HAL vs Celebrity quote from HAL board

C 2 C

I like to keep my cruising options open and "explore" some of the other cruise boards. One of the highly valued aspects we enjoy about Celebrity is the lack of announcements and unwanted intrusions. Here is a quote from a HAL poster.

I am currently on the Oosterdam right now with a group that I am coordinating. I'm glad that someone else noticed this change. I will be on the next sailing as well. Before I make any comments I want to make sure that it is understood that I am very pleased with the stellar job that James Deering and Jose (Steve) Esteves have done on board the Oosterdam.

However…

From the moment our group boarded the Oosterdam, as was stated previously by the OP, there has been a constant barrage of edgy contemporary pop rock playing in all of the public spaces. Everything from Bon Jovi, INXS, Mary Jane Girls, George Michael, Alanis Morrisette, Backstreet Boys, Green Day has been blaring through the pulbic speakers 24/7.

I spoke to Mr. Deering about the issue and he did what he could from his end, which sadly, meant really nothing. The issue that we have is with the new Entertainment Department at Holland America which has basically given the Oosterdam two choices for ambient music in the public spaces: (1) Hard Rock (2) Slightly softer Rock. According to what I was told, the channels offering Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Bennett etc no longer exists and the international soft/jazzy channel that was playing last January whilst I was aboard the Oosterdam doesn’t exist either. I am a bit perplexed by the lack of choices for seniors and people like the OP, but that is what the Entertainment Dept. has stated. In other words, I was told to quit complaining and just deal with it. The end result is that the Holland America Line product is *not* what I have promised to my customers that I am sailing with currently or that I have coming on board in the very near future. Simply stated, the current choice of ambient music is not indicative of a premium, refined, culturally sophisticated product. This change in on board music creates a completely different atmosphere: an atmosphere foreign to Holland America Line guests that were promised a “traditional cruise experience.”

A premium or five star cruise product should provide a clear distinction between the product in question and those lesser products she is compared to. Among those differences, general on board ambiance should be indicative of a premium product, *especially* if that product claims to be a premium product. If there is a lack of dissimilarity between the claimant five-star line and it’s apparent lesser competitors, then what is the true difference? Conversely, if when sailing the RCI 4 day product with one of my corporate or class reunion groups I encountered nothing but classical music and sentimental favorites from the 40’s, I would be equally perplexed. The RCI 3 and 4 day product packages itself as a loud, unsophisticated product suitable for those that want to experience a very edgy, non-traditional cruise (and actually, the ambient music played on board is parallel to what I have heard on board the Oosterdam this week) and lives up well to the promises I give to my clients. On the contrary, I would hope that HAL lives up to the branding of “traditional cruise experience” that it presently touts (Typed to the strains of Madonna’s “Vogue”). I was just talking to an older man next to me in the internet café. The gentleman stated “no matter where you go the music seems to follow you around.”

Go ahead and beat me up for making these comments if you feel I deserve it. I’m just a bit frustrated right now and apparently no one at HAL really cares.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409356

I wouldn't get too worked up over one person's experience on one ship...

I posted the link to indicate it is not one person's opinion. I kind of like to find places of calm upon the sea, not to have someone else's musical tastes imposed upon me.

HAL had always been my first choice of cruiseline prior to my repeated sailings on X. I still would like to go back but now I have to research the musical taste of the staff on board different classes of ships.

I'll be on HAL Zaandam in a couple of weeks, and I'll find out what they are playing. I'm 53, and I don't really want to hear Harry James, Tommy Dorsey and the Andrews Sisters. If the average age happens to be 85-110 yrs old, then perhaps some music from WWI or WWII would be appropriate. When sailing on the floating nursing homes of HAL, one must be tollerant.:) On the other hand, I'm not too fond of current contemporary pop/rock either. How about some basic easy listening music, like doctors office or elevator music? I'll probably be spending as much time as possible outdoors seeing the world in Alaska. Actually, no ambient music would suit me fine. If I really have to have tunes, I have a MP3 player.

BTW - The way that poster was talking (writing), you would think he or she was describing the Yachts of Seaborn, Crystal, or Raddison.

Ken

That is certainly not the music I would expect to hear on HAL. It would be more appropo for Carnival. HAL has always been perceived as for an older more refined crowd - not for the current rock n roll/alternative rock. I think she has the right to feel wronged!

Did the quoted poster wonder into the teen area by accident??? It sound like he is describing all the public areas.

while I enjoy rock and roll too, it would not be what I would expect to hear as background music on a cruise.

I really love dancing to big band music, and I have since I was a teen. Every cruise ship used to have a show lounge with a big band to listen and dance to. Maybe HAL doesn't think that music is contemporary enough, but I say it is timeless. Look at the continued success of Tony Bennet, and the popularity of Micheal Bouble!!!

I just read a complaint about the piped muzak on HAL ships a few minutes ago on another website, so it does indeed seem to be a problem.

I'm as happy to hear a good live performance as the next person--perhaps even more so. Anything from Brahms and Rachmaninov to the Great American Songbook to you name it... But why this manic need for muzak (of whatever variety) at all times & in all places?

Happily, I did not notice any such "ambient music" on board the Constellation last April-May. Instead, of course, there were bands & performers in some of the public rooms at certain hours--a very pleasant touch indeed. And concerts in the show theatre.

(And of course the ubiquitous karaoke nights in the Rendez-Vous Lounge, occasionally featuring Yours Truly doing his Sinatra impression with mixed success. That's something that really clears the room!;))

C2C: Yep, that's Michael Buble. He seems to be Canada's answer to Harry Connick Jr.

C2C: Yep, that's Michael Buble. He seems to be Canada's answer to Harry Connick Jr.

And again I hate to show my cultural limitations but who and who??

I had to look up his name on the following list but I would never reognize his music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_musicians

Actually I kind of like Micheal Buble.. He does a lot of sinatra, tony bennet type music. It seems that the trend is to revive some of the big band standards. Rod stewart is making a fortune with the american standards "Ironic" isn't it.:D I really don't like having one type of music pushed on me 24/7 no matter what the genre. Variety is the spice of life. I also have to say that background music of any type would not make or break a cruiseline for me! Perhaps Hals background music is a little louder. after all, after a certain age hearing isn't what it used to be.:eek: all that being said I am still considering a HAL cruise nest year because I like a longer cruise and don't like flying to the port. Celebrity has nothing that works for us in fall of '07

I had to look up his name on the following list but I would never reognize his music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_musicians

Now Arno, I can see I'm going to have to put some of Harry Connick Jr on my iPod for next year's Transatlantic for you to listen to.:) He's very good. I've heard a bit of Michael Buble. He's popular here too.

Phil

I just went to the wikipedia entry, and then clicked on the Buble sight (correct spelling this time). And it plays "Save the Last Dance for Me."

I am so ready to get out on the dance floor and cha-cha or rumba or what ever that song is!!! Great Music.

When I go figure skating with the adult group at our local rink, they bring his CD sometimes. It is also great for Ice Dancing!!!

And Hey did anybody see "Delovely". Allanis Morrisett sang Cole Porter's "Lets Do It, Let's Fall In Love" in that movie.

But it still baffles me as to why they would have rock and roll as the ambient music on HAL.

Don't feel bad--I have to confess I'd never heard of Michael Buble until I came across him by chance on PBS a few months ago. (My wife knew who he was, though.:))

But I'm sure you've probably seen Harry Connick Jr. at some point, even if you haven't heard him sing. He's an accomplished actor; he's had fairly substantial dramatic roles in a number of movies & on TV. Incidentally, for what it's worth, there was at least one song in a Connick arrangement on the karaoke song list on the Constellation this past spring. But I didn't attempt it--I know my limits.

(Hmmm... "Cruising with Connick on the Connie"--there's an idea for a theme cruise.)

On the topic of karaoke & Canadian singers--Note to all karaoke participants: Please, no more covers of Celine Dion singing "My Heart Will Go On." Celine & that song should be banned in all forms-- whether live, in karaoke versions, or as muzak!

I am so ready to get out on the dance floor and cha-cha or rumba or what ever that song is!!! Great Music.

When I was in grade school I was told to lip sync.

I don't know the complete words to any song!!:o

In music trivia I can name that song in three days.

I have now taken enough dance lessons on enough cruises that my feet finally move without any mental input except 1-2-3, 1-2-3;)

I just rceived this update on the HAL board:

C 2 C:

I have sent communications to Holland America for the past 10 days while aboard the Oosterdam. I am still on board the Oosterdam ( we arrive in Juneau tomorrow) with my second of two back to back groups that I have on board.

Here is where we are on this issue:

I had originally complained to Mr. Deering and to the Beverage Manager of the ship. Sadly, the Oosterdam currently only has 2 working DMX channels and the only choices are hard rock and a channel that has a mixture of Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, eighties stuff, Rick James, B52’s etc. Music is loudly playing in the Lido restaurant, lido pools, and 2nd and third deck public areas.

The first reply that I received back from the Entertainment Dept. in Seattle was “this is just one guy with a group that is complaining. No one else has complained so we are not changing anything.” Which led to me writing a lengthy email to HAL corporate and sales (which you have seen a small sampling of in my posts).

The email I sent HAL resulted in a reply that basically stated that “based on their demographic information, Holland America Line has purchased a DMX package that provides us with a sampling and variety of a very wide range in tastes of music.” This led to a secondly lengthy email from me and my subsequent posting on that a previous Oosterdam cruiser began last week. I received another email from HAL that basically states “we are looking into this but there will be no immediate changes.” (I have been writing this post to the strains of “Hey Now, You’re an Allstar” and “Let’s Get This Party Started”, and “Simply Irresistible” in the Internet café.) The response from HAL also included the statement “The more sophisticated musical tastes that you reference below are generally covered in the pre-dinner cocktail hour venues. Some of the afternoon and post dinner venues will also provide a good place for these tastes” and that “It is our decision that the most appropriate place and time for “middle of the road” music to be played, is the middle of the day around lunch time by the lido pool and buffet area” – which immediately leads me to ask, “which road are you traveling on? Where is the destination?” In my estimation, middle of the road is not pop rock 24/7. Also, telling folks that the only time that they are going to truly enjoy a traditional cruising enviroment is between 7pm and 11pm in the Explorers Lounge tells me that someone is greatly misunderstanding their loyal customer base.

Mr. Deering brought this subject up with several Mariners and Group Leaders in his office a few days ago and there was unanimous agreement from all present that the music in the public areas was inappropriate. Mr. Deering forwarded this on to HAL Corporate.

Sadly, the entertainment department at HAL has still done *nothing* to make a change. My current group is filled with Mariners and all are rather perplexed as to many of the changes in HAL since their last visit on HAL. Music was the #1 issue of irritation with my passengers - and then being allowed to wear shorts and jeans in the dining room coming in a close second.

At this point, I think the only way to have any sort of effectual change take place is to start bombarding HAL with emails, letters, and by letting your voice being heard on this subject on forums such as Cruise Critic. I can easily find myself in agreement with Host Doug in his assessment but I think that the majority of my passengers would accept a musical genre that is more fitting with the “premium cruising” moniker HAL has been touting. Either way, I don’t want to loose the HAL that so many of my customers (Who represent ages from across the spectrum) have come to appreciate and love. However, I don’t care for the “you’ll take it and you’ll like it” attitude that has been represented this week.

Pray for my attitude this next week with my customers. I really don’t want my irritation to show outwardly to the groups that I manage. The tough part comes when they complain to me about this issue: I have to really hold my opinion back and give the old “they are working on it” speech. Thankfully, some are working on this; I’m just not sure that anything is going to change.

At 44 years old I definitely know who Michael and Harry Are- two hunks IMHO.

Anyway that said, my understanding is taht HAL was trying to attract a younger cilentele as they need to start to replace those leaving from natural attrition.

At 44 and 50 respectively some of the music that you mention is what my husband and I listened to when we were younger and still like it. ( Madonna, Bon Jovi) We also like pop, classical, Heavy Metal , but draw the the line at WW11 music. Maybe the problem is that the volume needs to be turned down.

I rarely notice the background music whether on Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, RCL , NCL and we have tried them all. It should not be so loud that you really notice it so maybe it is a volume thing.

I am much less worried about music than food, service and the beauty of the ship.

At 44 years old I definitely know who Michael and Harry Are- two hunks IMHO.

I never saw the hunks on the radio.:rolleyes:...

I grew up with Elvis and Roy Orbinson et al and I never heard them on the ship loudspeakers... They always skip my generation... I don't even rate a letter .. gen-nobody...

I guess the complaint is as much about the volume as the choice.

If one is attracted by all the hype of company advertising then the company should deliver the product... ( I think I've read that somewhere before) .. I don't think you'll hear any of these artists on the soundtrack of cruise ads..

Archived