BAD MOVE: Moving cabin questions elsewhere

MrPete

I have asked questions in the Cabin Selection area and made them as general as I could - and no answer. There are too many cruise lines jumbled together in there to weed through them all. Too hard to find someone who happens to be on the board and searching who might be able to answer. Typically the only people on there are ASKING questions, rarely getting answers.

I agree - leave Carnival-specific cabin questions here. It's only fair to those who have questions to have half a shot of getting an answer.

I also agree that cabin questions should stay here.

The Cabin Slection board has been around for awhile but I think it is hard to get answers there....add to that the same name ships on different cruiselines (as I experienced when deciding on a cabin for my upcoming Legend cruise!) and the search is a double nightmare.

Some questions are meant to be asked to and answered by specific cruiseline posters.

In addition to cabins I also think that a question pertaining to a cruise sponsored shore excursion could stay on this board.

AND.....I am also enjoying the solo cruisers thread going here as it is specific to Carnival ships.

....just my opinion though :) ....

What's next? Moving group cruise roll calls to the roll call section :confused:

I think you hit on something here, even if you didn't mean to! If they organized the cabin questions like they did the roll calls - by cruiseline and by ship or class of ship - very nice by the way - that would make the forum work easier and maybe there would be more answers in the cabin selection area. Carnival cruisers could find the Carnival cabin questions to answer easier, and then someone would actually answer them! :D Novel idea, I know. ;)

I think you hit on something here, even if you didn't mean to! If they organized the cabin questions like they did the roll calls - by cruiseline and by ship or class of ship - very nice by the way - that would make the forum work easier and maybe there would be more answers in the cabin selection area. Carnival cruisers could find the Carnival cabin questions to answer easier, and then someone would actually answer them! :D Novel idea, I know. ;)

I think you missed Einestien's jab. He doesn't particualarly care for the fact that officially sactioned CC group cruises are allowed to remain on the main boards.

I think you missed Einestien's jab. He doesn't particualarly care for the fact that officially sactioned CC group cruises are allowed to remain on the main boards.

I caught it - that's why I said "even if you didn't mean to." ;)

No one can make everyone happy. Just a fact of life! But his comment made me think about how the roll calls are organized - maybe it would work for the cabin forum.

That would be more organized but the problem still remains with the questions getting answered if moved from this board. The cruisers who have the experience and can answer the cabin questions are not going to be looking at a cabin selection board. It would be helpful though if my idea of leaving them on this board for 24 hours before moving them were used. They would be answered and then moved to the proper category where those needing the information would find it in the future.

Is that post in English?

That wasn't at all the point.

:rolleyes:

You made your feelings well known about group cruise threads being on the main board.

I can understand how compartmentalizing makes the site easier to navigate, but can't many of these be subsections of the appropriate cruiseline forum, e.g.

[COLOR="Blue"][B]CARNIVAL DISCUSSION[/B]:[/COLOR][COLOR="Green"]
-Carnival General Discussion
-Carnival Roll Calls
-Carnival Cruise Critic Member Cruises
-Carnival Foodies
-Carnival Cabin Selection
-Carnival Tipping Policy*
-Carnival Fashion[/COLOR][COLOR="red"]*[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR="red"]*[/COLOR]Just imagine the bliss of being able to completely avoid dress code and tipping threads (unless you're bored and are just looking to start trouble!) :D [/I]

On the other hand, it makes sense for sections like Ports of Call, Special Interest Cruising, Cruise Discussion, etc. to be organized more or less the way they are now, since they're not cruiseline specific.

Seems to me that the site would be much easier to navigate in general if things were organized this way. Of course, I don't know how hard it would be to reconfigure things given the software currently being used...

I thought I was picky because I was frustrated that they moved all the Hotel threads out of Hotels and into a new Topic: North American Departures. I assume this is so that all the info about home ports can be posted in one spot. Except some home ports are also ports of call, and they are still under the Ports of Call board, so some info about them can be found there. Yet others don't appear in the ports of call board, like Miami. You can probably find Miami excursion details under Ports of Call, United States. However, another home port, New Orleans, shows up as a port of call. But it doesn't fit into East Coast or West Coast departures under Home Ports. I'm clicking all over to find what I need! Why not just have a major heading called Ports or Cities and list all major cities whether they are a port of call or a home port. Then have minor headings under each city for excursions, hotels, ground transportation, restaurants, etc.

[quote name='carnivalcruisejunkie']It has been my observation that a lot more posts get moved from this section of CC than any other.[/QUOTE]

We sail often and are going back to Carnival after several years. I have had major problems finding info about our Carnival cruise because of this practice of moving the posts. On NO other boards are the questions moved like they are here. It is VERY frustrating.

Many, many questions are specific to a cruise line, be it debarkation, flight times, cabins, etc.

I agree that generic questions should be moved, but specific questions about Carnival should be left here.

Hosts: Lighten up, PLEASE!!! Try resisting the urge to move the posts if there is a "whiff" of another subject and see how it goes for a while....I'm sure everyone will thank you.

Thanks!!!
Judy

[quote name='Marmarjudy']We sail often and are going back to Carnival after several years. I have had major problems finding info about our Carnival cruise because of this practice of moving the posts. On NO other boards are the questions moved like they are here. It is VERY frustrating.

Many, many questions are specific to a cruise line, be it debarkation, flight times, cabins, etc.

I agree that generic questions should be moved, but specific questions about Carnival should be left here.

Hosts: Lighten up, PLEASE!!! Try resisting the urge to move the posts if there is a "whiff" of another subject and see how it goes for a while....I'm sure everyone will thank you.

Thanks!!!
Judy[/QUOTE]

I second that! I'm so tired of seeing the message "post moved" when it clearly pertains to Carnival. Looking for Carnival specific threads on other boards is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'd just much rather have my needles attached to the thread on the Carnival board . . .

[quote name='campdaan']I agree. Separating the cabin questions is bordering on Obsessive/Compulsive behavior.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. I agree.

I don't agree. I agree. I agree. I don't agree.

I don't agree. I agree. I agree. I don't agree.

I agree. I don't agree. I don't agree. I agree.

I wonder what thread THIS one will end up on...

In the world of websites, there seems to be some kind of 'hit envy'. The more hits you get, the better. Instead of trying to make the board more user friendly, and possibly keeping questions in a forum that might actually have someone else reading it that might know the answer, they try to increase the number of 'hits' by spreading the info out and thus increasing their bragging rights. Of course, if you have more hits, you can charge a higher rate to advetisers.
This is just my opinion and observation, it is no way a statement of fact.

[quote name='Leo Jay']I can understand how compartmentalizing makes the site easier to navigate, but can't many of these be subsections of the appropriate cruiseline forum, e.g.

[COLOR=blue][B]CARNIVAL DISCUSSION[/B]:[/COLOR][COLOR=green]
-Carnival General Discussion
-Carnival Roll Calls
-Carnival Cruise Critic Member Cruises
-Carnival Foodies
-Carnival Cabin Selection
-Carnival Tipping Policy*
-Carnival Fashion[/COLOR][COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]

[I][COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]Just imagine the bliss of being able to completely avoid dress code and tipping threads (unless you're bored and are just looking to start trouble!) :D [/I]

On the other hand, it makes sense for sections like Ports of Call, Special Interest Cruising, Cruise Discussion, etc. to be organized more or less the way they are now, since they're not cruiseline specific.

Seems to me that the site would be much easier to navigate in general if things were organized this way. Of course, I don't know how hard it would be to reconfigure things given the software currently being used...[/quote]

That makes so much more sense! It was hard enough to find cabin information about a specific ship within the Carnival subsection, but it is just so much more difficult when all the cruise lines are grouped together.

It also makes no sense to group all the hotel information together. It seems much more logical to break that down by departure port. When you are planning a cruise you want to know as much information about the port city you will be leaving from. It would be so much more helpful if this was all together. This moving around of post is just making this board harder to use. My cruise is going to be leaving from Port Canaveral but when I go to the East Coast departures subcategory I have to wade thru information about NYC.

If I get a vote (which I don't) I say bring the cabin questions back to this forum. It makes sense, no one here objects to it, and it's the only way those people will be able to get their questions answered.

Maybe it's because of some sort of technical limitation that there are having too many posts in the Carnival forum, and this way they can move some of them elsewhere? If so and something has to be done, I have other ideas as to which threads could be moved out of the Carnival forum.

Archived