Are Skinny Jeans Dying Out Already?

DebbieCruiser

I will field this one. Fear that they'll make all jeans skinny makes me want the skinny jeans to die the most. And the fact that people who hung onto their old styles from the 80s before they came back think they're cool now. :p Top it off with the fact that 90% of the population can't pull off the look and you have a trend that I hate.

I don't feel this way about all trends- just this one. I didn't care for the poncho, but I didn't speak out about it's demise.

But if the mullet came back, I would want it to die too. :D

LOL! Points well taken!

Well, vanity sizing or not, a 110 lb 4'11" woman, while not exactly a "0", doesn't take "Large" either! Wish they'd get it right, either way.

Who's "they"?

Suppose you started your own clothing company tomorrow with all the best intentions of making your sizing the "right" one........

Okay, so where do you start? Who's sizing system will you use as your fit? Ann Taylor's? Ellen Tracy's? Ralph Lauren's? Target's? Walmart's?

Or are you going to create your own and announce to the world that only your's is right and expect all others to change?

Reality is that you would look at your competition....and emulate theirs, right? There's your answer.

There is no "they". ;)

Don't misunderstand me. I feel that same frustrations as you do, but fashion evolves and sizes evolve. It's said that today's size 6 is a 1950's size 12. Well if that's true then all women over a size 10 would be a Plus Size.....or a "Stout" size as they were called in the 50's a la "Catherine's Stout Shop. And with the population getting fatter as well as taller,and most women currently above a size 14, if sizing stayed the same, then a women who's a size 12 would now be a size 22.

Who's "they"?

Being a Hunter Gathrer I go into a store and buy 48 waist pants knowing they will fit without trying them on. Same with shirts. Why can't womans clothes be the same. Maybe if THEY ditch sizes and go by measurments. I'll take a 42 inch waist dress. Rather than the elusive size 0 dress.

Being a Hunter Gathrer I go into a store and buy 48 waist pants knowing they will fit without trying them on. Same with shirts. Why can't womans clothes be the same. Maybe if THEY ditch sizes and go by measurments. I'll take a 42 inch waist dress. Rather than the elusive size 0 dress.

At least it's based on some concrete element... but I would bet that your shirt came with a neck and sleeve measurement as well, and no doubt there were options for inseam for your pants.

Something I'm painfully aware of since it seems THEY think anyone with a 29" waist couldn't possibly need a 34" inseam, or (not remembering my dress shirt sizes) skinny guys rarely have thick necks and long arms. Or the creeping expansion of t-shirt sizes (like soda sizes it seems) which has gotten so crazy some don't even come in Small, and those that do should be labeled "Small Gorilla" or "Small + Beer Gut". :(

We're all different shapes and sizes... some of us much more average than others... and "average" IS changing. Those of us at the far reaches of the bell curve have far fewer options, and always will.

Being a Hunter Gathrer I go into a store and buy 48 waist pants knowing they will fit without trying them on. Same with shirts.

Yes, men's clothes are easier. But then men's body's are more "regular" because they don't have breasts or hips. If all size 48's fit your waist I can only assume that you don't really care how they fit in the butt because they don't all fit the same.

Also in men's shirts, my DH wears a 16/33 in a dress shirt - that's standard. However, in casual shirts he's a "Medium"....except when don't fit and he needs a large or a small, because the sizing isn't standard. :)

Why can't womans clothes be the same. Maybe if THEY ditch sizes and go by measurments. I'll take a 42 inch waist dress. Rather than the elusive size 0 dress.

OKay, so should a 42 inch waist dress have a hip measurement that is 10" larger? 6" larger? 14" larger? Women know if they're a 0 or a 12. The problem is that if it fits one area of the body, it won't necessarily fit another. So even if a woman bought a "Size 42" dress, it might fit in the waist, but not the hips, shoulders or bustline. What would then happen is that different companies would make different proportions for that 42 waist dress. And Voila! The whole process of noncomforming sizes would start all over again.

Women with wide waists and no hips like specific brands because they cut for that body type and other women with small waists and larger rears like other specific brands because they cut to that figure. If it were standardized, there would be many unhappy women who couldn't get clothes that fit without tons of expensive alterations. Women's clothes have to fit a larger variety of body types.

Jane makes excellent points for both men and women.

My DH is 6'4 and while a 44 waist may fit him (depending on who made the pants) the length won't always be long enough.

Same with a jacket, he tried on a 44 tall and the sleeves were way to short (about 2 inches above the wrist) in some cases.

When buying casual shirts and sweaters XL may fit across the chest but the sleeves can often be too short. People tell my DH, go to the big and tall shop and no he can't. He can for the "length" but not for the width, very often the width is just to big and baggy.

The same is true for women I find. And yes, I do find sizes have evolved. I have a sweater that is 10 years old and it still fits. I could not buy a sweater in the same size right now and have it fit me.

I think models in women's fashion have gotten "thinner" i.e., Kate Moss vs Christine Brinkly (sp?). I think women's fashion sizes from some manufacturers to be smaller cut and some to be bigger cut. Elieen Fisher cuts so big I have to go down 1 - 2 sizes.

And yes, I remember when women complained about suits (and I'm not that old). A woman would need a size 10 pant/skirt and a size 8 or 12 jacket, so hence all the "seperates". Now you never (or hardly ever) see a suit sold together at least I don't. I see a jacket and a pant and/or skirt, same fabric, same color but sold seperately so that the appropriate size can be purchased on top and bottom.

Jane makes excellent points for both men and women.

My DH is 6'4 and while a 44 waist may fit him (depending on who made the pants) the length won't always be long enough.

Same with a jacket, he tried on a 44 tall and the sleeves were way to short (about 2 inches above the wrist) in some cases.

When buying casual shirts and sweaters XL may fit across the chest but the sleeves can often be too short. People tell my DH, go to the big and tall shop and no he can't. He can for the "length" but not for the width, very often the width is just to big and baggy.

My husband is 6'5" and wears a 52 extra long jacket and absolutely cannot buy suits 'off the rack'. In order to get the jacket to fit, the pants come in a 48 (if you can find a 52 extra extra long) and he wears a 38 pant.

Don't even get me started about dress shirts.

I know your pain MrsMoose.

Will somebody please tell me what "mom" jeans are?

I think "mom jeans" are the jeans that everyone makes fun of because they come up to your waist, don't have a zipper (just an elastic waist band) and aren't skin tight (or at least aren't more form fitting). I'm fifty-nine and wear a size 16W and while I don't often wear jeans, when I do . . . I wear "mom jeans."

Will somebody please tell me what "mom" jeans are?

Mom Jeans have a loose fit and a high waist. They have either a long zipper front, an elasticized waist or a combination of both with a zippered front and then elastic in the back and/or waist. The long zipper went out of style 15 years ago, but fans of the Mom Jeans manage to still find them.

They're usually roomy in the rear and have no sex appeal at all. And unlike other jeans, there's nothing chic or "today" about them. They have the ability to make a women with a normal body look squishy and matronly. Often, they're tapered at the ankle which makes the butt look bigger. <sigh>

Wearers like to pair them with matronly loose fitting tee shirts that have wide sleeves and end right above the elbow or oversized turtleneck tee's.

Derf posted a wonderful video which is an old Sat Live Live skit about Mom Jeans and the patchwork vest that coordinates so well with the overall frumpy look.

My husband is 6'5" and wears a 52 extra long jacket and absolutely cannot buy suits 'off the rack'. In order to get the jacket to fit, the pants come in a 48 (if you can find a 52 extra extra long) and he wears a 38 pant.

I have this very same problem with my son, 6'5" at age 17. Any shirt, even the tall sizes are too short in the sleeve. Thank goodness he prefers a short sleeved shirt almost year round!

I bought him a tux a couple of months back and the jacket is fine, the pants had to be taken in and up. The tux shirt I bought him is the longest sleeve length I can find, but I know it would look better even a half inch longer. Even in big and tall sizes, you cannot find shirt sleeves any longer than 37 or 38. I'm planning an internet search and hoping I can find one that is affordable (again!).

I have had good luck with Lands End ties, though, they are affordable and they sell many styles in longer lengths. Thank goodness I found him a few ties that don't come up above his belly button :)

I have this very same problem with my son, 6'5" at age 17. Any shirt, even the tall sizes are too short in the sleeve. Thank goodness he prefers a short sleeved shirt almost year round!

I bought him a tux a couple of months back and the jacket is fine, the pants had to be taken in and up. The tux shirt I bought him is the longest sleeve length I can find, but I know it would look better even a half inch longer. Even in big and tall sizes, you cannot find shirt sleeves any longer than 37 or 38. I'm planning an internet search and hoping I can find one that is affordable (again!).

I have had good luck with Lands End ties, though, they are affordable and they sell many styles in longer lengths. Thank goodness I found him a few ties that don't come up above his belly button :)

Your son is 6'5" and he's only 17? Oh my goodness . . . you must be going through the same thing I did when my 17 year old son was 6"3" (he's now 29 and is also 6'5"). I can remember looking up at him . . . way up (I'm 5'7") and saying something like . . . "did you clean your room and put all your dirty clothes in the hamper?" I remember him looking "down" at me and patting the top of my head saying, "yes Mom . . . room's clean and clothes are in the hamper."

Oh yes, DH gave up many many years ago and just stops even looking. He has all his dress(work) shirts made to measure and the suits as well.

The big challenge here is also shoes for him as he is a size 13 or 14 (depending on the shoe).

We can sympathize as I understand your pain too. The worse is casual clothing. They used to sell RL here which the pants were long enough and the tops fit him and he likes that "look", but alas there is no more RL in Quebec (don't know about the rest of Canada) so bascially any casual clothing he wants he has to either order off the internet or buy when he is in the USA.

That includes sweaters. You'd think that with winter for almost 6 months of the year (or at least chilly weather conditions) they would stock his size and the same with winter boots, that was another challenge.

I'm not jokeing when I say I really do sympathize.

Since you are in the USA, might I suggest Rochester Big & Tall. I think they have a website, not too much on it sometimes, but at least DH was able to buy a raincoat with lining from them that was actually long enough to be considered a coat on him and fit decently. They have a big store in NYC I think around 52nd St and 6th ave. I've only gone with him once but they have wonderful things when I was there. Even even got a bathrobe there a few years ago that was actually long enough to be a useful robe, not one that comes above his knees (he likes his robes mid-calf) and he hates the terry ones.

Also try Landsend, they have a "tall section" that actually comes in sizes where he can get a tall sweater that is not huge in the chest size. He has had very good success with their long sleeved polos for causal wear.

The old president of DH company was also at 6'4 or 6'5 and he got all his casual stuff from landsend. He was quite thin and said he had very good sucess with them for casual wear. I'm surprised at the very large amount of canadian clients they have.

For us it's great, they take care of all duties, customs etc and make it really hassle free to order from them. So does LL Bean actually. Also for returns they not only refund the merchandise price but the duties as well so really overall a very hassle free shopping experience for people living in canada with good choice in sizing for basics. Just ordered and recieved DH a cashmere sweater from them and quite pleased, decent quality for the price and it fit him perfectly.

I hate those stupid leggings that end right above the ankle and are worn under a dress or skirt. That looks so' date=' so tacky. And if your skirt is so short that you need to wear leggings under it to preserve any little bit of modesty you still have, well, baby, it ain't cutting it. You still look like a hootchy mama. [/color']But that's just my opinion.

As for skinny jeans, sure hope they are on the way out. The ones who thin enough to wear them look like they suffer from toothpick legs.

BTW, what the heck are Mom Jeans?

I think that Mommy Jeans are high rise, relaxed fit, with a tapered leg. Stacey & Clinton deem these Jeans a NO NO.

I always choose mid rise with a straight leg. Also dark denim can be dressier & more slimming than lighter shades.

Barb

About today's sizing for womens' wear.

Usually I wear a missy size 12. I can never buy anything, especially tops, without trying on because everything is sooo fitted now. Stretchy, spandex tops reveal all imperfections, so I need to go up a size or two. I wish that manufacturers would produce some relaxed fit knits. Some items look small enough to fit my 5 year old granddaughter.

Barb

I wish that manufacturers would produce some relaxed fit knits. Some items look small enough to fit my 5 year old granddaughter.

Barb

Try Eileen Fisher. Their fit is extremely generous.

Here's a few items from Saks.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductArray.jsp?ViewAllOnly=0&use_parent=0&ShowPage=0&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446143322&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302153507&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395222441&bmUID=1163294634545

and from Bloomingdales

http://search.bloomingdales.com/exec/?PseudoCat=b.comSearch&q=Eileen+Sweaters&x=0&y=0

• 1 month later...

When I first began this thread in mid-November it was because there were so few wearing skinny jeans. Well, now that the holidays are over and having just returned from the malls, I can see what a LOT of people received this year (or purchased with their gift cards): skinny jeans! They were all over the place today! The rumor of their demise was premature.

When I first began this thread in mid-November it was because there were so few wearing skinny jeans. Well, now that the holidays are over and having just returned from the malls, I can see what a LOT of people received this year (or purchased with their gift cards): skinny jeans! They were all over the place today! The rumor of their demise was premature.

Out at the clubs last night I saw one girl that was wearing jeans that would be considered skinny jeans with the very tight leg. I saw hundreds wearing flare leg & boot cut leg jeans. Are skinny jeans already on the way out? Gee, that was quick!

Lord, I hope so.

Jeans, jeans, jeans...I just wish more people knew what size they really are when they go to purchase jeans. I've seen more Muffin Tops lately than in the local bakery. What is the deal with wearing your jeans so tight that you are cutting off circulation to your legs and everything below your belly button is pushed up and over the waistband? This phenomenon is usually paired with ill-fitting t-shirts that accentuate the aforementioned "muffin top". I have seen VERY NICE well shaped young women who absolutely don't know what works on their figures. Sad! :(

Jeans, jeans, jeans...I just wish more people knew what size they really are when they go to purchase jeans. I've seen more Muffin Tops lately than in the local bakery. What is the deal with wearing your jeans so tight that you are cutting off circulation to your legs and everything below your belly button is pushed up and over the waistband? This phenomenon is usually paired with ill-fitting t-shirts that accentuate the aforementioned "muffin top". I have seen VERY NICE well shaped young women who absolutely don't know what works on their figures. Sad! :(

Gosh isn't that the truth!! I don't understand why girls think that lumps of flesh bulging out over their pants is acceptable in any venue. It just amazes me too that many of these girls are young enough that their moms surely have some responsibility to educate their daughters about what looks good, and what does not. :cool:

I wear low cut styles, and have come to love them for comfort, but if they 'smoosh', then they won't be seen on MY bod.

I think that Mommy Jeans are high rise, relaxed fit, with a tapered leg. Stacey & Clinton deem these Jeans a NO NO.

I always choose mid rise with a straight leg. Also dark denim can be dressier & more slimming than lighter shades.

Barb

I always choose a midrise with a boot cut leg, preferrably dark.

I am a size 14, too much "smoosh" (3 C-section!), with GERD. High waists irritate my GERD, and make that smoosh SMUSH out. Those lovely midrise are so nice for the GERD, more flattering for the smoosh (if you have the right fit!), and boot cut is the most flattering for all body types. I have been assured by one of the most chic, hip boutiques in town that while straight leg is "now", boot cut is still VERY much in style, as most of us will NOT find those straight legs flattering...

Now, if I were 20 years younger....

Archived