Do your feet swell during/after a cruise

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

On my 5 day of my cruise I notice that my feet were quite swollen. I got home last night, drank all the water I could suffer, and they are still swollen. I ran into a couple of ladies at the airport and they too could not wear their shoes because their feet were swollen.:(

Does this happen to you? If so, how long does it last?:confused:

Is it the food?

Please behave yourself with your replies. I want to be able to read them without them disappearing. :rolleyes:

I'm laughing .... my friend and I ALWAYS have this problem... Talk about feeling like Cinderella's stepsisters.......

I never really noticed once I returned home, but during the cruise -

oh my- I have literally walked barefoot back to the cabin because my feet had been hurting since I walked out of the cabin for dinner !!!

On my recent Conquest cruise my feet were swollen by the second night. They remained that way the ENTIRE cruise. They would go down if I elevated them, but not much. I didn't let it bother me too much.

They went down by the Tuesday following our cruise. Of course by then, I think "most" of the alcohol was finally out of my system. :cool:

Have fun!!

It could be salt in the food (more than you are use to).

Not drinking enough water while on vacation.

Heat ... often being in a much warmer climate can cause water retention and your feet to swell.

Not moving enough ... many spend hours on deck in the sun relaxing verus being at home and on the move.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
It could be salt in the food (more than you are use to).

Not drinking enough water while on vacation.

Heat ... often being in a much warmer climate can cause water retention and your feet to swell.

Not moving enough ... many spend hours on deck in the sun relaxing verus being at home and on the move.

It is probably all of the above except the last one. I moved around a lot. Dance till wee hours in the club. Walked/swam - well splashed on the beach/wondered the halls of the ship. However, the salt in the food, air, the heat, etc.

O.K. maybe I am not dying. I will stop panicking. I was getting ready to run to the doctor!!! It is scary to look at.

Yep, even though not on Carnival, feet swell, as well as hands. I've not bought any ring on a cruise that I've not had to have sized appropriately later......but then, can I wear it on the next cruise??

Ditto:

Always thought salt content in the food and perhaps one to many cocktail :)

Always, I wear a size 9 1/2 but feet swells to a size 12. I had to stop in Belize and buy a pair of nice gold & black beaded slippers. By the second dress night I have to wear those 12:eek: but at least I have a pretty pair of shoes. I never forget to pack them now!

I have been told by a few different folks to limit your salt intake, caffeine and carbinated drinks because they all contribute to swelling - that combined with the sea air (which carries a lot of salt) can create swelling.

I know when I take long flights my feet/ankles swell up - i think it's a combination of sitting in one place for long time, and the cabin pressure.

I also have heard changing altitudes can cause some swelling/circulation issues -

Drink lots of water, and move about as much as possible. Try to keep in routine, and don't over eat/drink (all in moderation :) )

I haven't been on a cruise, yet, but booked one recently so I can't comment on swelling specifically from a cruise.

I have had problems for years, though, with my feet and legs swelling when I go on long trips. I had heard to drink lots of water, limit salt and carbonated beverage intake, and to exercise. I would do all of that but it only helped somewhat. This past summer I read to do all of that but also to take an aspirin before the trip. I did that before and during a 17 hr drive to Pennsylvania and I couldn' t believe how well it worked. I had a much better trip because of it. :)

On my 5 day of my cruise I notice that my feet were quite swollen. I got home last night' date=' drank all the water I could suffer, and they are still swollen. I ran into a couple of ladies at the airport and they too could not wear their shoes because their feet were swollen.:(

Does this happen to you? If so, how long does it last?:confused:

Is it the food?

Please behave yourself with your replies. I want to be able to read them without them disappearing. :rolleyes:[/quote']

YES oh my YES, my feet swelled up like balloons on the flight home from Alaska!:eek: It took several days for my feet to return to normal ! But Me thinks it had something to do with the bacon I had for breakfast everymorn???:p

When I was on my last cruise I was in the spa and found a miracle cure for the swelling of the feet thing, it is Elemis, Cellutox.

This stuff is amazing! Whatever is in it takes out the swelling in your feet, not all the way but you are able to where your own shoes and if you watch the food and drink, you will be good!

I usually do not buy the spa products but I was so desperate for relief, it really works.

Luv

My Dr. wrote me a script for special socks, I ware when flying, they help so much with the swelling. I would ware them more often but would look a little funny if not covered!!! I think alot of the swelling starts with the flying or driving with your feet down for so long. Try them, they work!!! Lynn

My feet swell a little, but my ankles swell alot.It looks like I have two oranges on either side of my legs. When I spoke to a friend she told me she had the same problem. I am so relieved to read this. I usually do not add extra salt. I will drink less soda and do the aspirin and see how it works. Leaving in 10 days.

Absolutely! Too much booze, creams and sauces on your food, we don't drink enough water, the sea salt air also contributes and unfortunately our system doesn't work as well or often as when we're home :( !!!!! A couple of days after vacation and things are back to normal.

Drink bottled water. The water on the ship is desalinated, but it still contains salt.

BTW I live on the water in Florida, my feet only swell on the ship (not anymore since I don't drink the ship's water). I have a hard time believing it's the salt air.

It is probably all of the above except the last one. I moved around a lot. Dance till wee hours in the club. Walked/swam - well splashed on the beach/wondered the halls of the ship. However' date=' the salt in the food, air, the heat, etc.

O.K. maybe I am not dying. I will stop panicking. I was getting ready to run to the doctor!!! It is scary to look at.[/quote']

If the swelling does not go down in a couple of days or you are having sharp pains in legs or feet, or having any problems breathing or it is excessive swelling then definitely get in to see your doctor.

Celery, parsley, watermellon all can act as natural durietics to help with the water retention.

Hope you feel better quickly.

i've noticed the last cruise my feet were swollen and I drank a lot of water.. the water we drink on the ship, unless it is bottled spring water has come from the sea and is desalinated on the ship.. could there still be a lot of sodium content in the desalinated water which they also cook, and wash the fruits and veggies with and make ice with...possible?????