upper level/volendam dining room. Table-for-two recommendation

mafig

Does anyone have a favorite table for two on Volendam's upper level?

I'll be calling Ship Services tomorrow. The tables by the railing look good. Any others that you'd recommend? Any to stay away from!?

Are they tiny, or is the picture in HA's brochure (lower level) a good representative of size?

Hi, we just about always request a table for 2 around the upper rail. The numbers are from 70-80, even numbers on the port side and odd numbers on the starboard. You get to see everything that is going on from these tables. When are you sailing?.......jean:cool:

You can get Ship Services to e-mail it to you. To give you a little more detail>>>>>

I would recommend the following 2 tops in this order from most preferred to less: 78 or 79, 76 or 77, 74 or 75, 72 or 73, 70 or 71.

Depending on your preference, the 70 and 71 tables are the first along the railing on each side and the closest to the music balcony. You do not have the feeling of as much openess but you are closest to the musicians.

Tables 27 and 26 are on the opposite sides of the waiter stations BUT face the glass doors looking out to sea.

The following 2 tops I would avoid because they backup to waiter stations. 45, 49, 44, 48. 61 and 60 back up against DOUBLE waiter stations.

There are other 2 tops but they are neither near the railing or near the windows and centered in the back half of the dining room. 55, 57, 59, 58, 54, 56

Just our little secret ;) Don't let her know that I told our little group but....

Dyanne Kessler

Ship Services Coordinator

ms Volendam

Phone 1-800-541-1576

fax 1-800-207-6099

E-mail: dkessler@hollandamerica.com ......

is an absolute ANGEL! I needed some specific information and not only did she get it taken care of for me but she e-mailed me a letter of confirmation.

Yes I am spoiled, but HAL does that to you.

Rob,

I have been on both of the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam and your table 77 on the Volendam is a very good selection. The V is more inimate then the Z or O. The only thing negative that I can say is that I do not particularly like the ceiling "design" overlooking the opening to the lower level. Unless it has been changed recently it is painted a flat black with unusual lighting in which several bulbs were burned out. However, I was usually looking at the wonderful food on my plate anyway or the views across to the musicians for it to not disturb my eating pleasure. :D

Hey there. I agree with the above. But you can't have 77 early late (8 PM). Already took! :-)

We always did the railing on the Zuiderdam so I am hoping this will be as nice. Looks like it should be.

Thanks for letting me know that I done good. Looking at the dining room layout it looked just like the Zuiderdam so I figured it should work well. The ceiling on the Zuiderdam is a little weird too. But on our first trip on the Z, the musicians played many nights but on our second trip, only 1 night. We were disappointed as the string trio on the Zuiderdam were fabulous.

We prefer a table for two. A table for 4 is dangerous if you don't like the other couple. 6 is OK but larger is a problem because someone always arrives late and the waiter usually gets a little ticked off. We have always found the service to be best at a 2. We also tend to try a couple of the entrees some nights and we prefer not to embarass ourselves. This is given that you enjoy the company of whom you are with! :-)

We were on the Explorer of the Seas and we ended up at a table for 10. We fought each night over the seating and the chair backs were so close to the neighboring tables that the wait staff could not make it between. Have you ever seen a fat waiter on these ships? And these skinny guys could not make it in between! And the conversation always seemed to center on "what did you do today?" And that was it.

Rob,

I understand what you mean about the table quandry. I am actually a sociable person but prefer to pick when and where I join in and dining with strangers is not my choice.

For my Volendam cruise in Dec/06 I have reserved table 80 for 8pm upper dining for the three of us. It is a four top but they are not assigning anyone else to our table unless a ship officer might like to join in a night or so.

You can get Ship Services to e-mail it to you. To give you a little more detail>>>>>

I would recommend the following 2 tops in this order from most preferred to less: 78 or 79, 76 or 77, 74 or 75, 72 or 73, 70 or 71.

Depending on your preference, the 70 and 71 tables are the first along the railing on each side and the closest to the music balcony. You do not have the feeling of as much openess but you are closest to the musicians.

Tables 27 and 26 are on the opposite sides of the waiter stations BUT face the glass doors looking out to sea.

The following 2 tops I would avoid because they backup to waiter stations. 45, 49, 44, 48. 61 and 60 back up against DOUBLE waiter stations.

There are other 2 tops but they are neither near the railing or near the windows and centered in the back half of the dining room. 55, 57, 59, 58, 54, 56

Steve,

When we sailed the Volendam, we e-mailed our request for the closest table for two, upper level, by the window. We were given #45 and it was awesome.

We weren't right against the window but the tables for 6 by the windows were staggered so we had a great view from our table!

The serving table is set up higher from the table....more like a wall really, so we weren't disturbed by it. Also there is a support column between the table and the serving table. So personally I would reccommend table 45 or 44 if you will be eating during daylight hours for the wonderful view!

I do agree with you about 48 and 49.....the serving table blocks the view out the window!

The tables by the railing you mentioned are excellent with wonderful views over the Dining Room. But you know me and my view of the scenery windows. :)

Sean,

You make an excellent point about 44 and 45. I had my blinders on and was thinking about my winter cruises. From 5:00 on it is dark and makes no difference in the window views. Now if I cruise during the summer then the window views become very important to me.

Steve,

When we sailed the Volendam, we e-mailed our request for the closest table for two, upper level, by the window. We were given #45 and it was awesome.

We weren't right against the window but the tables for 6 by the windows were staggered so we had a great view from our table!

The serving table is set up higher from the table....more like a wall really, so we weren't disturbed by it. Also there is a support column between the table and the serving table. So personally I would reccommend table 45 or 44 if you will be eating during daylight hours for the wonderful view!

I do agree with you about 48 and 49.....the serving table blocks the view out the window!

The tables by the railing you mentioned are excellent with wonderful views over the Dining Room. But you know me and my view of the scenery windows. :)

Seconds to the Bravo for Diane Kessler! She's the best! She took wonderful care of us, made the table reservation as requested and e-mailed a confirming letter. Note: It appears that she may not be available at present. See her e-mail (below)

My office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Pacific time.

Please be advised, Jody Legg is now handling coordination of the ms Volendam. She can be reached by email at jlegg@hollandamerica.com and her office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Pacific time.

For assistance with a Ship Services matter during normal business hours, please call 1-800-541-1576. A Ship Services Representative will be able to assist you or direct your call to the appropriate Coordinator.

Best regards,

Dyanne R. Kessler

Key Accounts Representative

Holland America Line

email: dkessler@hollandamerica.com

fax: 206-270-6099

Just our little secret ;) Don't let her know that I told our little group but....

Dyanne Kessler

ms Volendam

Phone 1-800-541-1576

fax 1-800-207-6099

is an absolute ANGEL! I needed some specific information and not only did she get it taken care of for me but she e-mailed me a letter of confirmation.

I had a similar experience with Dyanne. She confirmed a table for 2 and sent me the menus, wine list, and spirits list for the Volendam, and was very accomodating on the phone. She was quite a nice breath of fresh air!

Yes, it's true. Jody is now the ship's coordinator for Volendam. I put in my table request with "Jerry" who said they would forward it to Jody, who I guess will forward it to the Matre'd.:eek:

Maybe I'll send a confirming e-mail to Jody.

Or maybe I'll just relax and stop overplanning.;) :)

Must have just changed since my conformation letter is date 8/7/06 and signed by Dyanne. FYI - the coordinator has the decision making authority and does not need to discuss with ship personnel if 60 days or more in advance.

Yes, it's true. Jody is now the ship's coordinator for Volendam. I put in my table request with "Jerry" who said they would forward it to Jody, who I guess will forward it to the Matre'd.:eek:

Maybe I'll send a confirming e-mail to Jody.

Or maybe I'll just relax and stop overplanning.;) :)

Dyanne Kessler

ms Volendam

Phone 1-800-541-1576

fax 1-800-207-6099

Steve,

I wish the Ships Coordinator was as good on the Zaandam. I am having a heck of a time getting her to get back to me about a special dining request for my Mom.:(

Just some feedback...

We just got back from the Volendam yesterday, and wanted to let everyone know that Dyanne came through for us. We had Table 76, a table for 2 along the rail upstairs, just as she promised. It was an excellent location, and it was excellent customer service from Dyanne in procuring it for us.

Sean,

Did you ever get this worked out for you? isn't your cruise next week?

Steve,

I wish the Ships Coordinator was as good on the Zaandam. I am having a heck of a time getting her to get back to me about a special dining request for my Mom.:(

Thanks for the update.

Just some feedback...

We just got back from the Volendam yesterday, and wanted to let everyone know that Dyanne came through for us. We had Table 76, a table for 2 along the rail upstairs, just as she promised. It was an excellent location, and it was excellent customer service from Dyanne in procuring it for us.

We are cruising on the Zuiderdam 02/03/07. Does anyone know who we can contact to place a request for a table for two? My DH and I are sociable but this will be our 22nd anniversary and would really like the privacy. Thanks so much.

Archived