Poll: Should Carnival go all casual?

Should carnival do away with Formal nights?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should carnival do away with Formal nights?

• They should go to casual dress every day.
    • They should have optional Formal nights
    • I'd never cruise on a ship that was all casual.
    • I'm undecided!

I love that I can go and plan my outfits and dress up - knowing that others will be dressed up is part of the fun of the cruise. I love the dinner and a show. But the parties with themes and the nights that we dress up are why I go cruising. I found that I also like tables being at certain times and getting to know my waiter. Regular things in an extrodinary setting! Now that is Fun!! [And of course - The Chocolate Buffet! But I digress.]
I also like it that the kids get to see their parents dressed up. It doesn't happen as much now as it did in the past and who knows what the kids will need to know.

I mean otherwise it is just a big floating hotel. Yawnnn! - I might just as well go to a hotel on shore where you don't have to worry about sea-sickness or If I wanted to just cruise there is the barefoot cruises.

Great pole.
Carol

[quote name='hockeypapa']:d Its Like My Mother Taught Us Keep Your Eyes On Your Own Plate And You Wont Know What Anyone Else Is Wearing!!!!:d You Pays Your Money And You Eat Where And When You Want!!! If Youy Want To Dress Up Fine But Remember Clothes Dont Make The Man!!!:d When Your Sitting At The Table Can You Really Tell If Im Wearing Jeans Dockers Or Tux Pants!!! Some People Need To Get A Life And Stop Playing Dress Up:d[/quote]

Going to dinner on a cruise ship is not "putting on the feed bag". It is like going out to dinner at a nice restaurant. My food tastes the same whether I eat it over the kitchen sink or at our dining room table, in my pajamas or even nekkid. That's not the point at all.

People aren't playing dress up, they are conforming to society, whether you like to or not. That one dresses for the occasion is protocol, something our society is lacking big time and it is getting worse. While I don't really care what clothes you have on, I do care how I and my family are presented. We're not fashion plates, we don't spend a fortune on clothing, you probably would not even notice us, we're so conservative.

I've been on enough cruises to know that some people just don't understand the concept of not only formal nights, they don't have a clue what constitutes casual. It's not the same casual as a backyard barbeque or a day at the beach. It's cleaned up, decent looking, put on a pair of slacks rather than jeans, put on a shirt rather than a T-shirt. At the least, it would be great if people could at least dress as well as the help. That some wear jeans that are nice is not the point, either. If people wore nice jeans and cleaned up with a nice shirt and something other than tennis shoes, I doubt if anyone would notice the jeans at all. But, the fact remains that many look like Bubba, in his sloppy jeans, too-tight logo T-shirt and dirty sneakers.

Whoever we sit with we usually have a great time with, we are a fun family. It would not, in the least, affect our dinner if the other people came in wearing jeans or shorts. But, you're not going to catch us doing it, no matter how many people look sloppy.

Everyone has a life until it's over.

i tried kicking this back to carnival again but Host Randy sent it back to us with a note to me that they do not allow clothing discussions on the Carnival message board....

[quote name='Host Star']i tried kicking this back to carnival again but Host Randy sent it back to us with a note to me that they do not allow clothing discussions on the Carnival message board....[/quote]

Seeing how incredibly nasty some of the threads are over on the Carnival board, it does not surprise me.:(

But why do we have to be subjected to it here? Seems that a lot of threads no one else wants are moved here these days.

[quote name='Host Star']i tried kicking this back to carnival again but Host Randy sent it back to us with a note to me that they do not allow clothing discussions on the Carnival message board....[/quote]

OH NOOOOO :eek: :eek: :D

Why do people have to throw a temper tantrum about dressing up? I can practically see these people standing outside the cruise terminal and in their homes with picket signs boycotting formal night.

Would these same people do this at a 5 star restaurant? How is that any different? Everyone has a choice to eat at other venues on a cruise ship. Nowhere does it say that you have to eat at the Formal Dining room or starve. There are other options. If you do not want to dress up, go eat at the buffet.

Again, I say, keep the Formal Dinners with other options, for those who do not wish to dress up in formal wear. If you want a cruise with no formal attire, do your research, they are out there. On these cruise lines, you are still required to dress appropriately and put together.

With that being said, if you are still bent out of shape with the whole concept of cruises with formal dining, then maybe a cruise is not for you. There are other vacations out there to accomodate everyone's style.

[quote name='SunFunCruiser']Right, except for when there *IS* a dress code.
I agree clothes don't make a man, but there are rules and there are places to go if you don't want to be dressed up. Plenty of options actually.[/quote] ISNT IT TRUE THAT ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS THEY HAVE THE BETTER MEALS? LIKE LOBSTER? IF TRUE WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO SETTLE ON PIZZA OR FISH AND CHIPS BECAUSE I CANT STAND WEARING A TIE!!!! I BELIEVE CARNIVAL TAKES ALL MONEY AND DOESNT CARE WHAT YOUR WEARING WHEN YOU PAY THEM!!!

[quote name='caviargal']Seeing how incredibly nasty some of the threads are over on the Carnival board, it does not surprise me.:(

But why do we have to be subjected to it here? Seems that a lot of threads no one else wants are moved here these days.[/quote]

Yes, and the threads we want are removed and then lumped into one mumbo-jumbo thread that no longer has any continuity. :(

[quote name='GoinCruisin']There wasn't an option for those who think it's fine how it is. Formal night is already optional... nobody has to dress up. There are plenty of options for those that don't want to. I think it's fine exactly how it is... and apparently the majority of people on cruises think so too, since the majority of them seem to show up for formal nights.[/quote]

Well said GC. If you want to dress up, go for it, if you don't want to you don't have to!

[quote name='hockeypapa']ISNT IT TRUE THAT ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS THEY HAVE THE BETTER MEALS? LIKE LOBSTER? IF TRUE WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO SETTLE ON PIZZA OR FISH AND CHIPS BECAUSE I CANT STAND WEARING A TIE!!!! I BELIEVE CARNIVAL TAKES ALL MONEY AND DOESNT CARE WHAT YOUR WEARING WHEN YOU PAY THEM!!![/quote]

Quite frankly, "better meals" is subjective, IMO. I have rarely had a decent lobster on a mass market ship and the rest of the meals are pretty standard banquet fare. Good, but not exceptional.

And, you are correct that Carnival will not enforce any dress code at all. I saw it all:mad: .

[quote name='hockeypapa']ISNT IT TRUE THAT ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS THEY HAVE THE BETTER MEALS? LIKE LOBSTER? IF TRUE WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO SETTLE ON PIZZA OR FISH AND CHIPS BECAUSE I CANT STAND WEARING A TIE!!!! I BELIEVE CARNIVAL TAKES ALL MONEY AND DOESNT CARE WHAT YOUR WEARING WHEN YOU PAY THEM!!![/QUOTE]

I guess "better food" is subjective. I rather have pizza than an over cooked lobster that sin't from Maine. lol

[quote name='hockeypapa']ISNT IT TRUE THAT ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS THEY HAVE THE BETTER MEALS? LIKE LOBSTER? IF TRUE WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO SETTLE ON PIZZA OR FISH AND CHIPS BECAUSE I CANT STAND WEARING A TIE!!!! I BELIEVE CARNIVAL TAKES ALL MONEY AND DOESNT CARE WHAT YOUR WEARING WHEN YOU PAY THEM!!![/quote]

No the food's not better on formal night. The menu is different every night. Lobster is served, but it's pretty awful. Have lobster at your local restaurant, it'll be better. Red Lobster probably doesn't have a dress code.

However, on formal night, the dining room is more elaborately set, the waitstaff are in more formal uniforms and the whole staff and Capt are dressed in formal wear - gowns and tuxedo's for social staff. There is usually a Captain's Party before dinner and photographers are all around the ship to snap shots of people looking their best. (No obligation to buy)
The entire ship takes on a more formal "glow" and many people love it and it's one of the attractions of cruising for many.

People that choose not to take part in the formal festivities of the evening can dine at alternative venue's where there are plenty of good choices. It's not a pizza or fish 'n chips evening.

BTW, WOULD YOU MIND NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS PLEASE? IT COMES THROUGH LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING.

Thanks.

[quote name='petro772']My worthless vote: one dining room formal; one dining room casual.[/QUOTE]

I always said that would work- or even one seating be formal and the other not. Even the show in the lounge could be shown another night-same show- for those who do not do formal night.

another thing some lines do-is you can order the lobster through room service-I love eating dinner on my balcony-so if all the lines did that and then you choose not to eat formal-have lobster on your balcony.

even the lido restuarant could be "dressed up" a little on formal night-for those who don't want to dress formally-and instead of a buffet-have waiters there and lobster-Celebrity does this-they do recommend you leave a small tip of $2 a person.

[quote name='suziescruzin']Well said GC. If you want to dress up, go for it, if you don't want to you don't have to![/QUOTE]
Can't understand what the big deal is about a dress code. Relax the code and you will be sitting at the dinner table with someone barefoot and in a wet swimsuit. Dress codes are everywhere but someone is always interested in getting around them. If you're not comfortable with the dress code, drinking age, smoking policy, etc., than don't go. Personally, we welcome the chance to get dressed up for dinner. We wouldn't go to a nice restaurant at home without "sprucing up" a bit. Smart casual is usually a safe choice but let's not relax those dress codes too much. Formal night is a time when the ship shows off its best so let's give them our best.

[quote name='jaybird from SC']Can't understand what the big deal is about a dress code. Relax the code and you will be sitting at the dinner table with someone barefoot and in a wet swimsuit. Dress codes are everywhere but someone is always interested in getting around them. If you're not comfortable with the dress code, drinking age, smoking policy, etc., than don't go. Personally, we welcome the chance to get dressed up for dinner. We wouldn't go to a nice restaurant at home without "sprucing up" a bit. Smart casual is usually a safe choice but let's not relax those dress codes too much. Formal night is a time when the ship shows off its best so let's give them our best.[/quote]

Actually I was refering to the fact that there is an alternative dining venue. The buffet is a great choice for those who choose not to dress up.

[quote name='jaybird from SC']Can't understand what the big deal is about a dress code. Relax the code and you will be sitting at the dinner table with someone barefoot and in a wet swimsuit. Dress codes are everywhere but someone is always interested in getting around them. If you're not comfortable with the dress code, drinking age, smoking policy, etc., than don't go. Personally, we welcome the chance to get dressed up for dinner. We wouldn't go to a nice restaurant at home without "sprucing up" a bit. Smart casual is usually a safe choice but let's not relax those dress codes too much. Formal night is a time when the ship shows off its best so let's give them our best.[/quote]

You see this is the "TUX" attitude.

No relaxation so we don't have people in shorts and swim trunks.

You can enforce a no shorts policy a lot better than a suit & tie policy.

Make one DR "Formal" and one casual. What IS the big deal.

The tux crowd gets what they want and the casual crowd gets what they want.

And by the way before the flamers get a flamin' I wear a suit and tie shirt, etc. for all formal nights.

[quote name='suziescruzin']Actually I was refering to the fact that there is an alternative dining venue. The buffet is a great choice for those who choose not to dress up.[/quote]

And you will be nice and bring me my lobster tail and prime rib for me to the buffet.:)

:D [quote name='WeLuvVacation']And you will be nice and bring me my lobster tail and prime rib for me to the buffet.:)[/quote] YES AND AFTER FORMAL NIGHT HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU SEE THESE FASHON PEOPLE PUSHING AND :p IN THE BUFFET LINES!!!:p :p

Archived