Do you drink with dinner???

sgttami

I had posted on another thread that the couples we were seated with made a big deal that we ordered wine/drinks with dinner...and their first night comment was " YOU DRINK WITH DINNER??"(they were horrified!)

Since that trip 3 years ago, we only do a table for 2 and never went back to the dining room on that cruise..

On our most recent cruise (last week) we never ordered drinks or wine at dinner other than Portofino ..(we drank enough during the day!!) and in "being nosy"..we really never saw lots of folks drinking at dinner....

Just curious...."how many drink with dinner???"

I personally don't drink much with dinner because I find that alcohol doesn't quench my thirst. I have never sat at a table on a cruise that didn't have at least 2 bottles of wine being disposed of, though. My wife and I usually get the shot that is offered at the end of the meal as well. How anyone could be horrified that people drink at dinner is beyond me. They must have been Mormons ;).

Now that I think of it, one of the guys at our table on our last cruise made a habit of putting away a bucket of beer (6 pack) during dinner.

We had a bottle of wine each night. if we didn't finish it we poured the rest in our glass and left the dining room and strolled while finishing it. Who cares what others think--some like cocktails, others don't. its too bad that those who don't drink tend to make their opinions known, when those who do drink could care less what everyone else is doing.

I always have a glass or two of wine with dinner and on rare occasions, a scotch neat (usually not with the wine). My wife my have wine 20% of the time. But believe me, if I had someone making comments to me like they made to the OP, I'd drink about 4 glasses of wine plus several scotches with dinner and be sure to come back the next night to see if that other couple were still at OUR table.

I drink wine with dinner on every cruise. Heck, I frequently do that at home. I'm not drinking wine to quench my thirst (I drink lots of water to do that), but because I like the taste of wine. And sgttami, you can sit with me if we ever cruise together because I'm not going to be offended whether you drink or not.

Our group usually has a bottle of wine at dinner. It is that or a pre-dinner cocktail before we head to the dining room. I really don't worry too much about whether my tablemates approve or not and frankly have been fortunate enough to never have any that were offended. At least none that I was aware of!

:)

I think it just "freaked us out" because we had so many good experiences in cruising and these people made us out to be "alien alcoholics!!"...

Talk about horrified...on my first cruise I think we did 4 bottles of wine a night at dinner...for 7 of us!!

We have wine with dinner. DH likes white & I like red, so we get a bottle of each and the waiter will cork what we don't consume for the next night. On our last cruise we had dinner with a couple that was also red/white, so recorking was not an issue.

We have met several couples (in the bars, usually :D ) who have reported that their tablemates were horrified that they ordered wine with dinner. If there's room at our table, we manage to have them seated with us. Just call us the Wino Rescue League!

We have wine with dinner. DH likes white & I like red, so we get a bottle of each and the waiter will cork what we don't consume for the next night. On our last cruise we had dinner with a couple that was also red/white, so recorking was not an issue.

We have met several couples (in the bars, usually :D ) who have reported that their tablemates were horrified that they ordered wine with dinner. If there's room at our table, we manage to have them seated with us. Just call us the Wino Rescue League!

Jean, we really are going to have to cruise together!!

It was a weird group on that cruise and my husband and I just said.."that's it!! We're not doing a table of strangers ever again!!"

I have ordered drinks at dinner and see nothing wrong with it. This is just another reason why I no longer will sit with complete strangers on a cruise for dinner. It is either just my party or I will skip the dining room for the entire cruise. I can't believe that those folks had the gall to even comment about your having drinks. It is none of their business and I of course am the type to tell them and I would mince no words ;).

We had people counting our drinks and using fingers to communicate how many we had to each other (if that was not to obvious) the first night on one cruise - well I excused myself to go to the mens room, spoke to the head waiter, and had out table re-assigned for the next night - can you beleive we had three cocktails in 1 1/2 hours - oh my god!!

We had people counting our drinks and using fingers to communicate how many we had to each other (if that was not to obvious) the first night on one cruise - well I excused myself to go to the mens room, spoke to the head waiter, and had out table re-assigned for the next night - can you beleive we had three cocktails in 1 1/2 hours - oh my god!!

Oh, no. 3 cocktails in 1.5 hours.:eek: You're going straight to H E double hockey sticks for that one.:rolleyes: ;)

We order the wine package and have it every night, most times the others at our table do not order, who cares, we do our own thing and still have great conversation. On one cruise no one else had wine all week, we had 2 bottles

of wine left on our package on the last night, we offered to share with the table, they all joined in, LOL

Its odd that you mention this because about a year ago on our last cruise my wife and I ordered a wine and a beer and then a comment was made by someone at the table about how they don't drink. It was like, ok, why do you have to point that out? Everyone was nice though and it wasn't a big deal, it just reminded me of that and makes me wonder "whats it to them?"

Archived