Crème brulée

bankerbabe

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but I was reading a review on the Noordam that mentioned crème brulée. I am a crème brulée fanatic. Where was the best you have ever had? How about the best in New York City (where our next cruise leaves from)?

I don't eat creme brulee so can't specifically answer your question except to remind you that Pinnacle Grill serves a three flavor creme brulee that many people say is very delicious. You may wish to try it during your cruise.

I am a creme brulee fan. Won't quite say fanatic. I make it for friends for special occassions, and when I am at say Commanders Palace I have to give into temptation. The creme brulee in the Pinnacle is nice, but it is not world class. I have not had world class on any cruise. In fact, to my memory HALs was better than RCIs. I haven't been on Celebrity in so long (2000) that I don't remember it well enough to have a firm opinion. So, eat the creme brulee it is fairly small compared to say Commander's Palace(which is a full dinner plate size), and ignore the fact that the ingredients are pretty much egg yolks, cream and sugar! ;) :D Twenty years ago I ate it without hesitation. Now as I am approaching 50 I am a tad more selective. :eek:

jc

Best creme brulee I ever had? Right here in Memphis(!), at a restaurant I worked in (in an earlier life! :D ) Nice, deep ramekin, texture (which is critical in my book) just "so"...not too soft, and not too stiff....

Since then, I've made an effort to replicate that recipe...I even watched Chef making it...to no avail! I make a very presentable one, but have yet to find the combo of temp/time/eggs/cream/sugar that came out as "perfectly"! And, now having to take cholesterol medication (no relation, I'm sure!), I have to make it less often!!!

The Pinnacle offering is very good; a plate of 3 shallow ribbon-shaped offerings of 3 flavors. And, at the end of a Pinnacle meal, it's more than plenty. I just prefer a deeper ramekin, classic-style of presentation.

Probably more than you wanted to know....:)

Paul

At Brennan's in Houston. Instead of doing Creme Brulee in a deep bowl, they do their's in a relatively flat soup bowl. Therefore, the carmalized crust is much more extensive. They top this with strawberries and blueberries and it is truely magnificent:D ! It would be worth the trip from NYC to Houston:) !

At Brennan's in Houston. Instead of doing Creme Brulee in a deep bowl, they do their's in a relatively flat soup bowl. Therefore, the carmalized crust is much more extensive. They top this with strawberries and blueberries and it is truely magnificent:D ! It would be worth the trip from NYC to Houston:) !

That sounds like CP. Yum.

jc

I don't eat creme brulee so can't specifically answer your question except to remind you that Pinnacle Grill serves a three flavor creme brulee that many people say is very delicious. You may wish to try it during your cruise.

I was not planning on eating there but will have to now.

Well, as for the best in NYC, you probably should be trying out Le Cirque. It claims to be the original home of creme brulee (though there are many who will dispute this). Whether that is the case or not, the pastry chef is extraordinarily talented.

Of course, dining at Le Cirque doesn't come cheap, but so many things in life don't but are still worth doing once!

...Commander's Palace(which is a full dinner plate size), and ignore the fact that the ingredients are pretty much egg yolks, cream and sugar! ;) :D Twenty years ago I ate it without hesitation. Now as I am approaching 50 I am a tad more selective. :eek:

jc

I adore the stuff. Recently read that it had the highest fat/caloric content of any dessert. I believe it. :)

If you're in the NOLA area, check out the Creme Brulee at both The PELICAN CLUB, as well as MURIEL'S. They do a killer version from time-to-time at the BOMBAY CLUB. ;)

Best creme brulee I ever had? Right here in Memphis(!)

WHERE here in Memphis? Is the resturant still open? Is the chef still working here in Memphis? Brulee addicts need to know!!!!

(and still want to try to have Mem HAL gathering this fall?)

Now that I've cleaned the drool off of my keyboard . . . . .

I might just have to plan a special trip to Memphis :) According to Mapquest it's only 2,349.67 miles from my hometown.

I'll add Le Cirque to my list of potential restaurants while we are in NY. I've already got the Carnegie deli and cheesecake on my list for lunch one day. None of my clothes are going to fit by the time we get on the cruise ship!

I'll add that my wife isn't wildly impressed with the Pinnacle Grill's brulee and the one she's chosen as the best ever was from a now long-gone restaurant in Orlando. But we do know a number of places in San Francisco that come close should you happen to wander down the coast...:)

WHERE here in Memphis? Is the resturant still open? Is the chef still working here in Memphis? Brulee addicts need to know!!!!

Sorry...didn't mean to leave a cliff-hanger(!). Unfortunately, the Chef died a couple of years ago: Raji Jallepalli. It was her first restaurant in E. Memphis. She was a marvelously talented chef....

(and still want to try to have Mem HAL gathering this fall?)

You bet! :D

Paul

The best Creme Brulee I ever ate was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Lafayette, Louisiana. Delicious, smooth and creamy, rich and tasty, just enough carmelized sugar on top. Yum!

I'll second that. We've eaten at the Ruth's Chris in Arlington, VA overlooking National Airport, watching the planes at twilight. Mmmmmmm. About a week ago we found out there's a new RCS in Ocean City, MD, maybe a half-hour from us. Think we'll go there for our anniversary in November. :)

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but I was reading a review on the Noordam that mentioned crème brulée. I am a crème brulée fanatic. Where was the best you have ever had? How about the best in New York City (where our next cruise leaves from)?

Hello Bankerbabe:

I am an illiterate computer idiot, so my question for you is this: how were you able to spell creme brulee the correct French way, with the accent grave over the first e, and the accent aigu over the second e? I would really like to be able to spell French words properly using my keyboard. Thanks, and sorry for what must seem like a less than intelligent question.

Oh, and I like creme brulee too. My mother makes the ultimate best in the world.:)

The best Creme Brulee I ever ate was at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Delicious, smooth and creamy, rich and tasty, just enough carmelized sugar on top. Yum!

Agree with you 100% except we had it in Ruth's Chris in Palm Desert, CA. :) Dinner at Ruth's Chris anywhere is always a treat!

Hello Bankerbabe:

I am an illiterate computer idiot, so my question for you is this: how were you able to spell creme brulee the correct French way, with the accent grave over the first e, and the accent aigu over the second e? I would really like to be able to spell French words properly using my keyboard. Thanks, and sorry for what must seem like a less than intelligent question.

Oh, and I like creme brulee too. My mother makes the ultimate best in the world.

You need a bi-lingual keyboard for that, Mum!;)

We were on the 10 day Southern Caribbean "Volendam" cruise this past March. The only thing that was not 100% was the Creme Brulee in the Pinnacle Grill. The caramel was soft and not crisp. In talking with the Chef, he mention that they were not allowed to use any open flame in the kitchen!

I agree that the Pinnacle grill's Creme Brulee looks pretty but is too shallow for my taste.

David

It is way too early in the morning on the west coast to be drooling this badly over dessert :)

I think that I would agree with the Ruth's Chris assessment of crème brulée. Too bad the nearest Ruth's Chris to this little town is about two hours away.

Middle-aged Mom: you aren't computer illiterate at all, and you don't need a bilingual keyboard. I just opened Word, typed crème brulée, right clicked on the words, clicked on "language", clicked on "set language", chose "French". Then it was underlined in red indicating that it was misspelled, so I right clicked on it again and the proper spelling (with the special characters) was shown as an option and I clicked on it.

Then I highlighted the words, hit copy, alt-tabbed back to the internet, and hit control-v to paste crème brulée.

It really is simpler than it sounds, but then I'm a computer nerd at heart. :)

Middle-aged Mom: you aren't computer illiterate at all, and you don't need a bilingual keyboard. I just opened Word, typed crème brulée, right clicked on the words, clicked on "language", clicked on "set language", chose "French". Then it was underlined in red indicating that it was misspelled, so I right clicked on it again and the proper spelling (with the special characters) was shown as an option and I clicked on it.

Then I highlighted the words, hit copy, alt-tabbed back to the internet, and hit control-v to paste crème brulée.

It really is simpler than it sounds, but then I'm a computer nerd at heart. :)

Thank you very much, Bankerbabe, I'm going to save your reply for future reference. I tried to do what you described, but apparently I lack something called an "original installation source". I will ask my husband, who is the computer nerd around here, to help me out later. Appreciate your kind response!

I think it may just be simpler to make a batch of creme brulee.:)

Karin

Archived