Member who lives in St.Lucia

caribbeandiva

Hi:

Just curious about how windy it is in St. Lucia. We are planning on staying at the new Coconut Beach Resort on the SE side of the island near the airport. Do you know much about this new resort? It sounds perfect for us. I have two kids, 13 & 10 and they are looking forward to the pools and slides they have at the resort. My wife is looking forward to the beach. I'm just afraid of it being too windy on that side of the island.

Can you offer your opinion? And any news about the Coconut Resort will be welcomed also.

Thanks.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I suspect that this hotel is the former Club Med hotel which is located in Vieux Fort in the South East. Don't know much about the hotel, in fact I did not even realise that it was open for business, but it's a great location although there is not a whole lot to see in that part of the island. Most of the activities/resorts are in the north.

Caribbean Diva.:D

Yes, it is the former club Med and it will be opening in February. They have added a water park for the kids and totally gutted out all the rooms so it sounds like it will be a nice "new" resort.

Do you know how windy it is on that side of the island? Are the waves rough along that stretch of beach? The grand opening prices are too good to pass up but I am a bit concerned about the wind and waves. I think there is a reef in that area that will keep the waves down. Have you ever been to the old club med resort? Seen the beach?

Thanks.

Yes, it is the former club Med and it will be opening in February. They have added a water park for the kids and totally gutted out all the rooms so it sounds like it will be a nice "new" resort.

Do you know how windy it is on that side of the island? Are the waves rough along that stretch of beach? The grand opening prices are too good to pass up but I am a bit concerned about the wind and waves. I think there is a reef in that area that will keep the waves down. Have you ever been to the old club med resort? Seen the beach?

Thanks.

Hi Randy,

Yes I did visit the hotel in the old days..it is on the Atlantic side so it is a bit rougher than the Caribbean side. There is alot of wind surfing and the likes done in the vicinity of that resort..but what I recall of that resort is very pleasant...come on down..I,m sure you'll have a great time.

CD.;)

Couple questions? I am on Serenade of the Seas in early February.

1. Resorts - Day Passes. I have read about Sandals, Rendevous, etc. Thoughts? I thought I read where Rendevous would accept only couples. I will be on my own as the my sister and her husband have something else booked. Looking for nice pool/beach/food ... relaxing! Is there as way to get an all-inclusive package with transportation to and from the ship that can be obtained in advance? Please note any pertinenet websites.

2. On quite another level ... I was looking at the tour for cruise ship passengers offered by Jungle Tours. Any thoughts? Again if you can point me to any references pro or con I will appreciate it.

Did Shal's Jungle Tour two years ago and it was a blast! I had a sprained ankle so I was limited about what I could do, but it was the best tour we've ever done! If you have a bad back you should rethink it. You travel in an open Land Rover thru the winding and sometimes trecherous roads of St. Lucia. Visits to the Volcano, thru the banana plantation, waterfalls, and out to lunch with a beautiful view of the pitons. The ride itself was amazing and to actually see how people live on the hillsides........just a wonderful trip.

Yes, dralston, that't the tour! What a great time. You may not want to hike down to the waterfall. I tried but with my sprained ankle, I was using a cane and didn't want to chance hurting it any further! Can you beleive I turned my ankle coming off the plane on the way TO the cruise!!!

We will be in St. Lucia in March off the Norwegian Spirit. Is this a good place to see by bicycle or is it too hilly? How long is the island and would we be able to see the major sights or are the distances too great?

Thanks

Hi Snowescape...nix the bike riding idea:eek:..St. Lucia is too hilly and driving is dangerous. I would not recommend at all. Hire a driver it's much safer and for you more scenic.:D

Carribeandiva,

Thanks for all the wonderful information you have provided. We will be on the Constellation sailing from San Juan on Nov. 26. We would like to go to a beach and I read about Choc beach and Reduit, but my question is which beach would be easy for someone with 2 artificial knees to walk into the water. I need a beach with no big drop off (even 1 foot is a big dropoff for me) and no big undertow. Thanks again for all your information.

Katie

We are the process of booking our honeymoon in St Lucia the first week in October. Is this rainy season? We are seriously considering Sandals. We are leaning towards the Grande. Any recomendations?

Thanks for any help.

Carribeandiva,

Thanks for all the wonderful information you have provided. We will be on the Constellation sailing from San Juan on Nov. 26. We would like to go to a beach and I read about Choc beach and Reduit, but my question is which beach would be easy for someone with 2 artificial knees to walk into the water. I need a beach with no big drop off (even 1 foot is a big dropoff for me) and no big undertow. Thanks again for all your information.

katie

Hi Katie,

Most of the beaches on the Caribbean side of the island are pretty sheltered..so I would suggest Choc Bay and secondly Reduit Beach for you as these are very accessible and have facilities on spot. Hope you have a great time!:)

C.D

i'm sure that you've probably answered this somewhere on these boards so forgive me for asking again...we'll be in st.lucia next dec. could we see the pitons and go to reduit beach in the same day? icon11.gif

I would recommend heading to Soufriere to see the Pitons first..assuming that you are not planning to spend a long time down there. Personally I can do that trip in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It all depends on what you want to do..juist see the Pitons and take a few pictures for explore the Soufriere are a bit. It certainly can be done but of course your ship's schedule will determine how leisurely a trip it will be.

Good luck!

C.D.

We are the process of booking our honeymoon in St Lucia the first week in October. Is this rainy season? We are seriously considering Sandals. We are leaning towards the Grande. Any recomendations?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there....

Congrats on the wedding!

October is definitely rainy season as well as hurricane season. Having said that we have been pretty lucky as far as hurricanes go..come on down.

Sandals Grande is great, it's the newest one and you still get to visit and hang out at the other two, the Regency and Halcyon, so you really can't lose.;)

C.D.

Hi Caribbeandiva,

It's so nice of you to answer our questions. I'm traveling by cruise to St. Lucia in April with my husband and another couple. It's the last island on our cruise and we want to have a fun beach day. Last time we were on St. Lucia we bought day passes to Sandal's and had a wonderful day, but we're treating the other couple and $100 x 4 is too expensive for us.

My question is.....should we get day passes to Rendezvous Resort or just go to Reduit Beach on our own? We'd like an afternoon with chairs, tropical drinks and food on a lovely beach to end our vacation. Do you think we'll have a better time at Rendevous or would Reduit be more fun?

Thanks in advance,

Dee

Hi Caribbeandiva,

It's so nice of you to answer our questions. I'm traveling by cruise to St. Lucia in April with my husband and another couple. It's the last island on our cruise and we want to have a fun beach day. Last time we were on St. Lucia we bought day passes to Sandal's and had a wonderful day, but we're treating the other couple and $100 x 4 is too expensive for us.

My question is.....should we get day passes to Rendezvous Resort or just go to Reduit Beach on our own? We'd like an afternoon with chairs, tropical drinks and food on a lovely beach to end our vacation. Do you think we'll have a better time at Rendevous or would Reduit be more fun?

Thanks in advance,

Dee

Hi Denise..

Actually I am a "Denyse" also!:D...Personally I would recommend Reduit Beach since it is a nicer beach with more to offer in the way of water sports etc etc..great views of the surrounding hotels especially Sandals Grande and also you are spoilt for choice with regards to food options..not too far from the beach about a 5 or 10 minute walk is the Lime restaurant which serves great local food for about USD6.00 a meal..very popular with locals, plus there is Spinakers right on the beach if you want more traditional fare.

Best regards,

Denyse/Caribbean Diva.:)

Archived