travel insurance and sick dog

paulbmc

we are schduled to leave on the zuiderdam on 11/25/2006, and our dog "teddy" just had very extensive surgery. teddy is coming home today and will need alot of individual care. we talked with our travel agent and it appears we have no options, other than to go on the cruise or lose all of our money for the cruise and airfare. my question is, has anyone had a similar experience and found a way to have a better outcome? thanks for any help in advance. we did take out travel insurance, but this appears not to be covered.

Sorry to hear about your dog. What non dog owners tend not to see is that they are members of the family.

Your travel insurance is named peril policy. In other words your situation is not listed. We now use HAL's insurance since it allows you to cancel out for "any" reason so long as it is at least a day prior to sailing, and they only cover 80 to 90% or your fair. The other thing that I like about HAL,s policy is that as I get older their price remains the same where other insurance premiums rise.

The airline ticket should be transferable to a later date - for a $50 fee.

Thankfully i haven't been in a situation like this, but being an animal lover i really feel for your dilema.

I have 2 dogs and a cat. my one dog is older in age and sulks, won't eat much when we're gone etc. Although they're in good hands i worry tremendously about him when we're gone. My other dog though, couldn't care less when we're gone as long as someone feeds her and throws her a toy. My mother in-law moves in when we're away and is now retired, so they are very well looked after. (but i still worry about the older one)

All i can suggest is that you know your Teddy better than anyone...and you know his 'personality'. Is he normally ok when you go away? Do you have loved ones that can stay with him?

Is he used to you going away?

Also, how much do you worry about him normally when you travel?

Only you and your family can answer all these questions.

Non animal lovers dont' understand that our pets are our family members and how much you'll worry about them if the right measurments aren't in place will really impact the overall enjoyment of your vacation.

You can still go on your cruise and have a great time. just make sure what ever you do, you're happy with your decision

We always buy travel insurance not from the Cruise Lines...but we use this firm ***** and they even have a FREE DATA Base and QUOTE search too.

On pets which have and love all animals big and small low and tall ..yes them all...

Do you have Pet Insurance as well?

A family member or close friend may be what youall end up having care for your dog?

What breed is Teddy?

we are schduled to leave on the zuiderdam on 11/25/2006, and our dog "teddy" just had very extensive surgery. teddy is coming home today and will need alot of individual care. we talked with our travel agent and it appears we have no options, other than to go on the cruise or lose all of our money for the cruise and airfare. my question is, has anyone had a similar experience and found a way to have a better outcome? thanks for any help in advance. we did take out travel insurance, but this appears not to be covered.

So sorry to hear about your dear Teddy. Hopefully he will make a good recovery.

The only insurance I know of that could have helped you in this situation would have been HAL's Platinum Coverage. It allows cancellation for any reason. There are upsides to buying cruise line insurance and there are down sides.

Sorry to hear about the surgery, but hopefully Teddy will make a full recovery.

The only insurance that would cover this is the type that has "cancel for any reason". Hal sells this but there is also another company or two that has this available. I don't recall the names but I saw it on insuremytrip.com. You do pay a premium for this. You may want to look into this for future trips.

You don't have many options.

• Cancel and loose all your money
  • Give it to a family member or friend - This must be done immediatly and the TA can notify the cruise line.
  • Sell it at a reduced rate to a family member or friend. Same thing, it must be done now.
  • Perhaps you could leave Teddy with your Vet and go on the cruise. I do realize you would both be very worried about him. At least at the Vet's he would have the proper care needed.

teddy is a 12 year old bichon and lives with lilly our other bichon. we have considered leaveing him with the vet but he has been thru alot and we would like to get him home with lilly, where he will be most confortable. we would especially like to do this cruise because my brother, cousin and their wives will be onboard. thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

We quit leaving our dog at the kennel as he got older, and we now have a wonderful house / dog sitter. Toby is as happy as a pig in the sunshine - well, almost - but it does relieve the stress of leaving him. He is in his own home with familiar things so he does very well in our absence.

I know it is a little late now to start the search so enlist everyone you know to help you think of a suitable person to stay with Teddy - family, friend, neighbor, church, maybe one of the employees at the vet's office. What was your plan before the dog had surgery?

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery.

Oh dear, just know where you're coming from. You're best bet IMHO is to leave Teddy with the Vet, assuming of course that you trust him/her and also that Teddy is content. I think it's important that you don't bring him home and then take him back to the Vet......that would be upsetting.

No question it will cost a bundle and you will worry but recovering sick dogs require peace and quite (like people) and all prescribed meds on schedule. Leave Teddy with his fav. bedding and maybe a toy.

Who looks after Lilly? If this person is well known to both dogs the scene changes, and Teddy could be fine at home. Alternatively, maybe Lilly could be boarded too, in the cage next to Teddy.

Hard choice :( but it's that or cancel I'm afraid. .

How awful for you! Our animals (2 dogs and 1 cat) are shamelessly spoiled and we always worry about them when we are away. I can imagine how hard it would be knowing one of them has just had major surgery!

I do understand your hesitation to leave Teddy at the Vet - we have long known our guys do so much better in their own surroundings. I think if I had to board them I would give up cruising!

If Teddy's recovery is going well and you have someone to stay at your house and look after both dogs, I'll bet all will be fine. It's a very tough call but, the more days you get past surgery without incident, the better it will look.

Sail7Seas,

You are correct...

Yes HAL's Platinum Cancellation Insurance.

But they have Pet Insurance too for a while now...:cool:

Call your Vet and ask Him/Her about that or your Trusted Insurance Agent that has P&C licences too.:D

So sorry to hear about your dear Teddy. Hopefully he will make a good recovery.

The only insurance I know of that could have helped you in this situation would have been HAL's Platinum Coverage. It allows cancellation for any reason. There are upsides to buying cruise line insurance and there are down sides.

teddys home and doing a little better than expected. now lillys going to the vet because of a leg problem. hopefully its not serious. we still have one of our sons living with us, so he can help out at night. we always try to have a dog sitter come in once or twice a day depending on my sons work schedule. so we are going to see how teddy is doing over the next day or two, and then make a last minute decision. thanks for all the advice.

Looks to me like you have an ideal situation!! We live in VT and have been lucky enough to have a daughter in CT who will look lovingly after our dogs while we are gone. Our old and ailing Chesepeake Bay Retriever spent may a happy time with the grandchildren. Our new little miniature poodle looks forward to the trips "south". it is like leaving a child--guess it;s "old age" that brings that one. Anyway, it sounds that you can leave guilt-free. Enjoy!

teddys home and doing a little better than expected. now lillys going to the vet because of a leg problem. hopefully its not serious. we still have one of our sons living with us, so he can help out at night. we always try to have a dog sitter come in once or twice a day depending on my sons work schedule. so we are going to see how teddy is doing over the next day or two, and then make a last minute decision. thanks for all the advice.

Paul, my heart goes out to you. We have 3 Bichons, including a Teddy...so I know you you feel. I would go with leaving Teddy at the vet. He/she is the one that would recognize if something is wrong post surgery and be able to correct it.

I know how difficult this time is for you. Our pets are our family and it would be very difficult to just go on the cruise without feeling good about leaving Teddy behind. If Teddy and Lilly could stay together at the Vet's you know they would be in good hands and have each other for company. I had a couple of long haired chihuahuas (sisters) that I boarded together at the Vet's when my family had to leave town for a few days. They were not ill but I wanted them to be together and well cared for. We went on the trip and were able to relax and enjoy ourselves knowing the dogs were in good hands. When we returned it was a happy reunion. Whatever you decide I wish Teddy and Lilly both a speedy recovery!

Paul... so sorry to hear about Teddy and Lily. I hope they're both doing well and you'll have peace of mind while you're away. I have four cats and often take longer cruises. I couldn't/wouldn't do it without knowing I have a pet-sitter who comes twice a day and spends almost an hour each time.

Good luck with your pets.

lilly is ok, just a pulled muscle. teddy is doing good, but there is still alot of bleeding from his surgery. the bottomline is we do not feal confortable leaving teddy at this point. we investigated the possiablity of giving away the tickets, but it would cost $328 for a name change and we would only be able to change one name on our booking. it would have been difficult to find a friend or relative and thier spouse that would go on such short notice. and even more difficult to find someone who would go all alone. hal would give me back $144 on the whole booking if i cancel, that is $77 apiece. so what we have decided to do is keep the booking alive and try to meet the ship in tortola on tuesday, if teddy is much better.

Are you sure you can't go? We had this happen with one of our dogs one time. It was before we had kids and she was definitely our baby but we did end up leaving her with the vet and going on our holiday. We were worried but we called home a few times and she did fine. They were able to keep her more quiet and contained and it actually helped with her recovery. It did cost us but if you're considering flying in to catch the ship that would cost more I'm sure. With all the internet cafes in ports now you can even call home cheaply to find out. Keep thinking about it.:)

Paul....I'm so sorry for your trouble. Our Golden Retriever is our baby and I can truly understand your concern about leaving Teddy. I'd feel the same. We are 9 days from sailing on the QM2 and leaving our "baby" for the first time in his 4 years. He'll be with his favorite vet, with a staff that treats him like royalty when he comes for visits. He's a certified Therapy Dog and the kennel girl has offered to do his training lesson s each day so things will feel "normal" to him. I am still a wreck thinking about it, and he's in perfect health. Perhaps the vet is the best place for Teddy to be...along with the comfort of having his buddy with him...at least that way you will know that the minute he needs medical help it will be right there and having his buddy along should help to keep him calm. I wish you good luck and hope all will be well for teddy and you.

Cheers, Penny

Wa are such dog nuts that we quit cruising when our other two dogs got old. We now have a couple of young ones and will go while they are still young. I am sure we will stay home when they get older as well. Did you check to see if a veterinary nurse or tech from you local hospital could stop in to check on Teddy?? Good luck and best of health to Teddy and Lily.

Archived