Xsnobs - here is one for you!!

Joe_Antonelli

Just found this over on the Carnival board...

I have been in Rome in Late July and August. It was very difficult to find a business NOT open. The vacation worries you are all having are not valid.

The only thing we found was LESS TRAFFIC. You could actually cross the street without being run over.

ALL tourist attractions were open but were less crowded.

We wouldn't hesitate going back to Rome in the summer...BUT IT WAS HOT!

SUGGESTION: Go to the first McDonalds you see and get a tourist map of Rome. It was the best map we had. It also shows the location of ALL the McDonalds in the city. When you are walking and it's 90 degrees plus, you might want to walk on the street where the next McDonalds is so you can get a cold drink. McDonalds are ALL air conditioned and beer costs the same as sodas (cheap). It comes out of the tap next to the soda fountain.

Enjoy!!

Of course I replied with:

I don't want to start a flaming war but, why in the world would anyone travel all the way to Italy or any other world-wide destination and go to McDonalds?????? Isn't the point of traveling to experience different cultures?? Next thing you'll tell post is that you're disappointed you couldn't find a Walmart in Rome!! :rolleyes:

Ok, let the flaming begin!! :D

And you wonder why you are named XSNOBS? Say what you want about Wal-mart but the Walton family laughs every time they make a trip to the bank. Wonder what cruise line they use? I know they are welcome with Carnival, how about over here or doesn't their money spend as well with Celebrity?

I read that post twice and I think there was some good information in it. I've seen other refrences (Frommer's I think) that also say MacDonalds had a good street map of Rome.

Jumping in to get a good map or cheap beer is a far cry from simply going to a familiar place for fast food.

Let's not be too quick to reject a suggestion because it is an easy target. It then makes us easy targets as well. If DebBrown had read all the other posts on the topic, she would realize that XSNOBs are NOT what the name might imply. Given what she saw here, her reaction isn't much out of line.

Joe Antonelli

You are some trouble maker aren't you.

The person posting was being helpful . She found out that McDonalds offered very good tour maps and wanted to pass that on .

She also said that that was a good place to get a cold drink on a hot day. Again very nice of her to suggest. She certainly didn't mention she dined there.

To be honest if I was in a foreign city walking around on a hot day and needed a cold drink and didn't know my way around , I would appreciate seeing McDonalds

That person sounded very nice and it was good of her to share.

You made a Cuffone (I believe you know what that means seeing you are a fellow Italian) out of yourself by running over here and flaming her.

Ciao

Joe Antonelli

You are some trouble maker aren't you.

The person posting was being helpful . She found out that McDonalds offered very good tour maps and wanted to pass that on .

She also said that that was a good place to get a cold drink on a hot day. Again very nice of her to suggest. She certainly didn't mention she dined there.

To be honest if I was in a foreign city walking around on a hot day and needed a cold drink and didn't know my way around , I would appreciate seeing McDonalds

That person sounded very nice and it was good of her to share.

You made a Cuffone (I believe you know what that means seeing you are a fellow Italian) out of yourself by running over here and flaming her.

Ciao

VERY well said.....*shakes head*

Interestingly, when we toured the Mediterranean last year, we heard locals on more than one occasion, in more than one country, refer to McDonald's as "The American Embassy"!

I also heard that McD's and KFC were the best foreign places to find a clean western-style restroom. I was unable to personally verify that advice, however.

Obviously Joe hasn't been to Rome in August and being to the point of practically passing out from heat exhaustion. What I would have given to have an ice-cold coke and a good street map on my trek to the Coloseum.

Besides I know for a fact that Joe frequents the McDonalds in St. Maarten as soon as he gets there...in disguise of course! He's a nugget man.

Great picture! Looks just like you! Some of our group from last year is currently on the Millennium in the Med. I'm jealous.

Anyway -- back to the topic of McDonald's. It's fun to go to McDonald's in other countries just to see what they are serving. Just because it is McDonald's doesn't mean you are going to get the "American" McDonald's experience. The McDonald's in Tokyo serves green tea milkshakes.

P.S. I also eat Italian food in New York.....the Italian restaurants are pretty good here too!

Steve and Cindy

Maybe he should go over to the Seabourn or Slver Seas boards

Those peole would probably mistake him for a bell hop

(actually that wasn't nice ....... I apologize to the bellhops)

Has nothing to do with carnival or celebrity.

Has everything to do with your own safety.

Recently was part of a conversation where the discussion of visiting places like McDonalds in foreign countries was discussed. Someone who went to europe (an american) was strongly urged (by the europeans) to stay OUT of McDonalds type places. These have been identified as high risk places to be.

The advice would be to blend in like a local, not stick out like a sore thumb.

I probably should not have called him an A$$ and just kept my thoughts to myself.

I initially did not know what to take of the XSNOB club but after reading what Danno proposed, it does make sense and regardless of the line we choose to sail, we should all practice the common sense and courtesy this lays out. Joe however, while I beleive professing to believe in the Credo of the XSNOBs, himself broke 2 or 3 of the rules of decency, manners and courtesy (as I am fully aware I did as well by calling him an anatomical part - sorry I revoke my membership).

As for Silverseas and Seabourne - I am certain I won't be sailing there but mostly as I do not have the disposable income to sail there (and I am certain that Joe would endear himself as well to that board eventually)

SteveNCindy,

I also read the rules of being an member of XSNOBS

they were great rules. I agree with every one of them.

I know that people like Joe do not represent every Celebrity cruiser. I happen to know a lot of people personally who go on Celebrity all the time and they would have no use for someone like that.

The Italian Tourist office sent me a map of Rome...the Macdonald's map! So I guess it must be considered a good map.

Lots of young locals and travellers hang out at Macdonald's. It doesn't mean it's the only place that they eat.

When one of my kids was very young, he had to have "his Macdonald's fix" once a week. When I would take him I noticed many local Moms with their little kids.

I also heard that McD's and KFC were the best foreign places to find a clean western-style restroom. I was unable to personally verify that advice' date=' however.[/quote']

This is the main reason we always look for McD's when we are walking around. I have found in many foreign cities, that the restrooms are decent and available. Sometimes it's hard to find a place to "powder your nose".:) My DH sits in the cool and has a coke while I check things out.:rolleyes:

Garry

Archived