AMEX Platinum Amenities question

amusea

I was just checking the Amex Plat. amenities for 2007 that are listed on the Amex site. Here is the rundown for Holland America:

Exclusive Amenities

Two-category upgrade on outside staterooms or $300 per suite shipboard credit

Complimentary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (available first night only)

Welcome bottle of champagne

My question is whether the $300. credit has always been for just suites. Amex distinguishes the suite/stateroom category since on Crystal it is listed as a $300. stateroom credit. But for HAL it also states two category stateroom upgrade or the $300. suite credit. Quite confusing. Because the cruise I have booked is very long and very expensive. I am hoping that the credit will apply to regular outside staterooms. Can anyone clarify this?

The $300 shipboard credit has always only applied to Suites in the past and, presumably, still does.

What cannot be presumed, at this point......is that the new contract has yet been executed.

I know you quote the language but that is the same as it has been for years.

I do not yet have confirmation the new contract is in effect.

I'm still waiting to find out for sure that new bookings are getting an HAL Confirmation that states AmEx Platinum benefits apply. I have not yet gotten one for any of our cruises past our January one. ( We got that because we booked the cruise so long ago, they put it in the confirmation 'assuming' the renewal. ) We have not gotten it for either of our June cruises nor our November cruise.

But for my December 2007 one it is in writing from AmEx.

The confirmation that is required is from HAL.....not AmEx. It is HAL which credits the $150 pp (maximum $300) toward the shipboard bill; not AmEx.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this applies to UK Amex card holders.

Thanks.

I think the AmEx Platinum card is available internationally, not just the U.S.

It is the card that carries the membership fee of something like $400 (DH pays it and I don't know the exact membership fee). If you have that AmEx Platinum card, I would think it wouldn't matter if in the UK or Canada or U.S. The shipboard credit is one of the benefits to that card's membership.......when/if the new contract is signed by HAL and AmEx.

We have always gotten it for any cabin on Crystal and at least for Cat. B and above on HAL. As you probably know, you can get the credit for multiple cabins on the same cruise as long as you are paying for them with your Amex Platinum. I think our record one year was $2800 in credits with the card. Great return on a $395 cost.

Gary

I just got an offer from Hilton for the Hilton Honors American Express Platinum card, It carries NO ANNUAL FEE. Would anyone know if it also "inspires" HAL to offer the $300 credit? I did not see anything about it in the solicitation....just perks with Hilton.

I just got an offer from Hilton for the Hilton Honors American Express Platinum card, It carries NO ANNUAL FEE. Would anyone know if it also "inspires" HAL to offer the $300 credit? I did not see anything about it in the solicitation....just perks with Hilton.

I don't know if it is like the Costco American Express Platinum Card, but if it is, the card does not give membership miles or all the extra amenities.

Sorry but, it does not qualify. The only plat card that qualifies is strickly Amex, the one that cost $400 or so. Any Amex Plat that are through Hilton, Costco or any other hotel or business does not qualify.

So far as I can tell, they aren't accepting any AmEx for the shipboard credit for any bookings being made at this moment. No one has yet shown confirmation that contract has been renewed, have they?

We are awaiting confirmation for us to get the credits for cruises we recently booked. Still being told the contract has not been signed.

I sail in a few weeks and got confirmation about my credits. I dont know if my TA got it from Hal or Amex. She deals with both. I do have a confirmation number and was told that it is 200pp per cruise. We are in a suite. I dont know where the 200 amount came from, but who am I to argue? I will find out when I sail and keep those on the board posted.

I did have some credit from Hal due to when I booked, this may be combined total. I have never figured out how to make it work before and thanks to the kind people on this board I really followed it up this time.

I also have confirmation for the credits for our January cruise. We booked it long ago and the confirmation for the shipboard credit was included on our original HAL booking. We booked three cruises after the Noordam one and are waiting to see if that contract will be renewed and if we will get the $150 pp for those cruises. We are also in "S" for all of the booked cruises.

The AmEx credit must have been combined with some other credit for you to be getting $200. Enjoy it wherever it came from.

Have a great cruise.

Sail,

I am confused---I answered you several weeks ago with the confirmation of SBC---but here it is again--

I recieved SBC on Noordam 2 months ago and have SBC for the Rotterdam in 3 weeks--

FRANK

Holland America Line

Wondrous destinations and dazzling onboard experiences blend classically aboard Holland America Line, one of the highest-rated premium cruise lines in Travel + Leisure's 2004 "World's Best" Awards. Sail stylishly throughout the world on these spacious, refined mid-sized ships. Savor a diverse choice in dining, including the Pinnacle Grill. Be pampered in your plush accommodations, in the Greenhouse Spa or in the new Explorations Cafe - powered by The New York Times.

Exclusive Amenities

Two-category upgrade on outside staterooms or $300 per suite shipboard credit

Complimentary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (available first night only)

Welcome bottle of champagne

Cruise Destinations

Alaska, Asia Pacific, Canada & New England, Caribbean, Europe, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America, World Cruise

Those are cruises in 2006. The contract has not been renewed for 2007.

I have a Confirmation from HAL for our January 2007 Noordam cruise. We booked it very long ago and they issued our confirmation in anticpation of the contract renewal, I have to assume/presume. They will not issue a confirmation for Shipboard Credit for the three other cruises we have booked for 2007....Yet.

This is very confusing---

in 06 the perks were $300 SBC for S suites only----

Now there is a new wording---2 cat upgrades for outside cabins and $300 sbc for suites which are balconies--

with this difference of wording effective a couple months ago--you would assume that something is different,alas a new contract--hope so--

FRANK

This is very confusing---

in 06 the perks were $300 SBC for S suites only----

Now there is a new wording---2 cat upgrades for outside cabins and $300 sbc for suites which are balconies--

with this difference of wording effective a couple months ago--you would assume that something is different,alas a new contract--hope so--

FRANK

That has been the terms for a number of years. It is not different.

We go back far enough with AmEx Platinum cruising (HAL) credits, that we used to be able to book a Category "B" cabin (on "S" class ships that existed at the time) and we got the two category upgrade to an "S". That was a great deal, obviously.

For at least 6 years (Probably more), it has been the Credit for Balconies and 2 category upgrade for lower categories.

Are you new to AmEx Platinum? If so, that is why you would not know these are not new terms.

WOW---

No Im not new to Plat and I was just trying to help you--

Obviously,you didnt know that last year Amex changed its requirements and ONLY "S" suites recieved the credits---I have a hard copy of these rules in my pocession--

Now they are back to the way they were for years before--ANY balcony gets $300SBC---that was my thinking that since this has changed then it was a new contract--but whatever--

FRANK

Phil,

Any TA can do it --but it does require them to get a tracking number from AMEX and give it to HAL and vice versa--

Remember this is the card with a $350 fee or thereabouts-

SEE YOU ON BOARD

FRANK

Unless it has changed, travel must be booked thru Amex Travel or thru an agent that has a relationship with Amex and has paid them an annual fee. I think this was effective about 2 years ago. Before that, any agent could get a tracking number from Amex. If this has changed, I am sure someone will advise. We book thru an agent in Houston and he is with an independent company but they have the agreement with Amex. The fee is $395 (or it was in April when I renewed).

Gary

Archived