Refused to Board Ship

sea-u-later

Has anyone here ever been refused to board the ships because the crew thought that they had a contagious illness? I once read a story of a man who had come down with food poisoning from eating a bad sandwich the night before and was not allowed the board. Bummer

Has anyone here ever been refused to board the ships because the crew thought that they had a contagious illness? I once read a story of a man who had come down with food poisoning from eating a bad sandwich the night before and was not allowed the board. Bummer

Several (not me) have. Not only because of possible contagious illnesses, but also because of incomplete/lack of proper visas and immigration paperwork, showing up too drunk on boarding day, screaming at staff while checking in, etc. In all these cases, I read that these individuals did not get a refund with the exception of one couple. This particular couple was denied boarding because the staff suspected this couple to have some type of contagious illness. This couple went to a hospital, had test done, which came back negative and the cruise line had to refund their money plus extras. I do not remember the line so if you want more information, consider doing a search. Good luck!

It seems like a lot of people should have been denied boarding after the way they act after a few drinks. Yelling across the public areas like they were at a playground, swearing at the staff, pushing their way through lines. Sometimes I wish they had "politeness police" on ship. But then they'd need a whole other deck just for the brig.

I read of a blind guy who came, alone, from Norway to the States to take a cruise. He was refused boarding at the pier because of his blindness. I think there was some sort of legal dust-up over the incident and the cruise line regretted its action.

What do you think would happen if you showed up with a case of Norovirus on the day of the cruise? Would you not be able to board and would you be given a refund? I often wondered what would happen in this case. When you are filling out your paperwork at check in, if you are honest about the illness, would they provide you with a refund of your cruise even if you hadn't purchased trip cancellation or trip delay insurance. We always purchase it as we have very elderly parents and you just never know when you might need to cancel or get back in a hurry. However, I would imagine that if people didn't want to lose out on their entire cruise fare, this would encourage them to lie on this pre-boarding form. What happens in these cases, I wonder???:confused:

What do you think would happen if you showed up with a case of Norovirus on the day of the cruise? Would you not be able to board and would you be given a refund? I often wondered what would happen in this case. When you are filling out your paperwork at check in, if you are honest about the illness, would they provide you with a refund of your cruise even if you hadn't purchased trip cancellation or trip delay insurance. We always purchase it as we have very elderly parents and you just never know when you might need to cancel or get back in a hurry. However, I would imagine that if people didn't want to lose out on their entire cruise fare, this would encourage them to lie on this pre-boarding form. What happens in these cases, I wonder???:confused:

Do not collect $200.00 (or a refund).... No insurance your very out of luck. Never heard of it anyother way .

With all of the coverage of shipboard illnesses, you'd think cruiselines would start being a little more lenient for thsoe who trying to do right by everyone else by not boarding the ship sick.

I agree ...if they would let people cancel (with doctor's note) more people that have virus or colds would stay home maybe.

Because they do not get a refund then they go and infect others onboard.

We had people on a Baltic cruise going around coughing and barking ..we had a lot of sick people on that cruise.

DH ended up 4 days out of commission and $500. lighter for the doctor.

With all of the coverage of shipboard illnesses, you'd think cruiselines would start being a little more lenient for thsoe who trying to do right by everyone else by not boarding the ship sick.

While not 100% certain on this.........I believe RC will refund 100% money to anyone not allowed boarding suspected of having norovirus. Maybe somebody can actually confirm this.........the last thing they want is a sick person on board with something that will spread like wildfire........I believe you would get the refund.......

but not positive.

I haven't seen this situation on a ship but have on an airline. On our way down to Jamaica a couple and their toddler were turned away from the airline because of an obvious case of chicken pox. The child looked miserable and was crying the whole time while in his mother's arms as she was arrogantly yelling at the airline employees. A simple case of "I waited a long time for this vacation and paid lots of money and I'm not turning back because it's all about ME!

They did NOT board the flight:D.

I would thinkthat unless the person was actively vomitting or (in the case of something like chicken pox) visible contagious, it would be tough to turn someone away on just a thought that they might be sick. And actually, if the child's pox have passed the oozing stage (sorry to be graphic) they are no longer contagious, just spotty.

I cough ALOT. Nothing contagious, I just had several rounds of bronchitis as a teen and now dry air, cold air, too humid air, too hot air, anything makes me cough. It's a really pretty, hack up a lung cough too. My allergies tend to flare up whenever I change geographical areas, so my nose is often runny and red for a day or too. So would I be turned away?

I also don't fly well... Take lots of drugs, but sometimes turn up looking a little green. So would I be turned away?

Who would be the one to determine that someone can't board the ship?

I once read on these boards somewhere about a family that was denied boarding because their very young daughter had thrown up while waiting to board. And, the reason was not because she was sick, but because she was so excited about the trip and had just gotten off the plane (excited for that, too). Those of us with children understand how excited they get over things like this. I can't say I blame the cruiseline, but I felt for the family, too. I believe they were given the option of sailing at a different time with no penalty. I can't remember the cruiseline, though.

Maybe they could lie if they are beyond the vomiting and diahrrea stage! Whenever I have had it though-there would be no way I could board in that state! No fun sitting on a throne and holding a trashcan to your face!

Not sure about all cruiselines, but here is what Carnival will do

http://www.sltrib.com/healthscience/ci_4831394

Jennifer de la Cruz, a spokeswoman for Carnival Cruise Lines, which saw a big outbreak of the bug in November on a transatlantic crossing of the Liberty, said if a passenger cancels citing Norovirus-like symptoms, the line will credit toward a future cruise with medical documentation.

And if a passenger shows up at port ready to embark on a cruise and admits being ill, she said, "We'll give them full credit for a future cruise, so there's no downside."

While this sounds great, I still dont think many would admit to being sick, unless they were traveling alone. Since the others in their party wouldnt be able to get a refund.

Archived