HELP! Airline changed departure time...

vegasbrew

I just got on to check my airline reservation for Jan '07. OMG we were to depart Miami at 1:20 pm and they have changed us to 11:25 am. I was told it was not a good idea to make airline reservations before 1 pm on disembarkation day. Do you think we'll be ok or should I contact the airline to see if I can change it? I know if I would of let RCCL make my flight reservations this wouldn't be a problem....but I didn't! (and I saved about $300 a ticket) HELP!

Airlines change schedules quarterly and sometimes even more. There's a chance it could change again before you go in January. Check and see what the change fees are (you didn't mention which airline) as many will let you change for a low fee the day of travel ($25). If you recieved a good fare it's best just to let it go and see if you make it. If on the way and you realize you won't, then just call the airline and go standby on the next flight. It will be a little stressful getting there by 9:30am (in MIA depending on the airline you need to allow plenty of time) but the odds are on your side.

Vegasbrew,

Just call the airline and tell them they changed the flight time that you booked and that you can not make that time because you are getting off a cruise ship. This has happened to us and we just called and they let us pick another fllight. There were no additional charges, not even for changing flights because we were not making a change but the airline had changed things and messed things up. We were fortunate as we had lots of flights to choose from since we live in CT and fly out of NY.

Why should you have to rush off the ship unless you want to because they made schedule changes.

Larry

I dont know what ship you are getting off of but, if you request to hand carry your bags, you should be okay in terms of your flight.

If you are really concerned and want to change flights, you need to explain the situation to the airlines and make sure they understand that you picked that flight specifically because of it's departure time from MIA.

That way, should you request a flight change, you are making it their fault, and not your own, that you have to change flights - so they cant charge you for it.

If they tell you they are going to try to charge you for a flight change, ask them why. If they say because you are changing flights you tell them that it isnt you that is changing flights, you will happily take the original flight you booked at the time they originally advertised to the public. You tell them it's actually their fault you have to change flights and that, if they had stuck with the flight you wanted at it's original time, you would not even be making this phone call.

I have had to use this line of reasoning at l;east 4 times in my life and I have always gotten a flight change, to a better flight, no problem.

Just make sure you keep reminding them that you are not the one who caused this to happen, they are! You will happily take your flight, the one you booked originally, no problem!

You should be just fine -- just request the 1st color to be called (usually white). I just docked in Miami and had an 11:30am flight from Fort Lauderdale -- made it with an hour to spare -- and that was with not getting off the ship until 9am (got in line about 8:30am though). No problem -- the Miami airport is very very close by!

You should be just fine -- just request the 1st color to be called (usually white). I just docked in Miami and had an 11:30am flight from Fort Lauderdale -- made it with an hour to spare -- and that was with not getting off the ship until 9am (got in line about 8:30am though). No problem -- the Miami airport is very very close by!

I gotta agree....

I've never flown out of MIA after a cruise but 11;25 seems 100% do able from any port I've ever sailed into...especially if you request white disembarkation or to hand carry your bags off....

I had this problem over the summer air tran changed my flight to a time I could make for no charge. They changed their flight so how could they cahrge me? there were 10 of us on that flight

xactly!

& that's what you have to point out!

I would contact the airline and tell them the change is not acceptable (if you feel it's not). If the person you talk to can't book you on an acceptable time, ask to be transfered to someone who has the power to make the change. This step may need to be repeated more than once. Don't be affraid to walk away from the reservation and book another flight. My family just went through this with their flights for our cruise this weekend. The flights changed and they gave them an arrival time in Miami that was too late. The airline started by saying it was impossible to get anything earlier. My sister finally told them to just refund the tickets and she would book on another airline. Magically, they were able to book them on an earlier flight. Don't let them force a bad flight time on you and don't let them charge you a change fee. It's like they just hope you'll accept what they give you so they can use the better seats/times for someone else who speaks up. Good luck.

We have had the same thing to happen to us for our cruise in 10 days, but the airline changed our flight 3 different times!! Schedules and routes change at the airline's discretion. Each time ours was changed by the airline, it was because a flight was canceled. If you call the airline and explain that they made this change and it is not acceptable, they will change it for you at no charge. I did have one agent who didn't want to make a change for me - we had 30 minutes for a connection. I explained that was too tight for us and she said that was the minimum allowable amount. I told her we were traveling with our 2 children and that it was not acceptable with 2 kids in tow - potty stops, etc. Then she gladly changed it for us.

Next week, we are traveling with a large group, on 3 different airlines. Seven of nine families have had their flights changed by the airlines. Southwest is the only one that hasn't made schedule changes.

If you will stress during your vacation about making your flight home, call the airline and request a change. Its not worth the worry - enjoy your vacation!

I booked airfare thru a major online travel site. When the airline changed their routes and layover times of my flights, the site emailed ME!! I was shocked, and pleased ;) . When I called them she said the layover was now 5 hrs long! She very happily changed my flight to a later time and avoided that long layover. I would think that if the airline changed the flight times, they would have to try to accomodate you by pushing you to a later flight.

What do you mean walk your suitcase off? Sorry this is new to us. Don't you have to leave it out the night before? How do you get the early -white- time and what is the latest time that they let you off the ship anyway?

Close to the day of departure they (the ship) will ask you what time your flight departs on the day of disembarkation. Put down 11:00 a.m. You will recieve white disembarkation luggage tags and will be the very first group color that gets called to get off the ship.

RCCL also offers the ability to hand carry off all your luggage, as early as possible, so you dont have to wait for it from the baggage carousel and can get a move on to the airport immedaitely.

I dont know anything about that but would suggest you give RCCL a call if you want more information on that.

What do you mean walk your suitcase off? Sorry this is new to us. Don't you have to leave it out the night before? How do you get the early -white- time and what is the latest time that they let you off the ship anyway?

They now have what they call Self Disembarkation, if you can carry or wheel all you luggage off the ship yourself, then you can do that and be first off the ship. The first color, is usually white and that is for people with early flights, ship booked tours and higher level C&A members

Usually with Air Tran , the carrier we use out of Williamsburg, VA into Orlando, if they change the flight and it is no good for you, they MUST change your tixs with no charge to you. But I think if you get off first you should have no trouble. Do self-assist and take off your own luggage and just be one of the first to leave.

I gotta agree....

I've never flown out of MIA after a cruise but 11;25 seems 100% do able from any port I've ever sailed into...especially if you request white disembarkation or to hand carry your bags off....

If you haven't flown in our out of MIA, then you really can't really predict it's 100% doable. I've flown in and out of it many times as well as FLL. Getting to the airport isn't a big deal. Getting through TSA and excessive long lines checking in luggage can be time consuming at MIA (in February it took us 1 1/2 hrs from walking in the terminal door). FLL is a snap and easier and quicker - even if coming from the port of Miami.

The exact same thing happened to me about a week ago, for our late Dec flight. Air Canada changed the homebound flight to an hour earlier and I was worried it would be too tight. I called them and they changed the flight to a later one, with no penalties or cost of fare difference to me!

Definitely call your airline and they 'should' change you to a later flight, if available.

Donna

Thanks everyone....I feel much better. I will AA today and let you know if I have any trouble.

You shouldnt have any trouble.

I had to approach AA, on 2 separate occasions, with a situation just like yours, after they changed my departure time. Both instances were cruise related. I was able to change my flight and not incur any financial issues.

Archived