Differences in champagne

djm719

Is there much of a difference between the Korbel Brut and the Mumm Cordon Rouge champagnes that come with the strawberries? I'm not a real big champagne drinker but I noticed there is a $30 difference in price. Is it worth the extra 30 bucks?

The biggest difference is the fact that while Korbel is made using the "champange" method, it is a "sparkling wine" and not champange after all. I believe that to be considered a true champagne the wine must come from the Champagne region of France - all others are pretenders.

That said, it really comes down to personal preference and most people find the Korbel to be more than acceptable.

Personally - I lean more to Veuve Clicquot or Pommery - both are relatively inexpensive and quite nice champagnes.

Hi djm719

As diceboy says Korbel Brut is made using the 'champagne' method and therefore, is not classed as true champagne nor should not be advertised as such as it must come from the northern French region of Champagne.

I prefer Veuve Cliquot but is very expensive on RCI (I believe I paid $75 + gratuity) on Mariner in 2004! For sailaway I'd probably order the Korbel and strawberries, but for my birthday it'll have to be Veuve Cliquot at the dining table in just over 3 weeks time of Freedom!

I have seen that there is Argyle sparkling wine [not champagne!] from Oregon on the wine/dine package - I have never heard of this - but have had many good Oregon wines - appreciate comments on how this one stacks up against the Korbel please!

We tried it on Jewel, and were not overly impressed. It was a non-vintage sparkling wine and did not really suit our paletes The Korbel was better, but we tend to like the Mumm Cordon Rouge the best. (It's a bit more expensive, but a better value based on the mark up from on-shore retail prices in our area.) BTW, Argyle does make some excellent Pinot Noirs if you like that varietal. I don't think they are available on RCI.

Just a thought to keep in mind. While it is true that only sparkling wines made in the Champagne region of France can be called champagne, it is no guarantee of quality. There are some pretty lousy true champagnes and some truly excellent sparkling wines. And don't forget Spanish or Italian sparklers. There are some really good ones at very reasonable prices.

Bottom line is that you should always drink what you like, not what costs more or what other people say you should like or what the "it" wine of the year might be. You'll be fine with the Korbel because you aren't a big champagne drinker anyway.

beachchick

You'll be fine with the Korbel because you aren't a big champagne drinker anyway.

beachchick

How do you know?! Actually I am a very frequent 'sparkling wine' drinker - especially the Australian sparking wines which are fantastic - and I agree with you about some poor quality true French champagnes - give me a bottle of 'Yellow', 'Cockatoo Ridge' or 'Redbank Emily' any day over Moet et Chandon!!!!

Is there much of a difference between the Korbel Brut and the Mumm Cordon Rouge champagnes that come with the strawberries? I'm not a real big champagne drinker but I noticed there is a $30 difference in price. Is it worth the extra 30 bucks?

The Korbel is quite a lower quality champagne.

For my $$, and in order to avoid a headache, I always stick with the better alcohol....

Your pallette might not be able to discern the difference (which I highly doubt) but your head will know the difference.

Since the champagnes are reasonably priced on land, why not chill a bottle of each, grab some strawberries, and invite some friends over and have yourself a taste test?

I can agree with the post on better alcohol for not getting a headache. If I were going to drink any amount of alcohol I definatly opt for top shelf. I'm not an expert on champagne at all, but totally agree on drinking higher quality booze if you don't want a headache the next day! I never just order vodka "anything" without an Absolut or Grey Goose in front of it.

First 'Champagne' from the region of the same name in France IS a sparkling wine. The two differences between a sparkling wine and a champagne is the region it is produced, and the method.

You can get some good sparkling wines from Champagne France, and some pretty bad ones, it depends on the season just like regular wines.

The true champagnes/sparkling wines are fermented in the bottle 'Methode Champaigne'...then there are those that are injected with co2, like sodas.

So basically the difference is: you can get a good vintage either imported from France, or made here right in the good USA, or you can get a crappy vintage from France as well as a crappy one from here.

Regadless, it is all SPARKLING WINE. Just as Perrier is a sparkling water, you don't call all sparkling water Perrier.....

FYI: with our contempary society and the way language changes.....you can call a sparkling wine ..Champagne. It is perfectly acceptable.

BTW: If I want to get around a Vodka headache...I order a potato vodka, not a grain based vodka like Absolut or grey goose. But if you have to order a less pricey make, make sure it has been filtered 4 or five times. Some of the cheaper spirits are filtered more than some of the 'Trendy' ones and will give you less after effects; unless of course you are just chasing the popular brand of the day.

Cheers!

Dave:eek:

A good potato vodka is Ciroc! My alergist actually recommended it to me. LOL It is a bit pricey though. The stuff you can learn on a cruise board huh?

I often order Absolut because they don't have Skyy and it's better than well, but I'm not generally a fan of Absolut, and I agree that Grey Goose is a more trendy vodka, but it does taste pretty smooth. My first choice is actually Belvedere or Chopin if price isn't an issue. But the Skyy is distilled over four times and that is why I stick with it.

You'll be fine with the Korbel because you aren't a big champagne drinker anyway.

beachchick

How do you know?! Actually I am a very frequent 'sparkling wine' drinker - especially the Australian sparking wines which are fantastic.

The original poster said he/she wasn't a big champagne drinker, and I believe that is to whom beachchick addressed her comment.

You'll be fine with the Korbel because you aren't a big champagne drinker anyway. beachchick

I dunnno bout that..... Dont you think someone whom is not used to drinking champagne would suffer more at the hands of Korbel than a more expensive and better bottle of champagne?

Seems like one or two glasses of a cheapie might send them right straight into a champagne headache while one or two glasses of a better quality champagne would have no ill effects to speak of....

just be cautious because champagne, when not administered properly, can ruin your evening early....:D

They sell it at finer liquor retailers...most of them are in the California area

If you do a search you might find a local retailer near you...Or take a cruise on X sometime if they don't discontinue it as it seems that RCCL has been doing a lot of cutting from X's budget the last couple of years.

Dave:eek:

Yes I stand corrected! My family has a history of celiac disease, I however don't have it. But my alergist recommended the Ciroc over the potato or the grain vodka BECAUSE it was made from the grape. It was certainly expensive. I think like $32 for a small bottle.

There is now a California grape based vodka, called Roth it is in a frosted square bottle with red and black lettering. I sell it in the state of Illinois, do not know if it is available nationwide yet. However it is about $6 a bottle cheaper than ciroc and I can't taste any major difference

How do you know?! Actually I am a very frequent 'sparkling wine' drinker - especially the Australian sparking wines which are fantastic - and I agree with you about some poor quality true French champagnes - give me a bottle of 'Yellow', 'Cockatoo Ridge' or 'Redbank Emily' any day over Moet et Chandon!!!!

Sorry. I was responding to the OP, who specifically said "not a big champagne drinker." I should have addressed the post more clearly.

beachchick

I dunnno bout that..... Dont you think someone whom is not used to drinking champagne would suffer more at the hands of Korbel than a more expensive and better bottle of champagne?

Seems like one or two glasses of a cheapie might send them right straight into a champagne headache while one or two glasses of a better quality champagne would have no ill effects to speak of....

just be cautious because champagne, when not administered properly, can ruin your evening early....:D

No, I don't necessarily think so. My mother is "not a big champagne drinker" and would be unable to appreciate the real differences. If the OP is only going to drink it for the whole "sailaway romance" effect, then I think it may not matter that much. Although, I can't disagree about the issue of the champagne headache. For the OP though, a glass at sailaway may not be worth the $30 difference. Personally, I wouldn't drink Korbel because I don't like it. I'm afraid that my tastes lean toward more refined bruts or blanc de noirs (the costly ones which I can only afford for a treat, darn it). For "everyday" drinking I do like some of the sparlking wines from Spain, Italy, or Australia (forgot about those yesterday), which are perfectly fine and perfectly in the budget.

beachchick

The Korbel is quite a lower quality champagne.

For my $$, and in order to avoid a headache, I always stick with the better alcohol....

Your pallette might not be able to discern the difference (which I highly doubt) but your head will know the difference.

Since the champagnes are reasonably priced on land, why not chill a bottle of each, grab some strawberries, and invite some friends over and have yourself a taste test?

Now that is a truly excellent idea.

beachchick

Archived