Observations on formal night clothing on recent cruise 9/3

sgttami

Just had to let everyone know....

We just came back on 9/8 from the Explorer (RCI) 5 night to Bermuda, from Bayonne. I probably would never have paid attention to attire in the past but since I now spend more time on these boards and there is so much talk of what is right or wrong for formal night just thought I'd share what I saw:

For the MOST part, people were dressed nicely. There were some couples who were outstanding, dressed to the nines, in tuxes and gowns. Saw a lot more browns than blacks as far as ladies attire. One woman had on a gorgeous brown formal that I loved (and I really hate brown!!) There were dark suits for men and short cocktail dresses as well as some very nice silky type pants outfits for women. Some guys wore a blazer and dress pants w/shirt and tie. Some women had plain black dresses with sandals and nice jewelery. A few in military uniform and a few guys in kilts (they looked awesome) It was obvious that they all made an effort to look nice even if there were a few "velvets" and "whites after Labor Day"!! At the table next to us, all six wore jeans with their version of a "dressy top." Not horrendous but not formal.

At the captain's cocktail reception on FORMAL night:

Lime green spandex pants and a black and white crop top with silver platform sparkle heels on a woman that was VERY large.

A red jacket w/ parrots hanging from it, not embroidered but looked like stuffed animals, green cropped pants and shoes with goldfish in the heels..(fake, I guess like they were floating in some kind of gel!!)

A pale pink "butt cheek dress" that would have been very pretty if it were about 10 inches longer. Very pretty girl and great shape but when the wind blew, the cheeks were showin'!!

Powder blue leisure suit. The guy looked like he was stoned in a time warp. Even had the curly full head of 1976 hair..(he looked like all the guys at my sister's wedding in '76)

Beautiful couple, with outfits to die for and the woman was chomping on gum like a cow on cuds..totally ruined the beauty!

I don't want to sound like Hedda Hopper reporting from Hollywood but the variety in "formal" dress was..a variety.

I really don't think it matters what cruise line these people went on, I think the attire would have been the same...( I overheard the parrot lady say that she usually cruises on the QM and has been on 100 + cruises)...could have fooled me!!!

Next report....going on the same ship for the 9 day on 10/20!!!

Observations were just that....not criticisms for anyone's choice of dress..just like Mr. Blackwell!!

<snip> Just had to let everyone know....

Lime green spandex pants and a black and white crop top with silver platform sparkle heels on a woman that was VERY large.

A red jacket w/ parrots hanging from it, not embroidered but looked like stuffed animals, green cropped pants and shoes with goldfish in the heels..(fake, I guess like they were floating in some kind of gel!!) <snip>

I'm speechless. :eek:

Cindi

It sounds like some of the same people haved cruised on the same ships as us!

We do try not to be critical, but some of it is just so dang amusing!

There was a photo floating around this site a few years ago, of the atrium lobby of a ship on formal night. It was a room full of formally clad cruisers and one young man in a T shirt, shorts and unkempt hair. It was a perfect example of why it matters what you wear to these evenings, he stuck out like a sore arm, not just the thumb!

Thanks for the funny post!

OOOOOOOOO!!!:eek:

Some people.......:rolleyes:

Thank you for the full report and I will anxiously await the next!

Sounds like you had a great time regardless...and I hope you have a safe, healthy, fantastic yoyage on the next!!

We will be waiting...

Hmmm... maybe we have enought time to outfit you with a camera and mic like they do on the red carpets.....

" Good evening fellow fashionistas... this is _______ ,and I am live from Royal Caribbean's, Explorer Of The Seas!!

It is an interesting evening here, and I can assure you, the "wow" factor can be interpreted in many ways!!!...."

Hmmmm... I will think about that!!!:rolleyes: :D

Hmmm... maybe we have enought time to outfit you with a camera and mic like they do on the red carpets.....

" Good evening fellow fashionistas... this is _______ ,and I am live from Royal Caribbean's, Explorer Of The Seas!!

It is an interesting evening here, and I can assure you, the "wow" factor can be interpreted in many ways!!!...."

Hmmmm... I will think about that!!!:rolleyes: :D

Hmm, ideas for my next Live From thread. :D

A red jacket w/ parrots hanging from it, not embroidered but looked like stuffed animals, green cropped pants and shoes with goldfish in the heels..(fake, I guess like they were floating in some kind of gel!!)

!!

Geezusmaryandjoseph. Get a mirror. Quick!

The funny part is that we usually skip the captains cocktail reception but somehow just walked into it. As I said, I might glance at what people are wearing because I like to see nice things (and it gives me ideas!!)...And MOST were nicely dressed.

My BIL and husband had no idea that my sister and I we were "people watching"....and after we saw the parrot lady, my BIL innocently asked if there was a costume party on board!!...I thought my sister and I would lose it as we choked on our champagne.

I think the few "sights" that we saw really stood out because the majority wore the suggested dress for that night.

Now don't get me started on casual nights and pool attire...

(only kidding...I couldn't tell you what anyone had on but I'm curious to know what the parrot lady would have worn to the pool!!!)

It sounds like some of the same people haved cruised on the same ships as us!

We do try not to be critical, but some of it is just so dang amusing!

There was a photo floating around this site a few years ago, of the atrium lobby of a ship on formal night. It was a room full of formally clad cruisers and one young man in a T shirt, shorts and unkempt hair. It was a perfect example of why it matters what you wear to these evenings, he stuck out like a sore arm, not just the thumb!

Thanks for the funny post!

I'll see if I can find our picture from the Dawn Princess in 2003. Same thing-rooms full of formal attire. AND the gentleman in his pj's and robe from home. Either really rich, really a weirdo or a Hugh Hefner wannabe.

quote]

How did you keep a straight face?? I would have burst out laughing after picking my jaw up off the floor. Now, I love parrots. We own 8 at the moment, but I would never think of wearing them on my person....especially on formal night. I hope you got photos of this. You could make up an ugly album.:p

quote]

How did you keep a straight face?? I would have burst out laughing after picking my jaw up off the floor. Now, I love parrots. We own 8 at the moment, but I would never think of wearing them on my person....especially on formal night. I hope you got photos of this. You could make up an ugly album.:p

This was one of those trips where I never took my camera out of the bag but boy, I wish I did...the picture of the jacket w/ the stuffed parrots would have been priceless...we raise koi so I really do hope that the fish in the heels were FAKE!!

I'll have to remember..next time, take the camera on formal night!!

There was a thread awhile ago..."photos that never made the shredder"...the parrot lady would have won!!

Thanks for the report. What I'm always curious about, is....where do you get that kind of outfit? I mean, who sells a jacket w/parrots hanging from it? And the shoes w/goldfish IN the heels. Do you just google "shoes" "goldfish in heels" or what?

My next thought, was, she must not have flown to the port, given the ban on gel. :D

OMG, I hope she's not reading this. Truly, I'm just curious. :)

Thanks for the report. What I'm always curious about, is....where do you get that kind of outfit? I mean, who sells a jacket w/parrots hanging from it? And the shoes w/goldfish IN the heels. Do you just google "shoes" "goldfish in heels" or what?

My next thought, was, she must not have flown to the port, given the ban on gel. :D

OMG, I hope she's not reading this. Truly, I'm just curious. :)

If you can imagine the jacket...the hanging parrots were about the size of the old "beanie babies"..I never counted them but they pretty much filled up the whole jacket...

maybe she checked the shoes in luggage. God only knows..it was, hands down, a sight to see!!

If she is reading this...hopefully, she'll put the "birds' to rest!!!

Weren't there some fish in the heels of the shoes the guy was trying to buy from the eBay lady in the movie "40 year old virgin"? Or am I thinking of something else...?

I don't think I would necessarily judge someone by how they were dressed, but might burst out laughing if I saw a really funny outfit. To me, stuffed animals attached to clothing seems pretty funny ;)

Sassy Chassis, That's exactly what came to my mind :D , there was a young man who wanted them, they were boots. He said something like "I just want to buy these from you so I can go home and put them on". I've watched the film several times and I keep trying to remember to watch him in the final dance scene, to see if he has those boots on!

I absolutely adore seeing people who are dressed in an unusual way, the world would be a boring place if we all looked the same.

My boss is a crazy woman who will wear some weird clothes sometimes, she also wears some stunning things. It goes with her personality and I love her to death, we have some great laughs together. I'm the exact polar opposite of her, I am always in conservative clothes, but I have a sense of humor that matches hers.

I wasn't making any fun of her choices, I was just curious. I also wondered if her outfit fit the spirit & description of the formal dress code. Was the jacket paired with a full-length skirt or flowy cocktail dress? The goldfish in the heels certainly can be considered a sparkly accessory.

So I went back to the original post & found that the red jacket topped a pair of green cropped pants. While I adore eccentric, sounds to me more like a casual outfit. Just My Personal Opinion.

Now, what I'd like to know, but am SOOO not confrontational so would never ask, is her thought process. What made her decide that this was appropriate for formal, rather than casual night?

And these birds are the size of beanie babies? Later on the dance floor, everybody better watch out! Those birds might take flight :) :eek: :D (OK that was a little cheeky)

Actually..the woman reminded me of an old "Bette Davis" character...(facial)

To add...she was probably in her 70's..chain smoking and had that "old Hollywood look"....

She was very soft spoken when we overheard her say that she had been on a 100+ cruises!!

May have been charming as hell..but she looked like she just escaped from a NUT HOUSE!!..........

Oh well..if she was the only "loon " in 3000 passengers, I guess that's not a bad thing!!!

Unfortunatley, I could not see the pics from frankelcostume, so I did my own search for others like them. I did find these beauties:

pierresilber_1910_77385777

No fish or other animals involved, but can you imagine the hobbling involved in trying to wear these things :) Of course, I wear heels so infrequently, even a 3 inch heel makes me look like I'm playing dress-up!

Archived