Change of itinerary

Not sure which port you're referring to, but I know that RCCL will change ports based on a lot of things - customer feedback, local conditions, weather, etc. I'd also guess that it comes down to economics, too!

Several years ago, we cruised the Monarch of the Seas from San Juan (when this was a newer ship) and it included a stop in Martinique from noon to 5 PM. While I'm sure this is a beautiful island, there were lots of complaints about the locals being "indifferent" to tourists. When you went into the shops, the people were not friendly at all - in any of the stores. Well, a few months later, Martinique was replaced by a stop in St. Lucia.

Hopefully, whatever port they've cancelled will be replaced by something else, and it will be equally as good or even better. Enjoy your trip!

I was in Ajaccio with Brilliance just 2 weeks ago, it is a very nice port, but it was tender service. The port referred to as provence, is marseille, and the pier is a 15 min busride from marseille, and Marseille is not compareable to cosy Ajaccio. If you go on an arranged tour, you migth see some of provence landscape and small towns, but i think Corsica Ajaccio was a better port than Marseille. In 2004 the changed from malta to Marseille, and most people were not happy with that decision. Are you also aware of the extra tax you have to pay onboard when the ship cruise within European Boundaries? 7% extra everything consumed on board, and 14 % on everything else bougth ship's shops. I wonder which of the european countries that benefit from this tax onboard?

Thanks for the additional information about the cancellation policies as they affect UK cruisers. I regret that I missed the fact that the OP is located in the UK and so my comments about the refund policy completely missed the mark.

I am interested though in whether or not the no refund policy is something unique to RCI or applies to all cruise lines? It seems very unfair but without knowing who is responsible for this policy, it is difficult to assign blame.

On the other dates for this Med Treasures cruise....Corsica has been replaced with Livorno.....:( If I wanted to go to Livorno I would have picked the Italian Med one.

With reference to sbtagent' post with regard extra taxes.....I dont think this applies to the Navigator sailings as she sails from Southampton.

It appears from what I have read on here...that the extra taxes are only applied if a ship starts from Barcelona....its something to do with the Spanish tax rules now in place.

Very confusing and annoying :(

as they affect UK cruisers. .... ..... I am interested though in whether or not the no refund policy is something unique to RCI or applies to all cruise lines?

When we sailed on Princess this past summer to Scandinavia many UK passengers voiced complaints regarding booking procedures that favored US guests.

Bill :D

With regard to your question about losing deposits for UK pax.....it applies to all cruiselines for us in the UK.

RCCI UK/Europe looked into changing this policy recently...but alas their hands are tied so to speak. To make a change in the policy would cause an enormous upheaval within the Travel Industry here in UK.

daffodil

The "free" cancellation does NOT apply to us here in the UK....unless you booked with a US TA.

If you cancel...you lose your deposit.

Now that is crummy!! I can see why Daff is so upset, now I understand. I was unaware that 1) daff was posting from UK. and 2) that the deposit would be lost!

It is true adn a fact that RCI has that disclaimer that states that itinaraies can change and to 'check before you book'...problem is like this (and what happened to us in Alsaka) what happens if they change it after you book...or worse while onboard:eek: ...and sadly for daff..it seems that port is nowhere on RCI website now...have they removed it all together for some reason, I wonder? Daff or others in the know about UK bookings, will they let you apply your deposit to another sailing (doesnt appluy to me..Im in TX, but I wonder)...i guess even that doesnt help if the port is not offered anymore...still, its a wonderfull itinarary!

I hope RCI isn't listening, because we love Jamaica in all her aspects!!!

I hope they are listening because they will know that there are plenty of us out here that LOVE Jamaica. I would be hard pressed to book a Western Caribbean sailing if it did not include Jamaica and preferably Ocho Rios over Montego Bay.

Parrothead

To change to another sailing we are charged a fee....unlike the US where you can make all sorts of changes...we here in UK have to pay for every change made...hence why in the past I have used US TA's

Liz, I cant believe that! That does not seem right...you should move here to the US:p ;) :D ...of course there in the UK you get that pretty accent;)

Seriously...I had no idea that the travel rules were so strict...is that only for cruising or is it for, say, airline/ or rail travel also?...hotel/resorts?

wow.

With regard to your question about losing deposits for UK pax.....it applies to all cruiselines for us in the UK.

RCCI UK/Europe looked into changing this policy recently...but alas their hands are tied so to speak. To make a change in the policy would cause an enormous upheaval within the Travel Industry here in UK.

Thanks- at least we know who the villain in the piece is and apparently it is not RCI or the other cruiselines. Seems a bit shortsighted on the part of the UK Travel Industry, especially in this day of the internet when their customers have access to information from the US and elsewhere. Perhaps if they lose business to US travel agents they will see the error of their ways, although the cynic in me says that they will attempt to foreclose your ability to book through US agents instead.:rolleyes:

Parrothead :D

I am not sure how it works with other travel bookings....these last few years I only cruise :D

Its funny but RCCI UK/Europe phoned me recently and asked why did I use a US TA....and I told them because US TA's have different rules and they dont penalise their clients for changes.The US system is more "friendly" and more caring and understanding.....mmm dont think that went down well with them.

I think maybe someday in the not too distant future they wont let us book with TA outside the UK...but until then....my £££'s go to the USA.;)

Hello Daffodil, We Are Booked On A Transatlantic Cruise On The Legend. Where Supposed To Go To Corsica And Rome. Itinery Was Changed To Tangiers, Marocco & Barcelona. We Thought Marocco Wasn't Too Bad An Exchange But Barcelona For Rome, No Contest. Too Many Cruisers Threatent To Cancel So Our Travel Agent Is Flying Us From Barcelona To Rome.

Ortrud

Its funny but RCCI UK/Europe phoned me recently and asked why did I use a US TA....and I told them because US TA's have different rules and they dont penalise their clients for changes.The US system is more "friendly" and more caring and understanding.....mmm dont think that went down well with them.

I think maybe someday in the not too distant future they wont let us book with TA outside the UK...but until then....my £££'s go to the USA.;)

Liz, I hope you are wrong, but I'm afraid that your scenario is more likely than the one where they realize that they are doing things the wrong way and would be better off adopting the US policies. :rolleyes: In the meantime, I am sure your US based agent appreciates your business.:)

In the meantime, keep cruising and enjoy your time at sea. Perhaps, someday our paths will cross onboard a ship.:)

Ortrud - We booked the Splendour transatlantic 4 Dec 2007 from Lisbon to South America. Originally supposed to make 3 stops in Morocco including Tangiers & Casablanca. The itinerary was changed recently replacing all 3 Morrocco stops with Funchal, the Canary Islands and Cape Verde. The South American ports are still the same. I find it interesting they switched you to Morocco and us from there to other ports. I sent a email asking why, but don't really expect an answer.

The itinerary in the web site says provence because it has been changed! The brochure lists,quite clearly,Ajaccio Corsica, and this is what I booked.

Daff

You're 100% right, the brochures says Corsica, website says Provence. Sorry for my mistake not checking the brochure too.

Sheik, Thanks for coming back and confirming what I've been saying. I feel this cruise has now been devalued and I don't see why they should be able to advertise one thing, take our money and then offer us something inferior. I'm interested to know what trading standards think about this.

daff.

Daffodil

There is no point at all in taking it to Trading Standards....if you read the small print in the RCCI brochure you will see ..they can change the ports whenever they like.

This change in ports might be for various reasons....health/safety/pier issues/any number of reasons....and sorry but RCCI doesnt have to explain why.

I know it is upsetting and rather annoying...but sadly there isnt anything you can do about it. You can of course cancel...and lose your deposit....or just look for the good things to see and do in the new port.

You are going on a lovely ship (we have already been on her)...with so much to do on her...and still such a great itinerary...and you will no doubt make a lot of great new friends and will have a fantastic time :D

I know when I go on my cruise on the Navigator in Sept 07....I will be happy in whatever ports we go to..ok...(as long as we get to Villefranche hahaha)

Happy cruising

I am also one of those booked on the TransAtlantic on the Legend next April -- with ORTRUD -- difference being I'd booked directly with RCL so no airfare to Rome from Barcelona being offered.

The thing about this sailing was they not only changed a port of call from Corsica to Morocco but changed the DISTINATION port from Rome to Barcelona. They offered NO compensation or OBC since they said it was a "minor" change -- I certainly do not agree that ending up in a completely different COUNTRY than was originally scheduled is a "minor" change.

I will most likely be cancelling this cruise, just been too lazy to do so yet.

You are within plenty time to cancel with a full refund if that is what you wish.

Unfortunately this is not an option for UK cruisers once we have paid our deposit of £200.00 thats it we cannot cancel without losing the money or if we change itineraries they charge us another £40.00.

I have two cruises booked at present and both have had changes made. On one two ports have been changed and on the other the arrival and departure port change.

my thanks to everyone for all the informative comments. I fear we'll have to accept it or lose our deposit. Seems they can do as they wish with us.

If I bought something on the high st and found it not what I was paying for ,I'd expect some recompense,not so with cruise lines it seems.

daff

If you wait another couple of months--maybe they will change it to something better. I don't believe it is an arbitrary change--it is seems to be due to problems within a country-political unrest, issues with a pier, countries or ports not wanting so many cruise ships etc. When I read the newer brochures I thought Corsica sounded good. So the options seem to be cancel and pay, change and pay or go with the flow and try to enjoy. Perhaps there is a reason that the universe needs you in a different port that day...

Archived