Stingrays and the Crocodile Hunter

M&MCruisin

Just curious if anyone, who is planning on swimming with the Stingrays at one of the islands will change their mind now that the Crocodile Hunter was killed by one?

I swam with them in the Caymans at Stingray City. I have to admit, I was really scared, but I did hold one for a few minutes. I didnt mind them when someone was holding one, but I didnt like them all swimming around my legs. I dont understand how we could be so close and touch them and their tails right next to us and it wasnt dangerous.

Just curious if anyone, who is planning on swimming with the Stingrays at one of the islands will change their mind now that the Crocodile Hunter was killed by one?

I swam with them in the Caymans at Stingray City. I have to admit, I was really scared, but I did hold one for a few minutes. I didnt mind them when someone was holding one, but I didnt like them all swimming around my legs. I dont understand how we could be so close and touch them and their tails right next to us and it wasnt dangerous.

They are called sting rays for a reason.......

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray

Excerpts:

Their stinger is a razor-sharp, barbed or serrated cartilaginous spine which grows from the ray's whip-like tail (like a fingernail), and can grow as long as 37 cm. On the underside of the spine are two grooves containing venom-secreting glandular tissue. The entire spine is covered with a thin layer of skin called the integumentary sheath, in which venom is concentrated.[1] This gives them their common name of stingrays, but the name can also be used to refer to any poisonous ray.

Immediate injuries to humans include, but are not limited to: poisoning, punctures, severed arteries and possible death. Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin in September 2006, are extremely rare. Up to 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17.

Most major aquariums feature stingrays, including the National Baltimore Aquarium and the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga. Where there are stingray touch tanks where visitors can "pet" rays or when show divers routinely hand feed rays in giant saltwater exhibits, for diver and visitor safety the barbs on the rays are snipped off with a pair of pliers. The tip of the barb is then presented as a harmless stub that can't penetrate the skin of visitors or divers who routinely handle the docile rays.

There's no such thing as a perfectly safe animal or creature.......

So if these postings are reliable, somewhere between 2 and 17 people have been killed by stingray encounters in modern recorded history.

The US Government reports that over 3,000 Americans have been killed by riding lawnmowers since 1975.

Might we be misplacing our safety concerns just a little bit??.....................

Yes, and he would be upset if he thought people began to believe they were that dangerous.

It would not matter to me if he would be upset. I think that the tale here is to be careful and if his death were to save a life by not doing it. That would be a better legacy;)

No sea animal is tame and a sting ray IS dangerous. I would not let my child do it.

It would not matter to me if he would be upset. I think that the tale here is to be careful and if his death were to save a life by not doing it. That would be a better legacy;)

No sea animal is tame and a sting ray IS dangerous. I would not let my child do it.

I have to say that I am with you on this one...100%.

We have no idea what an animal is going to do....but if I am very carefull then I do know what my riding lawn mower is going to do. My lawn mower killing me is my negligence versus an animal I have no control over.

I would never subject my child to something so unpredictable as a sea creature that has the potential to kill or at the very least cause sever pain if stung. :(

I can not believe this kind of statement. Almost 1,000 people die each WEEK from car accidents. Maybe you should keep them at home. Oops, people die from fires too. Take them out on the back porch. Oops, they die from lung cancer because their parents smoke on the porch. Go walk in the street. Oops, people die from dog bites. Back on the porch. Oops, people die from drive by shootings. Why would you let your child sit on the porch?

This was such a freak accident. Why such a knee jerk reaction?

Although not "tame" or "pets" by any means, the stingrays that congregate at Stingray City (as they have been doing for YEARS) are quite accustomed to many, many pairs of legs and shuffling feet. Attached to those legs are squid snacks. The stingrays aren't fearful there and have no reason to need to defend themselves. As long, of course, as the visitors do as they're instructed. We just went to Stingray City in June and my kids and I had an awesome time. We each held a huge ray in our arms and even got our good luck kiss. What happened to Steve Irwin was a terrible, tragic accident. His attitude with and towards animals was never one of fear, but respect for the animal and the animal's unique nature. IMO, that is the lesson - respect, not fear. I'd get in the water again in a minute with all those rays, and I bet Steve Irwin would urge ya'll to do the same! (Just my opinion, remember! :p )

I did the sting ray tour in Nassua and would never do it there again or suggest it to anyone.....

I am going to go to Sting Ray bay with a tour in Grand Cayman though....

You know why? I will have way more space and if I don't want to get in the water with them I don't have to. I just want to see them...

We were crowded with the rays in Nassau and we were encouraged to go out in the strong waves and have the sand wash from under our feet, making it very hard to stay balanced... With the rays getting upset at us because the guide poured the octopus juice in the water and wasn't giving them the octupus. The water was hard to see through becaus eof the waves and the juice... The guides were not very old...

So for my next tour I will take more cautious choices... Like if waters are ruff I will not be in the water... If the guides don't make me feel safe, I won't go in or I will leave the water right away. I will make sure I have my space...

I will not act a fool!

Jeff Irwin was crazy for doing the many things he did.. Maybe he wasn't as safe as he should have been.. I dont know.. But I am going to give the Rays another chance... :)

Thanks everyone for responding. I just thought it would be interesting to see different perspectives. I was very scared the first time, but then again, I hate the ocean and the only reason I got in the water in the Caymans was because it was cyrstal clear and I could see, but I was so very scared. Next time I think I would watch from the boat.

Illinoisvacationeer....Im with you on the Nassau...I wouldnt like the rough waves with the animals. I think the Stingray Bay is a different place than Stingray City in the Caymans, so I dont know how things will be for you there, but the water was pretty calm at Stingray City and it was really clear water. It was busy there too, but we had plenty of room and our guides brought over a couple huge Stingrays. Then when they started feeding them, the Stingrays really started to swarm around and I had to go back to the boat. It scared me too much, but everyone else enjoyed it. Have fun in the Caymans.

So if these postings are reliable, somewhere between 2 and 17 people have been killed by stingray encounters in modern recorded history.

The US Government reports that over 3,000 Americans have been killed by riding lawnmowers since 1975.

Might we be misplacing our safety concerns just a little bit??.....................

Your right No swimming with lawnmowers.

Bob

No sting ray excursions for me either! They are wild by nature no matter how tame someone says they are. That's like someone saying my pit bull is tame:rolleyes: just because it may be surrounded by people all the time and no freak accidents.

I would not hesitate swimming with or standing on the Sandbar with the Stingrays. Those rays are very used to people.

I loved Steve Irwin! My four boys were practically in tears. They said they felt like they lost a friend.

Steve was swimming in a remote area. The rays in that area were not used to thousands of people. It was a horrible, freak accident.

You probably have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car walking from the dock. Do what makes you happy, but do not spread unnecessary fear to others.

• 4 weeks later...

We're planning on doing the stingray city excursion in grand cayman next may. I want to get in the water w/ them, but I'm a little nervous. Not b/c I think I'm gonna die, but I've heard it really hurts when they sting you. How do they keep the rays from stinging people in stingray city?

We're planning on doing the stingray city excursion in grand cayman next may. I want to get in the water w/ them, but I'm a little nervous. Not b/c I think I'm gonna die, but I've heard it really hurts when they sting you. How do they keep the rays from stinging people in stingray city?

The guys are really trained well. First they put in you a circle and one by one, you come to the center of the circle. The ones we were with brought the stingray up to you and placed it in your arms to hold one a minute while they were at the back end. The stingrays are so used to it... its almost like they like the attention. Then they put one on my back which was weird...like a massage because their mouth is like a vaccum. They go over and over how to pet the stingray. You go down the body. If you come back up, its like razors. My arms were under the stingray so it was safe, then he moved the stingray to another person and so on. The only thing I didnt like is when they start feeding them, the stingrays are swarming around your legs and I was scared to death. I went back to the boat, but everyone else stayed in the water. I also dont like shuffling my feet through the sand incase there is one under there. Its fun, but scarey at the same time. Thats the best way I can describe how my trip was. Hope you have a great time. BTW...May is a perfect time to do the western caribbean. Its beautiful weather!

I just swam with the stingrays for the second time last month. I would do it again and recommend it to anyone in a heart beat.

Many of the rays at Stingray City have lived their entire lives with human interaction. Yes, they are wild animals and we must respect that, but they are gentle and docile. They just want the food that's being handed out!

What happend to Steve Irwin was a tragic accident. The type of ray he was swimming next to (in open ocean) was 7 feet across, and is known to be rather jumpy. (The rays in Cayman are a different type.) It was also "hunting" season for the ray, where the rays are the hunted, so it makes sense that the ray was nervous. If the ray would have struck him anywhere other than in the heart, he would have lived. Is was a freak occurance.

I think it's sad that people are getting so worked up and don't want to experience swimming with the stingrays b/c of Steve Irwin's death. He would have hated that. They are beautiful creatures and it is such a wonderful experience to be in the water with them. It's like saying that you'll never fly in a plane again because someone died in a plane crash. Very rare that it occurs, especially considering how many people fly every day.

[/color]

I have to say that I am with you on this one...100%.

We have no idea what an animal is going to do....but if I am very carefull then I do know what my riding lawn mower is going to do. My lawn mower killing me is my negligence versus an animal I have no control over.

I would never subject my child to something so unpredictable as a sea creature that has the potential to kill or at the very least cause sever pain if stung. :(

So, I imagine you are going to keep your children away from cars too.

I'd think cars driven by bad drivers/drunk drivers/ etc are far more unpredictable and likely to harm your child. Cars also have the potential to kill or at the very least cause severe pain if struck/hit by one.

But this is all about choice and everyone has it. I just don't see going thru all this becasue of man who abused the animals/creatures he sort after to make money. At first I thought the crocodile guy was kind of funny, but then I started thinking about the way he'd go after the animals and what he would do for the camera.

I've done this twice and love it. We hope to do again in Grand Ccyman in December. However, the last time (and I've forgotten where) while we all were feeding the rays I got my forearm sucked/bitten and still have a small zigzag scar.

karen

I've done this twice and love it. We hope to do again in Grand Ccyman in December. However, the last time (and I've forgotten where) while we all were feeding the rays I got my forearm sucked/bitten and still have a small zigzag scar.

karen

I did this at Stingray City in Antiqua and it was the highlight of my cruise! I loved it and am really looking forward to doing it again in GC. You need to listen to the instructions and use common sense. It was so fun holding one, not at all what I thought.

As far as kids doing it....depends on the child (or adult for that matter), can they listen to instructions and follow rules? I would let my child, I would be there helping her along. Of course, I let her ride in cars and play in the back yard too.;)

Archived