Do you drink with dinner???

sgttami

I had posted on another thread that the couples we were seated with made a big deal that we ordered wine/drinks with dinner...and their first night comment was " YOU DRINK WITH DINNER??"(they were horrified!)

Since that trip 3 years ago, we only do a table for 2 and never went back to the dining room on that cruise..

On our most recent cruise (last week) we never ordered drinks or wine at dinner other than Portofino ..(we drank enough during the day!!) and in "being nosy"..we really never saw lots of folks drinking at dinner....

Just curious...."how many drink with dinner???"

Uh, oh...I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and often a mixed drink before or after dinner (sometimes both) when we're cruising; my DH doesn't drink at all. I guess they would have wondered how he could possibly stand to be married to such a lush.:D Oh the horror! I might have three drinks in a 24-hour period. OTOH, my DH says, "why not have an after dinner drink, we're cruising--you should live it up!" (And it's ever so nice to always have a DD.)

beachchick

Not long returned from Splendour of the Seas. sat at table for 10 although only 8 turned up after first night, 2 prefered to eat in Windjammer. All eight of us had drink at dinner, two couples had wine package others drank Lager wine and shorts. Great company and a good time was had by all.

We normally sit at a table for eight, and usually there will be at least one other couple besides us who will have wine with dinner every night. On several cruises we've had one couple who don't drink alcohol at all, but it's never been people who've made a fuss about others drinking. I hope we don't run into that!

Lisa

May I Bud in and give MHO. I am a single person. I will very occasionally have one drink at dinner. I was asked on one cruise the first night if I drink. I said sometimes. But I told them to enjoy themselfs. Then they told me they had bought several bottles of wine. On the thrid day of a 10 day cruise I ordered a bottle and it took 3 days to drink most of it and I still threw out the rest. They were shocked that I did not finish the bottle and that the staff would keep it for me. After that they said that they wanted their bottle kept. They thought you had to finish the bottle. They had talked to the Waiter and told him that they could keep the bottle after they had their two glasses per meal (bottle was empty by then in most cases).

They also started drinking only one glass each. By the end of the cruise they turned in a couple of bottles for a refund. They had been on a cruise, their first the year before and never knew. Now they said that I would be saving them about $100.00 - $200.00 per cruise as they ordered a bottle for each day. Now they would only need to order maybe 5 bottles. They said that this was much better.

One other thing, there are several religions that do not allow drinking of spirts at all. Also some customs of countries is that you do drink with meals (Frances was like that, I don't know if it is still the same). So I never inquire about your habit, I assume you know what you like, or can or can not do.

We always have some wine when we are out to dinner and will often have a martini before dinner is served. We don't drink much at home but love a couple of glasses of wine when we are out relaxing over a nice dinner.

I'm not an unpleasantly confrontational person but if I saw someone counting on their fingers as to how many drinks I'd had (and I knew it wasn't too many) I might have to acknowledge that they seem to be uncomfortable and would completely understand if they wanted to request to be assigned to another table :p

This next cruise will be the first time DH and I will be cruising alone and I'm now completely curious and slightly nervous about what our dinning experience will be. Most be seem to have a good one so I'm thinking positive.

We normally have our first drink of the day after lunch...maybe a Pina Colada or two, then if it's hot we'll have some beers in the afternoon, then maybe cocktail of the day before heading to the green place at the back of the boat where you can hit balls towards holes with sticks. Then we'll go lie in the sun with a beer or two before heading back to the...you know the room place where your clothes and beds live? There'll be some wine in the white cold thing beneath the TV and we'll have some of that. By this time our shorts/jeans will have been pulled on and we'll go into the magic glass room which takes you to the place where the Vikings live and they sell you beer and whisky and stuff. Now we're ready to eat so back into the magic glass room again and down to the eatie-place...last night there were 8 people at our thing where we sit, tonight there's just the two of us...some folks are weird....I bet that snobby-looking bitch who sat next to me didn't find it as funny as I did when I barfed in her chilled soup...hey! Anyone going on the Navigator in June next year want to share a table?

Alan

We drink with dinner and without.

I wouldn't let one bad experience stop you from enjoying dinner with others. It can be a lot of fun and you meet some interesting people - also it's not like they're your neighbors, you see them for seven days and quite likely never again, don't worry what they think.

I think if someone said that to me, I'd have asked if they wanted some.

Alan, no thanks. Your post was amusing, but I generally steer clear of drunks, too many mood swings.

I'm not a big drinker, but I love a glass or two of wine with dinner. If we're early enough (not likely) we'll go to the bar and have a cocktail before dinner. This is the main reason my DH enjoys having a drink in the cabin before we head out, he knows I won't be ready until dinner time. I'm not crazy for cocktails with dinner, but if a table mate ordered a drink, I'd not bat an eye.

I might have one drink or glass of wine a week at home, but when we're on vacation, there is a reason to celebrate!

If people shouldn't drink with dinner, why do I keep getting all these Food & Wine magazines at my house?

We'll drink at least a bottle of wine with dinner. We might even have a second :eek: ! Or a pre-dinner drink first such as a G&T, sometimes I'll have after dinner liquer too. We'll drink water whilst we're drinking the wine.

Never drink in the day though, unless I'm at a Wedding or something. Goes straight to my head!

I'm going to try not to do this on the cruise, well I guess I might slip one down!

May I Bud in and give MHO. I am a single person. I will very occasionally have one drink at dinner. I was asked on one cruise the first night if I drink. I said sometimes. But I told them to enjoy themselfs. Then they told me they had bought several bottles of wine. On the thrid day of a 10 day cruise I ordered a bottle and it took 3 days to drink most of it and I still threw out the rest. They were shocked that I did not finish the bottle and that the staff would keep it for me. After that they said that they wanted their bottle kept. They thought you had to finish the bottle. They had talked to the Waiter and told him that they could keep the bottle after they had their two glasses per meal (bottle was empty by then in most cases).

They also started drinking only one glass each. By the end of the cruise they turned in a couple of bottles for a refund. They had been on a cruise, their first the year before and never knew. Now they said that I would be saving them about $100.00 - $200.00 per cruise as they ordered a bottle for each day. Now they would only need to order maybe 5 bottles. They said that this was much better.

One other thing, there are several religions that do not allow drinking of spirts at all. Also some customs of countries is that you do drink with meals (Frances was like that, I don't know if it is still the same). So I never inquire about your habit, I assume you know what you like, or can or can not do.

My parents are from Italy. We were raised with wine at dinner everynight. Let me state I have never been drunk nor seen either of my parents that way. One or two glasses the max. My Father attended the Italian Air Force Academy, as a young cadet he did not drink. An officer saw him not drinking with his meal and gave him a warning, he stated that an Officer always has a glass of wine with his meal. I realize that was the early 50's but from then on my Father always had wine on the table. It is the custom in many European Countries. I realize many people here in the US don't drink but when on a cruise we need to accept others not verbalize disapproval. Also it show a lack of breeding and inexperience in meeting others different than yourself. Clearly these people never travel. I feel sorry for them.

We had people counting our drinks and using fingers to communicate how many we had to each other (if that was not to obvious) the first night on one cruise - well I excused myself to go to the mens room, spoke to the head waiter, and had out table re-assigned for the next night - can you beleive we had three cocktails in 1 1/2 hours - oh my god!!

You see...now...I just would not be able to let something like this go. I'd have to say something like, "Well, actually (hic) I think this is my fourth drink (hic), but iss ssoo hard to tell when you're seein' two of everythin'..." :p

Cheers!:D

On our last cruise we were at a table for 8, (myself and DH, a family of 4 and another couple). Most of the week only 3 of the family of 4 turned up. The other couple were Portuguese and dinner was too early. Anyway, we ordered a bottle of wine each night but the family only ever drank the water or coke.

They didn't say anything to us about having wine. At the end of the meal we were all offered coffee but we all turned it down. (I drink coffee in the mornings. It's tea in the afternoons - British you know...)

On the 4th or 5th night the father told us that they didn't drink alchol, tea or coffee on account of their religion. They had to eat and drink healthily and not have any caffeine:confused: . Don't know what they thought was in the coke!

What amused me about the whole thing was every night they ate steak and I don't think I saw a single vegetable pass their lips!

Back to the point, yes we drink with dinner. Even been known to have 2 bottles...

Karen

We order the wine package and have it every night, most times the others at our table do not order, who cares, we do our own thing and still have great conversation. On one cruise no one else had wine all week, we had 2 bottles

of wine left on our package on the last night, we offered to share with the table, they all joined in, LOL

Wow!!! (hic). A wine package (hic) every night. Sounds like my (hic) kinda party. I bet it was some (hic) conversation. Frankly, (hic) I'm surprised you were (hic) still (hic) standing (hic) let alone (hic) talking.

Must go (hic) need to pay a (hic) visit to the wee mans room unless anyone's (hic) got a bucket (hic, hic, hic, hic).

Oh Gawd!! sorry did'nt make it.

Normally we do not drink with dinner, we may have a pre-dinner drink in one of the lounges before going to the dining room...This time we will go to the concierge lounge pre dinner because we were upgraded to a Grand Suite on our Mariner cruise (can you tell I am excited:D )!!!! It has never bothered us if the folks we sat with ordered wine or drinks with dinner...

Addie: Yes you can use the coupon from the booklet in the dining room...

Later, Jill:cool:

We had people counting our drinks and using fingers to communicate how many we had to each other (if that was not to obvious) the first night on one cruise

Good thing you didn't have more than 10 drinks or they would have to have taken off their shoes to use their toes to keep count.....:rolleyes:

We normally have our first drink of the day after lunch...maybe a Pina Colada or two, then if it's hot we'll have some beers in the afternoon, then maybe cocktail of the day before heading to the green place at the back of the boat where you can hit balls towards holes with sticks. Then we'll go lie in the sun with a beer or two before heading back to the...you know the room place where your clothes and beds live? There'll be some wine in the white cold thing beneath the TV and we'll have some of that. By this time our shorts/jeans will have been pulled on and we'll go into the magic glass room which takes you to the place where the Vikings live and they sell you beer and whisky and stuff. Now we're ready to eat so back into the magic glass room again and down to the eatie-place...last night there were 8 people at our thing where we sit, tonight there's just the two of us...some folks are weird....I bet that snobby-looking bitch who sat next to me didn't find it as funny as I did when I barfed in her chilled soup...hey! Anyone going on the Navigator in June next year want to share a table?

Alan

Sorry Alan, but you went too far when you barfed in her soup. What a waste of a good bowl of soup. You should have barfed in her lap......:eek:

Archived