Dining room first night. What do you see people wearing?

I was going to be a smartaleck and tell you clothes but I don't think that is really the answer you are looking for.

Erick's right. There is a lot of leeway the first night because they realize not everybody has gotten their luggage yet. In general the rule that first night is no shirt, no shoes, no service and that seems to be about it.

You might think about bringing a change of clothes in your carry-on bag, especially so if you're travelling to your port of departure on the same day as your cruise leaves. Then if your bags don't turn up on time at least you won't have the discomfort of going to dinner wearing the clothes you've had on all day.

Our luggage had arrived early to our cabin, so we changed for dinner; as did one other couple at our table. The other 2 couples at our table did not have their luggage so they wore what they traveled in which was shorts and tee shirts. I think that we will dress more casually that first dinner on the next cruise. That first night, you do see it all: shorts, tank tops, tee shirts, men in jackets and ladies in dresses.....

I'm one of those people that like to dress nicely when I travel. I do a lot of travel in my work and I have found that when I am dressed nicely I get much better service from the airlines, the taxies, the hotel, etc. And what's that adage your mother always said about being in an accident.....:)

When I dress for the first day it's not in T-shirt and shorts, but it's not a suit or dress either. I usually am in a nice set of casual pants/capris and shirt that would work well for a casual cocktail party. My husband wears a polo shirt and shorts. And we usually are wearing sandals.

I don't want the ship boarding picture of me to be in sloppy clothes because I always buy that picture. And if the luggage doesn't come, I feel I'm dressed well enough for the dining room.

I know that a lot of people want to be comfortable traveling, so they go for the T-shirt look. I just think it is possible to look nice and be comfortable.

Yours,

JC

Please state the facts of what people actually wear on the first night. I figure there is some wiggle room since people don't all have their luggage. I want to know what people have been seen wearing NOT what they should wear or what the fashion police think is acceptable.:cool: Thanks

First night I turned up in shorts and a polo shirt, DH in shorts and a wild tee from a Buddhist temple in Bali. :eek: Luggage had not arrived, and that was literally all we had to wear. Everyone else seemed pretty similarly dressed.:)

Fran in Toronto

I have never had luggage arrive too late to change, personally, and always carry a change of clothes in any case.

After travelling, I want a hot shower and clean clothes. On the first night, I dress in smart casual, as I do on all nights but formal. There is no difference as I would not go to dinner at any nice restaurant in shorts and flip flops (and I live in FL).

Different strokes...

On our first night on Radiance, this week, I saw mostly casual clothes the first night, like jeans etc. Almost nobody was more dressed up than "business casual" and there were a few pairs of shorts too. Nobody stoned anybody else for their attire. It's definitely true that not everyone has their luggage. Shoot, I've been in contact with two people who, now on day 6, STILL do not have their luggage.

Only once did I not change for dinner the first night. My Aunts luggage had not arrived and she was so upset that the rest of us opted to stay in the clothing we had boarded in, so she wouldn't feel so bad.

I pretty much don't concern myself about what other people are wearing, but I like to be clean and neat. Even though we usually don't travel in the day of the cruise (we'll fly in the day before) I like to freshen up and get out of clothing I've had on all day.

But, you will see it all! It's odd how people interpret casual to be sloppy. There are nice shorts and shirts that are casual, why not dress nice for a luxury vacation? :)

I do the same thing when we're on land based vacations or even at home too, I just feel weird about going into a nice restaurant in shorts and T's. If we don't feel like cleaning up, we'll order to go or go to a coffee shop.

I have never had luggage arrive too late to change, personally, and always carry a change of clothes in any case.

After travelling, I want a hot shower and clean clothes. On the first night, I dress in smart casual, as I do on all nights but formal. There is no difference as I would not go to dinner at any nice restaurant in shorts and flip flops (and I live in FL).

Different strokes...

I'm with you. I'm one that would feel uncomfortable in jeans/shorts in the dinning room. But I also don't care what other people are wearing.

Well I dont usually like to wear shorts anyway in traveling because the airplanes and some other places are usually cold to begin with, much less being banged in the legs with luggage, etc. So, I always wear something like khakis or capris, etc. on travel days. We saw a few people wearing shorts in the dining room on the first day, but most were in the business casual wear. Our luggage arrived pretty quickly, so alot of people were able to change. I guess I'm old fashioned in a sense too in that I feel that showing up to an elegant, nice dining room in shorts and a t-shirt is inappropriate, but to each their own.

Archived