Duck Tape?

CatServants

From Wikipedia:

... Duct tape is also called 100mph Tape in the military, citing the urban legend that duct tape will maintain its adhesion when subjected to winds traveling at up to 100 miles per hour. ...

This isn't an urban legend! Back in my skydiving/flying days, we often used Duck/duct tape to hold (very important!) things together temporarily. I just got in trouble with my DW because she just learned she had been flying in a plane held together with Duck/duct tape......

Denise's DH (Randy)

With all due respect, you cut and pasted from my original post and left out the humorous part. This made me look stupid. I was making a JOKE- a pun. I don't need to be educated about DUCK/ DUCT tape. I am very well aware what it is. I was originally replying to Catservants and she got the joke.

Shelley

Hi,

I am really confused. What types of ducks are you trying to tape- mallards or the Donald kind?

I don't know what you would use DUCK tape for on a cruise ship. But, perhaps there are some uses for DUCT tape. Someone else could probably help you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Shelley

There, is that better? SORRY, I couldn't resist.

tbelian - I had always assumed the bungie (sp) cords recommended on packing lists weren't meant to repair broken (not that they ever break!) suitcases. I figured they were meant for 'wrist to balcony' action! Now, who can we get to try that FIRST?!?:D

Denise

Nah!, not for suitcases! I also found the bungies helpful when trying the vault off the balcony exercise while trying to check out the action on decks below .......:D

Nah!, not for suitcases! I also found the bungies helpful when trying the vault off the balcony exercise while trying to check out the action on decks below .......:D

tbelian:

Now how does that get scored - is it by the Official Olymics rules? And next time, remember to take pictures!!!:D:D:D

Denise

Please, if it is not too graphic, can someone explain to me how you use it as a bra. Sounds interesting & possibly useful for my upcoming cruise.

ps. Does it not hurt to get it off?:eek:

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa - As I can best remember - it was a trick we used to use before going on stage with backless costumes, I perferred NOT using it but was happy to assist others.

You 'stick' the tape at the 'sides', continue it 'under' keeping it 'tight' and 'supportive', and finish on the other 'side'. It could be done 'individually' as well...HOWEVER, you should know that you can purchase shaped items that do the trick at many stores.

It is sticky, itchy, leaves sticky residue, and has a bit of an 'ouch' factor when done with "Swan" (Duck/duct) Tape - see how much better "Swan Tape" sounds now?!:) I imagine the shaped thingamabobs made for just this purpose leave no sticky residue and have little or no 'ouch' factor.

I'm sure others, on the board, or at an intimate apparels store could give you more details.

The men on this thread must be in abject misery by now!!! I know when I explained it to my husband the other night he was in absolute HORROR.

Good luck!!

Denise

" You 'stick' the tape at the 'sides', continue it 'under' keeping it 'tight' and 'supportive', and finish on the other 'side'. It could be done 'individually' as well...The men on this thread must be in abject misery by now!!! I know when I explained it to my husband the other night he was in absolute HORROR."

Actually, when I wanted to go jogging on deck and forgot my athletic supporter...

Actually, when I wanted to go jogging on deck and forgot my athletic supporter...

Talk about an "OUCH" Factor!!! I can't wait for my DH to read this! I can already see the squirming! You are brave to even pretend such a use!

Thanks - I actually got to laugh out loud with this one.:D

Denise

Where do you find all this stuff? You have so much info at your fingetips - amazing!

As for the outfits...innovative or just plain nuts?! And sitting, dancing, using the bathroom?!:eek:

I think "Swan Tape" works for the ladies, but I think more than a few men might not like Swan Tape - any ideas for what the gentleman's tape should be? I still like Shelley's idea of "Mallard Tape"; "Donald Tape" may irritate Disney or Donald Trump.;) You have a lot of ideas, KreinKrunker, what do you think?

Denise

Interestiung web site on the use of Duck v. Duct name and the general type and uses of tapes

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

I had no idea. The world is full of strange and interesting things!

Thanks for the info - I repeat my question - is there ANYTHING you guys DON'T know???:D

Denise

I was lucky enough to once hear Dr. Robert Thirske, a Canadian astronaut and physician speak at a conference. He was on a couple of Shuttle missions. On one of them he was studying the effects of weightlessness and exercise in space. After a few days in space, the belts which held the monitors for heart rate etc. no longer fit around their chests, but instead fit around their waists. Apparently, due to the lack of gravity, they had all grown taller. So, they lengthened the exerise suits by cutting the straps and joining the two ends with duct tape.

Shelley

I was lucky enough to once hear Dr. Robert Thirske, a Canadian astronaut and physician speak at a conference. He was on a couple of Shuttle missions. On one of them he was studying the effects of weightlessness and exercise in space. After a few days in space, the belts which held the monitors for heart rate etc. no longer fit around their chests, but instead fit around their waists. Apparently, due to the lack of gravity, they had all grown taller. So, they lengthened the exerise suits by cutting the straps and joining the two ends with duct tape.

Shelley

They actually grew taller without gravity? COOL!!! Now if only I (and my scale) could get up there!;)

OK, Shelley, you answered my question - the members of the CC Message Boards DO know everything - and duct/Duck/Swan/Mallard Tape is the worlds (and probably outerspace's) most useful item!

I hope you don't mind my 'stealing' your idea regarding '"Mallard Tape" for men' (it's beginning to sound like a commercial!) - unless, of course, you have a better idea! I happily defer to anyone who attends conferences where the guest lecturer is an astronaut/physician! I hope my DH doesn't see this - he has a Phd in Nuclear Engineering and I don't think he would say I defer to him.:D

Thanks again - so much interesting info AND so much FUN!!!

Denise

This thread has been hilarious! Thank you all.

I love Swan tape (incidentally, the male swan is called the cob -- which I always thought was corn-y -- and the female is called the pen -- she must write -- or is it 'be right' -- a lot).

Aside from Red Green, the person I knew who used Duck/Duct tape the most was born in Quebec and his surname was Allard, so Mallard (M. Allard) tape -- as the male counterpart to Swan tape -- works for me.

bandit0000: Thank you for asking your question. I could never figure out how 'Swan' tape helped w/ backless dresses. When I was very young my cousin once talked about using 'tape' instead of a bra. I realize now the 'word picture' created in my child's mind was erroneous.

Denise: Thank you for explaining the procedure. Up until now, I thought that the sticky side of the tape was applied to the dress material, for modesty's sake. I never thought of it as being used for support. (Although my cousin wasn't particularly *endowed* in the upper torso, so support was never really an issue). This board is a great learning opportunity. :D

BTW, Denise, I was, until recently, owned by a cat, too. Despite all my efforts to prevent, my luggage was somehow always inspected (before being packed) by my very light-haired feline friend, who, of course, rubbed her back against all the inside corners of the luggage. Airlines started reducing the weight allowed for luggage and I had to pack less. As a result the lint remover roller was tossed, the masking tape was tossed and I ended up using Swan tape to remove the cat hair from my black velvet skirt on formal night.

This is a true story.

I had ordered black stockings (for formal night) from Hanes Outlet, (because I wanted/needed the control-top feature to go with my dress...) "sandal foot" which is exactly what the package said...I opened the package of "sandal foot" stockings on formal night to wear with my open toe shoes and...and was horrified to find that the stockings had reinforced toes, NOT the "sandal foot" that I had ordered...so I whipped out the duct tape and pulled the reinforced-toe part of the stocking under my foot and taped it down...worked like a charm!

Never leave home without your duct tape!

Hi everyone: Sorry I've been gone - dinner party Sat nite meant busy ALL day Fri AND Sat! Now I'm back in the swing - OK, I'm Sort Of back in the swing of things.

Let's see, so much new info and so many new friends...

dkjretired - The Duct Tape Guys? Astonishing! So many people seem to do so much one simple item. SEVEN BOOKS?!?:eek: Possibly the worlds 'handiest' item. I'm trying to find a 'flat' of Swan (Duck) Tape - much easier to pack than a roll.

Alex_Drew - Nice Save!:p But I have to admit I try to avoid stockings if possible and I consider a cruise an excellent place to avoid them...of course, then there's the constant leg shaving, and NO tummy control... Maybe stockings ARE a great idea, particularly since my cruise on 16 Sep is to Alaska. A nice added bit of warmth without the razor nicks!

KreinKrunker - :DApollo 13? Really? Additional proof that Swan/Mallard Tape is the handiest item in outerspace! I'll have to watch the DVD again! And you have to tell me - Where Do You Find These Web Sites?! They're great! Some of those clothes are actually NICE!?! I didn't have that kind of artistry and ingenuity in high school, did you? Then again, my prom dresses were soft, almost comfy (tight!), and fairly simple in the restroom.

Offtune Angel - Cob/pen and Mr. Allard - EXCELLENT! Or we could go with "Drake Tape"...but maybe we should take your Mr. Allard as a sign and stick with "Mallard Tape" - an idea which I stole from Shelley, another CC member with a great sense of humor. As for the 'Cat in the Case' - I have 3 LONGHAIR cats...there are NO safe clothes! The two females (Sunkist and Whiney) ignore the suitcases but our male (Rojo) knows exactly what they mean. He climbs in, and, let's say, 'protests' the situation, vocally, and sometimes, with an occasional swat, thankfully with sheathed claws (otherwise, I suppose a little 'Mallard Tape' on the paws could save me!). We have lint brushes all over the house, but have never taken one on a trip - no outfit is properly accessorized without cat/dog/bird/baby/croccodile...fur/feathers/drool...!!! Life happens!:D Now if we're ever on a cruise together you'll know how to recognize me - I wear a lot of black and am usually covered, ahem, 'accessorized' with red, orange, grey, and white cat fur! However, with my new handy, dandy Swan Tape flat - that I still have to buy - I'll probably only have fur where I can't reach!

Take care - I love fun and informative threads!

Denise

Here's soomething to think about:

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only need two tools:

WD-40 and Duct Tape.* If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. *If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. *When all else fails, toss down a good shot of whiskey and take a nap.

Shelley

Here's soomething to think about:

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only need two tools:

WD-40 and Duct Tape.* If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. *If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape. *When all else fails, toss down a good shot of whiskey and take a nap.

Shelley

Shelley - Excellent!!!:D:D:D My father used to swear by ALL your rules...except he liked brandy!;)

Denise

I don't have any good ideas to add - but have to say thanks for the education and entertainment ! this thread is my favourite (or a close tie for first place with food threads !) - and as I read from my recliner (my back is out:( ) it is making me laugh (which hurts) My back/hips could use a good shot of WD-40 - as I suggested yesterday to my phsiotherapist - so, in absence of that - I'll go for the shot of whiskey and take a nap !!!!:D

(for the record : I don't think I'd want to use DT for a bra - OUCH !!!!!)

Archived