Maybe, it's just me, but....

canoeny

Why is it that just before a cruise, everything seems to disintegrate? Our cruise date is 11/4/07 out of NYC on the Noordam... So, last Wed I awoke early for my six month dental checkup only to find our water heater had quit – no hot water and then discovered that my wife’s car (she had a early morning Dr’s appointment) had a flat tire. Got the water heater to work temporarily, my wife went to the local gas station and cancelled her Dr.'s appointment, and I went off to the dentist only to be pleasantly informed by the dentist that “you need a crown on that back molar” for a cost almost equal to ½ of the price of taking another cruise. After much gnashing of teeth (probably creating a need for further Dental work), we arranged our finances to accommodate these unexpected financial hits only to be confronted later in the week with another large bill for the replacement of the front struts on my car. Then the final indignity, my beloved HOKIES (Virginia Tech football team) imploded in their game against Boston College this last Thursday night and got dropped compeletly from the top 25....

Is it only me or does this accelaration of mishaps before a cruise happen to anyone else? I feel like Joe Bltspk (sic) of the old Lil’ Abner cartoon with a black cloud over my head.

I can only say I DON’T CARE; I’M GOING TO ENJOY THIS CRUISE!!!!!!

We really are looking forward to our trip. Life goes on no matter what and this cruise will be just what we need to forget these October troubles, but it I guess it would be nice to know I'm not alone in the universe with this kind of precruise run of bad luck. I need a hug!!!

I know, I know - in comparison with all the other troubles in the world, these seem very minimal but the dentist is tomorrow and I just hate going there for any reason.... I might just take SnorkelBear up on that drink --

BTW, what the heck is a "Hokie"? Isn't that a sandwich?

JOhn--

A Hoagie is a sandwich (also referred to as a Sub) that originated at Hog Island outside Philly for the shipyard workers:

A Hokie is the Va Tech mascot (which looks like a big purple turkey to me, but whatever...)

Copper10-8 check out this website to answer your question..

http://www.hokiesports.com/whatsahokie.html

Thank you Canoeny (loyal Virginia Tech Fan) and Brian - Never to old to learn something new (or find out how to spell Hoagie correctly!);)

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!

Tech, Tech, VPI

Sol-a-rex, Sol-a-rah

Poly Tech Vir-gin-ia

Ray rah VPI

Team! Team! Team!

JOhn--

A Hoagie is a sandwich (also referred to as a Sub) that originated at Hog Island outside Philly for the shipyard workers:

Ummmmm ... and you ain't lived until you've had a Carmen's Deli hoagie. Talk about hog heaven! I get mine dripping in both oil AND mayo. Yummie!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Could be worse dude, you could be a UCLA football fan:eek:/quote]

As a UCLA alum and football fan I know what you mean! Sometimes I think things happen before a cruise just to make sure that you REALLY enjoy the time away! Hope it is nothing but good news from here on!

Hey Canoeny,

Okay no offence to the other responders but I find when someone says 'it could be worse', somehow that doesn't make me feel better... just makes me feel guilty for being upset when there is so much going on in the world. but if there's one thing in life i've learned- don't dismiss your feelings. you're entitled- hell sometimes life just sucks!

I've had my own October battles (august and september too), infact i just got home from the hospital 90 mins ago and have to go back tomorrow, and right now i'm happy being miserable damn it! lol

Before u know it you'll be on your cruise, as I mine... and suddenly life will seem just a little bit better... (or perfect)

Thanks, Brian, for posting the PTS article..Had a much needed chuckle at my own behavior.Had just finished checking my bank and credit card accts., making sure my work related email and tasks were up to date, wrote a note to my neighbor,rechecked my travel list, airline filghts, etc.Have I done the same thing for thirty years ,yes.Is "stuff" going to happen, while I am away, yes.Even good, gosh, sorry I missed that "stuff", yes.Would I stay home instead of board the Amsterdam tomorrow ,nooo way in ......

Longing for my lounge chair , a book, a sea view, and meeting the fellow ccer's in person that I have been chatting on rollcall with since Feb. Dee

Before our cruise i was under the stress.

the month before I had to replace the tires and brakes on the family van.

Then just as i got finished paying for that I had to have the differential rebuilt on my Jaguar, it was making odd noises and leaking. I dropped it off the day before we left and told them to do the brakes and rear shocks at the same time.

My mother-in-law who had agreed to watch our 4 kids for the 7 days, over 6 months ago, decided at the last minute that on the 5th day she would be going visit her other daughter in Virginia Beach. So we had to get a babysitter for 2 days and fill out all the permissions to treat and all the other emergency related paperwork for the kids.

Then 3 days before we left I slipped on a kids toy and fell down the stairs at home. I banged up some ribs, but otherwise okay.

But we had a DAM fine time. till the toilets quit working in our cabin on the 6th day. but that wasn't so bad.

JOhn--

A Hokie is the Va Tech mascot (which looks like a big purple turkey to me, but whatever...)

also known as a hero in the nyc area

Rita, try the Italian hoagie at Chickie's in South Philly.

If I had a choice........Get a crown, or get my Jaguar repaired. Hummmmm.

I'm still thinking.

Tick

Tick

Tick

Tick

Tick

Tick

I'm gonna go with the Jaguar repair. They usually have better magazines to read at the repair shop than at the dentist office.

Hey Copper!

You're just messing with people now. You know that is not nice.

Everyone knows a Gyro is a Greek sandwich. And it also is used to keep people upright on the Segway.

Hoagie, Sub, Grinder, PoBoy, Hero, Gyro, Bola, Torta, Panini, Cubano, Cheesesteak, French Dip, Muffaletta.......It's all good when done right.

My favorite? The Chile Relleno Burrito. Particularly from San Diego.

Do you know what is less fattening than a sandwich? Half a sandwich.:)

Hey Copper!

You're just messing with people now. You know that is not nice.

Everyone knows a Gyro is a Greek sandwich. And it also is used to keep people upright on the Segway.

Hoagie, Sub, Grinder, PoBoy, Hero, Gyro, Bola, Torta, Panini, Cubano, Cheesesteak, French Dip, Muffaletta.......It's all good when done right.

My favorite? The Chile Relleno Burrito. Particularly from San Diego.

Do you know what is less fattening than a sandwich? Half a sandwich.:)

What you talkin' about Willis? The Greeks make a fine sandwich:) BTW, I never mess with people;)

Archived