A must see beach...

travelpassion

Hello. The annual girl’s trip this year is a cruise leaving San Juan on 18 March 2007. We have been looking into several excursions for the different ports of call we will be visiting; however, I would like one day to be a relaxing beach only type of day (w/ possible snorkeling…we have our own equipment). We will be visiting the following ports: Dominica, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua. Can someone recommend a port of call we should save for our relaxing beach day? The absolute must see beach…to die for beach? Also, does anyone have comments on the snuba tour offered in Barbados? Thanks in advance for any advise you can provide.:)

St. Thomas -- a gazillion years ago (it seems), went on a girlfriend vaca b/4 buckling down for law school. Megan's Bay was breathtaking. banana daquaries (sp?) on top restaurant/bar while enjoying a magnificent view. have been back to st thomas since then, but not back to megan's bay. however, i believe it is still defined as one of the "most beautiful beaches" all these years later. worth checking into.

Hello. The annual girl’s trip this year is a cruise leaving San Juan on 18 March 2007. We have been looking into several excursions for the different ports of call we will be visiting; however, I would like one day to be a relaxing beach only type of day (w/ possible snorkeling…we have our own equipment). We will be visiting the following ports: Dominica, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua. Can someone recommend a port of call we should save for our relaxing beach day? The absolute must see beach…to die for beach? Also, does anyone have comments on the snuba tour offered in Barbados? Thanks in advance for any advise you can provide.:)

Having also done most of these ports, I'm also gonna say St Thomas, but I would head to the neighboring island of St John. Trunk Bay is truly a little paradise. This year, I'm hoping to go to Cinnamon Beach. I hear that this one is nice too.

Joanne

I was married on Cinnamon Bay....;)

Trunk Bay is like something off a postcard...just stunning.

Easy ferry over from St. Thomas...and a quick cab from Cruz Bay.

I have been to all the USVI & BVI islands many times....any questions, just ask.

We really enjoyed Rodney Bay in St. Lucia. Nice beach, not too busy, great sand, and lots of cold beer for sale by the vendors on the beach. Enjoy your Girls time.

Payd:)

problem with your itinerary is that I'm a beach person and feel each beach is a must see. so the debate is for you to decide, they're all great.

coki, has limited "reef". just two rock walls lining the beach where the fish gather and pose, not a great selection, but for beginners it's perfect, it's no grand caymen, but our favorite beach spot. Simply a local type beach with a bathroom, easy access to taxi and locals that will serve drinks and simple bar food. About 15 minutes maybe 20 from the pier $7pp each way. Chairs $5 if you want to rent them if not aok. There is shade to the far left when facing the water. Saphire in st. thomas is better in the fact that it is more resort, but lacking the inlet view. this beach gets crowded from about 1:30-2:30 with those getting off excursion, but they stay to the right of the beach near sea world or what ever it's called. Scuba here is a no go.

Dominica has no real beaches, just black volcanic type sharp rock, it's more rain forest excursions, barbados, we did not swim with the turtles as I wanted, hubby doesn't do that , we did the boat yard. good enough for a beach day with all the facilities, certainly not coki.

boat 37_1.jpgyardIMG%5D

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend doing both in one day. Decide on one or the other. You will see Megan's Bay on the way to Red Hook where the ferry is. Trunk Bay is truly a paradise. However, it is totally natural - no vendors on the beach, no umbrellas, etc. to rent, no jet skis. Just the beach and water. It is a national park. You can rent the snorkle equipment at the parking area up top, then walk down to the beach. There is also a restroom area and small snack bar up top. Megan's bay also more of a natural beach, but there are facilities and snacks/drinks available on the beach. They also have floating mats to rent. If you want watersports, then Sapphire beach. Coki beach has the waverunners, but they are on the salt pond behind the beach. Coki beach is very, very small. Don't think you'd want to spend the day there. Just an hour or two to snorkle.

If you want to go to St. John's, here's how to do it:

Take taxi to Red Hook (about 20min to ½ hour); from Red Hook take ferry to Cruz Bay, St. John. From landing, take taxi to Trunk Bay. Make arrangements with taxi driver who dropped you off what time he should pick you back up. I suggest early ferry over to St. John (9am), then take the ferry back (around 2pm) to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas instead of Red Hook. Then you can shop for a good hour or so before you take a taxi back to the ship. Ferry schedule: http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St.%20John%20Passenger%20Ferry:%20%20Red%20Hook%20to%20Cruz%20Bay

As for Barbados, this is the beach my family went to and loved it!!!

http://www.theboatyard.com/

As for Antigua, my son and girlfriend took a taxi to Dickenson's Bay.

Good luck and happy cruising!!!

I would vote for Magen's Bay beach on St. Thomas. Trunk Bay is awesome, but you have to factor in 1.5 hours on a ferry round trip, which isn't really my idea of fun. I'd rather use that time to be actually on a beach. :) But on the other hand, it is well worth it to see.

But we had a great time at Magen's. I think it was listed as one of the top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic, if I'm remembering correctly. It wasn't crowded when we there at all. Just lovely with warm water (this was in late March). We just swam and sunbathed there, though; not sure if it's a good place to snorkel. We also did see Coki Beach when we went to Coral World, and the beach looked lovely, too, although we didn't actually use it. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :D

Ivisited Sapphire beach in St Thomas and had a wonderful time.... it was a beautiful beach with great views... my brother went snorkling and said it was good the seas were a little rough that day... the beach itself was really nice and there were bathrooms and bar/snack shack there... my brother walked down the beach and rented a jet ski and did that for 1 hour or so and the best part of it was the fact that is was not crowded and there werent any vendors on the beach trying to sell stuff.... no my next visit day I will visit either coki or meagans bay not sure yet.... In my opinion any beach anywhere in the caribbean is beautiful.... ;) enjoy your cruise....

St. Thomas/ St. John -- As previously stated, Maagan's Bay in St. Thomas is great. But I prefer Trunk Bay in St. John if you can get the water taxi over there. I've been here a half dozen times, and do prefer Trunk Bay. IMHO, Coki Beach is nothing spectacular. If you stay on St. Thomas, Maagen's is much better.

Barbados -- I made my first trip to Barbados this past April on the Legend. Carlisle Bay was absolutely beautiful. There was blinding white sand, and the most strikingly sapphire blue water I have EVER seen, and I've been ALL over the Caribbean. This is probably my favorite beach anywhere in the Caribbean. It is 5-10 minute cab ride from the cruise port as well. We took a cab to downtown Bridgetown, and walked around. Went to the Boatyard, which is about a 1/2 mile down the road from downtown. Beach access is here, with a bar and restaurant. Lots of in water trampolines, etc there too.

Dominica -- As previously stated, not the "beachiest" of islands, but it is a gorgeous place.

St. Thomas, I have to agree, St. Johns is the best way to go. Trunk Bay and Cinnamon are ideal.

Antiqua, you will have 365 beaches to choose from. We took a taxi from the pier to Turners Beach. It was truly relaxing. It had a beach bar, boutique. My group and I did this back in 2001. I've attached a picture of Turners Beach.

Turner's Beach.Turner's Beach is located near Johnsons Point on the south west coast of Antigua West Indies. Cooled by gentle trade-winds, Turner's beach offers a great venue for tanning in the tropical sun. On exceptionally clear days, the Island of Montserrat can be seen on the horizon.

turner.jpg

I've also heard that Long Bay Beach is a beach of choice as well.

Long Bay BeachLong Bay Beach is located about 5 minutes from the village of Willikies at Long Bay on the east coast of Antigua, West Indies. It's fine white sand and crystal blue waters make it a great place for snorkelling or just relaxing in the sun.

pineape.jpg

Here is the link for other beaches on Antiqua.

http://www.antiguanice.com/antigua_barbuda_beaches.htm

Also, last year my group and I did the Jolly Rogers Party cruise in Barbados. What a great time. :D The cruise actually let you have a choice of swinging into the ocean, walking off the gangplank or going to shore for about an 1 hour.

Good luck with your beach search and happy cruisin'!!

I used to loved Coki beach in St. Thomas but when I was there in November, the beach is almost gone. It felt so crowded and the restaurants on the beach have gone downhill. The USVI government needs to fix the beaches in St. Thomas before they're all gone.

Archived