do without freestyle dining

sea-u-later

Sorry in advance to those of you who have answered this question many times before. We will be cruising {love that word} on the Sun Feb. the 18-25th. There is a group of nine of us. We are all teachers and are very structured, meaning that we like to have set times. Being that time of year will be very crowed, we are worried that the seating times could bring a long wait. OK, here's the question, where and when can we make resevations to have the same table at the same time each and every night? Is there a place to go as soon as we board, or is this something I can do before we leave? Many thanks in advance.

i know when my wife and i wanted to make a reservation, the hostess said they only take reservations for 6 and more, which you meet. we went to the dining room the first day, there were folks there to take the reservation.

Go to the dining room on your first day - your group is large enough to make reservations. But note - I believe they will only take reservations in the dining rooms for two specific times (not sure what they are).

Hopefully someone who has actually had to do this will reply.

If you can wait til 7:30 or so, see Alex (Matre'd in the 7 Seas) or call him #85 on your room phone. Tell him you want to sit at ChiChi's table about that time every night. He was great about accomodating our group of 8 to 18. ChiChi is amazing and fun.

Go to the dining room on your first day - your group is large enough to make reservations. But note - I believe they will only take reservations in the dining rooms for two specific times (not sure what they are).

Hopefully someone who has actually had to do this will reply.

If you just go to the front desk they will tell you 5:30 or 8:30 only. See my reply about Alex. Be aware dinner will always last around 2 hours in the dining rooms. (freestyle)

If you just go to the front desk they will tell you 5:30 or 8:30 only. See my reply about Alex. Be aware dinner will always last around 2 hours in the dining rooms. (freestyle)

People are always so rushed now, that they forget that a decent dinner with several courses should last about 2 hours. When I was in Italy several years ago dinner was like a 3-4 hour event every night. It's kind of funny, my wife is an elementary school teacher and she hates things being structured when she's off.

Have a great trip,

Michael

Have a good trip,

In our 55 nights of freestyle dinners, if it's taken two hours for dinner in the dining rooms more than twice I'd be surprised.

Now with traditional dining, it's a whole 'nother story. Plan on choosing between dessert and the show much of the time.

i know when my wife and i wanted to make a reservation, the hostess said they only take reservations for 6 and more, which you meet. we went to the dining room the first day, there were folks there to take the reservation.

Let see if I understand this. If we are a party of 4 we can not make reservations upon boarding. I have not seen this policy before. When I made the reservation for the cruise the NCl rep stated that you can make your reservation for the specialty restaurants once on board. But you are saying it has to be 6 or more people to make a reservation. If that is the case then small groups can not set a time to eat - once boarding the ship - in the specialty restaurants? Which one is the correct answer?

Now Confused and I really need . . .

CruiseHealing

Let see if I understand this. If we are a party of 4 we can not make reservations upon boarding. I have not seen this policy before. When I made the reservation for the cruise the NCl rep stated that you can make your reservation for the specialty restaurants once on board. But you are saying it has to be 6 or more people to make a reservation. If that is the case then small groups can not set a time to eat - once boarding the ship - in the specialty restaurants? Which one is the correct answer?

CruiseHealing

It's not as confusing as you believe it is.

It doesn't matter what size your party is to make reservations at the Speciality Restaurants. You must make reservations for them.

But it does matter what the size of your party is at the Main Restaurants. You don't have to make reservations for them. You can just show up and get a seat. They will allow large parties to make reservations, but discourage small parties from doing so.

If this doesn't makes sense, you haven't reserved tables at shore side restaurants before. It's basically the same thing.........

CruiseHealing

"Specialty" restaurants - much smaller than dining rooms - reservations are REQUIRED for any sized party (including just two people)(although if there are just a couple of you, you can sometimes just turn up and get lucky).

"Main Dining rooms" (very large) - reservations are only allowed for larger groups (6 or more). We usually are a party of 3 and never had any problem being seated promptly (our longest wait to be seated was less than 10 minutes). HOWEVER on "lobster" night, I highly recommend dining early (before 6:30) or late (8PM or later) because everyone seems to turn up at 7PM that night. It was the only day and time we saw long lines to get into the main dining rooms. We had figured it was a good night to dine early and were seated immediately at 6PM.

Good Luck - believe me it's really not complicated at all.

It's kind of funny, my wife is an elementary school teacher and she hates things being structured when she's off.

:D LOL ... I teach high school, but I'm the same way. I'm forced to eat lunch at the same time every work day of the year...I want to be able to eat whenever I want while I'm on vacation.

Thanks Zeno, your explanation is what I understood it to be. After reading electricron I was more confused because he seems to be more interested by insulting me by saying I may never have made reservations on shore before. He just shows his stupidity because I was addressing someone’s misstatement above, which I had questioned,

And to electricron: this comment, “If this doesn't makes sense, you haven't reserved tables at shore side restaurants before. It's basically the same thing.........” I have lived in Florida for many years and still do, and I have dealt with “Shore Side Restaurants” (your words, although I have never heard anyone in FL use that term before, it sounds more like a Jersey Shore comment.), including some of the finer establishments from Ponte Verde to the light house (if you live in FL you know what that means). My question addressed the contradiction that someone stated that only 6 people or more can make reservations. Some of the finest FL restaurants along the beach (FL term) require reservations, regardless of how many people are in your party. That is why I questioned the 6+ requirement, because no one has ever stated this before. This is my first NCL Cruise but not my first cruise. We average 2+ cruises per year, but have never freestyled before, so excuse me for having some questions. But you know, if you can not handle some basic questions with respect; from a fellow cruiser, maybe you should not be addressing questions on this website. This site is about helping people, not belittling them. If you are just trying to impress someone with your obnoxious comments you are just showing everyone that you are really unsophisticated and small minded. Are you not better than that?

And finally, in Florida, Bahamas and the Caribbean, it is not “the shore”. That is in New Jersey and Long Island term. If you come to FL and say “the shore” we know immediately that you are just another yankee. Now do not take that term “Yankee” the wrong way. Floridians love Yankees! If it wasn’t for yankees visiting the Sunshine State to see Mickey or jump on a cruise ship, we would have a state income tax. I lived in PA many years ago (and hated it) and what I save in state income tax now pays for 2+ cruises per year. Boy do I love Yankees.

Florida = Mickey, NASA, HQ for the Cruise Industry, Low Cost of Living and . .

CruiseHealing

Hi,

We just got back from the Majesty. It is one of the smaller ships. We like to eat early, so would usually get there around 5:30 and would be seated immedialtely. When we were leaving, around 6:45 or 7, there would be people waiting. There were only four in our group and we were asked if we would like to share or not share. No Problems!:)

Thanks Zeno, your explanation is what I understood it to be. After reading electricron I was more confused because he seems to be more interested by insulting me by saying I may never have made reservations on shore before. He just shows his stupidity because I was addressing someone’s misstatement above, which I had questioned,

My question addressed the contradiction that someone stated that only 6 people or more can make reservations. Some of the finest FL restaurants along the beach (FL term) require reservations, regardless of how many people are in your party. That is why I questioned the 6+ requirement, because no one has ever stated this before.

Florida = Mickey, NASA, HQ for the Cruise Industry, Low Cost of Living and . .

CruiseHealing

I was more interested answering your question than flaming you.

You've confused what someone wrote about the Main Restaurants with what someone wrote about the Specialiity Restaurants. I didn't want to be rude and point that out in my first reply. But with your rude response to my first reply, so what! I forgive you! ;)

I answered your question in my first reply. Here it is again, with emphasis capitialized, because you must have missed it the first time around.

It's not as confusing as you believe it is.

It doesn't matter what size your party is to make reservations at the SPECIALITY RESTAURANTS. You MUST make reservations for them.

But it does matter what the size of your party is at the MAIN RESTAURANTS. You DON'T have to make reservations for them. You can just show up and get a seat. They will ALLOW LARGE parties to make reservations, but DISCOURAGE SMALL parties from doing so.

Additionally:

Discourage doesn't mean small parties can't make reservations. It means they would prefer small parties to just show up. They also prefer that large parties to make a reservation. Here's why!

The shore side comments I wrote earlier is true. I didn't think I would have to give an example. But I guess I do!:eek:

Let's assume you have a party of four dining at Outback Steakhouse on a busy Friday night. You just show up, wait inline and get seated when a table opens.

Then let's assume you have a party of 12 for Outback Steakhouse. To seat 12, they will have to move three, possibly four tables, into one long table. While you could just show up and wait forever for that many tables in one locale to be cleared, SMART diners would call in a reservation so that many tables would be reserved and set together for you.

The same idea applies for NCL Main Restaurants.

Sorry if you feel picked upon, but that wasn't my intent.:)

And it really isn't confusing, just apply what you would do at any mass marketed shore side restaurant.

If NCL encouraged everyone to book a reservation at the main restaurants, it would defeat their freestyle dining, as too many would book 7 PM beyond the capacity of the main restaurants. NCL would be better off going back to traditional seating, with two set times: 5:30 and 8:30.

What makes freestyle possible is that everyone comes and goes at different times, allowing tables to open for others, just like almost every restaurant at home. And just like restaurants at home, if you have a large party requiring several tables, its wise to book a reservation in advance, or otherwise be prepared to wait until the rush is over.

I prefer freestyle dining because I have chosen the first seating at 5:30 and received the late seating time of 8:30, much too late for my liking. Even 5:30 is too early for my liking. I prefer to dine when I wish, not at the time favorable for a cruise line.

In fact, I don't like to wear a watch. I have never worn one, nor do I wish to get tied down to time pressures whatsoever. Its enough in my life to wake up at a certain time and go to work at a certain time.

CruiseHealing, just ignore it. Electricron has a thing about lecturing on & on adnauseum. He always needs the last word. Thank goodness there are many others who answer questions without the need to make posters feel stupid for asking.

But you know, if you can not handle some basic questions with respect; from a fellow cruiser, maybe you should not be addressing questions on this website. This site is about helping people, not belittling them. If you are just trying to impress someone with your obnoxious comments you are just showing everyone that you are really unsophisticated and small minded. Are you not better than that?

CruiseHealing

You bash Electricron for exactly what you just did to him, belittling people and then you try to impress us with your knowledge about whatever it was.

To answer your last question: "are you not better than that?" The answer for you is obviously "no."

Keystone and Electricron relax. you are making hotspur look good.

CruiseHealing I'm sorry that you are being abused here today.

Now let's discuss cruises and not individuals. Look at the top of the page this is NOT People Critic.

Archived