Mercury review, Pacific Northwest 9/18 (Long)

USNDiver

Thank you all for the kind comments and I'd be pleased to cruise with any of you,

Please meet me in the Martini Bar :D

Sincerely,

Dave

To paraphrase "Top Gun", I would be pleased to cruise with you anytime, anywhere. (Well, as long as the ship isn't owned by your (ex?) employer!!). Your writing made me smile, which ain't easy on a rainy Thursday night. Here's hoping we meet up -- on a Celebrity ship -- some time soon! I'll buy the drinks, kilt or no.

Hi Karen, hoping you have a wonderful time:) ....but I don't believe

CC class receive Butler Service.

I was in CC on Summit last October and did not have a Butler.

I think they are only available to those passengers in

Suites.

Dave, thank you very much for the wonderful entertaining review. I hope I can be as clever with my review of the new century. Your review has certainly made me want to book the Mercury for my Alaska trip. I do have one question. My next cruise I will have my first ever balcony. We fully expected to book a balcony for our Alaska cruise, however I have read on these threads that perhaps you do not need a balcony on an Alaska cruise because of the weather. As I read you post I realize that you enjoy a balcony and will probably always have one. But is it as functional in Alaska as it is in a warmer climate. Thanks again for a great review.

Roe

That's a tough call. We were in Northern waters sure, but on the Southern tip of Alaska (Prince Rupert) where the weather's not so harsh. Here's my thought on the subject, if you get enough good weather to spend one day of the cruise on your balcony, it's money well spent. We also enjoyed sleeping with the door cracked open - slept like babies.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Dave

To paraphrase "Top Gun", I would be pleased to cruise with you anytime, anywhere. (Well, as long as the ship isn't owned by your (ex?) employer!!). Your writing made me smile, which ain't easy on a rainy Thursday night. Here's hoping we meet up -- on a Celebrity ship -- some time soon! I'll buy the drinks, kilt or no.

Cheers!!! :D

Dave:

Great review. I sure wish I had your gift with words.

We frequently travel with a former Navy man who also likes to wear a kilt. It sure impresses a lot of people who also like to dress up. I hope you cruise more often so we can read more of your cruise experiences.

Dave:

Great review. I sure wish I had your gift with words.

We frequently travel with a former Navy man who also likes to wear a kilt. It sure impresses a lot of people who also like to dress up. I hope you cruise more often so we can read more of your cruise experiences.

Small world. On our cruise there was a former Navy man (with his former Navy Wife) in a kilt. I spoke with them a few times (wonderful couple) but I can't remember his name.

Thanks for the nice words,

Dave

Some of the waiters on Celebrity will do magic tricks and once I had a rose made from a paper napkin. It was really very nice and made me feel special. I hope all your days on Mercury were good ones. It was our first Celebrity ship and still our favorite. Pat

Thanks for a great review. Thank you for answering my activity question. Sounds like there will be plenty to keep people busy. I can't wait to get on board.

slotaddict - balcony's are most popular in Alaska. There is always land to see. If you are able to get a balcony I would say go for it!!!

Nilla,

Don't despair, I've still got one page to write (though I'm sure people are tired of reading this.) I'm almost certain I saw karaoke offered at one point but I'll check the newsletters later and check for certain.

Thanks again for the nice words,

Dave

Nilla (hope you get this)

I checked the Ship's newlestter and karaoke was offerred two or three times (family, group, solo etc.) Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dave

Hey Dave thaks so much for checking that out for me. One of my girlfriends loves to Karaoke so I am hoping we can fit that in to everything else we want to do.

Thanks again for your wonderful review, it made me even more excited for next Friday to get here! If the price drops you and the wife shoudl come join us on our cruise!:p

Hey Dave thaks so much for checking that out for me. One of my girlfriends loves to Karaoke so I am hoping we can fit that in to everything else we want to do.

Thanks again for your wonderful review, it made me even more excited for next Friday to get here! If the price drops you and the wife shoudl come join us on our cruise!:p

You have no idea how much I'd like too. I have this fantasy going that some Big Wig from Celebrity will read my review and say "Hmmmm, nice review, that man deserves a free cruise" (that's about the time I wake up:( ) Now that I know what nice people inhabit this board, I can see myself planning cruises with others like yourself.

You WILL have a great cruise!!

You WILL drink Martini's!!

You WILL write a report afterwards!!

Carry on.

With warmest regards,

Dave

Dave – Well I’ll be…my long lost 3rd cousin! Welcome to CruiseCritic. I posted my first review (45,000 words) in August of 2002, and I must warn you – it is an addiction almost as powerful as cruising itself. From what I see, you are at risk. Be careful…

Actually, this is a good way of prolonging the fun. I’ve learned to space a single review out over a 12-18 month period just to squeeze every last bit of enjoyment out of a trip. Perhaps we should take the same cruise and alternate chapters in a review – we could stave off carpal tunnel syndrome that way. Good luck, and keep ‘em coming.

All the best,

chesterh

AWWW Dave I will take your words and follow your orders!:p I am not sure I can write as great a review as you did but I will try just for you! Now I am sure I am not the only one but when oh when are you going to post some pictures of you in your kilt, and your wife in her beautiful dress!

Dave: Thanks so much for the great review....we were on the Millie in 2003 and also loved the Martini Bar! We're doing the Mexican Reviera Jan. 8th on the Mercury and would love to have you along to show us the way!! Please post your review on the review board..it was wonderful!

Gayle from Montana

Dave: Thanks so much for the great review....we were on the Millie in 2003 and also loved the Martini Bar! We're doing the Mexican Reviera Jan. 8th on the Mercury and would love to have you along to show us the way!! Please post your review on the review board..it was wonderful!

Gayle from Montana

Gayle,

Thank you for the compliment, very kind of you. I submitted the review yesterday so it will get posted eventually (I guess there's a big back log.)

Enjoy the cruise!!

Dave

enjoyed your review and concurr with the positives of the mercury....I have to add several comments; we were at the early seating and in the dining room there was a group of about 65 mentally challenged adults; I marvelled at the attention and the care they were given by their waiters; other than looking "different" they were well behaved and seemed to have a wonderful time......i thought how wonderful that anyone could have the opportunity to enjoy one of lifes' pleasures. On a more negative note, next to our table was a table for 10 consisting of perhaps 6 younger adults sharing the same service staff as we were, they were given great attention even though they arrived late every nite.......BUT....never showed up the last nite for dinner ( gratuity nite).....I asked our waiter if that happened often, where people avoided showing up so that they wouldnt have to tip; unfortunately he replied " more often than you would guess". I know that having the gratuities billed to your acct is an option for the passenger, I think it should be mandatory as several other lines do. you do receive vouchers which you give to the staff; we put them in individual envelopes w additional cash and, they are well received. as to a precruise in seattle, we stayed at the marriot waterfront ( across from the pier) and it was great having the valet walk our luggage across to the pier..........all in all, it was a great experience and..........the Mercury has fabulous broadway shows ( even better than our favorite cruiseline "crystal").....this trip is a tremendous value!!!!!:)

enjoyed your review and concurr with the positives of the mercury....I have to add several comments; we were at the early seating and in the dining room there was a group of about 65 mentally challenged adults; I marvelled at the attention and the care they were given by their waiters; other than looking "different" they were well behaved and seemed to have a wonderful time......i thought how wonderful that anyone could have the opportunity to enjoy one of lifes' pleasures. On a more negative note, next to our table was a table for 10 consisting of perhaps 6 younger adults sharing the same service staff as we were, they were given great attention even though they arrived late every nite.......BUT....never showed up the last nite for dinner ( gratuity nite).....I asked our waiter if that happened often, where people avoided showing up so that they wouldnt have to tip; unfortunately he replied " more often than you would guess". I know that having the gratuities billed to your acct is an option for the passenger, I think it should be mandatory as several other lines do. you do receive vouchers which you give to the staff; we put them in individual envelopes w additional cash and, they are well received. as to a precruise in seattle, we stayed at the marriot waterfront ( across from the pier) and it was great having the valet walk our luggage across to the pier..........all in all, it was a great experience and..........the Mercury has fabulous broadway shows ( even better than our favorite cruiseline "crystal").....this trip is a tremendous value!!!!!:)

Maven,

I think you are the first person from my (our) cruise to comment on my review (thank you.) Shame on me for not mentioning the care that the staff showed our 65 special cruisemates. My Wife and I concur with you 100%! Where exactly were you seated at dinner? I think I saw the table with the "young adults" at it you mentioned, and noticed the same pattern.

Sincerely,

Dave

Dave, loved your review. DH and I cruised last week, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, too. I spent more time in Cova and the Champagne Bar drinking Champagne Cocktails. Booked another 4 nighter for next October, we had so much fun.

Dave,

Nice writing. And this from someone who gets paid to do it. Wish you were on one of our cruises, if for no other reason than you know your way around a toddy.:)

Not that it matters, but we're booked on Mercury next Fall--on a repo cruise from Vancouver to LA. That's after Summit this November, Century next March, and Tahitian Princess in July. Yes, we do have our ducks, er cruises, in a row. But ya got any better ideas?

Just want to join the ranks and tell you I absolutely loved reading your review! We cruise on the Mercury next year, and we are so looking forward to it! First time with a balcony, in Concierge class, and to ALASKA! I promise to have a martini for you!

Like your last post read, I have seen many posts about this ship, and mostly all pointed away from this ship. I have learned that while everyone is entitled to their opinion, most have to be taken very lightly. I always try to focus on what is right, what is fun, and what is an adventure - and not focus on what could be wrong. We plan and wait for each cruise, and refuse to have anything get in the way of a great trip! Not a little dirt, or porrly dressed people, or hurricanes, or rain! All are part of what makes my trip memorable.

I'll be looking for your future postings....and thanks again for the time and thought you put into this review!

Happy sailing!

Dave,

Nice writing. And this from someone who gets paid to do it. Wish you were on one of our cruises, if for no other reason than you know your way around a toddy.:)

Not that it matters, but we're booked on Mercury next Fall--on a repo cruise from Vancouver to LA. That's after Summit this November, Century next March, and Tahitian Princess in July. Yes, we do have our ducks, er cruises, in a row. But ya got any better ideas?

What could be better than a cruise line-up like that? Though this was only my 3rd cruise, I can see myself doing many more (I think half the fun was writing about it!) That repo cruise is going to be beautiful, might have to look into that. Not nosy, just curious, what type of writing do you do?

Sincerely,

Dave

Dave:

Just wanted to add my kudos for a wonderful review. It was so refreshing and kept me on "the edge of my seat" waiting for the next installment. Just like reading a really good book!

We'll be on the Mercury next year, so I had a special interest. Thanks again!

Dave -

Thanks so much for the great great review! I think we are very similare cruisers in that we enjoy the total experience and don't focus on the small stuff (carpet, furniture etc) In reading other reviews I'd swear that Mercury was ready to sink but you've convinced me that I made the right decision for next June!

Thank you again and damn you for making me realize what a long time I have left!;) :D

Archived