Tipping on excursions

wendyp247

We have been on lots of tours both booked through the cruise line and on our own. We have always felt that a tip was expected. It is hard to miss the sign that says 'tips are appreciated'. Some drivers/guides even go out of their way to mention it. At any rate we do tip, it seems to us that most of our fellow tour members tip also. Most of the islands we visit the yearly wage is quite small so I think that a few extra dollars means alot.

Bev

We always tip, no matter if it is a private excursion or a ship's excursion. The operators on the ship's excursions make less than those who do the independent excursions, and I think they should probably be tipped MORE often than you would an indepent operator. That being said, we usually tip about 10% for either type. We just consider it part of the price, just like when we go out to dinner and tip the waiter.

We always tip, no matter if it is a private excursion or a ship's excursion. The operators on the ship's excursions make less than those who do the independent excursions, and I think they should probably be tipped MORE often than you would an indepent operator. That being said, we usually tip about 10% for either type. We just consider it part of the price, just like when we go out to dinner and tip the waiter.

Yep!

Unless the tour director does something totally out of the ordinary that's not included in the excursion, I wouldn't tip at all! This is an RCI excursion--haven't you paid enough for this?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but just because you book the excursion through RCI, it doesn't mean that they are actually making a very big profit/commission on the transaction. I've got to believe that all/most of the money is going to the actual tour operator, and of that only a small portion to the driver/guide. We generally have tipped about $5/pp for "short" tours, whether on a cruise or land-based vacation. I suppose were we to do an all-day tour or if the guide did something extraordinary, we'd bump it up.

Archived