Which Carnival Ruins Excursions?

Marietta

Yes, he can walk unassisted just fine, even up and down steps. He just tires out going long distances and doesn't do well standing for long periods of time. Yes, the manual chair we have rented is collapsible.

Where exactly on Carnival's site did you find the info about the excursions from Progreso? We were supposed to go to Costa Maya (pre-hurricane Dean) and Carnival still has Costa Maya listed as our port (with no available excursions), even though Cruise Critic reports no one is going there currently.

I'm assuming we are going to Progreso, but have no way of knowing what excursions are available.

Thanks for any info,

dd's mom

OP stated that Uxmal is a 6.5 hour trip. How long is the actual travel time there? We are cruising the Legend in April and if Costa Maya is not ready (we had planned on the ruins there) we can do the ruins here. Our DS is so looking forward to the ruins (he is 13).

I just looked at another post and it said that Uxmal is about 2 hours away. I have a bad back and I don't know if a two hour bus ride there and two hours at the ruins and two hours back to the ship is a deal:rolleyes:

I don't think my DH will go for that long of a ride for two hours

at the ruins:(

An I wrong about the time (I hope so)

It's actually between a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour ride to get to Uxmal. The bus driver took us through some little towns in the Yucatan and we made one stop at a little shop that had water and souvenirs. However, on the way back the bus driver took us straight back to Progreso on the highway and it was about a 1 1/2 hour drive without stopping. We got back with about 1 hour to shop at the terminal shops. As far as a wheelchair, the terrain is most grassy and hilly with no paths for a wheelchair. Information regarding the excursion states, "This is an active excursion involving a lot of walking and stair climbing." Hope this helps. Travelgirl

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely do your own thing at the ruins. You may want to start out with your tour and if the pace is too fast, just slow down and take your time. The only disadvantage is not knowing the layout of the ruins and not hearing a description of the different pyramids and palaces. There are numerous tours throughout Uxmal so you could possibly catch another tour's guide in different locations. It is very interesting to know the Mayan history behind Uxmal. Travelgirl

It sounds like Uxmal is the place to see. We would really like to climb one if we can, and if they are still letting people do the one at Uxmal then I guess that seals the deal! :)

Now to talk my husband out of the Rodeo...

Thank you all for all of the help!!!

The Mexican rodeo that you and your DH will see will NOT be a "YEE HAH!" type of rodeo...steer riding, calf roping, bronco riding, ect.

It will be a show more like the Westernaires put on... http://www.westernaires.org/

or a 4H club would put on for you. A lot of rope tricks, riding feats and horse tricks along with some Mexican folk singing and dancing while in their native dress.

My DW and I really enjoyed the rodeo show and the buffet was really great tasting and not Americanized.

I have photos that I took while there but am not sure how to go about posting them on this board. :confused:

If you don't tell him...he won't know and YOU I bet will enjoy it! You will be a wonderful wife for going along with something he wants to do. LOL :D ...and I bet he will enjoy it also!

Don

Our choices are:

Chichen Itza - 7hrs for $79

Dzibilchaltun w/ Mexican Rodeo - 5.5 hrs for $79

Uxmal & Lunch - 6.5hrs for $71

OK, from what we saw this week on the Glory in Progresso.

1st they had Mayan Ruins with Beach Break instead of Rodeo.

Which was Dzilbilchaltun and the Beach right at the foot of the 6 mile pier.

Some friends from the first day we bumped into that night told us the beach was merely OK and the ruins there were pretty small.

We signed up for the Uxmal Mayan ruins on the advice of many on the Progresso boards and will forever be grateful.

They had stated that the ruins were similarly impressive sizewise.

Just the Uxmal site wasn't as known or fully excavated yet, like Chitzen Itza.

Another plus was the fact that Chitzen Itza is now almost enitrely roped off and you can't walk or climb on any of the ruins.

At Uxmal, there was a tiny roped off area at the foot of the massive Magician's Temple with a sign asking to please not climb and one other roped off area around the still intact hoop at the ancient ball court.

That was it.

Everything else was open to be walked through, in, on or up.

Also many posters noted that Chitzen Itza suffers from huge lines and waits to see various temples, due to the huge number of ships excursions and land based visitors every day. (someone compared it to waiting in lines all day at Disney World for rides)

We were the only ship in port.

We docked and got off the ship and had to walk down the branch of the pier a hundred yards or so, to where there was a duty free shop and some small shops, right there at the pier, by the ship. (not 6 miles up the pier in town. And the pier IS indeed 6 miles. Doesn't look like it from the deck of the ship, but when you drive it, you quickly realize it is.)

Behind the duty free shop was a plaza where they had roped lines for people waiting for excursions.

Right away we knew we had made the correct choice.

The Chitzen Itza line was right next to ours and the Mayan Ruins/Beachbreak was on the other side of us. (maybe 30 people or so in line)

We watched as they filled 4 huge busses for Chitzen Itza (about 40-50 per bus), then 2 busses for a crew only excursion there, then they already had another 20 people lined up for a 5th passenger bus, before we went to our van.

The van was air conditioned and indecent shape. Not ultra plush or anything.

The "lunch" was a baggie with a piece of ruit, a sandwich and a bag of chips that Carnival had given the guide for us.

Our excursion had a total of 12 people.

It took us about an hour and a half to get there, not counting a 30 minute stop on the way in a Mayan Village to walk through a huge Catholic Church built froma demoloshed Mayan Temple.

Then another 10 minute stop on the top of the highest hill just before Uxmal, where we could see Uxmal and 3 other Mayan sites from the amazing view.

At Uxmal, there was a nice visitors center, with a tiny museum to wander through, large, clean bathrooms and a handful of shops to buy some snacks or drinks. (but they only accepted Peso's here, so make sure to get some at the purser's desk before you debark, so you don't have to mooch off your fellow excursioner's like we did.)

The first thing you arrive at is the huge Magician's temple, which was an awesome site to behold.

Then you head to the right and climb a bit to some buildings to the right of the temple.(where like I said, we were able to walk in through and climb on)

Then you head up some more to the left to the school area of the ruins which was very impressive, which much of the details in the carvings still plainly visible.

Then you head down to the ball field area.

Then over to the left some more and up some huge steps to another huge temple. (not pyramid) Which again we were able to climb up another set of steps and walk all throughout.

Here the guide stopped and told us we had an hour to tour on our own and meet back at the visitors center.

There was another huge pyramid/temple directly behind the one we were in, that hadn't been fully excavated yet, that most of us went over to and climbed up and into.

The views from all the various vantage points at the top of hills and temples was breathtaking.

We all bought a few drinks and piled into the van for the hour and 1/2 ride back to the ship.

After a couple of us on the Uxmal excursion spoke to some of the Chitzen Itza people that night, we were all glad we did Uxmal, as the Chitzen Itza's confirmed that they indeed did not climb on anything or get to get close to almost anything. (let alone walk through or on the majority of the site like we did.)

When we arrived back we had 30 minutes to quickly breeze through the handful of shops there right next to the ship. (but after the suitcase full of deals we had picked up at Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel the day before, we didn't need much.)

Since we had a Mayan Ruins excursion planned in Belize anyway, I was extremely pleased with Progresso being substituted for Belize. (if I had planeed on scuba or snorkleing, I would not have been)

Bill

Bill -- thanks for posting your detailed review. We are going to Progreso in January and are trying to decide what to do. I really want to go to Chichen Itza, but the crowd sizes sound immense. Thanks again for taking the time to report back~!

No problem.

Hopefully somebdoy with first hand knowledge of Chitzen Itza recently will post back with specifics for you, rather than the 2nd hand info I got.

Bill

Bill

Thanks for posting. We're on the Glory 10/20 and are stopping in Progresso. This was the tour I was considering and you help make up my mind. I'm excited about seeing these ruins. Appreciate for the heads up about getting pesos for the shops at Uxmal. Is it pretty easy to get pesos at the purser's desk?

Thanks!

I really want to go to Uxmal. My husband wants to go to Merida. I know we could just go our own separate ways, but I hate to miss out on Merida. Do you think I could get both in during our stop? (Carnival Fantasy 2/08).

Has Anyone seen them on the shore excursions that are on the Carnival listing as of today. Do we have to wait til we board or what. I was told they would be posted today. I see no ruin excusions as of yet. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our ship sails on Monday. I called this past weekend because SOME excursions for Progreso were showing up, but no ruins ones. She told me (from Carnival) they would be posted on Weds (today.) I checked this morning and it won't let me even see them because we're now too close to sailing to book. Wish she'd told me that this weekend! So I guess we'll try booking while on board; I don't see any other options. I sure hope Chichen Itza or Uxmal are available!

I spoke to Carnival on Wed and they told me they were backed up for excursions and they had no control, as it was the excusion carrier themselves but to go to the ex desk on board and we can book once we get on the ship. So hopefully you'll get to the ruins also. Have fun!

We are considering going to Merida when we dock at Progresso next month, but really don't want to do the Carnival Excursion. Has anyone done this by booking a taxi once you get off the ship? Or does anyone know of any websites where we can pre-book a van or taxi for this? We would also lilke to know the cost and time involved in getting a taxi once we get off the ship. Are most of the taxi's air conditioned in Progresso?

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed the Fantasy on 10/6/07 and the ruins did not show up online either, but when we got onboard they were listed on the excursions list. Here are the tours available and their prices...

Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins $69

Dzibilchaltun Ruins $51

Dzibilchaltun Ruins, Mexican Buffet and Horse Show $79 adult and $66

Mayan Ruins and beach break combo $99 adult and $89 Child

Uxmal Mayan Ruins and Lunch $69

I will hopefully be scanning in my shore excursion lists and capers this weekend, so if you have any questions before I post all my info about any excursions just let me know. Hope this info helps

By the way, we went to Chichen Itza, it was amazing but two hours is not nearly enough time to even begin exploring this place. And no, you cannot climb anything. Our tour guide explained that in Mayan culuture, Chichen Itza is like the King while Uxmal is the queen (meaning Uxmal is the prettier of the two and more decorative, so if you are interested in the carvings and all that jazz then Uxmal may be the way to go)

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this reply to a question about Uxmal v Chichen Itza on this same board...

=====

Have not taken a cruise related tour to these sites. You can go to the Carnival web site and search Shore Excursions for Progresso/Merida for more details..

Expect to travel....

From Progresso to Merida. about 25/30 miles.

From Merida to Uxmal...... about 45/50 miles.

From Merida to Chichen... about 75/80 miles.

Tour notes 7.0 hrs for Chichen Itza (5 of that is travel) leaving you about 2 hours on site.

Travel time for Uxmal slightly shorter (4.5 hr) but with total tour time of 6.5 hrs, you still only get about 2 hrs on site.

I have been to both sites on ground tours and would recommend Chichen Itza if you have to choose one over the other.

Would also recommend, if you can find, travel books by Richard Bloomgarden.. "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza" and "The Easy Guide to Uxmal". I have learned that these books have been out of print since 1992 but you can still find them out there. I am sure any Borders - Barnes&Noble have similar books.

from the introduction of "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza"... (1975).

"The archaeological zone of Chichen Itza is one of the most visited regions of Mexico. This is the largest zone in the Yucatan and one of the best preserved sites that you could see. Anyone who visits Merida should make a very special effort to spend at least one day sightseeing here amidst the glories if the past."

No matter which site you visit, it is in your best interest to have some prior knowledge of what you are going to see. Your guide will be trying to tell you a little bit about everything and you may miss some of the more subtle facts of the site. Get a guide book - do your homework - impress your friends!;)

I really want to go to Uxmal. My husband wants to go to Merida. I know we could just go our own separate ways, but I hate to miss out on Merida. Do you think I could get both in during our stop? (Carnival Fantasy 2/08).

I really don't think so. The trip to Uxmal takes nearly all day - we had an hour left when we returned to shop at the Progreso Terminal shops. When we did Merida, we got back about 2:30 p.m. There's just not enough time to do both. Travelgirl

• 3 months later...

We are going on Carnival Cruise (Fantasy) in March. It sounds like the Uxmal ruins are the thing to do in Progreso. I have two children (9 year old girl and 4 year old boy). The 9 year old is wanting to see the ruins and I think she would do fine. Anybody have experience taking a child around 4 to Uxmal or did you see a lot of children that age there? I think he may like it since he can climb on things but, long drive, heat, and lots of walking are what I am questioning.

Archived