Theft Alert Crown Princess Passengers

debbieinct61

Is it really NEWS and an ALERT that someone got fake jewelry that looked to be of value stolen from an unlocked unattended bag ?

CAll me jaded. Being stolen from is bad and a bad feeling. My dad was pickpocked in Italy on a cruise, But he was dumb and made every possible mistake. It was upsetting and he had to cancel his credit cards.

But guess what ? I did not come back and post a "Watch out for Pickpockets in Sicily" thread.

Thanks for your input Jaqueline. Many people are already aware of the problems with pickpockets in Italy, but I posted because this had never happened to me on a cruise, and from the reading these posts, I'm not the only one it happened to on this cruise. Perhaps I should have stayed outside & gone below & babysat my bags all nite. When my sister told me, the first thing I said to her was why did you pack that stuff in your checked bags, but she's new to cruising and just didn't think anything like that would happen. I see you've posted many times, sorry I missed all that graet advice you've probably been handing out through the years, maybe if you had posted about your Dad's loss, I might have read it, and this wouldn't have happened.

Hello??? Is anyone home out there? Did ANYONE pass Reading Comprehension in grammar school/?? The poster WASN'T NEAR AN AIRPORT!!!! The lock problem happened at the port!!! WHAT is so difficult about understanding this? I, as well, had the same problem with the same cruise.

Before you post, PLEASE at least understand the original poster's comments. It will save us all alot of time!

Kinwad, what I'm not understanding is your hostility. Most of the posters on this thread ARE aware that she didn't fly! If you are referring to the comments about TSA locks, it's because YOU SHOULD USE THEM EVEN ON CRUISE SHIPS! No need to buy different locks because you aren't flying!

Please don't come in and insult other posters with your very first ever post here. Common courtesy goes a long way!

Kinwad, what I'm not understanding is your hostility. Most of the posters on this thread ARE aware that she didn't fly! If you are referring to the comments about TSA locks, it's because YOU SHOULD USE THEM EVEN ON CRUISE SHIPS! No need to buy different locks because you aren't flying!

Please don't come in and insult other posters with your very first ever post here. Common courtesy goes a long way!

Carol, couldn't have said it better!

Thanks Carolyn!!! Hey! Do me a favor, you are on the first sailing out of SJU can you please tell me when you get back which nights they end up having as formal? Thanks much and can't wait to hear your reviews from this cruise!! I'm sure THIS ONE will be a bit "uneventful" for you!! Fingers crossed!! LOL!

Thanks Carolyn!!! Hey! Do me a favor, you are on the first sailing out of SJU can you please tell me when you get back which nights they end up having as formal? Thanks much and can't wait to hear your reviews from this cruise!! I'm sure THIS ONE will be a bit "uneventful" for you!! Fingers crossed!! LOL!

I'll be sure and post a review with all the info when I get back. I'll let you know about the formal nights. I'm also going to do a live from report like I did from the Star sailing but hopefully I can to finish this one!

Thanks for the finger crossing!

Sorry to hear about your sister's bad experience. :eek: I agree. It was probably airport thieves. I'm glad she hand carried her good jewelry! As for you folks who wanted her to lock her bags--ever hear about 9/11? Airports tell you NOT to lock any suitcases. They will actually cut the lock off or damage your bag if they want to inspect it. There are some locks that are supposed to be opened by some kind of inspection code, but half the time they are cut anyway because the airport personnel doesn't know how to use them. I hand carry anything special, and try not to take irreplaceables (except my DH, or course!). I hope you got travel insurance, so there should be some compensation.

Airports have nothing to say about locking one's suitcase on a cruise ship before placing it in the hallway.

We can debate how effective locks on luggage are, but the fact is there is no regulation forbidding one from locking luggage before placing it in the hallway. Personally, we lock ours when we place the luggage in the hallway. I take it off again at the airport while we are waiting to check in.

From the TSA website about luggage locks - they are okay if they are TSA approved locks. You can veirfy this at tsa.gov:

Air Travel

Travel Assistant

TSA Recognized Baggage Locks

tsa_accepted_locks.jpgWe all sometimes need a little extra sense of security, but before you lock your bag, make sure it’s a TSA accepted lock. We screen every bag before it’s placed on any airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. If a bag is locked, we are allowed to cut the lock off. That’s where recognized locks come in. We worked in partnership with several companies to develop locks which offer you security without interrupting the security we offer. These locks are normally available at airports and travel stores nationwide.

Before you buy a lock for your bag, make sure to use a TSA accepted one. Look for these symbols to make sure you have the right lock.

Not sure where to get one? Try these Web sites for TSA accepted locks:

locks_travel_sentry.jpg

locks_safe_skies.jpg

Point well taken. Heck we all are going on a cruise, not a trip to see the Queen of England. What in the world is in these suitcases to fret over? If there is anything that is that special, TAKE IT IN YOUR CARRYON!

I was at the airport lost bagage are in NYC's LaGuardia not too long ago. A very threatening and angry man was complaining that all of his money and medication was in his checked bagagge. The woman went out of her way to not state the obvious. (what a jack*ss) She patiently described that since he was on standby for his flight which is why his bags were delayed.

Tips that work for me;

Precruise, print out your itinerary and put in in each bag. Include flight numbers.

1) I use those wide webbed straps that go around the suitcase. I use them on dufflebags too.I like bright pink for ID. I also think that for someone to undo these would definately draw unwanted attention.

In terms of locks, we all know the rules for the airlines.

2) When you arrive at the pier, ensure that your bags are intact from your inbound trip. Are all your Pincess tags on ? If you have extra, use them. It will get to your cabin faster. Here again there is an opportunity to lock your bags or be sure that the TSA ones are still on.

3) Tip the person who you hand your luggage to at the pier. Smile and say "thank you". We are going on vacation. Be Happy.

4) The night before disembarkation, repeat the process. Make sure that there are at TWO tags on each of your bags that you leave in the hallway.

On my first cruise, I noticed that my neighbors tag had fallen off (saw it on the hallway floor). I am sure that this bag did not make it to the airport unless they had an itinerary inside.

Again, feel free to lock your bags until you get to the airport.

WHat do most of us have in our checked luggage ? Underwear, bathing suits, shoes and some outfits. These are not items that anyone without a fetish should be tempted to steal. I do not worry about theft, more about misdirection, which is why I label compulsively.

I have heard intimations of cruisers missing suitcases permenantly, who have removed the autotip. I guess it is not too hard for a suitcase to go overboard in the middle of the night.

When we fly, we do not lock our luggage anymore, due to TSA inspections

and haven't wanted to buy those spcial TSA locks. But when we drive, or

before we put our luggage out for the night before disembarkation, we use

plastic zip ties to secure them. We then inspect those tags when we

claim our luggage in customs. BTW - Those zip ties are available in

different colors, if you're afraid the porters carry spares. :rolleyes:

If you zip tie them when you arrive, be sure to have some nail clippers

in your carry on (yes, they're allowed now), as they are difficult to cut

with your teeth!

FYI, we used the zip tie on one of our suitcases (we had only one lock) when we flew to and from London in August. TSA opened both of our pieces of luggage. However they only relocked the one with the official TSA lock. We were lucky nothing was stolen or lost. I had my nebulizer (breathing machine) in the tied one. I couldn't carry it on board due to the UK restrictions. We bought another lock when we got back for the next trip. No worrying about which suitcase has the more important/expensive items!

A lot of folks on flights the same time as us had things stolen from their luggage. So many things had to go in to checked luggage that usually were carried on due to the sudden changes in allowable carryon items that the theives had a grand old time. But we lucky.

BTW, TSA was real curious about that machine. The actually placed their inspection tag inside the bubble wrap it had put around it for cushioning. Even the cord was wrapped around it differently. I wonder if they actually plugged it in and tested it?

--Denise

--

BTW, TSA was real curious about that machine. The actually placed their inspection tag inside the bubble wrap it had put around it for cushioning. Even the cord was wrapped around it differently. I wonder if they actually plugged it in and tested it?

--Denise --

My DH travels with a C-PAP machine (for sleep apnea). It comes in its own very nice travel case, so it's a carry-on. When it goes through Security, it gets a very careful inspection. He hasn't had to turn it on yet, though. He normally puts a leakproof pint of distilled water in the case, too, but I guess this time, he'll have to check it and hope for the best. He has been able to get an entire gallon of water on the ship.

We have the TSA locks, too, but leave them off until we go to the ship. On the way home, we lock everything up on board the ship and unlock when we arrive at the airport. I'm worried less about airport personnel stealing anything than losing my locks!!

We have the TSA locks, too, but leave them off until we go to the ship. On the way home, we lock everything up on board the ship and unlock when we arrive at the airport. I'm worried less about airport personnel stealing anything than losing my locks!!

So why use TSA locks? The airport is the only place you need TSA locks. I haven't heard of any lost locks. Now we ruined a TSA lock (plastic) all by ourselves before even going to the airport by just trying to set the combination. Into the trash that one went (it came with our Samonsite luggage). Then we bought a sturdy metal one. Did you leave your luggage unlocked at the airport before you had TSA locks? If no, why do you think it's safe at the airport now. I doubt it's TSA employees you have to worry about. But there are lots of airline employees that have access to your luggage and lots of items have gone missing.

--Denise

Has anyone traveled from the UK since 08/10/06 with a nebulizer/C PAP machine as a carry on with the new very restrictive rules? We're heading back to the UK in May (of course carry on requirements may change by then. Hope, hope, hope (fingers crossed);) . I always tuck my prescription label in with my nebulizer for the TSA inspectors now.

--Denise

What exactly is a TSA lock? - sorry I just don't know.

204190.jpg

A TSA lock is one that you open using a combination. On the bottom there is a key hold and if needed, TSA employees are suppose to have a universal key to unlock it. TSA locks have a universal simbol that is suppose to be recognized by TSA employees. Keep in mind that TSA employees are not even required to have a high school degree. TSA locks only work in the US (to my knowledge).

Hello??? Is anyone home out there? Did ANYONE pass Reading Comprehension in grammar school/?? The poster WASN'T NEAR AN AIRPORT!!!! The lock problem happened at the port!!!!

Actually there was no lock problem because the OP wrote that she did not have any locks on her luggage. By the way, there is no need to yell (using caps). People are reading these boards not listening to them.

Hello??? Is anyone home out there? Did ANYONE pass Reading Comprehension in grammar school/?? The poster WASN'T NEAR AN AIRPORT!!!! The lock problem happened at the port!!! WHAT is so difficult about understanding this? I, as well, had the same problem with the same cruise.

Before you post, PLEASE at least understand the original poster's comments. It will save us all alot of time!

First time poster and all ready shouting? My, my.

Did you report it to the cruise line?

We've been using TSA locks for quite a while now, and they are great. We use them when we cruise. It's nice knowing that no one (besides TSA personnel) will be going through your stuff, even if nothing valuable is inside the bag.

We've had our suitcases searched at the airport (slip of paper in the bag) and the locks relocked. They are lime green, also, so they stand out a little on the luggage carousel. Just an FYI -- Sharper Image will replace locks purchased from them if TSA personnel cut them off instead of using the universal key.

Thanks to the OP for posting about this, it's a great reminder to lock your bags before putting them out on the last night, whether driving or flying.

Thanks to all for posting pictures of the locks and zip ties, I have no clue how to do that!! LOL!

And so far I haven't had the need to take extra TSA locks with me due to them being lost during TSA inspections. And I've had my bags opened many times, I think I'm on the watch list with Ft. Lauderdale!

And I might be paranoid but I go a little further on the zip ties, I put a mark on them before I leave home with a permanent marker, that way I know if they have been replaced somewhere. But I've also been someone who's had stuff taken out of my luggage at the airports.

What about the cruise ship terminal porters? I heard a few from Miami were jailed for stealing stuffs out of the passenger luggage. The practice is still on-going!!

Thanks for the reply...There were only 5 porters available at disembarkation so we dragged our own suitcases to the car....and thanks to all who answered with photos of locks & zip tags, and the kryptonite bars, I will surely be better secured on my next departure. I was thinking rat traps set to go off, or maybe...snakes..yeah that's it SNAKES ON A CRUISE SHIP.....

I think that people are being very naive in thinking that if they have a TSA lock, only TSA employees have a master. There are LOTS of these master keys floating around town. Many of the 'TSA" styled locks are of very poor quality (yes the TSA master key will open them but this does not speak to quality) and will literally open up if you have a hairpin or look sideways at them. Bottom line is that if someone wants to get into your luggage when you are not around they will get in.

Archived