Do you drink with dinner???

sgttami

Will they have this champagne coctail on board the Monarch? The one mentioned with the rose flavored syrup?:rolleyes:

The only similar sounding cocktail that I can remember being served in the Champagne Bar is a Kir Royale -champagne and creme de cassis. They serve them in all the bars.

We have wine and champagne every night with dinner when cruising. My wife's champagne usually lasts several nights, but my wine has been known to last just one on many occasions. We have never been seated with people as rude as the ones the OP was seated with. I don't know what my reaction would be, but it would most probably be something pointed and sarcastic. I wolld give them the option of moving tables, if they declined, we would most certainly move.

DH and I drink in the morning if we feel like it, in the afternoon if we want too, in the evening if we get the urge...heck we may wake up in the middle of the night and have something...we are on vacation, on a cruise and have never been asked at the last minute to steer the ship so we feel safe in drinking when and where we desire...I'm sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable. As long as people don't become a disruption there is no reason to feel that you should modify your behavior. We have had some table mates that were such fun and some that are just people taking up the seat...If they're no fun we just have another drink and laugh about them when we get back to our cabin. :D

This thread does not shock me. Tolerance and good manners seems to have flown out the door in the name of speaking your mind. If one choses not to drink with supper fine, but you have no right to judge a person who does.

I once had a woman on a cruise try and put a show on for me in the buffet of all places. They were serving meat. How insensitive of the cruise line. That poor lady picked the wrong person for her display. I told her you know plants that give us fruits and veggies are living entities also. Just not as warm and fuzzy.

I'm so sorry to hear you got stuck with such BORES!!!! :eek: We had wine some nights and martinis some nights. ie. alcohol every night with

dinner :D . on your next cruise remember that you can and SHOULD ask to be moved to a different table. The cruise line wants you to be happy!

We usually have a Midori Sour or Kir Royale before dinner and carry it to dinner, then have wine with dinner. We usually have coffee or cappucino aftyer dinner, sometimes with alcohol. I would guess that this is similar to most people, but who knows?

We usually have a Midori Sour or Kir Royale before dinner and carry it to dinner, then have wine with dinner. We usually have coffee or cappucino aftyer dinner, sometimes with alcohol. I would guess that this is similar to most people, but who knows?

I'm glad for this thread! I now know what Kir Royale is, and am going to drink "lots" on my next cruise, in between the mojitos :eek: with dinner, before dinner, after dinner - whenever.

Fran in Toronto

On the 4th or 5th night the father told us that they didn't drink alchol, tea or coffee on account of their religion. They had to eat and drink healthily and not have any caffeine:confused: . Don't know what they thought was in the coke!

They sound like Mormons to me. The coke has caffeine in it...hence it's banishment. A friend of mine is an ex-Mormon (can't be gay and a Mormon) and while pretty much else has left his life, he still follows their dietary practices (I had to teach him how to use a corkscrew). He either doesn't know or ignores the fact that chocolate is chock full of caffeine because he is a complete chocoholic.

To answer the question, DH and I are ordering a 10 bottle package for our upcoming 9-night on Explorer. We figure that while some nights we will actually drink the same wine, he is much more of a white wine/food person and I am a red so we will often be ordering two bottles per night...one for he and one for me.

I hear u Fran!!! woooohoooooooo!!! have a good time :D

Done :D If only the ship would stop moving - I kept bumping and bruising my shoulders on the walls last time:eek::D

See the ticker below for how long the countdown is for the next cruise. I'll have to start on the mojitos before then........

Fran in Toronto

Too bad it spoiled everything else for you though. Don't give up on meeting strangers....it can be lots of fun. We've been on two cruises, sat down to dinner with total strangers, and all got up friends, still stay in touch. We all liked to drink with dinner, (and before, and after....:D) DH wouldn't consider it a vacation dinner without at least a gin and tonic, or a mojito!

Try again!

Fran in Toronto

These people didn't spoil our trip. We LOVE meeting new people and find that we all congregate in a bar somewhere on the ship during the journey!!

The one guy was just a total A$$.. He kept saying that he really wanted a soda but wouldn't pay for it..blah, blah...my husband even told him that he would buy him a soda!! He then went on about the fact that the cruises shouldn't make you pay for soda..on and on. We offered them wine and they still kept it up about "drinking."...and what a waste of money it was to spend your money on "that!!

Yes, it is vacation and I didn't want to be trapped into exchanging pleasantries with a bunch that we had nothing in common with. We met wonderful people on that trip...and did Chops, Portofino and windjammer for the rest of the cruise...no regrets on that end.

They really would have been horrified seeing us with our Bloody's in the AM, our beers at the beach, and a multitude of other drinks at various times throughout the day!!

And we tipped more than recommended even though we ate in the dining room one night...the A$$ said he didn't tip on cruises!!

I love a Long Island ice tea before dinner and one after, both while seated at the dinner table, my wife loves a little wine with her dinner, we have never sat at a table that didn't have someone drinking. If anyone was to say anything to me about it, I would politly say " I like it and I'm going to drink it".

Um Hmm, they have grape juice for holy communion. Like anyone would get intoxicated on one sip of wine.

Fortunately for me, I wasn't raised in that particular religion.

I'm more into the Blues Brothers Religion than the ChurchLady on SNL. And how about "The Church of What's Happening Now"?

They sound like Mormons to me. The coke has caffeine in it...hence it's banishment. A friend of mine is an ex-Mormon (can't be gay and a Mormon) and while pretty much else has left his life, he still follows their dietary practices (I had to teach him how to use a corkscrew). He either doesn't know or ignores the fact that chocolate is chock full of caffeine because he is a complete chocoholic.

LOL !!! Sorry Karina, please don't take it personally . . . but as the CC boards 'token Mormon,' I just have to point out that there is some serious misinformation going on here. If anybody actually wants to understand the practices and beliefs involved, I'd be happy to share, although this is probably not the appropriate forum for such a discussion.

Let me just mention a couple of key points, if I may. Coke and similar drinks are not forbidden, although many choose to avoid them. But FAR more importantly . . . never ever would I, or my family or my friends who share my beliefs, even DREAM of chastising perfect strangers for choosing to drink at dinner. DH and I just shared a table with four lovely people who, at various points in the week, all consumed alchohol in some form. We didn't bat an eye. For one thing it really doesn't concern us, besides which we try to follow a certain Teacher who suggested that we should 'love our neighbor as ourselves.' :)

Of course, there are also rude Mormons, just like you find in any religious, ethnic or cultural group. But I think that rude comments such as the one the OP described have a lot more to do with upbringing than with any sort of religious belief. Just my two cents. :)

I'm going to give Cruise Critics the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was a server problem or something.

In my family we call exaggerating "the gift of the gab". Some say it's storytelling. Guess that's why we have so many preachers in the family? A natural gift for communicating one's ideas?

Think I'll have a glass of wine and think about it.

Too many pages and posts to read the replies but first off, it is none of their business if you drink with dinner! I would have looked at them and said yes and I plan to drink more after dinner!

I dont drink with dinner only because I cannot consume much liquid while Im eating, I usually order tea and then never finish a glass. I dont care much for wine. I just wait until after dinner when I hit the club and then start making up for lost time!

I've seen lots of threads about alcohol. And this is off topic...but what IS a good pre-dinner cocktail? other than wine. And is there a good cocktail to have with dinner, other than wine. I'm strictly a whiskey or rum drinker and I'm feeling adventerous, I want to try something new.

image.php?u=21850&dateline=1092402016superjerryw user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_7766247", true);

Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumm

We normally have our first drink of the day after lunch...maybe a Pina Colada or two, then if it's hot we'll have some beers in the afternoon, then maybe cocktail of the day before heading to the green place at the back of the boat where you can hit balls towards holes with sticks. Then we'll go lie in the sun with a beer or two before heading back to the...you know the room place where your clothes and beds live? There'll be some wine in the white cold thing beneath the TV and we'll have some of that. By this time our shorts/jeans will have been pulled on and we'll go into the magic glass room which takes you to the place where the Vikings live and they sell you beer and whisky and stuff. Now we're ready to eat so back into the magic glass room again and down to the eatie-place...last night there were 8 people at our thing where we sit, tonight there's just the two of us...some folks are weird....I bet that snobby-looking bitch who sat next to me didn't find it as funny as I did when I barfed in her chilled soup...hey! Anyone going on the Navigator in June next year want to share a table?

Alan

Sorry Alan, but you went too far when you barfed in her soup. What a waste of a good bowl of soup. You should have barfed in her lap......:eek:

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

6,200 Posts Lost In the Conversion

You two are an absolute riot!!!! Funniest I have seen yet!:D

I had posted on another thread that the couples we were seated with made a big deal that we ordered wine/drinks with dinner...and their first night comment was " YOU DRINK WITH DINNER??"(they were horrified!)

Since that trip 3 years ago, we only do a table for 2 and never went back to the dining room on that cruise..

On our most recent cruise (last week) we never ordered drinks or wine at dinner other than Portofino ..(we drank enough during the day!!) and in "being nosy"..we really never saw lots of folks drinking at dinner....

Just curious...."how many drink with dinner???"

Holy crap! I would have been down right nasty to them. (Depending on how many drinks I already had with dinner :D )

1) How is it THEIR business?

2) Drinking with dinner - ESPECIALLY while on vacation, is pretty darn common

3) HOW IS IT THEIR BUSINESS?

Not only do we drink at dinner, but on our last cruise we shared our wine with others at the table. Each couple took it in turn to buy wine for the table (one night each), the couple who did not drink were quite happy with that, and we all had most enjoyable meals and conversation.

I felt that sharing at the table made us closer to our table companions and they felt like friends when we met them away from the dining room.

Like another poster, I would never let another couple's judgmental comments spoil my cruise, and I would probably challenge them on their choosing to judge our choices -- "You don't drink with dinner? That's fine with us, but if our choice bothers you, feel free to move to another table".

Archived