents. There may be information on Carnival's website, but I'm not sure about that either. :o Sometimes it can be difficult to find this sort of info before you go, which is why we have these message boards. :)

ETA: We call it pop in Minnesota too, and I've heard most of Michigan calls it pop as well. :)

Can you really carry on your own soda and if so how much can I take along? A 12 pack?

Yes, you are allowed to bring your own soda. I have not done it myself, but many others have said they bring a 12 pack with no problems. I would guess depending on how many people you were traveling with you could bring more, maybe two 12 packs for 4 people or something. I believe Carnival's site/documentation says you can bring a "reasonable" amount of soda, so it is sort of open to interpretation. :)

Archived