Is it bad manners?

I'm quite sure that if you speak to your waitstaff the first night, they can have something appropriate available for your little one (and on the table) when you walk into the dining room. When we've been out with our grandchildren, their parents often ask for a few french fries for the kids as soon as we sit down and they immediately order a grilled cheese or mac and cheese, etc.

I think if I live to be 100, I'll never understand some people. If anyone at your table is unhappy with your situation, THEY also have the option of moving. Stand your ground and enjoy your trip with your little one. They grow up too fast to worry about other people's nonsense. You've already said that you are prepared to take the baby out of the dining room if she gets too antsy. That should be enough to satisfy anyone.

I'd be grateful if you started early, b/c I hope that would mean you left earlier. IMO, a 20 month old doesn't belong at a formal dining table. I know this will be unpopular and people will freak out.

Personally, I like you Patrick, so I won't touch this statement. :p :D

I agree with the poster who said that this will probably not be a problem for other cruisers because RCI does seem to do a good job of matching dining demographics. At least they always have with us.

When we took our first cruise, it was our 25th wedding anniversary and we were traveling with good friends celebrating their 20th. We were seating with another couple who were also celebrating 25 years.

Next cruise we took our 2 teens and were seated with another family with one teen and one child 11 years old.

Then I traveled one time with best friend as birthday celebration for a "girls weekend" and we were placed with an eclectic mix of adults.

Twice we have been seated with people from M&M - once when we took teens and again were seated with a family and once it was just DH and I and we were seated with a couple that we met and liked on M&M. Neither times were these pairings planned.

So the chances are good this family will be seated with another family with young children........:)

last year we dined at the early seating with a 11 month old, waiter had a bowl of fresh fruit waiting at the table just for the little one before we got there, between all the servers and head wait, he was kept very occupied, we dined, had a great dinner. On the one occasion he was tired and cranky one of his parents took him out of the room until he quieted down

As someone in the public safety field, while I know some will recommend an in room baby sitting service, if your child is not able to comunicate with you and fully verbalize actions that are done to him/her please use extreme caution when deciding to use this service.

I would rather inconvience my tablemates by serving my child on his schedule than to worry that I may have placed my child with someone I do not know in an isolated area. While Im sure the cruiselines take precautions with their employees.. situations happens that they cannot control 100 percent

I for one would share a table with you and your little one without a word of complaint to keep your child safe and for you to enjoy the cruise that you are in fact paying for. Children are just little people who also enjoy interaction with others. If others objected to your child being there, they could find alternative dining arrangements and you would know your child is safe.

Personally, I like you Patrick, so I won't touch this statement. :p :D

Thank you for being nice and giving me a pass! :) I just don't like kids; but I'll be the first one to admit it. I would never have an issue with the OP, b/c I would've asked the maitre d' to move me to a different table the first night (in a nice, discreet way, of course). That way everyone can enjoy dinner the way they like.

I think you should have your daughter served however it is convenient for you and explain to your table mates on the first night. I really do think anyone with any class would not take issue with that. If you get malcontent table mates, then ask to be moved for the rest of the cruise.

I absolutely agree with this.

OP - I would welcome your solution if you were at my table. In fact, I'd be grateful. Thank you for being such a thoughtful fellow-cruiser. The fact that you even asked this question tells me all I need to know about you. You (and your family) are welcome at my table any time!

Please do not flame me on this. If I were at a table with a 20 month old I would ask to be moved to a differant table. I feel that infants (up to 2 yrs old) do not belong in the dining room. The windjammer or room service should be fine. Sorry, this is just how I feel.

Well, I feel that young children don't belong at my dining table. ;)

Seriously, I don't think there would be anything wrong with not wanting to dine with children when you are traveling as an adult party. Most people (wanting an adult cruise meal) look forward to a leisurely 2 hour meal with lots of lively and interesting adult conversation. Having your tablemates rush through the meal while simutaneously tending to a potentially fretful toddler would put a kink in the experience.

It is not a flame to anyone. Just a matter of personal choice. Requesting another table would be a practical solution to allowing the family to enjoy their dining experience with their young child while allowing people who want an adult dining experience to achieve that also. :)

A win, win for everyone.

Please do not flame me on this. If I were at a table with a 20 month old I would ask to be moved to a differant table. I feel that infants (up to 2 yrs old) do not belong in the dining room. The windjammer or room service should be fine. Sorry, this is just how I feel.

Well, since you're not of the popular opinion on this thread, you should be flamed! ;) At least it appears that flaming by some is the order of the day when you express a differing opinion.

My dw and I prefer an adult setting for the evening meal also. I understand what it's like to have young ones with you as we have young grandchildren now, but I would ask to be moved if I had to spend my cruise dinners in the dining room with small children at the table.

Well, since you're not of the popular opinion on this thread, you should be flamed! ;) At least it appears that flaming by some is the order of the day when you express a differing opinion.

My dw and I prefer an adult setting for the evening meal also. I understand what it's like to have young ones with you as we have young grandchildren now, but I would ask to be moved if I had to spend my cruise dinners in the dining room with small children at the table.

Well, of course I have to disagree;) My four were taught from the beginning to sit up at a table, either in a regular chair or high chair, and eat with everyone else. They didn't interfere with the meal. Hence they also grew up eating whatever was on the table. My grandkids are pretty much the same - most of the time. We eat out often, and they sit up and eat whatever's there. I would enjoy having a little one, or more, at the table.

...and I also agree;), that if you don't like having children at the table, ask to be moved. Those who have the child should not have to move.

Fran in Toronto

I think RC does understand this concept--adults wanting adult conversations, etc--and in my experience, will seat people with similar situations together. I would not be offended if someone seated with my family-which includes young children-asked to be seated elsewhere. That is one of the reasons we request a small table when we bring the kids with us. We also do not want to feel obligated to engage in conversation when we need to be paying attention to our kids. I've found the dining room to be large enough and noisy enough that I've never noticed a child from another table acting up or melting down. Adults, however, have been another story. ;)

I believe everyone has the right to enjoy the cruise they want. They just have to understand they are sharing that cruise with several thousand other people, some are young and some are old and that's just life. As my 18 yo would say, peace out. :rolleyes:

I think RC does understand this concept--adults wanting adult conversations, etc--and in my experience, will seat people with similar situations together. I would not be offended if someone seated with my family-which includes young children-asked to be seated elsewhere. That is one of the reasons we request a small table when we bring the kids with us. We also do not want to feel obligated to engage in conversation when we need to be paying attention to our kids. I've found the dining room to be large enough and noisy enough that I've never noticed a child from another table acting up or melting down. Adults, however, have been another story. ;)

I believe everyone has the right to enjoy the cruise they want. They just have to understand they are sharing that cruise with several thousand other people, some are young and some are old and that's just life. As my 18 yo would say, peace out. :rolleyes:

I agree there is room for everyone. RCI has always matched us up really well with dining companions as I mentioned before - whether we traveled with our children or as strictly adults.

A note to the OP, remember that if your child needs to leave the dining room early, you don't need to be the one to take her every time; let your husband do it on alternate nights so that you can enjoy the entire meal, and maybe let the others in your group take a turn too :). Enjoy!

Guest allylaw

Hi...I'm new to RCCL but wanted to respond to the original post...while this may not actually be relevant to RCCL, I recently cruised with my husband and 7 year old on the Carnival Paradise...

I believe all lines group passengers at dinner demographically. We ended up at a table for 10. Our table mates were from a town within 40 miles of where we live (in Northern CA), with 3 kids. My son had a great time socializing with his new friends at the table, he was an absolute angel, and no one was offended that he received his Mac & Cheese ahead of our entrees. The conversation between the adults was lively and since we all were from the same geographical area we had lots to talk about. :D

If I were cruising with just my husband, we'd probably want to be with a table for adults. But OP, don't worry. You'll most likely be seated with an appropriate (and understanding) group of tablemates. There is no slight intended by my post to anyone who would prefer not to be seated with children--everyone is looking for their own cruise experience, and that can easily and painlessly achieved by just asking for a reassignment if the table assignment is not to one's preference.

I believe all lines group passengers at dinner demographically.

I think that is wishful thinking rather that fact on your part. There has never been any rhyme or reason to the tablemates I have been placed with. I have sat with the fossils, infants, Harley riders and Non English speaking. I have never had a bad time but to say they work hard to pair people up is just not true. In the unlikely event the cruise lines actually have a guy whose responsibility is this, he should be fired immediately.

It can take up to 2 hrs. in the dining room for dinner. I would request whatever makes you & your child feel more comfortable. If that means asking the waiter to be served first, I'm sure everyone else at the table can understand why. They should be thankful if it means your child is not fussy. Afterall, anyone who has children know little ones gets bored & restless after awhile. Have a great cruise!

Thanks again for your advice and helpful tips - stickers and entertaining toys already bought. We'll see who they sit us with I think - looks like they do a good job of match making - and explain the situation to our fellow diners if the private table is not an option. I appreciate some folks views that young children and formal dining do not mix, but then I will not upset their dinner as we will be leaving if and when she misbehaves. She had a rough start to life, so I'm sure she'll love getting dressed up and "going out" to dinner. Happy sailing!

Thanks again for your advice and helpful tips - stickers and entertaining toys already bought. We'll see who they sit us with I think - looks like they do a good job of match making - and explain the situation to our fellow diners if the private table is not an option. I appreciate some folks views that young children and formal dining do not mix, but then I will not upset their dinner as we will be leaving if and when she misbehaves. She had a rough start to life, so I'm sure she'll love getting dressed up and "going out" to dinner. Happy sailing!

Happy sailing to you too! I hope everything works out well for you.

My TA says RCI does endeavour to group people ...on our first cruise we had a mixed-race couple as tablemates - they, and we, were just about the only mixed race couples on the cruise.:)

On the recent cruise, we were with two other Canadians, and a couple from Hungary. I don't believe either of these groupings was accidental.

Fran in Toronto

Happy sailing to you too! I hope everything works out well for you.

My TA says RCI does endeavour to group people ...on our first cruise we had a mixed-race couple as tablemates - they, and we, were just about the only mixed race couples on the cruise.:)

On the recent cruise, we were with two other Canadians, and a couple from Hungary. I don't believe either of these groupings was accidental.

Fran in Toronto

How in the world did RCI know you were a mixed-race couple to seat you with another mixed-race couple?

I, like some others, have no clue as to the rhyme or reason for my table mates on most cruises, as there was very little in common as far as demographics.

We just returned on the Enchantment and our 3rd cruise with small children. They have always served the children first and typically they have their desserts while I'm still working on the entree. Then I could decide if one of us needed our dessert "to go" or if we could make it a bit longer. We had a party of 13 on our last cruise and they did tend to take everyone's order together once all people arrived but the children's apps and meals came very quickly. We had children ranging from 19 months to 10 years. One evening the youngest just was a little too tired for dinner and the head waiter brought her a scoop of ice cream as an appetizer! They were very accomodating to the children and understand their needs as well as the parents' need to try to have a nice meal or two. When things got too long, one of the adults took the kids out for a breath of fresh air as a break. We did have the kids try the Adventure Club one evening when they were doing dinner and that was a nice break for them (and us)!

On our first cruise, my youngest was 1 1/2 and we were seated with a very nice family with 2 pre-teen girls. They loved our kids and were basically like little baby-sitters during dinner. It worked out wonderfully and we enjoyed chatting with the parents.

Guest allylaw
I think that is wishful thinking rather that fact on your part. There has never been any rhyme or reason to the tablemates I have been placed with. I have sat with the fossils, infants, Harley riders and Non English speaking. I have never had a bad time but to say they work hard to pair people up is just not true. In the unlikely event the cruise lines actually have a guy whose responsibility is this, he should be fired immediately.

Maybe we've just been extraordinarily lucky...or, naiive, and just plain happy to be on the ship that we don't notice the minor nuisances of some social interactions...at any rate, we've never had a bad experience with table mates, and for us, we take the position that every person we meet in our travels is someone we can learn something from, even if the lesson is "don't worry, be happy"--plug to Bobby McFerrin, alum of my college alma mater---:D

To answer the original poster's question, I suggest going to the dining room upon embarkation and request that your party have a private table located near a convenient exit. Also inform them your exact reasons and concerns.

This arrangement will allow you to eat at whatever pace you desire and not have to be concerned if something is rude or "bad manners". It will also allow you to quickly exit the dining room if the need arises and will facilitate the easy use of a stroller as you won't have to navigate many tables to enter or exit. Depending on which ship you sail, if you have a multi-level dining room, you could request such a table on one of the higher level floors thus further reducing crowd traffic. The higher levels have less foot traffic since they are split and have a lower number of tables.

Enjoy your cruise!

Here here! Hopefully, that isn't the norm and differing opinions can continue to be respected and tolerated. ;)

Archived