Zenith vs. Norwegian Dawn

toz

Has anyone sailed Zenith and the Norwegian Dawn? I have bookings on both ships this Christmas. I'll be sailing with my 23 year old son. We must decide which ship to take since final payment is due within the next 3 days. Any recommendations?

Has anyone sailed Zenith and the Norwegian Dawn? I have bookings on both ships this Christmas. I'll be sailing with my 23 year old son. We must decide which ship to take since final payment is due within the next 3 days. Any recommendations?

I have cruised on Zenith and spent the day aboard Dawn. VERY different ships. I have also cruised the newer ships of NCL so will attempt to compare.

If you prefer a traditional experience with set dining times and a more formal onboard atmosphere, Zenith is a good choice. The service in the dining room is European, the food very good, the experience slow and unhurried. On NCL's ships, dinner is a more casual affair.

Dawn is far more modern with a bold, splashy decor. She offers Freestyle dining in the main dining rooms and several ala carte venues ($$$$). The pool area and gym is quite nice and the entire ship quite modern.

NCL has "optional" formal nights and IME less than half participate and those that do are more what I classify as semi formal.

Your son might find more to do both daytime and evening on NCL. I have found their entertainment in general to be quite good and expect it will be lively around the holidays.

The cabins on both are fairly small, but the suites on the Dawn are huge! She also has many more balconies.

I have cruised on Zenith and spent the day aboard Dawn. VERY different ships. I have also cruised the newer ships of NCL so will attempt to compare.

If you prefer a traditional experience with set dining times and a more formal onboard atmosphere, Zenith is a good choice. The service in the dining room is European, the food very good, the experience slow and unhurried. On NCL's ships, dinner is a more casual affair.

Dawn is far more modern with a bold, splashy decor. She offers Freestyle dining in the main dining rooms and several ala carte venues ($$$$). The pool area and gym is quite nice and the entire ship quite modern.

NCL has "optional" formal nights and IME less than half participate and those that do are more what I classify as semi formal.

Your son might find more to do both daytime and evening on NCL. I have found their entertainment in general to be quite good and expect it will be lively around the holidays.

The cabins on both are fairly small, but the suites on the Dawn are huge! She also has many more balconies.

I wouldn't even consider the Zenith over the Dawn. The Dawn has no balconies though the cabins might be a little larger. The ship is nice and well maintained but the Dawn is almost new, offers more activities for young and old and has several dining choices. We liked the Zenith ok, would sail her again at the right price and yet, there was just something missing. Actually our biggest concern on the Zenith was the thin walls. We could talk to the couple in the next cabin without having an open door. We were certainly glad they were friends. of ours. If traditonal dining and formal dress is very important, that you will miss if you choose the Dawn. Not that you can't dress up on formal optional nights, you can and many do, but for those who really love the formalities that come with cruising you will not get this on the Dawn. NMnita

I have been on both ships. I like them both for different reasons. I certainly would not classify the Zenith as a dump. It is a charming ship without the bells and whistles of newer and bigger ships. The crew on the Zenith is second to none, however if you are traveling with a 23 year old I would suggest the Dawn. It is great ship with lots to do, I like the Freestyle cruising and being able to eat when and where you want. I had great service on the Dawn both times I have been on her. I think for your particular situation the Dawn would be you best bet.

The Zenith is an absolute dump. Don't waste your time even considering this "boat" that should be put out to pasture.

We sailed the Zenith in late July. If you look hard enough you'll notice many layers of paint, a rust spot here and there. All in all, we loved sailing the Zenith...and would do it again.

I have been on both ships. I like them both for different reasons. I certainly would not classify the Zenith as a dump. It is a charming ship without the bells and whistles of newer and bigger ships. The crew on the Zenith is second to none, however if you are traveling with a 23 year old I would suggest the Dawn. It is great ship with lots to do, I like the Freestyle cruising and being able to eat when and where you want. I had great service on the Dawn both times I have been on her. I think for your particular situation the Dawn would be you best bet.

Of course you know I agree with you: she is a wonderful old lady just like me. I hope no one calls me a dump. Of course there are places where the age shows, is she my favority ship? No, by my comments in the past everyone knows that, but a dump she certainly is not. The bars and public areas are well maintained, there are always crew members painting and cleaning up and the cabins are ok. I didn't have as good experience with the crew as you did. In fact that happened to be our biggest complaint. NMnita

NMNita, I had a problem on the Norwegian Dawn, albeit small by most peoples standards. I asked several people who I should complain to, they just brushed me off, I did however after enough persistence found the proper person to complain to and the problem was solved. I believe that on most cruises anyone can get a bad waiter or cabin steward and it is just unfortunate when you do. I am considering sailing the Zenith again, since she is going to do the 10 days out of Tampa, I hope I still get the same level of service as the first time that I sailed her.

NMNita, I had a problem on the Norwegian Dawn, albeit small by most peoples standards. I asked several people who I should complain to, they just brushed me off, I did however after enough persistence found the proper person to complain to and the problem was solved. I believe that on most cruises anyone can get a bad waiter or cabin steward and it is just unfortunate when you do. I am considering sailing the Zenith again, since she is going to do the 10 days out of Tampa, I hope I still get the same level of service as the first time that I sailed her.
you know I agree 100%. that is why I am not one to write that horrible, negative review when we have a few problems. Our same wait person got raving reviews the following week from someone. Who know what happened. We didn't get really bad service, it was just he overlooked my DH twice on a t night cruise, forgetting to give him a menu.Then when 2 guys at our table choose 2 entrees on formal night he rushed them through the first so he could bring out the second one. The final blow: the first 4 nights he took a couple of minute at the end of our dinner to let us know how hard he worked for us and hoped we appreciated him. We also didn't find the activities crew very enthusiastic about their jobs: we had the same problem on the Connie. I also don't think any cruise is perfect and don't think either of the 2 examples I have given would stop us from sailing Celebrity. It's still a good line. NMnita

I would not sail on Zenith except to Bermuda. It is great for Bermuda because you are using it as a hotel there but for other itineraries it is missing a lot of amenities in newer ships.

The Dawn has a lot of those amenities but it is a substandard cruise experience. I would not go on NCL again. I would pick another ship entirely from either Celebrity, Princess or RCI.

There is a real problem trying to advise people on the suitability of a ship. If you read ship reviews on the Celebrity you wonder if they're talking about the same ship:

One person's "Mercury--huge disappointment" is another's "Alaska on Mercury- FABULOUS!!!"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=413946

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414068

If you are looking for the Celebrity Treatment you will get it on Zenith. If you're looking for a nice, modern ship... you won't get it. Zenith was built in 1992.. 14 years ago and the ship looks like it was built 14 years ago.

Zenith would be our last choice in cruising a Celebrity ship but if the price is right we would sail on her again. The other Celebrity ships are just better choices. We sailed once on NCL and we have never been back.

When you compare these ships are the prices similar? Do you cruise for the ship, the service, the food, the itinerary?

I have sailed both ships. While the Dawn is a beautiful ship and the Zenith is a much older ship with fewer amenities, I would choose Zenith. My cruise on the Dawn was disappointing in food (very) and service as well. I didn't get the feeling of being pampered that I always get on a Celebrity ship and I didn't get any fresh pineapple either on the Dawn. The public areas on Zenith are not nearly as beaytuiful as they are on newer X ships and the cabin furnishings were worn. Actually I don't think either of these ships is a great choice. What are the itineraries?

I sailed the Zenith in December and the Dawn twice in 2003. Both were wonderful experiences.

The Dawn has the $32 million in impressionist art in Le Bistro and it is fun and new. The entertainment staff on NCL is ever-present I think compared to many other lines. The activities are hokey but funny and I do love this ship. Your son will be happier here

Compared to Carnival, Princess and RCI you will notice that these two lines do have a better guest to staff ratio insuring you of better service overall but the traditional dining of the Zenith gives it the edge on Dawn for dining room service.

I sold quite a few cabins on Zenith this summer and everyone had positive comments about their experience. That said the group of couples in June were in their 50's and the August people were families with several kids.

She may be below Celebrity standards but I had a great time in the Caribbean on our last seminar at sea. However, she is not targeting the younger sect.

I would not sail on Zenith except to Bermuda. It is great for Bermuda because you are using it as a hotel there but for other itineraries it is missing a lot of amenities in newer ships.

The Dawn has a lot of those amenities but it is a substandard cruise experience. I would not go on NCL again. I would pick another ship entirely from either Celebrity, Princess or RCI.

I was on the Zenith in January, we went to Key West, Costa Maya and Cozumel, it was great. I have sailed the Horizon to Bermuda X3, so I understand what you are saying about Bermuda, but our experience on Zenith was great. Different strokes for different folks.

Let us know what ship you choose.:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414012

Read the post for a cruiser that just returned from the Zenith. She had wonderful reviews. Thankfully she didn't think the Zenith was a dump!!:cool:

Awww--thanks Crazybus!

Like others have stated, we are each looking for different things. Staffs rotate, quit and new ones are hired. A good meal from a great chef on one ship might be a lousy meal from a less great chef on the same ship 6 months later. Weather can be tempermental. There will always be a newer ship produced, and an older ship out there.

Us --the cruisers--to a large extent are responsible for our own adventure. Or at least I would like to think.

I found each time I sailed on Zenith, that she excelled at sevice, friendliness and food. This last time, the crew realized all the cruisers were expecting one thing--Bermuda--and got another Bahamas. We had the choice to sail her and enjoy what she had to offer or pass and receive a future cruise credit.

I'd like to think those of us that sailed her all had great time. I did. I met some nice, fun people, both passengers and crew. No, this wasn't the cruise I origninally planned, but isn't that life?

To the original poster, I hope whatever ship you choose you have a dynamite time!

I really appreciate everyone's well-thought-out comments. I made final payment on the Zenith over the weekend. What a relief to finally have made a decision: I kept changing my mind every five minutes. The size of the ship, the food and quality of service were determining factors. In addition, Tampa is about a 40 minute drive from my home. At any rate, the die is cast, and I am sure that we'll have a wonderful holiday cruise. Thanks again. Diane

The Zenith is an absolute dump. Don't waste your time even considering this "boat" that should be put out to pasture.

Ouch.

Since you're from Baltimore I'd hate to think what you think of Grandeur. Quite beat up from that encounter with the pier in Costa Maya in '05. :eek:

Comparing Zenith to NCL's Dawn is like comparing a '92 SAAB to a '02 Lexus. :p

Toz-

You've made a great decision! I am a 32 yo and have cruise a lot the past couple of years. Was on the Zenith last Nov. and on the Dawn a few weeks later. Thought the Zenith was far superior. Yes it does look older compared to the rest of the Celebrity fleet but found the cabin to be comfortable, the food to be great, and the entertainment very enjoyable. NCL has all of the alternative restaurants but on Celebrity the food in the main dining room is even better than the pay restaurants NCL offers. As far as nightlife, we had a lot of fun in Zenith's disco where as the one on the Dawn was dead. The only thing I preferred on NCL was the spa pool which was awesome sailing out of NYC since the sail in northern waters is chilly. Won't be an issue sailing out of Tampa.

Have a great time on the Zenith. I love Celebrity and after my experiences on NCL (this was my 6th sailing on them) I have seen such a decline in their product that I won't be back.

Capeboy: Thanks for the "positive reinforcement." Instead of comparing her to a "92 Saab (as one poster did)...I prefer to think "Classic Mercedes". Paul(my son) and I were on the Caribbean Princess in August, and were very disappointed in the food and service. I'm certain we won't have that problem on the Zenith. I can see that you are a very experienced cruiser, so I value your input. Thanks again. Diane

you know I am not sure the OP asked for totally negative answers or other suggestions: She is trying to decide between 2 ships.And Toz, now you have made your decision: I am sure you will have a great time. NMNita

Archived