Diamonds

ShrinkinTexas

Going on the Grand in January and looking to buy diamonds (5 or 6 in a setting, about 3 or 3.5 ct. total weight). We will be going to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Do you suggest buying them in port, on the cruise, or are we better off just getting them at home? We want nice and good quality.

To quote the Shopping Expert on Caribbean Princess last week, "Cozumel is Diamond Day".

Of course, that said, I have pretty much no experience with shopping for or purchasing gemstones. I do know that other gems far outnumbered the diamonds available on board... and at the gemstone seminar it was pretty much drilled into us that on the Western Caribbean route, Cozumel was by far the best place to get diamonds in particular.

She also pointed out that purchasing loose stones and a setting separately is better from a 'dealing with customs' perspective and can be considerably cheaper than purchasing set stones. Loose gems are considered 'rocks' and are customs exempt when entering the U.S. apparently, so you'd only be paying duty on the setting, and then you could take the components to a local jeweller to assemble for you, as opposed to a complete piece of jewellery where you would pay duty on the value of the entire item (significantly more than just the metal).

Hope that helps a bit.

purchased a 2.25 carat solitare from Diamonds International in St. Thomas. Had the stone set at the store. No problem coming through customs. Just wore the ring. Feel that I got a good value on the stone. Much larger selection than in the U.S. Did A LOT of research on diamond prices on the internet at Blue Nile before I went. So I knew what the price should be for the diamond. Very, very happy with my ring, get lots of compliments. Also Diamond International bought my 1 carat diamond and setting at the same price I had paid for it 10 years ago in the U.S.

If you are going to purchase any pricey gems, wait until about 2 hours

before you have to be back on board. The stores are starting to empty out and the sales staff are easier to bargain with. I looked at a Tanzanite

stone in one of the stores in the morning and they didn't want to budge too much on the price - went back to the same store around 2:30 and

purchased for $200.00 less that the original discounted price. I suspect that their sales are largely dependent on the cruise ship passengers so

no ship in port for a few days, no major sales - they grab them while they

can.

If you are going to purchase any pricey gems, wait until about 2 hours

before you have to be back on board. The stores are starting to empty out and the sales staff are easier to bargain with. I looked at a Tanzanite

stone in one of the stores in the morning and they didn't want to budge too much on the price - went back to the same store around 2:30 and

purchased for $200.00 less that the original discounted price. I suspect that their sales are largely dependent on the cruise ship passengers so

no ship in port for a few days, no major sales - they grab them while they

can.

There have been several threads stating not to buy gems. After coming back home they had the gems appraised. Only to find out they were ripped off. One paid $5,000 for a ring and it was only worth $1,200. The place that in which it was purchased was highly recommended my Princess.

If you do decide to buy - know your prices.

I would recommend you buy at home with a reputable dealer.

I am a very experienced cruiser, and also a Diplomate Gemologist trained by the Gemological Institute of America. For twenty years I was a professional diamond appraiser. My advice to you about shopping while on a cruise: Restrict your purchases to t-shirts and souvenir coffee mugs!

Why in the world would you buy diamonds at a "tourist trap"?? Where do you think the phrase comes from and why is it so widely used?

Any major jewelry purchase should be made from a reputable local jeweler in your home town, one who wants your business for years to come because they treat you so well.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We bought ours here after much research.

(not of a ship, but Old Town is accessable from the ship pier)

Be careful if you shine a LASER pointer into one of these diamonds.

http://www.thediamondsource.com/diamondsource_whychooseus.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2814500-diamond_source_the_san_diego-i

The Diamond Source is one of the most unique jewelry stores you will ever visit. Diamond cutting is performed on the premises to ideal proportions. We create the most beautiful diamonds and offer the best prices anywhere.

A suggestion is to contact the CD and explain what you're looking for. Some CDs are very knowledgeable and would be willing to go with you.

Unless you really, really know what you're looking at, I wouldn't spend the amount of money you're implying you'll spend at an unknown store in a foreign country.

From our jeweler at Schreve & Co... Buy whatever makes you happy, just don't expect it to be anywhere near the quality and value you are led to believe it is. You will be sorely disappointed if and when you have it appraised at a reputable jeweler at home.

The one exception mentioned was H Stern in Rio, this is a very old and established firm with excellent credentials.

Ed/Jeff

PLEASE, please don't spend any money on diamonds in the ports. My good friend, a gemologist and goldsmith told me recently he is now working with a couple and their lawyer after they purchased nearly $20,000 worth of diamonds in the Caribbean. Turned out they were not worth even 1/4 of that amount and they are trying to recoup some of that money. Never, never buy anything like that in these places. Always deal with an extremely reputable company at home. One of the other posters here is correct....buy only souvenir coffee mugs and t-shirts. Those shops are nothing but tourist traps......they know they will never see you again so they don't worry about it.

I too have been ripped off twice buying precious stone jewelry in Mexico and the Caribbean. Fortunately, the stuff was paid for with a credit card and there was a limited amount of recourse. The diamonds turned out to be Cubic Zirconia and the opals were not genuine and these items were purchased in some of the so-called "finest jewelry estabishments" in those areas.:mad:

We have a couple of stores we do our diamond shopping at in the Eastern Caribbean. We visit there often (sometimes two or three times a year) and so they remember us when we come in. Always gotten very good quality and always been totally satisfied.

I have to admit though, these are purchases of less than $1000. If I were going to buy anything more expensive, I would buy it here at home where I knew the jeweler. Just too much to invest with not much recoarse if something should happen on larger purchases.

I worked in the jewelry business for several years. I went to the cruise ship reccommended stores out of curiosity, and I was shocked at the high prices and poor quality of the stones.:eek: Buy your diamond from a reputable jeweler at home, where you can go back if you have any problems with it!!!! If you really must buy some jewelry, wait until the final day of the cruise, when there will be some bargains on board. I bought a nice pair of gold earrings once, and their "clearance" sale price was about what I might have paid at home, but it made a nice souvenir.:o Oh, by the way - those stores the cruise rep. will tell you about PAY PRINCESS FOR THE RECCOMMENDATION!!!!;)

Why do people even consider buying precious gems and jewelry in the Caribbean?

None of the stones (nor usually gold either) are produced locally. Most of what I've seen in the islands is unexceptional from a workmanship standpoint. 'Duty' is a relatively inconsequential factor in price. The opportunity and liklihood of a ripoff is much much higher than stateside, and recourse is nearly non-existant...

So why do - mainly cruisers - feel compelled to literally 'go overboard' jewelry shopping?

It's certainly a curious and common socio-psychological phenomena.

Danger. Look at it this way because it applies to most cruise purchasers:

-a customer who does not know product/quality

-a customer who is in a rush and is impressed with a bogus in store appraisal

-a customer who cannot come back easily for redress

-an experienced, highly commissioned sales person

What do you think your chances are of getting value???

Unless you know quite a bit about diamonds and can also get a legitimate certificate (AGL or GIA is the best) you'd be better to stay away and purchase from a reputable dealer locally, who can provide you with adequate documentation (which you'll need if you plan to insure your purchases.)

Hi,

Just chiming in from Tucson... we have the largest gem and mineral show in the country during February. People from all over the world come to sell all sorts of gems and minerals. One week is open to the public, usually at the end of February, but there are vendors all over Tucson (mostly near the convention center and freeway) for almost the entire month of February.

We have found the best place to buy quality stones (with a 30 day GTE from Princess) is Diamonds International in Cozumel. Over the past few years we have purchased a diamond bangle 3 carat TW and a diamond ring 1.5 carat TW (VSII , G) and when we returned home we took them to our appraiser (within 30 days) and were pleasantly surprised that not only did DI under-appraise them but they were below US wholesale prices!!! We only deal with Gary Klein at the DI located at forum shops in Cozumel. He is the General Sales Manager for all the stores in Cozumel. Do your homework before you cruise and educate yourself on what you're buying. If you visit him tell him his friends from Hollywood Florida say hello!:)

Archived