Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I just won four rooms at the 4* Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver for two nights, Aug 27 and 28.

I bid $100 for downtown Vancouver and received a message that I could bid $22 more without changing anything in my bid. I did and won the Hyatt for $122, plus taxes, per night.

I just won four rooms at the 4* Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver for two nights, Aug 27 and 28.

I bid $100 for downtown Vancouver and received a message that I could bid $22 more without changing anything in my bid. I did and won the Hyatt for $122, plus taxes, per night.

Congrats! I went up to $120 with no response.

Hi Carmen

I was able to get a hotel up in Vancouver on Sep 1 for 1 night for $120. BUT I am on my 6th try for Sep 8th. It was not accepted for $120 for *4 or 115 for *3. I am not exactly sure what is going on during this weekend. The only thing that I could think of is that it is cruise session.

Keep trying. You are allowed to bid every 24 hours.

Jennifer

Date: July 4, 2007

Price: $107.00

# Rooms: 2

# Nights: 1

Subtotal: $214.00

Taxes/Fees: $ 33.70

Total: $247.70

First time bidder on Priceline. Bid $85-rejected. Added the recommended $22 and was accepted.

You got a great deal! Marriott's lowest price for that hotel on that night is $229.

For the next time with Priceline bidding, don't forget that when Priceline recommends that you raise your bid by, for example, $22, you can save about half the difference (from your original bid) by picking another area of the same city that offers no 4* hotels and then raise your original bid by about 1/2 or less of what PL is recommending (sometimes by raising as little as $2.00;) ). These are known as free rebids. The folks at www.betterbiddng.com or www.biddingfortravel.com can explain the procedure much better than I can -- although I've used it for at least 50 - 80 "won" nights through PL. Guess I've lived in Europe too long to still be in command of the english language:D

I went on biddingfortravel 1st to try and educate myself. I've now tried for almost a week for a 4 star in Long Beach for 10/19-21. Bid all the way up to 110, no acceptance. Even when I wait much more than 24 hours it tells me I have already bid on the same areas. I thought after 24 hours you start "clean". Can anyone explain this? Also, almost everything I've read on CC and the other travel websites seem to indicate I should be able to get a 4* in the area for 90. or less, and I have added the other 3 areas in a I try to rebid and raise each time. I even tried changing the dates to one night only to be able to get more rebids. I also created a second account in my husbands name using a different email and different credit card number, but it still gives me the same "you have bid this area before".

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Yup, try removing your cookies. This should remove the 24 hour limitations.

Rick

Is there a certain area you have to enter to be able to get this hotel? I am going to need 3 rooms in October and from what I have read these are really decent rates at a good hotel.

TIA

With Priceline, you are bidding for a star-rated hotel in a particular area instead of a specific hotel. But you choose the rating and area.

I bid on the San Pedro today and it did not just let me increase my bid. I tried clearing my cookies as mentioned. So I can get this right, when you guys bid for the Crowne, the amount you put in was 65.00 correct? Then the fees were added after your bid was accepted? I just need to get these booked and I want to be able to do it right tomorrow when I can rebid. I read all through the help site and could not figure it out. TIA!

Hi

Priceline can be confusing. Took me a while to figure it out. If you do not want to change the star rating, you must wait 24 hours before changing the price. If you want to change the location or the star-rating, you can rebid and change the price.

Another thing to consider is that it may have not been accepted because it is so far out. I am trying to bid on a hotel for Vancouver for Sept 8 and I have been 8 times with no luck. I was told by someone here that it may be too far out and the rooms are not released yet. I will try in a couple weeks again.

Also, it is not a guarentee that you will get crown. If your heart is set on the Crowne, then book it without priceline. You may get the crowne or you may get some other hotel. You pick the price and the hotel star rating and location, priceline picks the hotel.

Good luck. Once you get a hotel throug priceline, you will be hooked. I love getting 4 star hotels for half the price.

Jennifer

So I can get this right, when you guys bid for the Crowne, the amount you put in was 65.00 correct? Then the fees were added after your bid was accepted?

Yes, this is correct. Taxes and fees will be added after acceptance of your bid. This is all you will have to pay, unless your hotel has a 'resort fee', which will be billed at the hotel.

Since you are an Okie, and not a buckeye, I will give you a little help. The best advice I can give you is to go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com and study the website, both forwards and backwards. Next some quick advice for bidding tomorrow. Bid for a 3* hotel in San Pedro. If this is refused, Priceline will ask you to change something. When this is asked, add "Long Beach Airport Area", and bid again, with a higher dollar value. At present that area has no 3* or above hotels, since Priceline won't downgrade a certain star bid, you are safe by doing this. In effect it is a free rebid. But, this should be checked every time you bid, as hotels are always being added. This can be done in "Step 2", in the bidding process, by individually checking each available area for what star ratings are available there.

Good Luck! Remember that you may also get the DoubleTree in San Pedro, which is also a 3* that has been won on Priceline.

I always knew Priceline would not downgrade a star bid, but they certainly upgrade a half a star. I had been trying to bid for downtown vancouver for over 4 months to get a 3 star. I did not feel this was to early as last time I was in vancouver 2 years ago I had bid 10 months and got a 4 * downtown for $60, anyhow I finally got tired of bidding after I had bid up to $ 110 for a 3* for Sept 22nd so I decided i would try a 2 1/2 star, I had added those areas as they did not go above a 2 star well I ended up with a 3 star in Burnaby/Coquina area, so now have the cost to get to the port, first time I ever messed up with priceline, ogh well, live & learn

I had added those areas as they did not go above a 2 star well I ended up with a 3 star in Burnaby/Coquina area, so now have the cost to get to the port, first time I ever messed up with priceline, ogh well, live & learn

Mandrews2U,

I can’t tell whether or not you realize your mistake, but if not, here is why you got a 3* in an area you didn’t want.

The zone you added does go above a 2*. It has a 3* and that is why you got it. The only safe zones for you are Delta and Langley. The rule is not to add any zone that contains any rating at or above what you are bidding on.

You had 3 safe rebids available to you. If you used them without success, you would have had to wait 24 hours, then try again.

Jim

Thanks, I kinda figured I originally knew what I was doing as I ONLY evr added Langley & delta when I was trying for months then this particular night I was distracted, and I aded this other area, knowing I never had before but saw it didn't have a 2 1/2 so figured it was safe, I will NEVER bid on ANYTHING AGAIN WHEN ANYONE IS IN THE ROOM TALKING TO ME, HA,HA

1 night precruise 8/11, $65 (total $82.09) on Priceline. Rather than stay downtown for more and take 2 cabs (1 to hotel, 1 to pier), we will take a free shuttle to an airport hotel, then take cab to pier the following day. We will stay Downtown Seattle 3 days post cruise.

1 night precruise 8/11, $65 (total $82.09) on Priceline. Rather than stay downtown for more and take 2 cabs (1 to hotel, 1 to pier), we will take a free shuttle to an airport hotel, then take cab to pier the following day. We will stay Downtown Seattle 3 days post cruise.

Got the same price on Priceline as Gracee for the Doubletree on the same date.:)

Mel, I hear the Doubletree SEATAC is huge and I read a post or 2 (I think on tripadvisor.com) that they put the Priceline people in Siberia. Oh well, the cheapest non-refundable rate on Doubletree's website is about $130 including tax, so we are saving $50 and I could use the 10 minute walk to and from our room in anticipation of all that cruise food:p.

I also found buy-one-entree-get-one-free coupons for 2 restaurants in the hotel in my Entertainment book. Will you be visiting Seattle post cruise? The books are marked down even further. Here is the link if you think it would be useful to you:

http://seattle.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml

Happy cruising.