Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Did hotwire this time, as I wanted to make sure I got the hotel I wanted for San Diego. Got Sheraton Hotel and Marina for 117.00 for 10/4/07. Sheraton Website shows the room for 269.00 so i'm happy.

Just got Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor on Priceline for $65 per night. This is for 2/19 and 2/20/2008 precruise. That's two rooms for two nights for a grand total of $306.18. The internet rate for this hotel was $153.

I can't find the Crowne Plaza listed on bidding for travel - can you give me some details on how you bid? Do they have an airport shuttle?

Ron

I've heard of priceline and seen commercials but I've always been afraid to get burned. Can anyone please explain how it works, what the risks and benefits are? I went to the website and I see you don't see the name of the hotel until after you've made a contract to stay. Has anyone ever neen disappointed by the location?

I'll be traveling to Vancouver withh my husband and both of our mothers (in their 80's) and need 2 rooms some place from June 30 through July 3. One would have to have one bed and one would have to have two. Can you be that specific on priceline?

I've heard of priceline and seen commercials but I've always been afraid to get burned. Can anyone please explain how it works, what the risks and benefits are? I went to the website and I see you don't see the name of the hotel until after you've made a contract to stay. Has anyone ever neen disappointed by the location?

I'll be traveling to Vancouver withh my husband and both of our mothers (in their 80's) and need 2 rooms some place from June 30 through July 3. One would have to have one bed and one would have to have two. Can you be that specific on priceline?

Be advise that you can purchase a room at a quoted price for a specific hotel or bid for a category of hote. Money is none refundable. Explaining how it works would take way too much typing. Here is a link that may explain how it works.

http://www.betterbidding.com/

dforeigner's site is one I always use - there was also a good thread last year on the alaskan ports of call - a thread re vancouver hotels - has lots of good info - so also have a look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=261243&highlight=VANCOUVER+HOTELS+priceline

good luck, Jane

Just had a priceline bid accepted and it was $10 more per night than if I had just booked it without bidding! On the priceline website! Customer Service says they will refund me the difference, but so irritated that I spent so much time bidding and being rejected for no savings at all! (I was trying for a 2 1/2 star or higher and it bumped me down to the 2 star)

Traveller's Inn Gorge in Victoria/2 *

Accepted bid $75.00 per night

Book direct without bidding $65.00 per night

June 12 - 14, 2007

Just had a priceline bid accepted and it was $10 more per night than if I had just booked it without bidding! On the priceline website! Customer Service says they will refund me the difference, but so irritated that I spent so much time bidding and being rejected for no savings at all! (I was trying for a 2 1/2 star or higher and it bumped me down to the 2 star)

Traveller's Inn Gorge in Victoria/2 *

Accepted bid $75.00 per night

Book direct without bidding $65.00 per night

June 12 - 14, 2007

I don't understand how you could be "bumped down" unless you had chosen a 2* somewhere in one of your other bids on the same day -- another part of the city, perhaps? Once you've entered a bid for a 2* on that day in that city, it can not be "erased" until your 24 hours are up. If there was a "glitch" by priceline, and they bumped it down, you can insist of a refund. But, they will undoubtedly find a loophole and you will probably have no proof that it was their mistake. :(

Bid was accepted tonight - we needed two rooms - we're staying in Kent $36 a night for two nights - total $174. Confirmed with the hotel that they received it which they did and they also noted that i needed two beds in one room - we're getting that much closer.

Does anyone know if there is something special going on in Vancouver weekend of Sept? I am a regular bidder on priceline for hotels and I ahev been trying for 3 months to get a decent price in Vancouver for the 22nd. I started out bidding $70 for a 3 star. gone up as high as $110, then finally gave up and went down to a 2 1/2 star. I have bid up as high as $88 still can't even get a 2/1 2 star, any suggestions anyone??

• 2 weeks later...

Started the bidding at $50 and used free rebids until accepted at $60. Lowest rate on their website is $144.00 per room per night.

Price: $60.00

# Rooms: 2

# Nights: 1

Subtotal: $120.00

Taxes/Fees: $ 25.92

Total: $145.92

I went on biddingfortravel 1st to try and educate myself. I've now tried for almost a week for a 4 star in Long Beach for 10/19-21. Bid all the way up to 110, no acceptance. Even when I wait much more than 24 hours it tells me I have already bid on the same areas. I thought after 24 hours you start "clean". Can anyone explain this? Also, almost everything I've read on CC and the other travel websites seem to indicate I should be able to get a 4* in the area for 90. or less, and I have added the other 3 areas in a I try to rebid and raise each time. I even tried changing the dates to one night only to be able to get more rebids. I also created a second account in my husbands name using a different email and different credit card number, but it still gives me the same "you have bid this area before".

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

I have bid on Priceline for hotels & car Rentals for years. Unless it has changed I believe you had to wait 72 hrs to rebid, and they even email you now when you are able to rebid again. I have found that the cheap prices I was getting for hotels on Priceline fior 3 & 4 ** don;t seem to exsist anymopre, or maybe it is just the dates & places I choose. However my husband read in the buisness section that Travelocity & Place slike that are actually higher now than want you will get if you call the hotel diretcly and ask for a rack room rate and ALWAYS TELL them you are staying with them for the very first time, this has helped me at homewood suites and one other I cannnot remember. Hope thsi helps

I went on biddingfortravel 1st to try and educate myself. I've now tried for almost a week for a 4 star in Long Beach for 10/19-21. Bid all the way up to 110, no acceptance. Even when I wait much more than 24 hours it tells me I have already bid on the same areas. I thought after 24 hours you start "clean". Can anyone explain this? Also, almost everything I've read on CC and the other travel websites seem to indicate I should be able to get a 4* in the area for 90. or less, and I have added the other 3 areas in a I try to rebid and raise each time. I even tried changing the dates to one night only to be able to get more rebids. I also created a second account in my husbands name using a different email and different credit card number, but it still gives me the same "you have bid this area before".

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Go in and clear your cookies and then try again. I bid with two different accounts all the time but I have to clear the cookies and history or I get the same message. The rules changed earlier this year or last year to allow rebidding after 24 hours instead of 72. You can't go a minute before the 24 hours are up though or it won't allow you to bid with the same account.

Re: your dates. It could just be that you're bidding too early and the rooms have not been released to Priceline yet. Have you tried looking at a calendar for the city of Long Beach to see if there's anything big going on in the city at that time? That can severely limit your ability to get a great rate because the inventory will be limited.

Just keep trying and book a cancellable backup in the meantime.

Thank you for the advice, which I will try. My backup plans at the time are a Marriott by the Long Beach airport with a decent rate direct through the hotel, I would be afraid to bid on priceline for a 3* and get something I would be really unhappy with. The other option is to bid for something in San Pedro, but too many posts sounded like there wasn't much to do there and that it wasn't too safe to walk around, which is something my husband likes to do especially in the evenings.

I am going to call the hotels I am interested in directly and see what rates they quote me. Thanks again for all the help

Got the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro yesterday afternoon for Oct. 7-9.

Bid once on Priceline for a 3 star at $65 and was accepted in minutes. Total cost for 2 night was $150 something or other.

Will be out of town for the week-end so will not be able to reply to anyone.

Good Luck!