Dinner dining attire

Mack704

I've cruised 3 times on CCL, (never again, but that's another thread), 3 times on RCCL, and twice on X. Most recently CCL, this past March, and X, last October. Next month will be my first HAL cruise. I have become a dedicated CCer since earlier this year. Everything I've seen, heard or read, both on these boards and from all the cruise lines as to proper dress in the dining room for dinner is as follows:

Note: from a man's perspective:

Casual: collared shirt & slacks

Informal: jacket & tie

Formal: dark suit or tux

A couple of days ago I received my docs (YEA!) for my cruise Oct. 17.

In the pamphlet entitled "Know before you go", here's what HAL says now

Quoting:

Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops, and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido Restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours.

During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they're certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.)

It's been stated before on these boards that jeans were acceptable on casual nights - now I have it in writing! But...have any of you seen the note for formal evenings? Don't need a suit or tux? You're welcome to wear a jacket and tie?

It seems to me that the cruise lines are relaxing their dress standard recommendations. I agree with HAL's current suggestions for evening dinner dress. What other cruise guests wear in the dining room in no way enhances or detracts from my dining experience.

What do you think? :confused:

Personally as long as a person wears a jacket and tie and long pants to formal night they should not be refused service on any cruise line. Tuxes and dark suits are fine if that is what you packed but if all you have is a sports coat, tie and dress slacks then come to dinner and enjoy.

Glad to see that the cruise lines are getting smart about this.

Have a great next cruise.

What you read in the booklet as far as informal and formal nights go is not a recent change.

The standard for formal was lowered to include sport jacket w/ tie several years ago. The jacket/tie optional on informal night has been standard language also for a very long time.

Are you really out to cause yet another flaming war? he he he

Overall I agree with what you say because our documents last year said the same thing. However, the HAL crowd contains a large number of tradionalists like the Cunard crowd and anything outside of the first listing you posted is frowned about as just not being right. Bottom line, you got the rule book, you know what you are comfortable in and that should be it.

I agree with you 100% wwnfl91. A jacket, tie and nice shirt with a nice pair of slacks is okay in my books. Although I say this I just bought a tuxedo so just consider my arm being twisted.

Personally even with casual nights I still wouldn't wear jeans for dinner but would wear them around the ship during the day - although I never did on my first and only HAL cruise so far. Hope to have many more in the future though. We're looking at some possibilities.

I'm going on the QM2 later this year and funny enough but your original list - and what most HAL traditionalists prefer - is exactly what Cunard's brochures give as a dress code breakdown. Yet, over on that board, it seems like its the lowest acceptable by some. Egads! One can just never win the dress code battle anywhere!

David

What other cruise guests wear in the dining room in no way enhances or detracts from my dining experience.

What do you think? :confused:

I don't notice what other people are wearing unless it is apparent they put a lot of effort into it.

Earlier this week I was on the verge of spending , what, $100.00 on a tux rental for my upcoming cruise. I had done that a couple times before. Those times, our traveling companions were going to be wearing tuxes on the formal nights. So I thought it would be nicer if we all did. They're a bit uncomfortable and stuffy.

I prefer the coat, tie and slacks. I'm glad It's OK with HAL.

Do you think they would actually turn someone away from the dining room or a lounge who 's not dressed appropriately for the evenig? I've never seen or heard of it happening. Have you?

Harvey

Oh Geeze,

Here I go again opening myself up to flaming (note to self: remember to don the flameproof Kevlar vest):

Being of the feminine gender: on casual nights I usually wear something nice looking but, most importantly for me, definitely comfortable (no jeans - not at my age - trust me!). I really don't have a problem with anyone wearing jeans, although I think if you are going to wear them in the Dining Room then they should, at the very least, be clean and pressed.

For informal nights I'm very much "Country Club casual", since I have an awful lot of that kind of stuff in my wardrobe (okay, a lot of it is possibly at least 10+ years old but then I have always been one to buy "classic-style" clothing, it just works for me:) ).

On formal nights I dress to the nines, only because I have found some fabulous outfits on sale at ridiculously low prices, and I must admit that I do think I look pretty smashing, although maybe matronly but hey I'm a Grandma:D.

If you, Mack 704, happened to be to be one of my dinner companions on a cruise and on formal nights simply showed up wearing a jacket and tie (I'm assuming that your nether regions would also be suitably clothed) then I would be far more interested in what your interests are and whether or not you are a great wit and/or great conversationalist, or maybe you are an eonophile and know a whole lot about wines, which I don't.

It is somewhat fun to get all dressed up for formal nights but honestly dinner is going to be so much more of a wonderful experience if one is seated with someone who is fun, interesting and entertaining, whether or not they remembered to bring their Tux. JMHO :D !

Valerie:)

Do you think they would actually turn someone away from the dining room or a lounge who 's not dressed appropriately for the evenig? I've never seen or heard of it happening. Have you?

No, I've never seen it, either. And more's the pity. I've seen some sights around the ship at night that I would rather not remember, but alas, cannot forget.

I change into something nice for dinner every night and would not consider changing afterward. I like to look nice. I want to look around and see everything looks nice. It makes for a pretty picture.

Yes, I want to have interesting, fun people to be with. But they can be nice, interesting, fun AND dressed.

Those are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Oh Geeze,

Here I go again opening myself up to flaming (note to self: remember to don the flameproof Kevlar vest):

Being of the feminine gender: on casual nights I usually wear something nice looking but, most importantly for me, definitely comfortable (no jeans - not at my age - trust me!). I really don't have a problem with anyone wearing jeans, although I think if you are going to wear them in the Dining Room then they should, at the very least, be clean and pressed.

For informal nights I'm very much "Country Club casual", since I have an awful lot of that kind of stuff in my wardrobe (okay, a lot of it is possibly at least 10+ years old but then I have always been one to buy "classic-style" clothing, it just works for me:) ).

On formal nights I dress to the nines, only because I have found some fabulous outfits on sale at ridiculously low prices, and I must admit that I do think I look pretty smashing, although maybe matronly but hey I'm a Grandma:D.

If you, Mack 704, happened to be to be one of my dinner companions on a cruise and on formal nights simply showed up wearing a jacket and tie (I'm assuming that your nether regions would also be suitably clothed) then I would be far more interested in what your interests are and whether or not you are a great wit and/or great conversationalist, or maybe you are an eonophile and know a whole lot about wines, which I don't.

It is somewhat fun to get all dressed up for formal nights but honestly dinner is going to be so much more of a wonderful experience if one is seated with someone who is fun, interesting and entertaining, whether or not they remembered to bring their Tux. JMHO :D !

Valerie:)

Valerie,

I appreciate your take on this and wish more people didn't fuss over it so much. It's amazing how so many people let what other people do bother them SO much! For formal nights I wear a coat and tie to dinner. I live in Tampa, it's HOT here. I do own a great suit, but it's shrunk :) .

Is it for real that even on the Lido deck there are no T-shirts in the evening?

Happy Cruising!

...Glad to see that the cruise lines are getting smart about this....

I have been sailing with HAL since the mid 80s, when it was truly Holland America. Although I am still a loyal Mariner, I feel that all things have gone down hill since Carnival took over.

One of my pet peeves is the "relaxed" dress code in order to attract new younger clients and those who do not care about traditional cruising.

I realize I maybe in the minority, but feel that most long time Mariners feel the same.

Let the Flames begin :mad: .

hHEY I DONT OWN A TUX AND WONT WASTE 100 DALLORS TO RENT ONE . I HAVE SVERAL NICE SUITS AND JACKETS THAT I FELL ARE JUST FINE. I MAYBE THE YOUNGER CROWD TO YOU BUT OVER THE HIL TO SOME. SO I JUST ENJOY AND LET OTHERS DO AS THEY PLEASE. I GUESS I WILL GO UP IN FLAMES!!!!!

Valerie' date='

I appreciate your take on this and wish more people didn't fuss over it so much. It's amazing how so many people let what other people do bother them SO much! For formal nights I wear a coat and tie to dinner. I live in Tampa, it's HOT here. I do own a great suit, but it's shrunk :) .

Happy Cruising![/quote']

Hey Hojo;

That great HAL book, Know before you go, that came with the docs says:

Quote: "T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours."

I'd still bet one would not be refused entry or get ushered out of the Lido if un-appropriately dressed.

Harvey

The dress codes on board are there because they help to generate an atmosphere of comfort and luxury and especially in the dining room because they add to the elegance of the room. Why? Because it is 'eye candy' and makes us feel content and happy.

The ONLY reason we should all adhere to the dress code is to respect our fellow passengers. No, this does not mean that everyone should wear long gowns or a tux on formal night but it does mean a MINIMUM of a jacket and tie. And for informal nights... that same jacket and tie or jacket without tie will do.

If we keep lowering the standard of dress we will soon end up where anything is OK and the shorts and tank tops will become the norm.

Stephen

I have been sailing with HAL since the mid 80s, when it was truly Holland America. Although I am still a loyal Mariner, I feel that all things have gone down hill since Carnival took over.

One of my pet peeves is the "relaxed" dress code in order to attract new younger clients and those who do not care about traditional cruising.

I realize I maybe in the minority, but feel that most long time Mariners feel the same.

Let the Flames begin :mad: .

Formal nights are being challenged by passengers on all cruise lines.

It's a demographic thing and has nothing to do with CCL.

Are you really out to cause yet another flaming war? he he he

Overall I agree with what you say because our documents last year said the same thing. However, the HAL crowd contains a large number of tradionalists like the Cunard crowd and anything outside of the first listing you posted is frowned about as just not being right. Bottom line, you got the rule book, you know what you are comfortable in and that should be it.

I agree with you 100% wwnfl91. A jacket, tie and nice shirt with a nice pair of slacks is okay in my books. Although I say this I just bought a tuxedo so just consider my arm being twisted.

Personally even with casual nights I still wouldn't wear jeans for dinner but would wear them around the ship during the day - although I never did on my first and only HAL cruise so far. Hope to have many more in the future though. We're looking at some possibilities.

I'm going on the QM2 later this year and funny enough but your original list - and what most HAL traditionalists prefer - is exactly what Cunard's brochures give as a dress code breakdown. Yet, over on that board, it seems like its the lowest acceptable by some. Egads! One can just never win the dress code battle anywhere!

David

Don't know where you're dining on QM2, but we were walking into the

Queen's Grill behind two ladies in February when the maitre d', Raoul,

turned them away. He told them there was plenty of time for them to

change. I took a good look when they walked past me. They were

dressed in nice slacks, one lady in a tank top, the other with some kind of

top and a shawl. I didn't have the nerve to ask Raoul what their problem

was, because I was afraid he'd kick me out, too.

That's the first time I have ever seen that happen, on any cruise line.

I can think of many times I'd have liked to see it, though.

Valerie is my hero! I was also glad to hear from Mack that Hal's dining requirements are a little more laxed than some cruisers.

I hope that those of you who like to totally go for it on formal nights will take the positive attitude that the rest of us just make you look that much better!

It takes such an effort for me to make it through dinner in heels (I admit, I like the formal dress a little), that it never occured to me that some people expect you to keep the formal clothes on for activities afterwards. I always thought those were just the people who didn't take the time to go back to their room to change.

This is a vacation after all and a long evening of formal clothes when you aren't used to them can become a bit of a chore and downright uncomfortable.

I would never think of wearing jeans at dinner but perhaps when you see someone dressing a bit down keep in mind that they may have lost some luggage or had one of the infamous floods or other disasters in their rooms.

A lady at our church had to remove her foot from far down her throat after a snide comment about a family's dress, when she was informed that their house had burned the previous week.

Valerie' date='

Happy Cruising![/quote']

I too live in Tampa and have the same problem...most of my fine suits have also shrunk... do you think it is the cimate?!!!

Archived