Do you drink with dinner???

sgttami

I've seen lots of threads about alcohol. And this is off topic...but what IS a good pre-dinner cocktail? other than wine. And is there a good cocktail to have with dinner, other than wine. I'm strictly a whiskey or rum drinker and I'm feeling adventerous, I want to try something new.

Wolf.................I'm sitting here.......it's just now coming up on 6 PM........and enjoying the last of my favorite martini! It's made from Ketel One vodka, on the rocks, dry (no vermouth)and slightly dirty, which means that there is a hint of olive juice.

However, if you are cruising with us.........your whiskey is in our room for you, but we prefer that all drinks be consumed in our cabin before leaving.

We normally have a cocktail party in our cabin, almost nightly, and by the time that it is over.......no one walks out with a drink.

If we dine in the main dining room..........we either stay with water, or on occasion will have wine.

Rick

I've seen lots of threads about alcohol. And this is off topic...but what IS a good pre-dinner cocktail? other than wine. And is there a good cocktail to have with dinner, other than wine. I'm strictly a whiskey or rum drinker and I'm feeling adventerous, I want to try something new.

A good pre-dinner drink is usually a vodka gimlet....pure vodka w/ a splash of lime juice!! OR

vodka w/ splash of cranberry (my favorite!!)

We have wine with dinner. DH likes white & I like red, so we get a bottle of each and the waiter will cork what we don't consume for the next night. On our last cruise we had dinner with a couple that was also red/white, so recorking was not an issue.

We have met several couples (in the bars, usually :D ) who have reported that their tablemates were horrified that they ordered wine with dinner. If there's room at our table, we manage to have them seated with us. Just call us the Wino Rescue League!

Jean..........why were we not invited to join you???:cool: Boy...........talk about being ousted!!:D

Just kidding!!:D

I definitely agree with you i want to sit at your table Patrick.

I would have just drank and if they didn't like it they would be the ones to not come back or they can go and sit somewhere else. I always have a glass of wine or cocktail before dinner, at dinner and after dinner, well not that much!

However, if you are cruising with us.........your whiskey is in our room for you, but we prefer that all drinks be consumed in our cabin before leaving.

Let's analyze this sentence. The possibilities are:

1. Please don't carry drinks out of the cabin - they charge us for missing glassware;

2. We prefer that you drink everything in the cabin before you leave, or

3. Drink, eat and be merry, but don't try to clamber onto the bridge from our balcony!

We normally have a cocktail party in our cabin, almost nightly, and by the time that it is over.......no one walks out with a drink.

Rick

No, they stumble!:D

Jean..........why were we not invited to join you???:cool: Boy...........talk about being ousted!!

But we let you back on the last night because you were a good boy!;)

LOL !!! Sorry Karina' date=' please don't take it personally . . . but as the CC boards 'token Mormon,' I just have to point out that there is some serious misinformation going on here. If anybody actually [b']wants[/b] to understand the practices and beliefs involved, I'd be happy to share, although this is probably not the appropriate forum for such a discussion.

Let me just mention a couple of key points, if I may. Coke and similar drinks are not forbidden, although many choose to avoid them. But FAR more importantly . . . never ever would I, or my family or my friends who share my beliefs, even DREAM of chastising perfect strangers for choosing to drink at dinner. DH and I just shared a table with four lovely people who, at various points in the week, all consumed alchohol in some form. We didn't bat an eye. For one thing it really doesn't concern us, besides which we try to follow a certain Teacher who suggested that we should 'love our neighbor as ourselves.' :)

Of course, there are also rude Mormons, just like you find in any religious, ethnic or cultural group. But I think that rude comments such as the one the OP described have a lot more to do with upbringing than with any sort of religious belief. Just my two cents. :)

Oh, I'm not going to take offense. My little town-with-delusions-of-grandeur has a sizeable Mormon population, including a number of tokens (my nephew dated one briefly). My friend's attitude amuses me...no caffeine except the chocolate.

But, the OP's oppressors are not the ones I was hypothesizing as Mormons..they came later in the thread and it sounded more like their proclivities turned up in conversation after a couple of days of sharing a table.

Wow. I think I would have told them that it seems that they don't "get out much". My DH rarely drinks. I enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner, and I like to try different drinks. When we had small children, the only time I felt that I could responsibly drink was when we were away from home and grandparentss were responsible for them. A good point was made by another.... you don't have to drive home when you're on a ship! As long as you aren't obnoxiously inebriated, it should not be of anyone else's concern if you drink at any time of the day or night. They don't have to pay the bill, and it has nothing to do with them. I think I would have changed tables as well, if they were the only other people at the table. You obviously were not going to have anything in common with these people if they were already commenting on your personal choices. Some people are so strange, and some have absolutely no sense of humor:p

wow...to the original poster...how sad. Only two words come to my mind for your bizarre tablemates "lighten up!"...LOL

We are all adults...we are on vacation...if we wish to order wine/drinks with dinner...so be it. If my tablemates would have an issue with me...I'd probably suggest they have several beverages so they can get what crawled up their a** out and enjoy themselves a little......:) (all in a nice manner, said with a smile) :)

to answer your question...we always have wine with dinner and coffe with dessert...

nuff said,

Esmerelda :)

If we had tablemates who were offended that we order a bottle of very nice wine (usually from the reserve list) EVERY night...then we would move tables.

It is so NOT appropriate to comment on what others do/do not drink (unless, of course, they were being obnoxious...which, we most definitely were not).

We've sat at tables with others who did not drink, and they did not blink an eye with our bottle of wine each evening for the two (or sometimes four) of us. They were lovely people and we enjoyed chatting with them.

Honestly, it's not their business to comment.

Sorry Alan, but you went too far when you barfed in her soup. What a waste of a good bowl of soup. You should have barfed in her lap......:eek:

Don't worry Jerry. The soup didn't go to waste. I'm not a big fan of chilled soup, but it was nice and warm by the time I'd...you know....the snooty lady for some reason didn't want it anymore, so I scoffed the lot!:p

Alan

Archived