New Le Bistro Menu

jentroubles

What are your thoughts on the new LeBistro Menu?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the new LeBistro Menu?

• Chicken with Oyster Sauce? Sure, I welcome something new!
    • Waaah! I want my signature dishes back! Filet and Fondue forever!
    • Ala Cagney's I'd be willing to pay a premium for my filet and/or fondue!
    • Le Bistro?? Le What? I eat at Le Buffet anyway.

Believe me I know...I hate change.

I do not have the extended experience many of you have, with Le Bistro. I've been on one NCL cruise. However we made a point of eating in Le Bistro our first night out...I had heard so many wonderful things about this restaurant, we all looked forward to our dining experience.

All 4 of us loved our dinner...it was a total package...the service was superb, the food was excellent, I ate right next to a Renoir for G'd's sake...where oh where on the entire Earth can one do that???

I really enjoyed the fondue but I found it to be a bit too much (read that "too rich") after such a lovely dinner.

I've looked over the new menu and, although I too would be in the minority, it looks pretty good. I look forward to my next dinner at Le Bistro...albeit will be on the Pearl next Fall.

I hate change too...I really do. But I've also found that sometimes it's not such a bad thing either.

Ciao,

W A W W

I look so forward to DINNING, at La Bistro rather that eating at the other resturants on NCL. I usually do Bistro twice and Cagney's once or maybe twice per cruise. I think I will be disappointed with the new bill of fare, but,but,but I will still attend!!!!! I will find something to love, I always do.

TOM:confused:

Since we eat beef (NY strip, prime rib, etc) at least 3 times a week now anyway, certainly won't miss the filet mignon. The duck "reads" delicious and will most likely try that. As for the chocolate fondue, we're usually too full from double orders of escargot, salad, soup, entree, etc to even HAVE dessert so for us it's no worry.

I'm looking forward to all of the new menus. Anyone seen if Cagney's made any changes?

You pay $15 for your meal at LeBistro. The charge covers everything from appetizers, soup, salad, main course and desert. As mentioned by others, you can have double orders of an appetizers instead of the main course.

Try to book a reservation early (5:30) when it's two for one.

Actually, someone posted a picture of the new menu and there is an extra $10 pp(for a total of $25) surcharge for the items on the last page.

I am anxiously awaiting our first NCL cruise on the Dawn in Jan/07. I do not eat red meat so the filet makes no difference to me but I was looking forward to the famous chocolate fondue. Good thing I LOVE creme brulee, which IS on the new menu:)

Sara

Now I'm really disappointed. I took a closer look at the menu and my favorite soup is gone too. The soup was a broth with sliver cut carrots and then with a flaky pastry baked on top of the bowl. I don't think we will go to Le Bistro anymore! My DH doesn't care for any of the entres and I'm missing three of my favorites... filet, the soup and fondue.:(

Change is always good? There's a new head chef in town. He's going to want to cook different things. Just what would happen in a shoreside French restaurant.

Reflect with me a little. In very early 2004, NCL only had four ships out of nine with more than one speciality restaurant, they were the Sky, Sun, Star, and Dawn. Cagney's Steakhouse was only aboard the Dawn. The Sky, Sun, and Star didn't have a Steakhouse style restaurant. That's just one ship. Today, all four of these have a Steakhouse style restaurant with the Sky's remodelling into the Pride of Aloha, additionally the Spirit, Jewel, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl and soon the Gem will have a Steakhouse style restaurant. From one ship just three years ago to nine and next year to ten ships. The only ships left after next year with just one speciality restaurant, the Le Bristo, will be the Dream and Majesty.

Significant changes have occurred over a few short years as NCL has built newer Freestyle ships, and remodeled a few older Freestyle built ships. I'm not surprised to see "Fillet" steaks being removed from its French style restaurant, when there's plenty of other French entrees to choose from.

Although I am hoping the Cagney's menu picks it up.

Is Chocolate Fundue a French dessert? Could another style restaurant pick it up? From http://www.easy-appetizer-recipes.com/fondue-history.html

Truly epic, fondue history starts with a recipe in Homer's Iliad (Song XI). Doesn't it stand to reason that the mixture described of Pramnos wine, grated goat's cheese and white flour was a fondue?

Well, whether that's what Homer was describing or not, fondue history states that the warm cheese dish originated in Switzerland but more specifically in the Canton of Neuchatel.

According to history experts, fondue consists of at least two varieties of cheeses that are melted with wine and a bit of flour. It's served communally out of pot called a "caquelon". Long forks are used by each guest to spear a cube of bread then the bread is dipped into the cheese and eaten.

Since when has NCL called Le Bristo a Swiss Restaurant?:rolleyes:

The only ships left after next year with just one speciality restaurant, the Le Bristo, will be the Dream and Majesty.

And again, the reason why I'm making an issue of this is I will be on the Majesty this December. I was looking forward to some good old style LeBistro menus. Not being a fan of seafood, and being a fan of both the filet and fondue- I'm concerned. I could care less about the "cuisine" or what the history is. (and this is coming from a history professor)

Given that the Majesty has one pay restaurant.....you can bet I'm dissapointed at the new menu-- mainly because I don't have the luxury of Cagney's, Teppanyaki or any of the others.

And again, the reason why I'm making an issue of this is I will be on the Majesty this December. I was looking forward to some good old style LeBistro menus. Not being a fan of seafood, and being a fan of both the filet and fondue- I'm concerned. I could care less about the "cuisine" or what the history is. (and this is coming from a history professor)

Given that the Majesty has one pay restaurant.....you can bet I'm dissapointed at the new menu-- mainly because I don't have the luxury of Cagney's, Teppanyaki or any of the others.

I also feel your pain, as Houston's ship this winter is the Dream, another one of the one speciality restaurant ships. Never-the-less, I can understand why there are changes.

hotspur--- apparently no one ever told you that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your comments to yourself. I am entitled to my opinion which attacks no one. Your opinion does. Personal attacks are uncalled for and what gives these boards a bad reputation.

My point is, given that this ship has limited specialty restaurant choices, they should appeal to wide audience.

[quote name='jentroubles']And again, the reason why I'm making an issue of this is I will be on the Majesty this December. I was looking forward to some good old style LeBistro menus. Not being a fan of seafood, and being a fan of both the filet and fondue- I'm concerned. I could care less about the "cuisine" or what the history is. (and this is coming from a history professor)

Given that the Majesty has one pay restaurant.....you can bet I'm dissapointed at the new menu-- mainly because I don't have the luxury of Cagney's, Teppanyaki or any of the others.[/quote]

[COLOR=darkslateblue]If there are no other speciality restaurants then I totally understand your point of view here. I would be disappointed too. They could have made it a more "generalized menu". Perhaps but Cagney's instead of Le Bistro on the ship.....which would have appealed to a wider range of people. [/COLOR]

I might get nailed for saying this, ;) but I am actually looking forward to a new menu next year on Le Bistro (we sail in June). I've eaten at 2 Le Bistros only (2 cruises since 2003...I wish I could sail as often as some of you!!), and look forward more to having a new menu than to having the same menu for the 3rd time.

I also understand that it seems a lot of people eat at Le Bistro several times during a cruise, and they look forward to particular dishes, like the filet and fondue. But I think we should give the new menu a try. Don't knock it till you've tried it! :D

[quote name='jentroubles']hotspur--- apparently no one ever told you that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your comments to yourself. I am entitled to my opinion which attacks no one. Your opinion does. Personal attacks are uncalled for and what gives these boards a bad reputation.

My point is, given that this ship has limited specialty restaurant choices, they should appeal to wide audience.[/quote]
jentroubles... good post and correctly stated... thanks... you saved several of us the time to make a similiar post... enjoy your cruise....

We are disappointed. We loved the filet and choc. fondue! And that was one of the main reasons we got the romance package that includes a dinner for 2 in LeBristo. Now- they changed the menu- so while it may seem silly to some for them to serve filet in 2 places- I sure wish they still would! Neither of us like fish seafood so it looks like chicken! But wait- we don't like oysters either... so there goes the chicken! On the good side- I love the mushroom soup in the bread bowl- and it's still there. And as far as Cagney's- we tried it and found that filet to not be nearly as good!

Does anyone know if they still have filet in the main dining rooms?

IMHO if they changed the menus in the main restaurants and, [B]again[/B], did not change the menus in the speciality restaurants, they (NCL) would, [B]again[/B], receive complaints.

If they lose business in the coming months in the speciality restaurants, they will be forced to return to the old menus.

I loved Le Bistro's menu but I'm willing to try the new one.

Another adventure:)

[quote name='jentroubles']hotspur--- apparently no one ever told you that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your comments to yourself. I am entitled to my opinion which attacks no one. Your opinion does. Personal attacks are uncalled for and what gives these boards a bad reputation.

My point is, given that this ship has limited specialty restaurant choices, they should appeal to wide audience.[/QUOTE]
And my point is that if someone has a very narrow taste in food, he or she shouldn't blame the ship for having few choices that appeal. Sorry if the shoe fits...

And my point is that if someone has a very narrow taste in food, he or she shouldn't blame the ship for having few choices that appeal. Sorry if the shoe fits...

there is a difference between very few "good choices" and a "narrow taste in food".... I enjoy a lot of different foods but many of the menu items I have seen haven't been appetizing in the least and the main dining room items have seemed to be getting "localized" or narrow in general. I don't want an "Italian" night .... etc...

Archived