On Deck for the Cure

gwhizma

We recently took our first cruise with HAL and was delighted to see they sponsored a cancer walk. For a donation of $25.00 you receive a T Shirt and a wrist band. There were some fantastic people walking, people rangeing from cancer survivors themselves to people who have lost a loved one due to cancer and of all us different ages. It felt good to do for someone else. What a great activity. Thank you HAL.

thanks for your thoughts. i plan to do the walk on my next cruise oct 14. think it is a great thing

Hello ardfinnantoo,

I was reviewing the other threads when I can upon this one and saw your interest in the Oct 14th sailing.

We are also sailing on the Oct 14th on the Noordam. Are you also sailing onboard the Noordam out of NYC?

I am contacting you because I am not aware if you know that there is a Roll Call for this cruise in progress on the below thread. Speakertosuits (Bob) is the Roll Call leader and is organizing the listing of the 50+ CC'ers going on this cruise and also is organizing a Meet & Greet on the ship.

You are welcome to review this thread and join us if you wish.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=292262&page=9

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi gwhizma,

We are going on the October 14th cruise on the Noordam and also thinking of participating in this event.

My wife is a Breast Cancer Survivor of 5 years and doing GREAT. We have in the past supported many of these walks and will see the details they place in the Daily Programme once onboard.

Thank you for bring this event up.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

We did the On Deck Walk for the Cure in August on Maasdam. It was fabulous and we certainly intend to do it every time we are aboard that it is organized.

Captain Arjen van der Loo led us and I think there was a group of close to 50 or so. We were thrilled we did it.

We just got off the Westerdam last Sunday and my friend Fran (who lost her Mother just before we left) and I did the walk and we loved it. The weather for our whole cruise had been rainy and overcast and the morning we did the walk the clouds parted and the Sun came out. At the end of the walk, they took a group picture and told us that we had raised over $2,000 dollars. I hope they keep the program going.

Vie Lee

Several memebers of our group cruise is doing this!!!

As my Mom is a cancer survivor 2 times, I will be joining this walk as well! We never know what our future will hold for us, but giving a little now will help alot in the here and now, and in the future!

Bless all of you who have or will share a little money and time for this cause!:D

My husband and I will be on the Noordam in November and plan on participating. My mother and sister are both survivors.

I'm not in good enough shape for that much walking - will they will let me go as far as I am able? :o

Connie and Joe

My husband and I will be on the Noordam in November and plan on participating. My mother and sister are both survivors.

I'm not in good enough shape for that much walking - will they will let me go as far as I am able? :o

I'm sure you can walk the whole "trail", or just once around the deck...or not even walk at all! :) I doubt that anyone will "keep score", and your contribution of time & money is more important that your "track" record!

I'll be "trying" on Ziggy's group in Oct. as well!

Smooth sailing,

Paul

Yes of course you can walk as far as you want. We saw people with walkers and wheelchairs. Just go as far as is comfortable for you. It is a great event to be part of. Congratulations to all you survivors. We pray you stay cancer free!

I really need to chime in with the others to say there were people who joined our walk and could not quite make it around one lap....Didn't matter at all. Everyone was very supportive and friendly and had a wonderful time.

Hotel Manager Simon de Boer and Captain van der Loo stressed that no one should feel they need to walk any further than is comfortable for them.

Everyone is appreciative for all efforts that people put forth.

eslo

thanks for the information but we are sailing out of fort lauderdale oct. 14.

i am glad they have the walk on all ships. this is my first cruise since finishing the treatments for breast cancer the end of april. must say i am counting the the days till the cruise. ti will be a nice time of year.

enjoy your cruise from new york

lynda

john

you made nervouse that it wasn't on all ships. i called ships services to make sure it was on mine and they said yes. i then asked about all ships and they said that it is now on all ships. don't know when that started. also sometimes i have gotten different answers to the same question. maybe some who knows who to call that would clear it up..

lynda

john

you made nervouse that it wasn't on all ships. i called ships services to make sure it was on mine and they said yes. i then asked about all ships and they said that it is now on all ships. don't know when that started. also sometimes i have gotten different answers to the same question. maybe some who knows who to call that would clear it up..

lynda

That's great to hear Lynda, thanks! Can't do enough for that cause!!

cruisinnana

isn't it wonderful to have all that behind us?

hope you enjoy your cruise as much as i plan to enjoy mine

happy sailing.

lynda

ardfinnantoo...Lynda....Oh yes, it is wonderful to have all that in the past. I missed a cruise last year as a result of the medical "discovery" and that just added to the upsetting time in my life. I plan to make up for lost time on this upcoming cruise! Happy, Healthy cruising to you, too!

Diane

eslo

thanks for the information but we are sailing out of fort lauderdale oct. 14.

i am glad they have the walk on all ships. this is my first cruise since finishing the treatments for breast cancer the end of april. must say i am counting the the days till the cruise. ti will be a nice time of year.

enjoy your cruise from new york

lynda

Dear lynda,

Thank you for your response. Yes, we are out of NYC. Didn't know about the Florida cruise.

Which ship are you on? Maybe we will pass each other in the Sunshine & Sunset in the Caribbean. Also, Enjoy Your Cruise!

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

I've done 1 Walk

wonderful feeling when you take part in an activity designed to help others:)

it's also great fun:D

walk at your own pace, as much or as little as you are physically able

one of the highlights: knowing the thanks you receive at the end is so genuine from the entire crew:):)

I've done 1 Walk

wonderful feeling when you take part in an activity designed to help others:)

it's also great fun:D

walk at your own pace, as much or as little as you are physically able

one of the highlights: knowing the thanks you receive at the end is so genuine from the entire crew:):)

You know, Sea King......That is something I noticed, as well.

When we first joined up, The Cruise Director, Captain and Hotel Manager all were thanking all of us for signing up.

We did our walk and everyone was so friendly and happy and it was a wonderful time.

Again, The Captain and HM and CD were very effusive in their thanks. It really caught my attention how involved and dedicated they are to this cause. It REALLY meant a lot to them that we got up a bit early, on a not so pretty day and did the walk. They are committed to raising as much money and awareness as possible.

I brought home our T-shirts and the pink wrist bands.

If we see the Walk offered on Noordam, we will be the first to sign up for it.

Archived